As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Metroid] Thread: Other M is out! Mind your spoiler tags!

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Delzhand wrote: »
    That always struck me as one of Samus' less-cool poses.

She's trying a bit too hard, you can just hear the cameraman telling her to work it and she's like WA-CHOW, WA-CHOW!

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ok, taking bets on plot points.
    $10 says Feds cloned "the baby" and that's whats behind the distress signal.

$5 more: Samus ends up killing it

$10 more: she's "linked" to the clone because "the baby" fused/infected her when it died and gave her hyperbeam

$5 says Samus is directly responsible for Adam's death

$20 says some version of Ridley appears

In betting you're supposed to put down less money for more probable things, not more. Anyway, the majority of your things are debunked by the fact that Metroid Fusion exists and unless they're going to do some major retconning those things just plain don't happen.
    Also, from context it's pretty clear that "baby's cry" is a nickname for the standard alert that she's recieving, not a literal baby's cry.

Opty on
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Opty wrote: »
    Ok, taking bets on plot points.
    $10 says Feds cloned "the baby" and that's whats behind the distress signal.

$5 more: Samus ends up killing it

$10 more: she's "linked" to the clone because "the baby" fused/infected her when it died and gave her hyperbeam

$5 says Samus is directly responsible for Adam's death

$20 says some version of Ridley appears

In betting you're supposed to put down less money for more probable things, not more. Anyway, the majority of your things are debunked by the fact that Metroid Fusion exists and unless they're going to do some major retconning those things just plain don't happen.
    Also, from context it's pretty clear that "baby's cry" is a nickname for the standard alert that she's recieving, not a literal baby's cry.
    I know not a literal baby's cry. The hatchling was clone, the researchers did SCIENCE on it. Shit went bad. Baby's cry signal got sent.
    Also, I don't remember much of Fusion's plot just a few of the end bosses and X virus.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    projectdan wrote: »
    Timestones wrote: »
    Shady3011 wrote: »
    I mean...you guys are fans of Metroid, right?

I think we can be fans of a game and still think the story is dumb.

I doubt it will top the majesty of Bionic Commando.

I don't think anything can top the stupid of the new Bionic Commando.

Unless someone makes a film adaptation of Bionic Commando and then follows it up by making a video game version out of the movie. Then you will have achieved ULTIMATE STUPID.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4UdQVYkCZg

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    And that's the "better" version of the Street Fighter movie adaptation.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh man, if that trailer is any indication, the music in this game is going to be sick

Lemming on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Lemming wrote: »
    Oh man, if that trailer is any indication, the music in this game is going to be sick

Yeah, brief as it was, I really dug the track.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    Ad reminds me of the great PD ad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9Qa08QQ4wg

Turns out that a lot of the same people were involved in the creation of both of them

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Holy shit just watched "Metroid and Me". Damn. Now I'm pumped.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I like how they are keeping continuity and that live action commercial is brilliant.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I like how they are keeping continuity and that live action commercial is brilliant.

Kinda gives Metroid Fusion and the Prime Series the middle finger, though. Not a single allusion to any of that anywhere.

I suppose the game could end on a lead-in to Metroid Fusion... but I doubt it, not if they have sequels in mind like they did with the Prime games.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Other M takes place before Fusion, so not referring to events in that game kinda makes sense.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Krathoon wrote: »

Kinda gives Metroid Fusion and the Prime Series the middle finger, though. Not a single allusion to any of that anywhere.

I suppose the game could end on a lead-in to Metroid Fusion... but I doubt it, not if they have sequels in mind like they did with the Prime games.

Prime as a series supposedly happens between 1 and 2 so Other M could have as many sequels as it wants in it's own vague as hell timeframe and never have to worry about fusion.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I don't really see excluding the Prime games from the recap as dissmissing them necessarily. They're a fairly self contained trilogy and not much of what happens in them has any bearing on later games at all. It would be a waste of time to have the voice actor go "and then I met Ridley and this big damn Metroid on this planet where an asteroid crashed, killed 'em, releasing an evil goo that made a clone of me. Which I also killed. Moving on, I..."

Darlan on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Also the recap left out that time she competed against other bounty hunters for the ultimate weapon which was actually a trap, and that time the events of Metroid Prime happened again except she rolled around in morph ball almost the whole time, and the couple of times she was invited to a big interdimensional fighting contest.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    They also left out the part where she was looking for a sperm donor since she really wanted a baby because she felt her biological clock was almost up.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Nobody ever mentions Samus' mad cello skills.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Darlan wrote: »
    I don't really see excluding the Prime games from the recap as dissmissing them necessarily. They're a fairly self contained trilogy and not much of what happens in them has any bearing on later games at all. It would be a waste of time to have the voice actor go "and then I met Ridley and this big damn Metroid on this planet where an asteroid crashed, killed 'em, releasing an evil goo that made a clone of me. Which I also killed. Moving on, I..."

Super Metroid is now and forever ruined for me, since its intro doesn't reference the Prime trilogy.

Also, I think that more attention needs to be paid to the time she teamed up with Pikachu to get her Power Suit back from the Ancients.
    Shady3011 wrote: »
    They also left out the part where she was looking for a sperm donor since she really wanted a baby because she felt her biological clock was almost up.

*THUMP!-THUMP!-THUMP!*

...dammit, I only wanted the text to appear. Is there no way to do that for YouTube videos any more?

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Use vidurl instead of url.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Don't know if that's what you meant, but it works.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    He means using the tag [vidurl=youtubelink] instead of .

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Ah, gotcha. And now I know!

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Nobody ever mentions Samus' mad cello skills.
    Ah, NES Tetris. I play the cello and I like Metroid. True story.

DaveTheWave on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    To be honest, I've seen interviews with the main Metroid team where they've been asked about the Prime games and in general they always seemed to give sort of a "yes they are canon but we really don't give a shit about them" type of response (in so many words :P)

It really doesn't surprise me they were left off. I think it's kind of like how much Nintendo acknowledges the Capcom Zelda games (i.e. not at all)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Which is really sad, because it's not like the Prime games weren't awesome fucking games

I guess it would be one thing if they were steaming piles of shit, so the main Metroid team wants to ignore them. But to ignore three incredibly high quality games that carried the series for several years just seems...dumb.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Does it matter? Other M is a follow up/fall out from the story of Super Metroid. There is no need to mention the Prime games, which had their own three part, self contained story.

I can enjoy them all fine without them all constantly mentioning each other.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I was commenting on the flippant attitude of the Metroid team towards them, not that Other M doesn't directly mention them as canon.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I get the feeling this game is going to be a touch bipolar in that Samus is going to be all mushy and emotional in cutscenes and during the game proper she will be a space pirate slaughtering bad ass.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm still wondering if this is going to be good.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I get the feeling this game is going to be a touch bipolar in that Samus is going to be all mushy and emotional in cutscenes and during the game proper she will be a space pirate slaughtering bad ass.

Kind of like Batman? He's a badass that secretly can't get over losing mommy and daddy.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I keep wanting them to redesign Samus as a short haired tomboy that smokes cigarellos

Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Beezel wrote: »
    I keep wanting them to redesign Samus as a short haired tomboy that smokes cigarellos

"Hey Aran, have you ever been mistaken for man?"

"Yes, actually."

RidleySaria on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Beezel wrote: »

"Hey Aran, have you ever been mistaken for man?"

"MY PARENTS ARE DEEEEEAAAAAAD"

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    vol2page01.jpg

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'm still wondering if this is going to be good.

Why wouldn't it be?

Even if you don't like the story, everything else about the game screams quality Metroid experience. Most of the major outlets have said that the gameplay is superb. Some have said it takes a bit to get used to, but that is true with most games out there.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm guessing this game will score in the mid to high 80s, with the major complaints being voice acting and controls.

Toldo on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yea, the voice acting seems like it'll be...not so good. :P

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    And the new Samus suit looks like some kind of cheap happy meal version.

Darlan on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Darlan wrote: »
    And the new Samus suit looks like some kind of cheap happy meal version.

All I ever got was a cheap Super Mario Bros toy. But I was crazy about Mario when I was a kid, so I went nuts for it. To think, had I gone a different week I could have been saving the goddamn universe.

RidleySaria on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This just showed up on Nintendo's twitter:
    NintendoAmerica Hey Maxim magazine readers - keep an eye out for Samus and #Metroid: Other M in the “Rated” section of the September issue (out now!)

wow.....

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282