As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The New Comic Thread for Friday, August 13, 2010

• Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    heh heh

skyoshock

because it takes place in the sky

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    rfilyaw wrote: »
    One problem with our society is the amount of pity/coddling that occurs with rape victims.

LOL.jpg

mensch-o-matic on
  • Options
    newthnewth Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Goose! wrote: »
    Druhim wrote: »
    it is pretty funny seeing some of you guys get so outraged over this extremist feminist
    oh no, someone said something ridiculous and stupid!
    I must get outraged and offended by her getting offended, and say equally stupid shit!

I'm just glad I have something to do at work besides wait till the time I can leave.

indeed, what's better than whiling away the afternoon marveling at the batguano insanity of feminists? or the absolute glee they use censorship with.

newth on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You know what's great?

Not getting angry at people for their personal beliefs.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Koshian wrote: »
    *is a straight white dude*

That is so you kosh.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    newth wrote: »
    it is pretty funny seeing some of you guys get so outraged over this extremist feminist
    I must get outraged and offended by her getting offended, and say equally stupid shit!

I'm just glad I have something to do at work besides wait till the time I can leave.

indeed, what's better than whiling away the afternoon marveling at the batguano insanity of feminists? or the absolute glee they use censorship with.

Raping, that's what.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

Quite.

Goose! on
  • Options
    superlusersuperluser Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm usually offended by the rape jokes in PA, but for some reason, this one didn't even register to me. It wasn't until I read the news article that I figured out that they literally meant that the previous comic was about rape. I missed the ``raped by dickwolves'' completely, because I just sort of read that as some purple prose saying that the slave was being violated intimately and thoroughly on a continual basis. I didn't even make the connection between the word and non-consensual sex (which I suppose is actually pretty good, since rape is rather about power).

I will, however, defend the word rape. Kids these days think it can only mean non-consensual sex, when it can also mean many different types of plunder, rape of the land, rape of natural resources, and many other uses. It's a perfectly good word that has perfectly bad meanings, and I don't want to see those meanings get discarded.

Edit: yes, and canola.

superluser on
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Siernan wrote: »
    Man that website probably got more hits in the last 3 days than ever before and they are milking it for all they're worth. There's another post up today.

I am trying to figure out where they got these lofty expectations of GnT from.

Actually, the primary blog author has been in the spotlight of Bill O'Reilly before. You're small beans.

Yes, because Bill "Fuck It, We'll Do It Live!" O'Reilly is considered the greatest news media anchor in recent history, and to be on his show is practically a guarantee that you will forever be a paragon of whatever cause you're speaking for, and that all people everywhere will agree with you.
    Derisive jokes aside, Goose, I think you pick up a few points by never having been on O'Reilly's show.

No, but he certainly attracts more hateful jackasses that do exactly what he tells them to than Gabe and Tycho could ever hope to, and when he tells them to go after someone, even going so far as to put their head in the middle of a sniper scope, his loyal dogs do so.

So let me get this straight...

In your mind, Bill O'Reilly is considered more successful than G&T, because he has a bigger thrall of idiots at his command?

Are you fucking serious?

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    bawkbawkboo1bawkbawkboo1 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    LTM wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Isn't shakespearessister the same crazy lady who said that Joss Whedon, and all men in heterosexual relationships were all rapists?

I'm pretty sure that's the fundamental tenet of feminism

what no shut up

it's a tenet of lunatics who use feminism as their cover for being fucking lunatics

I would tend to apply that to anyone who self-identifies as a feminist at this point in our societal evolution.

Nah, you just don't know what you're talking about. Plenty of reasonable feminists out there, only you're too dense to realize that the most vocal and crazy don't represent all feminists. It's like saying Pat Robertson is representative of Christians just because he gets lots of airtime and says crazy shit.

Holy What the Shit, I seriously just read "Pat Robertson"'s name as "Robert Paterson". No wonder the sentence didn't make any fucking sense.

Also, Gabe and Tycho NEED to do a special addition post-season fourth panel on the creation of this strip. I don't care if Two player didn't film it, they can recreate the conversations.

bawkbawkboo1 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I don't know what you're all whining about

this is AMERICA, the land of total sexual/gender/racial equality

hey can I also create a philosophy where someone's sex/gender/race automatically makes their opinion worthless? honestly feminism shouldn't even be a respectable thing.

newth on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

hey can I also create a philosophy where someone's sex/gender/race automatically makes their opinion worthless? honestly feminism shouldn't even be a respectable thing.

Define feminism before continuing to be dumb about it please

Straightzi on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    newth's opinion is worthless to me but its not because hes a dude

im an idiotist

mensch-o-matic on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Kosh I would like to invite you to my straight white dude club.

It's called the republican party.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Naphtali wrote: »
    man now I have a hankering for lobster. god damn it.

At least market price up there isn't retarded.

You don't even want to know what lobster costs down here.

Javen on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    'weh weh my misconception of feminism weh'

hatin.gif

mensch-o-matic on
  • Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Isn't shakespearessister the same crazy lady who said that Joss Whedon, and all men in heterosexual relationships were all rapists?

I'm pretty sure that's the fundamental tenet of feminism

what no shut up

it's a tenet of lunatics who use feminism as their cover for being fucking lunatics

I would tend to apply that to anyone who self-identifies as a feminist at this point in our societal evolution.

Nah, you just don't know what you're talking about. Plenty of reasonable feminists out there, only you're too dense to realize that the most vocal and crazy don't represent all feminists. It's like saying Pat Robertson is representative of Christians just because he gets lots of airtime and says crazy shit.

Holy What the Shit, I seriously just read "Pat Robertson"'s name as "Robert Paterson". No wonder the sentence didn't make any fucking sense.

Also, Gabe and Tycho NEED to do a special addition post-season fourth panel on the creation of this strip. I don't care if Two player didn't film it, they can recreate the conversations.

I can already piece some of that conversation together. It's like the podcast drinking game. "Let's really shit one out." and "This can be our farewell strip." and "What time is it? I'm hungry." and at some point Tycho will use a new word that hasn't been uttered since 1912.

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Straightzi wrote: »

Define feminism before continuing to be dumb about it please

my post was in reply to the previous sarcastic post. which uses a typical trope in feminism, ie that straight white males opinions are meaningless(or any combination of the three theoretically). oftentimes when you hear the word privilege, a feminist is about to decide that your opinion is meaningless(unless of course you agree with the feminist).

sorry if its too insider for you.

newth on
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Yes, because blanket dismissal of a concept makes you seem more intelligent than the radical fringes who support that concept's extreme implications.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    SiernanSiernan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You know what's great?

Seriously. The amount of stupid shit on this thread amazes me. Someone, somewhere, posted an article pointing out that they didn't find the comic funny, and we get 20 pages of LOLRAEP and the blog gets such wonderful comments as this:

http://shakespearessister.blogspot.com/2010/08/quote-of-day_13.html
    "I find it ridiculously funny that the person crying and getting butthurt is some fat ugly bitch who no one would probably ever rape. Pity the poor man who tried if so, hahahaha!"

Saying that to the person who has been raped.

Also, all the shit about censorship when, in fact, there were apparently people sending G&T emails expressing their offense, anger, whatever. Saying you're offended or angry is not equal to demanding that you be forcibly be shut down by the police.

Siernan on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Yes, because blanket dismissal of a concept makes you more intelligent than the radical fringes who support that concept's extreme implications.

well it makes me discerning at the very least.

newth on
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    heh heh

skyoshock

because it takes place in the sky

God damn I want this game.
    It looks fantastic

edit: This thread took a rapid turn for the worse

101 on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    yeah, clearly what we need are more people who register here just to berate people

Jars on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    no one's opinion is worthless because of their sex or gender or race or orientation or whatever

but it can be hard to see the bottom rung of a ladder when you're at the top

Says a non-straight white male!

Hohohoho

I do say the view from up here is QUITE GOOD. *monocle*

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    SiernanSiernan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Man that website probably got more hits in the last 3 days than ever before and they are milking it for all they're worth. There's another post up today.

Actually, the primary blog author has been in the spotlight of Bill O'Reilly before. You're small beans.

Yes, because Bill "Fuck It, We'll Do It Live!" O'Reilly is considered the greatest news media anchor in recent history, and to be on his show is practically a guarantee that you will forever be a paragon of whatever cause you're speaking for, and that all people everywhere will agree with you.
    Derisive jokes aside, Goose, I think you pick up a few points by never having been on O'Reilly's show.

No, but he certainly attracts more hateful jackasses that do exactly what he tells them to than Gabe and Tycho could ever hope to, and when he tells them to go after someone, even going so far as to put their head in the middle of a sniper scope, his loyal dogs do so.

In your mind, Bill O'Reilly is considered more successful than G&T, because he has a bigger thrall of idiots at his command?

Are you fucking serious?

No, just that as far as causing a website to get hits from raging internet trolls is concerned, Bill O'Reilly has these forums outclassed.

Siernan on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    look at all dem database errors

mensch-o-matic on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

no one's opinion is worthless because of their sex or gender or race or orientation or whatever

I don't know how you imagine society but straight white and male doesn't put you at the top. just for example, numerous asian ethnicities earn more than white males. more women graduate college than males. what kind of freakish racist dystopia do you imagine we're living in that a some poor dude in the appalachian mountains is "at the top of the ladder."

but anyway, to some extent why bother. feminism is such a ridiculously assinine belief system I'm sure in your mind straight, white and male literally is the top of the ladder.

newth on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    You know what's great?

Seriously. The amount of stupid shit on this thread amazes me. Someone, somewhere, posted an article pointing out that they didn't find the comic funny, and we get 20 pages of LOLRAEP...

Mostly because the vast majority of people posting in here have enough of a functioning brain stem to realize that being the victim of a crime does not give you carte blanche to write a blanket condemnation of people who you don't agree with. Perhaps the means through which we dissented were a bit juvenile, but I doubt anybody in here seriously meant the LOLRAEP comments. Which probably would've occurred to you if you hadn't just gone off your knee-jerk reaction, and thought out what you were about to say before you posted.
    and the blog gets such wonderful comments as this:

http://shakespearessister.blogspot.com/2010/08/quote-of-day_13.html
    "I find it ridiculously funny that the person crying and getting butthurt is some fat ugly bitch who no one would probably ever rape. Pity the poor man who tried if so, hahahaha!"

Saying that to the person who has been raped.

The Internet is full of reactionary jackasses who will go out of their way to try and ruin someone's day. While what they said is reprehensible, if you weren't anticipating such a response, then you clearly didn't think things through enough.
    Also, all the shit about censorship when, in fact, there were apparently people sending G&T emails expressing their offense, anger, whatever. Saying you're offended or angry is not equal to demanding that you be forcibly be shut down by the police.

No, but going through the blog post, and replacing all the dissenting posts with "I'm a douche" is censorship.

If you're going to dispute a claim, please be aware that the shit you do on your blog supports your legitimacy in debating that claim.
    No, just that as far as causing a website to get hits from raging internet trolls is concerned, Bill O'Reilly has these forums outclassed.

Let me clear this up for you...

Someone with a dissenting opinion =/= Troll.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Uriel wrote: »

Hohohoho

Psst

Kosh is an Asian girl

Straightzi on
  • Options
    The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The fact that this "apology comic" has to exist is stupid. It's penny arcade, nothing is off limits. You knew what you were getting into.

The_Reflection on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    look at all dem database errors

The servers are taking quite the beating.

Also what are those pop-up messages on the website front page?

101 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The fact that this "apology comic" has to exist is stupid. It's penny arcade, nothing is off limits. You knew what you were getting into.

You realize this is in no way an apology comic, right?

Straightzi on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Uriel wrote: »

Hohohoho

Psst

Kosh is an Asian girl
    Meant to type "non-straight non-white non-male"

Alas errors of the database

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    anyone else getting errors on the news page that have to deal with the new twitter buttons?

error1k.jpg

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

Are you fucking serious?

According to two separate studies, the average age of fox news viewers is 65 and the fox news website has the least traffic among television news sites. Therefore, Bills audience is old and not into the internet, your argument is invalid.

Goose! on
  • Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

kosh you are way too "equal" to be part of the straight white dude club

turn in your badge and skin color and your ed hardy t-shirt/jeans/hat

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    @Nogs:
    oh thats what that is
    how do I get them to stop popping up?

e: stupid fast moving thread

101 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    oh my god newth please keep talking i am crying real tears

mensch-o-matic on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010

or the idiots who still think feminists are defined by the most outspoken, batshit insane women who identify as feminist?

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    oh my god newth please keep talking i am crying real tears

Tears of joy.

He's almost there.

Tallahasseeriel on
This discussion has been closed.