Options

Du. Du [chat]. Du [chat] mich.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    how does salt, of all things, expire

I typically don't pack condiments with me when I travel. Plus I don't think they sell mustard in TSA approved containers.

moniker on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Does Sony sell an external harddrive for the PS3? 'Cause they should.

you can use any USB drive

also you can replace the internal drive with any bog standard 2.5" drive

Caveat: Your hard drive must be Fat 32 formated.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    People in Jackson, my hometown, gasp when I say I want to move to Atlanta. They imagine it costing $Texas to live there.

I laugh and laugh and laugh. When my dad comes to visit I try to sneak cash into his wallet because he's a poor house painter and I know the gas down here probably makes him cry inside.

Ludious on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I just throw my salt out after a week because I'm white.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ludious wrote: »

humidity. It gets clumpy. Though I don't see why you just can't let it dry. I can't see anything growing in fucking salt.

oh, right

the climate here is super dry

you have to make an effort to keep water from sublimating

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

humidity. It gets clumpy. Though I don't see why you just can't let it dry. I can't see anything growing in fucking salt.

Put a little bit of rice in the container.

It acts as a desiccant.

japan on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    They'd get priced out of the market the second they unveiled it. Any USB external works for the PS3.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    crosspostin'

playing UFO Alien Invasion

I love going all imperial guard and giving everyone a laser rifle, flak jacket, and orders not to die uselessly

which they do, of course

in great numbers

but who cares, I have reserves

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited August 2010
    Won't the salt just melt together into a lump if you let it dry?

Echo on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    moniker wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    Which included a lot of stuff I had to throw out because they don't sell salt in small enough containers.

I call this "the single tax" and I fucking hate it.

No, it's the 'temporary living arrangement' tax. I can go through a grinder of salt eventually, just not in 2 months. Even with 3 other people using it as well.

Now, not being able to buy meat in sizes of smaller than a 1.3lbs...

Chop that up, add it to a box of rice-a-roni, and you have dinner for one person.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited August 2010
    japan wrote: »
    Put a little bit of rice in the container.

It acts as a desiccant.

Ooh. I always wondered about that in restaurants as a kid.

Echo on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    here's the thing, Will: you listed matisse with warhol. They were tackling completely different things. That would be like trying to use the same rubric to judge monet and picasso. The difference between modern and contemporary art is very large -- in music even more so -- and it would behoove you to learn about it, in my opinion.

But I gotta go pick up eddy.

Later, [chat]

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    Doing a quick and dirty conversion, my Rent comes to 418 USD/month. That includes all amenities and 8 Mb/s broadband.

I'd say Food comes to about 140 USD, but this varies.

I get a monthly education support from the government, but it is measly so I opted for a student loan as well.

So tomorrow I receive 1350 USD (part of that is a free boon from the state, so I won't have to pay it all back), and the three months after that 1100 USD per month.

Every three months I get a cellphone bill in the region of 80-90 USD.

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    I just throw my salt out after a week because I'm white.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_83MEuLoz9Y

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I left some graham crackers out last week. They were soggy after 30 minutes. Humidity is the worst.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Gooey why is Sled Driver so fucking expensive? I've read that excerpt so many times, and god I'd love to read the book, but not for over four-hundred-fucking-dollars.

it is the most amazing book ever written and has been out of print for a long time?

I would kill a man for a copy of Sled Driver.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Which included a lot of stuff I had to throw out because they don't sell salt in small enough containers.

No, it's the 'temporary living arrangement' tax. I can go through a grinder of salt eventually, just not in 2 months. Even with 3 other people using it as well.

Freeze it? We buy the big 6 pound packages of ground beef at Sam's, divide it into a couple 1 pound and 1/2 pound portions in ziplock bags, and stick it in the freezer.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Chop that up, add it to a box of rice-a-roni, and you have dinner for one person.

Yeah, for 4 days. I just want to make a couple burgers. Or a salad with a chicken breast. Now I have half a dozen of them. Sitting there. Staring at me. Taunting me...

moniker on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Freeze it? We buy the big 6 pound packages of ground beef at Sam's, divide it into a couple 1 pound and 1/2 pound portions in ziplock bags, and stick it in the freezer.

I do that with chicken breasts and ground meat. It's easier if I'm cooking for one.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I should really be preparing for going away.

I thought "I'll let this rsync run finish, then rip those CDs to my phone, sort out the stuff for the cat sitter, and I'll be sorted".

rsync has been running for four hours. I should back up more often.

japan on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I left some graham crackers out last week. They were soggy after 30 minutes. Humidity is the worst.

I think cheeze doodles that have absorbed humidity over night are nicer than fresh ones. Perhaps I should be put down.

Edit: I am so happy that freezers exist. That's the only way I can buy ground beef and chicken at bulk pricing and then store it. First-world privilege, I haz it.

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    For some reason Sam's is the only place I can find 90+% lean ground beef that isn't $Texas any more. Everywhere else it's the 80% lean junk that's only good for tacos.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Gooey wrote: »
    Gooey why is Sled Driver so fucking expensive? I've read that excerpt so many times, and god I'd love to read the book, but not for over four-hundred-fucking-dollars.

it is the most amazing book ever written and has been out of print for a long time?

Ugh.

I love the other excerpt out there on the internets about out-running Lebanese SAMs.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

You can call Brian Shul and ask him for a copy. His phone number is 530-742-1000

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Kastanj wrote: »

I think cheeze doodles that have absorbed humidity over night are nicer than fresh ones. Perhaps I should be put down.

you're a communist spy

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    We put most of my savings into our government 401k-like thing. If My wife loses her job she can get that money out after 30 days. So could I.

We would have money to live on for a while I guess. I am just scared. Look. I'm sorry if I made people mad I just can't imagine making less. It makes me angry and scared for a variety of reasons.

We've given 5 years of our lives to this hellhole and while we've made good money, it's expensive as hell here and we can't even find new jobs (These are TEMPORARY government jobs that could end soon (within the next year) and all of our work experience is wrapped up in the government.

but OH FUCK. There's a fucking WAR ON so all of the government offices are hiring Veterans which I am really fucking conflicted about because I GET the sociological and economic reasons Veteran's Preference is done but fuck if it's helping ME right now who is staring down the barrel of losing everything.

Fuck.

I need a drink.

Ludious on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Yeah that's what I end up doing. I'd just rather not have to buy way more than I'll actually need because everything is proportioned for families rather than bachelors. Couldn't you make, like, 3 packages that are only 1/2 a pound next to all the gargantua-tub-o-meat ones Mr. Butcher? Pretty please?

moniker on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Yeah, for 4 days.
    :?: I eat that pan of rice and chicken in one night. Most of it fits in one (fairly large) bowl.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee925OTFBCA&feature=related

Man this is the weirdest crying ever.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited August 2010
    Podly wrote: »
    here's the thing, Will: you listed matisse with warhol. They were tackling completely different things. That would be like trying to use the same rubric to judge monet and picasso. The difference between modern and contemporary art is very large -- in music even more so -- and it would behoove you to learn about it, in my opinion.

But I gotta go pick up eddy.

Later, [chat]

of course i listed them together - you were asking if i was ignorant of "art since WWII"

they were different artists with different styles and different motivations and different influences sure

but they were still both "artists" who worked since WWII

now

if you asked me about artists since, say, 1970 I wouldn't know any

except for that scandinavian dude with the cool moving sculpures

and that guy who did the gates in central park

and i guess the few i get exposed to at the ICA when I go

but isn't this kind of the point: a layman who has put as much effort as I have into trying to learn about art and art history and regularly tries to expose himself to art and appreciate unfamiliar things still finds the great majority of contemporary art intentionally offputting and inaccessible.

does this speak to some degree to the state of the current art movement do you think?

or am i just a philistine?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Next stop, nervous breakdown station! WOOO WOOO

Ludious on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Publishers should shift stuff over to print-on-demand once they're finished doing the big runs.

It would mean that a new copy of the book was three times as expensive as a mass-printed copy was, but that's better than fifty times more expensive for used on eBay.

japan on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Yeah, for 4 days.
    :?: I eat that pan of rice and chicken in one night. Most of it fits in one (fairly large) bowl.

You eat over a pound of meat ++ for dinner?

moniker on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Yeah that's what I end up doing. I'd just rather not have to buy way more than I'll actually need because everything is proportioned for families rather than bachelors. Couldn't you make, like, 3 packages that are only 1/2 a pound next to all the gargantua-tub-o-meat ones Mr. Butcher? Pretty please?

"Can do, mate." (image not risque, but gory)
    boys14c.jpg

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    For some reason Sam's is the only place I can find 90+% lean ground beef that isn't $Texas any more. Everywhere else it's the 80% lean junk that's only good for tacos.

$Texas in this context is pretty funny,

given that we've got a pretty good cost of living down here.

Galahad on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Well, you can always go to the meat counter and get it that way, in the size you want. Of course, the place has to have a meat counter.

The stuff in bulk tends to be cheaper too, by $1-2 a pound sometimes.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Texas doesn't have grocery sales tax does it?

Ludious on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    They'd get priced out of the market the second they unveiled it. Any USB external works for the PS3.

I can transfer stuff I've bought on the Playstation Store or game data onto a USB? Figured that stuff would not be transferable, but then I don't know jack about computers or this stuff.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Next stop, nervous breakdown station! WOOO WOOO

Maybe you should have considered developing a career.

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Yeah, for 4 days.

You eat over a pound of meat ++ for dinner?
    I have a few times, yeah. Bear in mind that it was basically my meal for the day.

Captain Carrot on
This discussion has been closed.