• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ah... no Uptown Girl as well.
    But 3 outta 10 isn't bad.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That whole "might as well look at something pleasing" thing in general has always seemed a little weird to me just because it's like - nobody ever says that about anything else.

"If I'm going to watch a movie about 300 strong, brutal people holding back a huge fuckin' army, they better be 300 hot chicks, right?"

"If I'm only going to go see one concert ever, it wouldn't be Metallica. Yeah, they're my favorite band of all time, but why would I want to stare at a bunch of dudes that whole time?"

Granted I've got some female characters myself, but I'm not using them because "aww yeah, I like lookin' at them boobies." Nor am I using my male characters when I do because "ohh dude I bet his package is smokin'."

Maybe it is a weird thing that I am capable of not bringing sexuality into my music game experience, because that seems to be a popular argument for using female avatars.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I always thought that it was odd that my buddy made an all-female theme band.

On my PS3 Fibonacci Bear is composed of RB2 versions of myself and three of my buddies for when we have RB nights.

...JC or DI, is that Ewan MacGregor in your av/sig?

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    JC of DI wrote: »
    That whole "might as well look at something pleasing" thing in general has always seemed a little weird to me just because it's like - nobody ever says that about anything else.

"If I'm going to watch a movie about 300 strong, brutal people holding back a huge fuckin' army, they better be 300 hot chicks, right?"

"If I'm only going to go see one concert ever, it wouldn't be Metallica. Yeah, they're my favorite band of all time, but why would I want to stare at a bunch of dudes that whole time?"

Granted I've got some female characters myself, but I'm not using them because "aww yeah, I like lookin' at them boobies." Nor am I using my male characters when I do because "ohh dude I bet his package is smokin'."

Maybe it is a weird thing that I am capable of not bringing sexuality into my music game experience, because that seems to be a popular argument for using female avatars.

Well, I played as Eddie in SSX Tricky because he had the best lines and they were really funny.

I played as Kaori in 3 because all the characters barely talked if at all anymore, so the only thing left was their appearance, so if I'm going to stare at a snowboarder's ass for the entire game, might as well be a woman's.

I mostly play RB with my own male avatar since they're actually customizable. I did make a female one, but it's Jade from BG&E.

People that kick people for not having a matching gender to their avatar just have something wrong with them though.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yep! Courtesy of a shoot with photographer Yu Tsai, though his site appears to be down now.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »

Well, I played as Eddie in SSX Tricky because he had the best lines and they were really funny.

I played as Kaori in 3 because all the characters barely talked if at all anymore, so the only thing left was their appearance, so if I'm going to stare at a snowboarder's ass for the entire game, might as well be a woman's.

I mostly play RB with my own male avatar since they're actually customizable. I did make a female one, but it's Jade from BG&E.

Like Santa originally said about it - you're doing it wrong. Ideally you are not staring at any of the character's asses while you are playing SSX (or any game that I can think of), but rather assessing the oncoming environment and the other racers and scanning the periphery for anything you can use to gain an advantage.

I personally just would see a character model there, either male or female, and unless there was something particularly strange or focus-grabbing about their ass, I wouldn't register it any more than I would their backs, or shoes.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Actually, I think he was mentioning the fact that if you're playing RB online, you mostly can't see your character behind the notes.

You have to actually look at your avatar in SSX3, unless you like crashing into the mountain and losing your combo because you didn't know how far you were into your move combo.

Some people may think of it as sexualization, but you know, I'm pretty secure in my sexual and gender identity so it's the other direction for me. I don't project myself onto a game so I don't care if my avatar is male or female, much like I don't care if it's a female or male vocal lead on a song I'm singing.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

It's not about sexuality at all. I don't want to fuck my character. I just prefer girl toons to guy toons for alot of reasons. I think that more effort is usually put into the features of girl toons. I think they normally look less silly (giant boobs notwithstanding). It's just a personal preference, and I'm sorry you think there's some hidden motivation behind it.

And your analogy totally falls apart because I can choose my avatar's gender. When I can't I don't care, but when I can make the choice, I choose female. by the way, if someone told me I was going to watch one of two movies, and one of them had 300 hundred doods and the other was 300 hundred chicks, I would probably pick the one with 300 chicks, if the plot was exactly the same.

Metallica isn't my favorite band of all time. If I had to choose between Fiona Apple and Rise against? hmmm. that's tough. Probably see FA, but not because she's a girl but because I've been a fan of her longer.

I have a preference for picking female characters. It has nothing to do with sexuality. I have no desire to become a woman. I have no desire to get things because I "pretend to be a girl" All of my wow toons are female, too.

belligerent on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'm not saying looking at avatars/characters is never important. I'm saying when I see this:

ssx3_790screen002.jpg

My first thought is not that character's ass. Five, ten, twenty hours into the game, going down a snow-covered hill at a ludicrous speed and busting over-the-top tricks - I'm still not going to be focusing on the character's ass. I have managed to succeed at avoiding hazards in the games I play without focusing intently on the buttocks of the character I am playing.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I usually create female characters because it felt less odd for them to be singing male vocal songs than the other way around.
    I didn't say it was a good reason. Anyways, RB3 means I get the best of both worlds on that front.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I make my avatar look the silliest so the band intros would be hilarious.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Actually, I think he was mentioning the fact that if you're playing RB online, you mostly can't see your character behind the notes.

A little from column A, a little from column B.

If given a choice, there's nothing wrong with picking an avatar that is pleasing aesthetically. Male or female. It's the argument that game enjoyment is somehow dependent on hawt polygonal ass that causes unfortunate implications.

I'll usually pick a female avatar when choice in gender is available, but that's generally because most games don't.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    why are we even being forced to justify our avatar gender selection apparatus at all? You know what I think is more ridiculous than the "...may as well be looking at a female avatar" mentality? Calling someone out for picking an avatar of the opposite gender.

anyway, can someone who already has a copy of the game tell me if they fixed the whole optical audio = unchangeable mic playback volume bullshit? It's annoying as shit that every time I want to play rockband on my 360 I have to switch to icky analog sound because I can't mute the mic's sound. . .

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    edited October 2010

A little from column A, a little from column B.

If given a choice, there's nothing wrong with picking an avatar that is pleasing aesthetically. Male or female. It's the argument that game enjoyment is somehow dependent on hawt polygonal ass that causes unfortunate implications.

I'll usually pick a female avatar when choice in gender is available, but that's generally because most games don't.

That is the part of this whole thing I've been driving at.

Belligerent, if that is not at all what you were saying then I do apologize for seeming to target you with that original post (though I did intend for it to just be a blanket condemnation of that argument, not you.) Your original sentiment very much appeared to be "I don't want to look at a guy while playing games," which is different from your clarification.

Though I do wonder, if it's purely a preference with the design choices of how people make characters in games, why would you choose the 300 with the all-female cast? :p
    why are we even being forced to justify our avatar gender selection apparatus at all? You know what I think is more ridiculous than the "...may as well be looking at a female avatar" mentality? Calling someone out for picking an avatar of the opposite gender.

You're not being forced, and I'm not calling someone out for choosing opposite-gender characters in games. All I was getting at is that saying "I'm gonna stare at a lady's ass in this game" is kinda weird.

Likewise, I would feel weird if any dude told me that he spent the entire duration of some form of entertainment staring at a character's ass. If that makes you super defensive, then sorry I guess?

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    OFFICIAL BILLY JOEL ANNOUNCEMENT AND SONGS!
    hmxhenry wrote:
    "The addition of the keyboard made me interested in bringing my music to Rock Band," said Billy Joel. "The game introduces music to an enthusiastic audience in a powerful way, and now also helps players get a grasp on the fundamentals of the keyboard."

“We are very excited to count Billy Joel’s celebrated songs among the first downloadable content available for Rock Band 3,” said Paul DeGooyer, senior vice president of electronic games, music and programming for MTV Networks. “The moment our fans heard we were adding keyboard game play, they have been clamoring for music from The Piano Man. We are delighted to be working with Billy to allow our fans to play his killer arrangements in Rock Band – especially the fantastic keyboard parts.”

Billy Joel has won six Grammy® Awards since his first hit in 1973. He has sold more than 100 million records worldwide, is a member of the Songwriters’ Hall of Fame and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and beginning Dec. 14, some of Billy Joel’s most-loved songs including “Big Shot,” “Captain Jack,” “It’s Still Rock N Roll to Me,” “Movin’ Out,” “Only The Good Die Young,” “Piano Man,” “Pressure,” “Say Goodbye to Hollywood,” “The Entertainer,” and “The Stranger” will be available as Rock Band 3 downloadable content and will include Keys and Pro Keys parts.

The list in an easy to read format:
    “Big Shot”
    “Captain Jack”
    “It’s Still Rock N Roll to Me”
    “Movin’ Out”
    “Only The Good Die Young”
    “Piano Man”
    “Pressure”
    “Say Goodbye to Hollywood”
    “The Entertainer”
    “The Stranger”

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That's not what I said, but rather what was interpreted. It has nothing to do with ass. Do I enjoy a game more when I can make my avatar female? Yes. Is it because of sexuality? No.

Put it this way: why do I want to watch an all female cast of 300? Because no one's done it well before. I've seen 300-like movies all the time. It'd be interesting to see the opposite, for it's titillation and more.

I make no apologies for my stance, either. I pick female characters because they look better then male characters, because it's fun to reverse gender roles, and because I don't actually identify with the characters I create.

belligerent on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't really think about the character creation in terms of creating an avatar for myself at all

I just think up a band and create four characters for that band. then I just play as whatever character is supposed to go with whatever instrument

so sometimes it's a female and sometimes it's not

even that's not true though because the overwhelming majority of the time I'm just on quickplay because who gives a fuck what the window dressing around the gameplay looks like

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    mantis23mantis23 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So I just got back from playing some more RB3.

The Metallica shirt is the only band shirt that is not a "premium" shirt. (premium shirts cost real money)

I took a pic of it.
    photo-2.jpg

Someone asked the character limit for band names. I counted 31 as max.

Also, I have no stats to back it up but it seemed CONSIDERABLY easier to 5star / gold star a song. On rock band 2 it seems you need close to 100% and/or a good overdrive path to get gold stars. I was missing quite a few notes and not deploying overdrive in the best spots and I was still getting gold stars all over the place. it's a nice feeling but really, I'm not that good.

So yeah, it's awesome and I cant wait until tuesday to get my own copy.

mantis23 on
    0y6kx4rwubui.jpg
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I just think up a band and create four characters for that band. then I just play as whatever character is supposed to go with whatever instrument

I do that, except when left to my own devices, I found out I create the exact same band every time.

Cool looking guitar guy.
    Brawny looking drummer guy.
    Stringy, somewhat effete vocalist guy.
    Rock chick bass girl.

Last time I decided to make a theme band, all male, black marching band jackets and animal masks. Turns out, the rock chick bass girl just ended up being a latino bass guy. In an animal mask. Only real difference.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    We Didn't Start the Fire being held back for Lego Rock Band 2

HEARD IT HERE FIRST

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The DS version

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    We Didn't Start the Fire exclusive to Guitar Hero: Megadeth

Dave Mustaine claims Joel as prime career influence

HEARD IT HERE FIRST

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Damn it, Wolfgang!

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Well this was the most relevant active thread I could find to post this question:

Has anyone here ever been to a (recent) Pixies concert?

I saw them last night, and while they play awesomely, I couldn't help but notice that Francis just seems to not like being there.

He didn't say a word, all he did was sing, he barely broke into a small sidestep dance. Is he like this in all his concerts or was I just really unlucky? I have read about him not liking to be known as "The guy from Pixies", so this seems to be some sort of manifestation of it.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Well this was the most relevant active thread I could find to post this question:

Has anyone here ever been to a (recent) Pixies concert?

I saw them last night, and while they play awesomely, I couldn't help but notice that Francis just seems to not like being there.

He didn't say a word, all he did was sing, he barely broke into a small sidestep dance. Is he like this in all his concerts or was I just really unlucky? I have read about him not liking to be known as "The guy from Pixies", so this seems to be some sort of manifestation of it.

I saw them earlier this year and I noticed the same thing

but hell, it's a sell-out tour anyway and he still sung fine, so I didn't complain too much

YaYa on
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    mantis23 wrote: »
    Also, I have no stats to back it up but it seemed CONSIDERABLY easier to 5star / gold star a song. On rock band 2 it seems you need close to 100% and/or a good overdrive path to get gold stars. I was missing quite a few notes and not deploying overdrive in the best spots and I was still getting gold stars all over the place. it's a nice feeling but really, I'm not that good.

I would be ok with that if true. It's really annoying on songs like "Camera Eye", where I can get streaks of 1500 plus, 99%, 450,000+ points, and still haven't gold starred it. That's just silly.

metaghost on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    How many here remember the pre-update LRB with the crashes and frozen systems and...things?

RB3 has been 'infested', too.
    I've had it happen a few times mainly during the scene where the guy is pushing the amp down the ramp. Again not really an issue until after the real release date in case there is a patch already.

To coin a phrase: 'Whoops!'

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    On topic:
    wooo, Captain Jack! Movin Out! Other classic William Joel tunes!

In re: lady avatars and the users thereof:
    this is really a topic for it's own thread. (in fact, I'm fairly certain we've had that thread at least twice)
    but the fact is, people don't say they love to stare at lady polygon ass because they actually love to stare at said asses, they say that because it's the "macho" response to a question that usually is an attack on their masculinity. the question is implicitly "hey sissy, why aren't you man enough to have a big tough guy character?"
    the question itself and that response are both sexist bullshit. it's a question that doesn't need to be asked and warrants no answer beyond "because I want to"

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    metaghost wrote: »
    mantis23 wrote: »

I would be ok with that if true. It's really annoying on songs like "Camera Eye", where I can get streaks of 1500 plus, 99%, 450,000+ points, and still haven't gold starred it. That's just silly.

I don't necessarily think that percentage should mean anything for star count, I mean, going by total score is fine so long as they are consistent with it. But it always bugged me to get 98-99% on songs and still not see a gold star.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So I'm sorry if this has been asked and answered a million times already, but does anyone know if there's any plan to sell RB3 instrument bundles in Australasia this time?

exis on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    probably only going to see a keyboard bundle at best

if you ever get the game or whatever

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Ross_CRoss_C Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't know if anyone has posted this already but HOLY HELL RAINBOW IN THE DARK's SOLO at 2:07

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvjL5m9q17o

That solo scares me

Ross_C on
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    probably only going to see a keyboard bundle at best

if you ever get the game or whatever

Well pre-orders for the game are available, but no word of any bundles.

Fuck this place :(

exis on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Ross_C wrote: »
    I don't know if anyone has posted this already but HOLY HELL RAINBOW IN THE DARK's SOLO at 2:07

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvjL5m9q17o

That solo scares me

now this time, with feeling

sdzm9v.jpg
    airstrikedrummerstill-1.jpg

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ross_C wrote: »

***holy shit***

That solo scares me

Challenge, thy name is Rainbow.

This will be my undoing.

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    that doesn't look that bad

I mean don't get me wrong it's gonna take more than a few tries to beat

but there's certainly harder stuff around

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    that doesn't look that bad

I mean don't get me wrong it's gonna take more than a few tries to beat

but there's certainly harder stuff around
    My thoughts exactly.

Having seen the chart(Cause I can't fucking get the game to buy), I can merely say: Visions, anyone?

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Without commenting on the drum chart, Visions isn't actually all that difficult. But what it does is fast and overly repetitive (the kind of stuff that would otherwise get 'Boring chordfest!'). Then it gets needlessly complicated by throwing in tempo changes and quick arpeggios. Slowed down and made to sound less like strangling crows, it'd be five dots instead of devil heads.

In the end it's a perfect storm for generating like-it-or-loathe-it feelings. The hate for it borders on being knee-jerk. And those who come to its defense do so so readily that their either being contrarian geese or they actually like the music but are incapable of understanding why others vehemently don't.

And most people could see it coming when the setlist was leaked and their MySpace page was linked... Nothing on RB3 will approach that level of disdain or progression blocking. (People are so worried about facing that song that it's a leading reason [that and it's over six hours long] why they wouldn't do the ESL2.)

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It's why I'll never attempt the ESL2 again

Because I got to "Visions" and failed

If I were a drinking guy, I would have been drunk roughly twenty minutes after that.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Oddly, in spite of simply breaking down and not doing the 'Legend' sets on my second band thanks to total failure to pass Visions, in three separate tries with ESL2 (2 guitar, 1 bass) I did not fail the song once.

Santa Claustrophobia on