As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I have something I want to share with you

2»

• Options
    Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    MKR wrote: »
    Hallowed are the Oreos.

The Holy Ghost likes them.

Wait, no. It was the Martian Manhunter.

Martian Manhunter likes oreos.
    He could turn invisible, read minds and was from heaven (outer space).

That's about as close to the Holy Ghost as you're going to get.

Of course if you go down this path, I'm pretty sure that makes the Justice League the Apostles.

Does that make Max Lord, Judas?

Oh my god, I definitely like where this is going, especially if it means Ted Kord is Jesus.

OH MY GOD. Ted Kord came back from the dead!
    If Ted is Jesus, Booster is Mary Magdalene.

And Jamie would be a younger Jesus with an alien supersuit.

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hallowed are the Oreos.

Of course if you go down this path, I'm pretty sure that makes the Justice League the Apostles.

Oh my god, I definitely like where this is going, especially if it means Ted Kord is Jesus.

And Jamie would be a younger Jesus with an alien supersuit.
    Batman is Thomas. Superman is probably Matthew. Barry Allen as Paul?

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hallowed are the Oreos.

And thus begins The Book of Guy Gardener.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    There is only one path for mankind:

CHAOS!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3G9YVEZ744

Though, seriously, the only reason why I attend the campus mass and stuff is because they bribe us with free food and ice cream. I'm like "Free food and ice cream? I'm a Christian!"

In reality, I'm a Secular Humanist.

Though, people label me to be a bit...evil.

Why?

Cause I make the argument that if someone like Superman exists, we will have to kill him. We can not afford to allow such a powerful being to exist.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    don't take this the wrong way but its highly unlikely you'll ever convert anyone on an internet forum to your beliefs. Everyone is entitled to their own views but saying that if you've ever even looked at a woman in a lustful way your dammed to hell is silly. Every guy is dammed to hell at least 500 times a day.

GaryO on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Kamar wrote: »
    I dunno, all that stuff sounds annoying.

I'll just stick to hoping the guys running the simulation aren't dicks.

http://qntm.org/responsibility

Awesome story.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    sidhaethesidhaethe Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, I'll just opt out of playing your god's rigged torture game, thanks all the same, though, Zach.

sidhaethe on
  • Options
    Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Kamar wrote: »
    I dunno, all that stuff sounds annoying.

I'll just stick to hoping the guys running the simulation aren't dicks.

http://qntm.org/responsibility

Awesome story.

He's got a bunch of others up to, his work reminds me a lot of Asimov.

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    OP that's not even remotely what the bible says. I'm a cheerful atheist, but something about that whole "just say the magic words and you'll be fine" gospel really shits me.

Faith without works is dead, bitches.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The Cat wrote: »
    OP that's not even remotely what the bible says. I'm a cheerful atheist, but something about that whole "just say the magic words and you'll be fine" gospel really shits me.

He got it off a five dollar tract that's made to look like a million dollar bill then typed it in word for word. Ground breaking religious scholarship this is not.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It's interesting that the word "hell" actually does not appear in the Bible very many times, and the concept only truly appears in the New Testament (any OT references are actually referring to "Sheol" which is different from Hell).

This makes me wonder why the concept of Hell, from which Jesus was sent to save us, only appears after the arrival of Jesus on Earth? Seems sort of backwards to me.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The Cat wrote: »

The OP says all that in the second paragraph. Stop sinning. Believe in Jesus. Mean it.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hey Zach, I'm wondering how logically you justify proselytizing with the other teachings of the Bible.

a. axiom: Faith is required to be saved. (Ephesians 2:8, John 14:6)

b. axiom: God wants as many people to be saved as possible. (2 Peter 3:9)

c. axiom: God is fair and just. (Genesis 18:25, Deuteronomy 32:4)

d. So what happens to people who never hear of God and aren't given a chance to learn the gospel? They must be judged by different criteria. Otherwise, God would be sending people to hell who never had a chance to change their fates, which would make him unjust (violating axiom c). John 15:22-24 seem to imply that those who do not hear of Jesus cannot be judged for not believing.

e. So if a person does not have any knowledge of Christ or the gospel, it is still possible for them to get into heaven. In fact, according to Rev. 5:7 and Rev. 7:9, at least one person from every tribe, nation, and language makes it, and obviously there have been tribes of people who have died out without hearing of the gospel. The criteria for those without faith is never explicitly spelled out, but one can reasonably assume it's basically "be a good person."

f. If a person is a good enough person to get into heaven on the altered criteria, but they are taught about the gospel, faith becomes a new requirement for this person's salvation. (see axiom a)

g. Hence, spreading the gospel makes salvation more difficult. If Christianity was truly in the business of saving people's souls (Which God wants, according to axiom b), they would suppress the hard-to-believe gospel and instead teach a code of ethics.

Please, let me know how you personally reconcile these. Since your faith is so important to you, I'm sure you've given it a lot of thought.

Huh, I always just assumed everybody who hadn't heard the Word just went to Hell. Especially everybody who lived and died from the time of Adam and Eve to the coming of Christ.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Zach BranniganZach Brannigan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The Bible says that salvation comes from repentence and putting faith in Jesus as Lord and Savior not good works, it's like if a criminal is about to be sentenced and he says "Judge I know I'm guilty but I've been good and done good things,so how about you let it slide?" see that wouldn't work against a judge.

Those who have never heard the gospel will be given justice. If they have lied, murdered, committed adultery, etc., God will punish them -- not because of their ignorance, but because they have sinned despite the light God gave them via their conscience. If you really care about them, take the Gospel to them and tell them how they may be forgiven and be saved from Hell.

Zach Brannigan on
  • Options
    Zach BranniganZach Brannigan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It's not about "The Magic Words" it's about letting God know your putting your faith in Christ and repenting. the Bible say that if you confess with your mouth Jesus is Lord you will be saved

Zach Brannigan on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    God gave us a conscience? I thought we stole that with the knowledge fruits. Why would anyone need a conscience in the garden of Eden?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Ringo wrote: »
    Hey Zach, I'm wondering how logically you justify proselytizing with the other teachings of the Bible.

a. axiom: Faith is required to be saved. (Ephesians 2:8, John 14:6)

b. axiom: God wants as many people to be saved as possible. (2 Peter 3:9)

c. axiom: God is fair and just. (Genesis 18:25, Deuteronomy 32:4)

d. So what happens to people who never hear of God and aren't given a chance to learn the gospel? They must be judged by different criteria. Otherwise, God would be sending people to hell who never had a chance to change their fates, which would make him unjust (violating axiom c). John 15:22-24 seem to imply that those who do not hear of Jesus cannot be judged for not believing.

e. So if a person does not have any knowledge of Christ or the gospel, it is still possible for them to get into heaven. In fact, according to Rev. 5:7 and Rev. 7:9, at least one person from every tribe, nation, and language makes it, and obviously there have been tribes of people who have died out without hearing of the gospel. The criteria for those without faith is never explicitly spelled out, but one can reasonably assume it's basically "be a good person."

f. If a person is a good enough person to get into heaven on the altered criteria, but they are taught about the gospel, faith becomes a new requirement for this person's salvation. (see axiom a)

g. Hence, spreading the gospel makes salvation more difficult. If Christianity was truly in the business of saving people's souls (Which God wants, according to axiom b), they would suppress the hard-to-believe gospel and instead teach a code of ethics.

Please, let me know how you personally reconcile these. Since your faith is so important to you, I'm sure you've given it a lot of thought.

Huh, I always just assumed everybody who hadn't heard the Word just went to Hell. Especially everybody who lived and died from the time of Adam and Eve to the coming of Christ.

Certainly possible, but if that was the case I would view such a god as cruel and unjust for sending people to hell with no chance of escaping it, and undeserving of worship even with the threat of hell.

Also, pretty sure that between Adam & Eve and Christ, the route to heaven was through A) believing in the right god and not being born to one of those heathen tribes, and B) sacrificing things to god to purify yourself.

I haven't studied the old testament that much, though, so I could be off on the details.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I do enjoy how as an all knowing perfect being GOD just loves changing his mind every thousand years or so or whenever someone important from the bible whines enough.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It's not about "The Magic Words" it's about letting God know your putting your faith in Christ and repenting. the Bible say that if you confess with your mouth Jesus is Lord you will be saved

So, what if a child murdering rapist puts his faith in Christ and repents. Does he get into heaven?

reVerse on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    reVerse wrote: »

So, what if a child murdering rapist puts his faith in Christ and repents. Does he get into heaven?

In the vast majority of Christian sects? Absolutely.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I do enjoy how as an all knowing perfect being GOD just loves changing his mind every thousand years or so or whenever someone important from the bible whines enough.
    It's almost like the Bible was written by a bunch of dudes in power who were desperate to keep that power in the face of shifting social norms.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

Or, you know, don't proselytize. The word of the Lord.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Those who have never heard the gospel will be given justice. If they have lied, murdered, committed adultery, etc., God will punish them -- not because of their ignorance, but because they have sinned despite the light God gave them via their conscience. If you really care about them, take the Gospel to them and tell them how they may be forgiven and be saved from Hell.

But no human is perfect. According to your religion, it'd because we've fallen from grace, eaten the fruit, turned away from god, whatever term you want to use for it. The point is, it's impossible to be a normal human being that never sins throughout your life. Christianity teaches that sinning is a constant part of living and only through the grace of god can be clean of it.

So what you're saying is that all of those people whose cultures never heard the gospel were sent to hell with no chance of getting into heaven. All because they were born into a society that would never hear of Jesus Christ.

That seems pretty unfair and unjust to me.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Bertrand Russell : Most people would rather die than think: many do.

What Bert is trying to say is we should kill religious people since it's so obvious that they are going to destroy the human race with their fairy tale bullshit.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited August 2010
    Okay guys, fun-time's over.

Mr. OP, this isn't the venue for proselytizing. There doesn't really exist a venue on these boards for proselytizing. But thank you for thinking of our poor, sinful hearts.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited August 2010
    The joke is on you buddy, God isn't real.

Tube on
This discussion has been closed.