As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Craft some Stars!

• Options
    animal companionanimal companion xenomortis Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    thou mad

animal companion on
    VdxNI.jpg
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Butters wrote: »
    So "In Utter Darkness" on hard: fucking hard.

Block paths with DTs and get lots of phoenix to kill off overseers and lift up the big dudes.

Or

Block your ramps with gateways and tons of cannons and pump colossus then voidrays when they're available.

Also note that you do no start with saturated minerals and you will have to pump some probes for a while.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Collosi + Stalkers got me through hard and brutal with the bonus objective

I went through and tried some other peoples strategies after for fun, but found it way harder. Guess it really depends what people are good with

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    yeah, big ball o' stalker/colossi death seems pretty good. Did you use forcefields too?

Can you even build sentries? I forget.

TheStig on
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    no sentries in single player. So yeah, mostly just the deathball + hero units. 15+ collossi would dish out the major damage to ground, then stalkers could blink forward to take out air units quick and provide a bit of a meat shield

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I made colossi and phoenixes, mostly

lifting up the hybrids woo

also taking out broodlords before they get to any ground stuff

Wimble on
    4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I used DT blocks, phoenix/void ray/carrier. So many carriers!

And infinite cannons w/ colossus in back.

I didn't take the gold expo. If you don't need the archive part of the mission, you can immediately fall back if you want. 2 ramps right next to each other is a lot easier.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I can't seem to get gas in fast enough to do what you guys do but I'll try again.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I almost did the +500 extra kills on in utter darkness brutal.

I think I was 45 away.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I could wall off with DTs just fine but everything goes downhill when they spawn 8 worms in the base.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    saturate yo mineral line

Don't build anything but dts, holding off by blocking your left and right entrances with 6, and having a ball of the rest of your dts up top. The other units you start with + what the heroes warp in with should be enough to hold the bottom for a very long time, just make sure you snipe the overseers, build two more robobays and have each with a rally point to where the first three are positioned to give advanced warning of seers.

cannons

cannons everywhere

once it gets too ridiculous bring everything back to your ramps, you should have already won by this point, and now you just need to hold on for the extra kills, defend one ramp with all your air and regular units and have your dts on the other.

High templar are better for this leg, but not necessary.

edit: And I mean cannons EVERYWHERE. Everywhere you can build them. this'll take care of the nydus worms as well as cover your fallback to your ramps later.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So I went from Bronze rank 1 to silver rank 1 even though I beat platinum and gold level players.

I'm not sure how they calculate this thing but it's pretty silly.

Meiz on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Probably has to do with your total points. I'm like 8-1 vs diamond players in this past week and I still haven't moved up because I don't play 1v1 ladder a whole lot.

TheStig on
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Keep in mind those higher rank players could be on losing streaks/not where they're supposed to be.

Not trying to pee on your cheerios, but I'd imagine they pit people better than their leagues vs. those doing not so well to see where everyone should be.

It'll even out eventually.

What pisses me off is not having an option to wait around for people in your specific league. I want some rivalries damnit!

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I played some guy twice in a row today. It was good because I did something stupid the first game(base race on scrap, forgot to rebuild a hatch on the island and got defeated) and really worked him over the next.

Jars on
  • Options
    Bruce ForsythBruce Forsyth Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Near the beginning of the game I just played, my mouse hand felt asleep. It's not a pleasant thing to happen while playing. This game makes me so anxious!

Bruce Forsyth on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Towards the midgame I get this shooting pain up my left arm and a crushing pain in my chest.
    Boy this game sure is intense.

TheStig on
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So I was attacking the other guy and the entire left side of my body went numb and I lost the ability to speak!

This is probably the most exciting game ever!

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    TheStig wrote: »
    I had a dream where I had a 70% win rate against mostly diamond players and it still wouldn't promote me.

oh wait, it wasn't a dream!

If you've already had your "adjustment" period pass you by, then you're probably F-ed until next Season; my understanding is that it double checks you once after you first place, randomly after about 30 games, and then never does again until the season reset.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I am pretty sure I have not won one game since entering Diamond

I am Rank 100 in my division

and not getting demoted

Yeah, same deal, if you got promoted to Diamond after being in Gold, you're stuck until the season reset. =P

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    sarukun wrote: »
    I had a dream where I had a 70% win rate against mostly diamond players and it still wouldn't promote me.

If you've already had your "adjustment" period pass you by, then you're probably F-ed until next Season; my understanding is that it double checks you once after you first place, randomly after about 30 games, and then never does again until the season reset.

Oh I don't have 30 games yet. I know my lack of games is the reason I haven't been promoted yet, I just like gloating.

TheStig on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    sarukun wrote: »

Oh I don't have 30 games yet. I know my lack of games is the reason I haven't been promoted yet, I just like gloating.

Really? I would have thought with as much as you seem to play you would have blown way past it by now.

Edit: I should emphasis it's random between like 10 games and 30, so generally it hits after about 20-some-ish.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    People always bug me to play team and custom games when I log in. :(

Also I enjoy practicing builds with people in yabot more than I like actually playing.

TheStig on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    hehe

I haven't played this game hardly at all. It's quickly become like WoW for me; something I vaguely want to work on, but always find other shit I'd rather do.

I still love the game, but getting up the gumption to play it is difficult.

sarukun on
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    phoenixes do so little damage to brolords on brutal in the final protoss mission. Void Rays, on the other hand are baller and rape everything because they will pretty much always be charged.

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    In Utter Darkness is not one I am looking forward to on Brutal.

I don't believe I have ever beat it legitimately on Hard, even.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    It's not a level that you should aspire to beating "legitimately".

TheStig on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It's really not that hard on Brutal. Dark Templars and Phoenixes go a long way in staving off certain destruction.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    It's not a level that you should aspire to beating "legitimately".

Well, I mean I meant without debug tools and such.

It's a whole lot easier to get the achievements when none of your dudes take damage and deal 10 times normal damage and also you can spam nukes all over the map whenever you want and none of that disables achievements because lol debug tools.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Ah true.

Also, when is my campaign completion going to read 100%!?

TheStig on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I finally beat it but I think Dodgeblan is right and phoenixes after a while become a bit of a waste. If I ever try it again for the 2500 (big if) I might just go with void rays and carriers as the only airpowr after the first few minutes.

Butters on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    When they fix that bug.

I recall it being on the radar and people at work making jokes about all types of shit being the "secret 1%" (there is no secret 1%), but I haven't exactly followed the progress of it super close and I'm on vacation right now, so I really got no idea when they plan to have it fixed.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I finally beat it but I think Dodgeblan is right and phoenixes after a while become a bit of a waste. If I ever try it again for the 2500 (big if) I might just go with void rays and carriers as the only airpowr after the first few minutes.

You can't beuild either of these things until like 5 and 10 minutes in respectively.

When their respective hero units warp in, the tech unlocks for you.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Uh...I know Saru I've played the level.

:P

Butters on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I built 200/200 food worth of colossi and phoenixes. it was pretty boring on brutal honestly I had to sit there and wait like 3 minutes after 2500 kills for them to kill off my army.

Jars on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Uh...I know Saru I've played the level.

:P

It sounded like you were saying something that wasn't possible.

FUCK THIS MAN, I'M GOING TO HAVE BREAKFAST

Oh man, you wish you could have some of my awesome breakfast. I'm taking a camera, that's how pretentiously delicious I bet this breakfast will be.

sarukun on
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    walling off a pathway with dark templars is very fun but then they all die when an overseer arrives

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I made semi walls of pylons which the enemy will ignore for the most part. Since I was up top I had sort of a >units< shape going of pylons

Jars on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    If you utilize the autosaves and anticipate where they attack you can save them sometimes but yeah if one gets too close they're all dead.

Butters on
  • Options
    EggPuppetEggPuppet Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Phoenixes are amazing because graviton beam is amazing, they're extremely useful on that level

EggPuppet on
This discussion has been closed.