As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[futurama] "almost ten deliveries per year!"

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Sentry wrote: »
    see317 wrote: »
    Smaug6 wrote: »
    Love Hedonism Bot. It was sad when everyone was killed as his orgy, but fortunately he survived. Thats the danger you get when you have atomic powered stripper-bots. As if regular ones weren't bad enough!

Jambi! More Oil!

I love the idea of an entire gigantic warehouse filled with deactivated hedonism-bots, just waiting for the current one to explode or otherwise die in some horribly decadent way. Then, the next hedonism bot in line activates and shuffles out the door. No explanation for why this warehouse exists, or who created it, or why they felt it necessary that there always be a hedonism bot.

I love this idea as well. I love trying to think up reasons why anyone would want to create or purchase a hedonism bot.

Potential backstory:

In 2669, The Empire of the Americas was nearing the tipping point of an economic crisis. True, the sudden arrival and influx of aliens (intergalactic and otherwise) provided labor and a steady stream of new technology, but the food shortages of the early 2600s had already taxed the infrastructure of a once great civilization. During this time, a grassroots movement against the "Glitterati" (so-called because of the urban legend that they arrived covered in space dust) began in the bible belt (formerly the western coast of the United States and most of Canada.

Part of this movement championed the idea that if jobs and income were removed from the economic cycle, then the aliens would have no choice but to go back where they came from. Unfortunately, this method proved somewhat effective and the sudden constriction of the empires wealth took a hefty toll on the people of Earth, creating what would come to be known as the great Stagno-depresso-recession. People stopped spending money altogether,deciding that it was more important that they save what bonds they could rather than eat.

After almost twenty years of untold economic hardship and a system-wide economic meltdown that impacted communities as far aways as Jupiter's third moon, the people of Earth began to cry out for a return to their glory days of plenty and the constant flow of money and wealth. Looking back at history, they viewed the excesses of the 2000s and 2200s as the height of their power and influence. An engineer by the name Davemeyer Wax, descendent of the legendary Economic Supermind Ben Stein came up with an idea.

According to writings possibly attributed to his beloved ancestory (a man so talented at economics that he could win his own money) what an economy really needed was a class dedicated solely to hiring. Movers and shakers of the world. Without people emploiying other people there was no motion and no growth to the economy of the world. However, experiments in the past had revealed that people were too hellbent on saving money, so when the rich had too much they didn't spend it but rather allowed it to accumulate. Money unspent is no good.

There had to be a better way.

The only way to ensure that all the money earned was thrust back into the economy and not squandered in banks and investments was to create a machine designed solely to spend money. A machine entirely built upon the principle of having no principles. A machine of solid gold.

And so hedonism-bot was born.

After the creation of Hedonism-bot 1.0 and his introduction into the still stagnant economy of earth, he threw the biggest most ragingest party in the history of the solar system. Almost overnight, the per capita consumption of hookers and blow octupled.

The economy, lethargic after so many years, lurched back to life and brought a number of industries back from the brink of starvation.

So throough and impressive was Hedonism-bot's effect on the global and even pan-galactic economy that an act passed through the Senate with an unprecented 208 to 20 and the House with a never-before-seen 7 - 2. The act in question nationalized Hedonism-bot and required that there be at least one in circulation at all times. In periods of economic stagnation the legislature is empowered to activate no more than two additional Hedonism-bots, but after the recession is over two of them must fight to the death for the amusement of the third.

Or maybe I'm overthinking it.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2011
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Sentry wrote: »
    see317 wrote: »
    Smaug6 wrote: »
    Love Hedonism Bot. It was sad when everyone was killed as his orgy, but fortunately he survived. Thats the danger you get when you have atomic powered stripper-bots. As if regular ones weren't bad enough!

Jambi! More Oil!

I love the idea of an entire gigantic warehouse filled with deactivated hedonism-bots, just waiting for the current one to explode or otherwise die in some horribly decadent way. Then, the next hedonism bot in line activates and shuffles out the door. No explanation for why this warehouse exists, or who created it, or why they felt it necessary that there always be a hedonism bot.

I love this idea as well. I love trying to think up reasons why anyone would want to create or purchase a hedonism bot.

Potential backstory:

In 2669, The Empire of the Americas was nearing the tipping point of an economic crisis. True, the sudden arrival and influx of aliens (intergalactic and otherwise) provided labor and a steady stream of new technology, but the food shortages of the early 2600s had already taxed the infrastructure of a once great civilization. During this time, a grassroots movement against the "Glitterati" (so-called because of the urban legend that they arrived covered in space dust) began in the bible belt (formerly the western coast of the United States and most of Canada.

Part of this movement championed the idea that if jobs and income were removed from the economic cycle, then the aliens would have no choice but to go back where they came from. Unfortunately, this method proved somewhat effective and the sudden constriction of the empires wealth took a hefty toll on the people of Earth, creating what would come to be known as the great Stagno-depresso-recession. People stopped spending money altogether,deciding that it was more important that they save what bonds they could rather than eat.

After almost twenty years of untold economic hardship and a system-wide economic meltdown that impacted communities as far aways as Jupiter's third moon, the people of Earth began to cry out for a return to their glory days of plenty and the constant flow of money and wealth. Looking back at history, they viewed the excesses of the 2000s and 2200s as the height of their power and influence. An engineer by the name Davemeyer Wax, descendent of the legendary Economic Supermind Ben Stein came up with an idea.

According to writings possibly attributed to his beloved ancestory (a man so talented at economics that he could win his own money) what an economy really needed was a class dedicated solely to hiring. Movers and shakers of the world. Without people emploiying other people there was no motion and no growth to the economy of the world. However, experiments in the past had revealed that people were too hellbent on saving money, so when the rich had too much they didn't spend it but rather allowed it to accumulate. Money unspent is no good.

There had to be a better way.

The only way to ensure that all the money earned was thrust back into the economy and not squandered in banks and investments was to create a machine designed solely to spend money. A machine entirely built upon the principle of having no principles. A machine of solid gold.

And so hedonism-bot was born.

After the creation of Hedonism-bot 1.0 and his introduction into the still stagnant economy of earth, he threw the biggest most ragingest party in the history of the solar system. Almost overnight, the per capita consumption of hookers and blow octupled.

The economy, lethargic after so many years, lurched back to life and brought a number of industries back from the brink of starvation.

So throough and impressive was Hedonism-bot's effect on the global and even pan-galactic economy that an act passed through the Senate with an unprecented 208 to 20 and the House with a never-before-seen 7 - 2. The act in question nationalized Hedonism-bot and required that there be at least one in circulation at all times. In periods of economic stagnation the legislature is empowered to activate no more than two additional Hedonism-bots, but after the recession is over two of them must fight to the death for the amusement of the third.

Or maybe I'm overthinking it.

So he's basically a guaranteed source of demand to prevent and get us out of recessions. Maybe every large corporation is expected to have an inactive one on hand to be activated in a recession to generate demand. For most, the lifestyle results in death by the time the recession is over, but Momcorp has one that just will not die.

Bagginses on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Or, y'know, the mere concept of a Hedonismbot is hilarious. Like vending machines for pineapples. Some things just don't need to be explained.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    There's a deleted scene from "The Devil's Hands" which mentions that tax dollars went towards building him. I'm with Taramoor.

He also provides employment for muscular men of various exotic ethnicities.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    There's a deleted scene from "The Devil's Hands" which mentions that tax dollars went towards building him. I'm with Taramoor.

He also provides employment for muscular men of various exotic ethnicities.

And calloused working men! Sounds like my kind of robot!

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Or, y'know, the mere concept of a Hedonismbot is hilarious. Like vending machines for pineapples. Some things just don't need to be explained.

What's wrong with a pineapple machine?

Bagginses on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    They've basically admitted in commentaries that half the robots they've designed make no sense.

someone built the robot mafia and Tinny Tim for example neither of whom serve much of a purpose

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Thinking about who runs the biggest robot company, the robot mafia makes a lot of sense to me.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I could see why someone who likes Dickens novels might built tinny tim

I like to think of some other Farnsworth-esque scientist behind all of the crazy things in Futurama. After all he's just one mad scientist shunned by the scientific community, there's gotta be more of them out there with universes in boxes and translators that only translate to a mysterious dead language.

Hell Farnsworth is probably personally responsible for Hedonism bot and half of the other crazy shit that goes on, but he's just forgotten.

override367 on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    They've basically admitted in commentaries that half the robots they've designed make no sense.

someone built the robot mafia and Tinny Tim for example neither of whom serve much of a purpose

Hey now, Clamps has a purpose. A very, very, very specific purpose.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Also hedonism bot has done a decent amount of eating in recent episodes. And while he assumed Bender was at his house for some sort of robot orgy, the fact he has a giant wine cellar with the most alcoholic beverage ever produced fits into the theme of gluttony pretty well.

I must need to go back and re-watch. All I remember since the rebirth are the hedo-sex jokes. Maybe the gluttony jokes just weren't any good.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    translators that only translate to a mysterious dead language.

Cette langue n'était pas vraiment populaire de toute façon.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Decius wrote: »
    translators that only translate to a mysterious dead language.

Cette langue n'était pas vraiment populaire de toute façon.

crazy gibberish

override367 on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Thinking about who runs the biggest robot company, the robot mafia makes a lot of sense to me.

Keeping crime up and police employed?

I could see Mom spinning that angle.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I could see why someone who likes Dickens novels might built tinny tim

I like to think of some other Farnsworth-esque scientist behind all of the crazy things in Futurama. After all he's just one mad scientist shunned by the scientific community, there's gotta be more of them out there with universes in boxes and translators that only translate to a mysterious dead language.

Hell Farnsworth is probably personally responsible for Hedonism bot and half of the other crazy shit that goes on, but he's just forgotten.

Japan is producing crazier stuff now.

Bagginses on
  • Options
    edited July 2011

Keeping crime up and police employed?

I could see Mom spinning that angle.

I was thinking more extorting people and giving the money to Mom.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    There needs to be someone to run the robot prostitution racket.

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Diarmuid wrote: »
    There needs to be someone to run the robot prostitution racket.

PimpBOT 5000?

86672_conan-obrien-pimpbot-5000.jpg

Taramoor on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    We already got that.
    bender-pimp21.jpg

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    obligatory

edit: hi5, cloudeagle!

Joolander on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Especially when you have hooker bot 5000 running around.

Hey sailing unit!

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    So it was alright. Zoidberg was pretty great.

But the writing is certainly not improving. There were two instances of "saying things right before they happen" (Fry falling out of his chair and Bender having the meatballs). With Amy's flag and sex comment not far behind.

Apparently they've also finally realized they're on a cable network and are ready to let the F-bombs fly. Although Zoidberg's was pretty great with timing.

• Options
    I think this episode confirms that as much as I love Clamps (and I love me some Clamps), he works best in small doses.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    I think this episode confirms that as much as I love Clamps (and I love me some Clamps), he works best in small doses.

Someone's CHAMPING for a CLAMPING.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    The episode picked up at the end, but I have to agree that the writing is still not there.

The joke where Fry falls out of his chair and the "Billy West" gag were painfully bad. Good thing Zoidberg's epic battle with Clamps saved the day.

And Christ on Segway, Hedonism Bot again. Always.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular

Allot of that can be explained by the robots being sentient and becoming part of society. So, they were made for some purpose, but they abandoned it and went their own way. Also, you could have robots building other robots for no real purpose at all.

• Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    I read yesterday that there are two fantasy languages in Futurama - weird, I never really noticed there was one

6BCxl.jpg

• Options
    I really like last nights episode.

Zoidberg was priceless. Though the whole "moon" bender thing didn't strike me as very funny.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I read yesterday that there are two fantasy languages in Futurama - weird, I never really noticed there was one

At least 2, but they are more of a code than a language. The first was a simple substitution and they were thinking it would take a little while before someone broke it (or even decided to try). It was broken the day the pilot aired, IIRC. The other language is a little more complex.

• Options
    Well, we got more Clamps than probably anyone thought possible. Clever making Zoidberg jealous of him.

• Options
    KirbithKirbith I appear to be made of delicious cake. Registered User regular
    Zoidberg flipping the hell out was pretty much fantastic. Also nice to see things actually go Zoidberg's way for once with him actually winning the fight.

Backloggery | Steam - Kirbith | PSN - Kirbith | 3DS: 4957-2249-4817
  • Options
    It's like I saw a completely different episode from everybody else.

The entire Zoidberg fight was not just awesome, it was a great piece of animation. From the wind blowing through his tentacles to the cracking at the end. I liked the Billy West joke, but I like jokes like that.

The only thing I would've changed is I would've made Moonbender the son of Bender and the Crushinator. Because that would've been hilarious and impossible.

Also liked this exchange:
    Moonbender: Did you folks come here in a spacey-ship?
    Hermes: Stop talking like that, you live on the moon!

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Smaug6 wrote:
    I really like last nights episode.

Zoidberg was priceless. Though the whole "moon" bender thing didn't strike me as very funny.

I would have preferred it if the Moon Bender was actually Flexxo, who was also in the Witness protection Program for an unrelated reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feE1G2sJty0&feature=related

• Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I thought the Bella robot was the best thing about the last episode

she was hilarious in every scene she appeared in

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    yeah I pretty much agree with everything Taramoor said

also we got Space Pope actually doing something

"Dearly beloved, it is with great speed that I now pronounce you man and wife"

• Options
    PopeTiberiiPopeTiberii Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote:
    yeah I pretty much agree with everything Taramoor said

also we got Space Pope actually doing something

"Dearly beloved, it is with great speed that I now pronounce you man and wife"

That was just so unexpected, and I loved every second of that appearance. But yeah, I have to say this episode was pretty great, and I really liked Billy West joke. My wife didn't get it and couldn't figure out why I was laughing so hard.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    I thought last night's episode was the best one of the season so far. The humor didn't feel quite as forced as the previous episodes this season, and there was a good amount of humor overall. Bender's "Robot Vision" was just hilarious.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Snu Snu probably isnt a bad way to die, the searing pain of your pelvis being crushed to powder notwithstanding.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote:
    Snu Snu probably isnt a bad way to die, the searing pain of your pelvis being crushed to powder notwithstanding.

Being raped to death is funny when it's happening to men, you see. Males are horny at all time, even when their pelvises are crushed.

• Options
    jackisrealjackisreal Registered User regular
    The magic just wasn't there for me in last night's episode...For some reason it feels like the characters are playing caricatures of themselves--like Bender is trying too hard to play Bender.