As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Art of War: Recognize your enemy, paint your target, thin his life span

• Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hey leaf, I'm going to be down in Kelowna next weekend attending a wedding. I'm wondering if you could tell me of Kelowna's local game shops so that I might perhaps peruse their wares next Saturday.

Quantum Games on hollywood road in rutland, on the 'right' side of hwy33 if you're going up the hill to big white. Lock your doors. But that's the best shop for models in town.

Dragon Cards is near the mall on Enterprise, but it's an awful place, sure he has 40k models but you'll see what I mean when you walk in the door, or especially if you try talking to that owner.

Every other comic store shut down, or deals only in comics/rc cars like the one near the corner of spall/harvey, the ABC hobby and shaver on the opposite side of the mall from that spall comic shop deals only in scale models and rc cars/planes/railroads.

That's about it besides used book stores, and there are no more model/hobby shops I know of.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    SvenskaSvenska Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I like the comicbook-ish look to em. The pop that each feather gets because of the dark lines. Or all the over exaggeration of all the shadows. Wouldn't mind seeing the unit from further away

Svenska on
    Since your name means "swedish" in swedish, I just assumed you were, ya know, swedish.

eNozN1RVNTYwUDVRNVUzUjOsMVQzRCON1UyApAmYbQZRYwaRBlOqZSYA7ZUOyQ==
  • Options
    SlapnutsSlapnuts Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So I decided to build a Ragnar and here's what I have so far. I would have taken more WIP photos but I had very little faith in my ability to actually do this. It's not turning out too bad, though. I'm not thrilled with the shoulderpad, but it'll work on the tabletop.

161m9kx.jpg
    zjuofm.jpg

161m9kx.jpg

2cei83q.jpg

9fprbl.jpg

Slapnuts on
    There are some acts so ruthless, some deeds so unpalatable, that only the Vlka Fenryka are capable of undertaking them. It's what we were bred for. It's the way we were designed. Without qualm or sentiment, without hesitation or whimsy. We take pride in being the only Astartes who will never, under any circumstances, refuse to strike on the Allfather's behalf, no matter what the target, no matter what the cause.
  • Options
    AlphariusAlpharius Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    lookin good!

Alpharius on
    Check out my 40k blog: WarHamSandwich
  • Options
    SentaphSentaph Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well, I'm still just starting with the painting and figuring out how to do it best. However, I figured I'd post a work in progress of Brother Sergeant Nikolai of the mighty Ursa Legion here:
    IMAG0007.jpg

I'm still pretty bad about getting the little details, my hand generally isn't steady enough for it. Still, the Ursa Legion looks good enough for the table and they've been a ton of fun to paint. The bear pelt on Sgt. Nikolai's back looks pretty cool!

Sentaph on
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    those are looking good, i would say a wash or 2 and a drybrush would be all you need to really take that next step. Though they are table top ready.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    edited September 2010
    Ok. After a few more hours of drying and whatnot, I've got the right arm shoulderguard on him.

34fya01.jpg
    8zelmx.jpg

2uh7pzt.jpg

I made him a sword, but I'm seriously considering buying the Ragnar model for the real sword...there's a great war raging in my head right now about buying an official model for a part for a custom version of the exact same model.

Slapnuts on
    There are some acts so ruthless, some deeds so unpalatable, that only the Vlka Fenryka are capable of undertaking them. It's what we were bred for. It's the way we were designed. Without qualm or sentiment, without hesitation or whimsy. We take pride in being the only Astartes who will never, under any circumstances, refuse to strike on the Allfather's behalf, no matter what the target, no matter what the cause.
  • Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    the real sword is bad. Really small, and connected to the model.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    All right Matrias, you've convinced me. I attached the sword I built. And here he is.

ivuwyx.jpg
    2mwfsj5.jpg

2r5g65x.jpg

2z6z7r8.jpg

Overall, I'm pretty proud of him, mainly because this is my second experience with Green Stuff. That's why the shoulderpad is is more fur rather than ornamental. I really only know how to do hair and fur. =) Hopefully I have a chance to get him painted up soon.

Slapnuts on
  • Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Slap, that's a great goddamn ragnar. Fantastic man.

I want to see it painted!
    leaf wrote: »
    altmann wrote: »
    Crosspost from 40k thread:

I made a blood angels:

These are for NAX who gave me a fuckton of guard to paint an assault squad and a rhino.

I can never to whites like that, which is what I want. How'd you do yours?

Prime white, then do a light gray base, then wash that with badab. Then hit the individual wings with skull white.

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    How do you guys highlight red? I'm wanting to keep up with the theme of "Extreme Highlighting" like I did on the Looted Land Raider, but I'm finding red very difficult to highlight.

I have tried mixing with orange, and while it produces a good normal highlight, it doesn't have the contrast I want. I'm using Mechrite Red as the base color. A blood red equivalent isn't as sharp as I want, but mixing with orange doesn't give it snap. And white + red = pink, so that's a no go.

Heffling on
  • Options
    NODeNODe Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You can either mix in yellows, saving white for the last few highlights so it doesn't look chalky; or you can go with pinks and then bring the rich redness back with warm red/orange/yellow glazes.

Depending on what paint line you're using you might not want to mix it directly with oranges as they often have a pastel sort of base. Mix your own orange midtones with red and yellow and you'll keep that vivid hue.

NODe on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I use the P3 khador red highlight for highlighting blood red, it'd be a stark highlight with mechrite red.

Example(Shoulder pads):

Captain1.jpg

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Raslin, that looks perfect. I will try cutting with yellow and see how that looks (orange tends to dominate red) and also look at getting the p3 color.

Heffling on
  • Options
    NODeNODe Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You kids and your fancy multiple hues of paints, in my day we had White, Black and Colour and we made do.

NODe on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You had to walk 20 miles in space wolves bits, both ways?

Full metal, too?

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Bits! They were one piece moulds.

J on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Well shit. I had geared myself up for a mass painting day. Pulled out the airbrush, set up the curtain, mixed the paint (with windex this time!) and pulled out my recently assembled Wolf Guard Terminators with Wolf Claws, Njal and my Terminator Rune Priest.

Started airbrushing the first terminator, finished him up -- everything was going swimmingly. The paint was the right consistency, it looked great on the model. So I started the second, got his arm done and the airbrush lost pressure and wouldn't spit any more paint. It's dead.

Fuckity fuck. Lost a quarter of a pot of Codex Grey and now I've got nothing to do today.

Anyway, here's the first terminator -- mainly to show off how awesome airbrushing is.

15x383.jpg

2s1udu9.jpg

Slapnuts on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Did you take it apart to try and find where the problem is? Airbrush of that size are really not all that complex.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Did you take it apart to try and find where the problem is? Airbrush of that size are really not all that complex.

I took it apart and completely washed everything with hot water and still nothing. I even put some seal tape on all of the air components to make sure I wasn't losing air pressure that way. The compressor is still pumping air into the brush but problem is the paint isn't getting sucked up into the nozzle. I think there's a tiny crack in the handle that is causing the air to leak out before it can suck anything up.

The air brush is old. Probably 13-15 years. My mom used to run a nail salon and used it for that business. So it's had a pretty good run.

I ordered a new airbrush for $37 on Amazon.

Slapnuts on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Might have missed it, but why windex in the paint? Airbrush thing?

Also, I'm gearing up towards painting my Gabriel Seth mini, and I'm scared to death about priming him. The last few minis have come out dusty, and had a lot of their details caked over. I've never had the problem with black primer, so I'm thinking I've just got a crappy can of GW's white?

Should I just go out and get a new can (the Krylon grey) or just fix whatever it is I'm doing wrong?

Svenska on
    Since your name means "swedish" in swedish, I just assumed you were, ya know, swedish.

• Options
    edited September 2010
    Did you try to remove the paint cup and see if you could feel any suction when covering the connection with your finger? I don't actually own an airbrush, but I would think you would feel a vaccuum there if one was being pulled.

Also, did you try running any sewing pins through the various bits to make sure there isn't a clog lodged in it somewhere?

I hope you like your new brush, Slap.

@Svenska: Windex is used as thinner for acrylics in airbrushes. It gives a good consistency, helps break up the paint to the right particle size, and evaporates in normal conditions.

Heffling on
  • Options
    NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wasn't there some stealth changing of the GW primer formulas, and now they're pretty much just a spray paint that's still labeled as a primer? Could be that

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I really hope so, seeing as how I've never had this big a problem before.

I'm really trying my hardest to get some results like Mago or Altman, or Sevorak. A nice deep red. With that and the fact that Flesh Tearers are red and black, do I go for black or grey for the primer? Hell, does anyone know of a good red spray from walmart or somewhere if that would be a better choice?

Svenska on

• Options
    edited September 2010
    Heffling wrote: »
    Did you try to remove the paint cup and see if you could feel any suction when covering the connection with your finger? I don't actually own an airbrush, but I would think you would feel a vaccuum there if one was being pulled.

Also, did you try running any sewing pins through the various bits to make sure there isn't a clog lodged in it somewhere?

I hope you like your new brush, Slap.

@Svenska: Windex is used as thinner for acrylics in airbrushes. It gives a good consistency, helps break up the paint to the right particle size, and evaporates in normal conditions.

@Heff - Hrm. I hadn't thought about the vacuum thing. I'll have to try that if I put it back together. I did run pins through all the holes I could and nothing came out. Last time I thinned the paint with water and it kept drying and chunking up, clogging the holes. The windex seemed to have alleviate that this time.

I hope the new brush works out too!

@Svenska -- Make sure you're holding the primer 12 inches away from the model. And when I'm spraying, I never directly spray at the model. I always make swipes at it. If you've not had problems in the past, you probably just got thick can of spray.

Slapnuts on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Svenska wrote: »
    I really hope so, seeing as how I've never had this big a problem before.

I'm really trying my hardest to get some results like Mago or Altman, or Sevorak. A nice deep red. With that and the fact that Flesh Tearers are red and black, do I go for black or grey for the primer? Hell, does anyone know of a good red spray from walmart or somewhere if that would be a better choice?
    Go for a white base if you want really bright, solid reds. Put any black over the top of that.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Coolio

Svenska on

• Options
    edited September 2010
    If you want a flesh tearers red, id go grey primer and then use a bright red. The grey base will kick it down to a cool flesh tearers color

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    White spray is a bitch, too.
    I've never had any problems with GW black but white can be temperamental.

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    It BurnsIt Burns Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'd suggest white primer for red aswell. Black can cover anything without problem.

It Burns on
    The slowest painter. Ever.
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Nax wrote: »
    If you want a flesh tearers red, id go grey primer and then use a bright red. The grey base will kick it down to a cool flesh tearers color

This.

I do almost all my stuff with grey primer now. Either Armoury or Army painter.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hmm, I haven't posted anything for ages.

That's probably because I haven't finished anything in ages :(.

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Me either. I have one model I've been poking at, but mostly doing nothing but working.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    someone explain why I'm painting this AoBR dread in Imperial Fists colors?

altmann on

signature.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Because you just finished Flight of the Eisenstein and you want to make an Imperial Fists army? Oh, wait...that's me.

Slapnuts on
  • Options
    It BurnsIt Burns Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

To redeem yourself from your playing of furries?

It Burns on
    The slowest painter. Ever.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    So I painted a WARMACHINE model of all things....

I bought it at PAX last weekend and I painted it up this evening. I really like it and it's the first time I actually painted eyes.

4981445044_e5a4eb092f_b.jpg

4981444996_aea4457f95_b.jpg

4980837271_0e549d26bc_b.jpg

altmann on

signature.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    AND YOU BASED IT! I love it. Now get one of these

Nax on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, Sorscha has always been a particularly cool model.

Inqret015.jpg

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Done making the purity scrolls for that case (I have several others I could photo if anyone wants to see, some with the inquisitor I or Sisters of Battle symbols.)
    Picture-1.jpg

They've been kinda mashed up and crumpled to look old and worn since these shots.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
This discussion has been closed.