As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[futurama] "almost ten deliveries per year!"

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I love Jurassic Bark. Yes, it is sad, and therein lies it power.

Also, this episode was fantastic. Anyone who disagrees will be fired. Out of a cannon, into the sun.

Also,
    CASH BONE

Houn on
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I liked this episode. Not quite as good as the last 2, but better than the worst ones of the season.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    CASH BONE was the absolute best part of this weird weird super weird episode.

I liked that we got to see the smart side of Amy, but maybe a bit of b-roll stuff of her working on school would have been nice. It was like, ok, so she's got her thesis defense coming up but this is the first I'm hearing of any thesis. Or seeing her as a student.

Also, that her invention made no sense was a given for Futurama, but they didn't even pretend to explain it. Futurama handwave explanations are so great.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Compared to the last two I didn't like this one very much. I think unfortunately an episode with a lot of cats just starts to sound annoying fairly quickly.

CASH BONE was great though. Really I wish they'd done more with Nibbler wanting to be respected.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Didn't they only make one lolcats reference?

Far as I can tell. Only joke I didn't like was the cats "celebration".

Julius on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well damn. Wiki's saying they have been aired in production order, so we'll have to wait till the commentary to figure out why this one seems so tonally out of place.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    What are you talking about? If you shuffled this into the middle of the older stuff, no one would even blinked. It's a perfect return to form. I think you're letting nostalgia blind you.

Houn on
  • Options
    The DagonThe Dagon Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Zoidberg's new home was pretty funny.

The Dagon on
    Steam ID : TheDagon
    PSN : TheDagon
    Pretty much every game ever : TheDagon
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Unless that yarn was made of dolemite, how did it survive the lava?

Tomanta on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The Dagon wrote: »
    Zoidberg's new home was pretty funny.

The great part about that was I was 50% expecting it to be Fry.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Athenor wrote: »
    Well damn. Wiki's saying they have been aired in production order, so we'll have to wait till the commentary to figure out why this one seems so tonally out of place.

my guess: the script was written earlier on, but they delayed making the episode so there wouldn't be two Amy-centric ones so close together.

anyway, the episode wasn't bad, it just felt kinda off to me. Like it was rushed out the door without a final polish. It was still better than that garden of eden one and the weaker ones from the initial run. (and still worlds better than any given episode of family guy or it's ilk)

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It was wierd because the same exact plot would have worked way better if it was Fry who escaped the cat's cuteness instead of Amy.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    CASH BONE was the absolute best part of this weird weird super weird episode.

"Not enough cash? Too many bones? Trade your bones for cash! CASH BONE!"
    I liked that we got to see the smart side of Amy, but maybe a bit of b-roll stuff of her working on school would have been nice. It was like, ok, so she's got her thesis defense coming up but this is the first I'm hearing of any thesis. Or seeing her as a student.

She was introduced by Professor Farnsworth as an intern, and she was one of the students in the first Mars University episode.
    Also, that her invention made no sense was a given for Futurama, but they didn't even pretend to explain it. Futurama handwave explanations are so great.

It was freaking wooden crank with yarn dangling from it that apparently reached to the center of the Earth and could somehow siphon the planet's rotational force to the pyramids for beaming through space.
    It was wierd because the same exact plot would have worked way better if it was Fry who escaped the cat's cuteness instead of Amy.

I for one am glad that characters like Amy and Hermes have gotten more exposure. Why does everything have to be about Fry, Leela, and Bender all the time?

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hermes is awesome, and I appreciate seeing more of him, but Amy is not someone I care to see more of.
    except in the sense that I want to see all of her.:winky:

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    What is this Cash Bone joke you guys keep mentioning?

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    What is this Cash Bone joke you guys keep mentioning?

It was before the opening. An advertisement.

Julius on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I made it into a signature which I cannot use. Someone else use it.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/107712/CASHBONE.gif

Oh god it's so hideous and flashy. I love it.

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    RanadielRanadiel Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It's at the cold opening of the episode, even before the intro. It was also really funny because as of how Comedy Central runs the show - literally as soon as the last scene rolled from the previous episode(with a serene, happy ending), the next second has the TV screaming CASH BONE! at you.

CASH CASH CASH 4 YOUR BONES!

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

She was introduced by Professor Farnsworth as an intern, and she was one of the students in the first Mars University episode.

I know, but since then we have had seasons 2, 3, 4, 5, and 4 movies with not so much as a mention. I'm not saying it's invalid, but it's really weird to jump right in to.

It was freaking wooden crank with yarn dangling from it that apparently reached to the center of the Earth and could somehow siphon the planet's rotational force to the pyramids for beaming through space.

That's what made me so excited to see the show talk its way out of it! But they didn't even bother.

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    RanadielRanadiel Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I liked how Amy has been his grad student for 12 years and she never once considered the fact that she might be ready for her doctorate.

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ranadiel wrote: »
    I liked how Amy has been his grad student for 12 years and she never once considered the fact that she might be ready for her doctorate.

Well, she WAS his grad student. *ba dum PSH!*

yalborap on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It's at the cold opening of the episode, even before the intro. It was also really funny because as of how Comedy Central runs the show - literally as soon as the last scene rolled from the previous episode(with a serene, happy ending), the next second has the TV screaming CASH BONE! at you.

CASH CASH CASH 4 YOUR BONES!

Ah, my Tivo cut in during the opening this time, that's why I missed it.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Too many lolcats references, but otherwise a good episode.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
  • Options
    edited August 2010

I know, but since then we have had seasons 2, 3, 4, 5, and 4 movies with not so much as a mention. I'm not saying it's invalid, but it's really weird to jump right in to.

That's what made me so excited to see the show talk its way out of it! But they didn't even bother.

The intergalactic spaceship runs on whale oil now!

Basically, anytime I start to have a thought like this, I tell myself this: "the technology looks whacky because it's so advanced as to be indistinguishable from magic."

Which pretty much works: they have super-advanced technology but it only works in the broadest strokes because it was all developed to counter some other super-advanced technology being used for evil.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

More like the writers realizing "oh shit! If we keep moving Futurama's timeline forward with the real world, then Amy should have graduated long before now!"

And I love how everyone now automatically assumes that every instance of baby talk counts as a lolcats reference. God bless the Internet and its warping influence.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »

More like the writers realizing "oh shit! If we keep moving Futurama's timeline forward with the real world, then Amy should have graduated long before now!"

And I love how everyone now automatically assumes that every instance of baby talk counts as a lolcats reference. God bless the Internet and its warping influence.

Meh. There's always the story of the guy who took 10-15 years to get his Ph. D. Usually because they have kids. Which Amy did!

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »

The dancing cats and poster are a clear reference to lolcats if you ask me.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    That's 2 for an episode largely about cats.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    There were 2 scenes with dancing cats, so make that 3.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'm not sure I'd count the dancing cats. The poster certainly, but there were bales of people freaking out about dancing cats long before lolcats.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You guys are missing the point of the episode: LOLcats are teh evil and want to has your planetz rotational N-R-G!

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I don't recall seeing a cheeseburger anywhere in this episode. That is a missed opportunity.

Houn on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Too many lolcats references, but otherwise a good episode.

I repeat: Wasn't there only one?

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    The whole way they talked when the cats were possessing them was lolcat. It was like 15 minutes of a 22 minute episode.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The whole way they talked when the cats were possessing them was lolcat. It was like 15 minutes of a 22 minute episode.

...people have talked like that to their pets long, LONG before lolcats ever existed.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Or it was how people baby talk towards cats even if they've never even heard of lolcats

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    kdrudy wrote: »
    Or it was how people baby talk towards cats even if they've never even heard of lolcats

Or really any adorable thing.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Professor Sphreck and speil was fucking amazing and the only futurama part about this episode almost. and CASH BONE. I hope they do more of those.

Where the fuck did the dancing cats come from? I thought I was watching family guy or some other drivel.

I am ok with Amy being smart, but quit going between fry and leela are basically engaged, and then they barely know each other.

Edit: If we are getting these in production order, does that mean were not seeing the storyline in the correct order? Because out of order they both seem to be going between hot cold and medium in very strange order. I hope this isnt just a convenient mechanic

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    wtf people? people baby talking to pets is not a lolcat reference. cats dancing is not a lolcat reference. hell, ignoring real life, leela was doing the same babytalk to nibbler in show before lolcats even existed.

if the cats were asking people for cheezeburgers or riding invisible bicycles, THOSE would be lolcat references.

SaraLuna on