As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MotW 8/25/10: Oh, %$#@ you magic clay!

MunchMunch Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in Graphic Violence
Deadpool Team-Up #890: Machine Man and Deadpool team up to free some corporate fatcats from the Puppet Master, in order to clear Deadpool's debt to the insurance agency Machine Man works for.
118nibk.jpg

Munch on

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I see Deadpool Team-Up has a vol.1 out in HC, how many of those issues are worth picking up the book for?

Chris G's Guardian Gags backup, classic

gg1a.jpg

And Superman/Batman #75 is mixed. The main Levitz/Ordway story is too much about the Legion (they feel overused more than Deadpool does at the moment), but the two page stories are really good, save for Dave Finch's, like this excellent Krypto vs. Ace story and a happy epilogue to the Little JLA arc:

sb75a.jpg

sb75b.jpg

TexiKen on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I see Deadpool Team-Up has a vol.1 out in HC, how many of those issues are worth picking up the book for?

Chris G's Guardian Gags backup, classic
    gg1a.jpg

And Superman/Batman #75 is mixed. The main Levitz/Ordway story is too much about the Legion (they feel overused more than Deadpool does at the moment), but the two page stories are really good, save for Dave Finch's, like this excellent Krypto vs. Ace story and a happy epilogue to the Little JLA arc:
    sb75a.jpg

sb75b.jpg
    Ehhhh. Much as I like Deadpool Team-Up, I don't think I'd want to own a TPB of it. It's fun because, due to its done-in-one nature, every month I get to see who the creators are, the co-starring character, and the plot, and then decide if I want to buy it. I don't think I'd want to pay for a Frank Tieri story about Mister X and Deadpool you know?

If you really want to check it out, buy the Captain Britain issue. That one was great. And next month Deadpool's teaming up with Gorilla Man, in a Jeff Parker-written issue, and then later, he's fighting the Thing in a wrestling cage-match, in a story drawn by Tom Fowler. So those should both be awesome.

Munch on
    edited August 2010
    So basically Captain Britain and the Machine Man issues are good, as is hopefully the next issue by Parker?

I'll just pick them up the week after your thumbs up or down verdict. I kind of like picking up a DP title but quit buying the main series because it's been below average for a while.

edit: Krypto was in the Action Comics backup, so I had to buy it. Krypto is such a good dog:

ac892a.jpg

And a nice moment in X-Men Legacy, Carey gives a nice sinister Magneto moment and Rogue responds in the best way possible:

xml239a.jpg

xml239b.jpg

TexiKen on
  • NinjabearNinjabear Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Haven't read much from my stack yet, but I really liked Darkwing Duck #3 especially the part with......
    Nega-duck!!!

Ninjabear on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me!!! Friend Code: 2981-7429-8364
  • Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Prince of Power #4 was a great prelude to Chaos War. too bad we have to wait till October for it to start

Secret Warriors #19 was really depressing

Diablo Fett on
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Superman Batman #75
    Baby Superman LIVES! YAY!

Algertman on
    edited August 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    So basically Captain Britain and the Machine Man issues are good, as is hopefully the next issue by Parker?

I'll just pick them up the week after your thumbs up or down verdict. I kind of like picking up a DP title but quit buying the main series because it's been below average for a while.

edit: Krypto was in the Action Comics backup, so I had to buy it. Krypto is such a good dog:

ac892a.jpg

And a nice moment in X-Men Legacy, Carey gives a nice sinister Magneto moment and Rogue responds in the best way possible:

xml239a.jpg

xml239b.jpg
    Pretty much. The only issues of Deadpool Team-Up that I own are the ones that made me say, "Oh, [creator X] or [character Y] + Deadpool? That should be awesome!" Sometimes it is, sometimes not so much. The Deadpool and U.S. 1 team-up was a lot less fun than it should have been. But the Ghost Riders and Zapata Brothers issues were actually better than I thought they'd be.

Munch on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    "Kludd"?

emnmnme on
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Kludds hurt man

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • grim123grim123 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    my MOTW was getting madman Gargantua for 40 bucks. not as nice as the amazon sale from a while back but still a pretty good deal. BBTS is having a graphic novel sale right now

grim123 on
    Aww nutsack.
    steam_sig.png
  • kfroosterkfrooster Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It took awhile to get through this weeks list of comics but I would say my moment of the week was during the conclusion of Astonishing X-Men's latest story arc.
    Wolverine punches the aging and decrepit Kaga in the face after he has deprogrammed his "wheel chair of death".

kfrooster on
  • GankGank Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    kfrooster wrote: »
    It took awhile to get through this weeks list of comics but I would say my moment of the week was during the conclusion of Astonishing X-Men's latest story arc.
    Wolverine punches the aging and decrepit Kaga in the face after he has deprogrammed his "wheel chair of death".

Haha, i just read this issue and was coming in here to post that exact scene.

So i will...
    wolv02.jpg
    wolv03.jpg

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Let's call the whole thing off

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Bloods End on
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Gank wrote: »

Haha, i just read this issue and was coming in here to post that exact scene.

So i will...
    wolv02.jpg
    wolv03.jpg

That's great, but I'm confused. I thought this book was drawn by Karee Andrews And had to do with African mutant(?) babies?

noir_blood on
  • Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    that's Astonishing X-Men: Xenogenesis

this is just regular ol' Astonishing

Diablo Fett on
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I just read the first Atomic Robo trade and it was great.

Sharp101 on
    edited August 2010
    Here was a nice moment from JLA #48:

jla48a.jpg

I think Wildcat II is right.

The whole Starheart arc ended so-so but you get certain moments that are fun. The constant dialogue box switches is kind of getting annoying when 6 different people are doing it on the page though,

TexiKen on
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    In that guardian gags thing, is that Invincible, Harry Potter, Axe Cop, and Spawn? Because that would be the best guardians of the Globe

Bucketman on
  • NinjabearNinjabear Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Bucketman wrote: »
    In that guardian gags thing, is that Invincible, Harry Potter, Axe Cop, and Spawn? Because that would be the best guardians of the Globe

I think that "Axe Cop guy" is the main character from "Walking Dead".

Ninjabear on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me!!! Friend Code: 2981-7429-8364
  • GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ninjabear wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »

I think that "Axe Cop guy" is the main character from "Walking Dead".

Yeah, it's Rick. It's the line up from the joke ads.

Green on
    edited August 2010
    Science Dog #1 is a fun, Silver Age-y superhero tale. Not really a whole lot going on, but it's a good little one-issue origin story, with some giant robots and aliens thrown in for good measure.
    282mkpi.jpg

Secret Warriors #19 wraps up The Last Ride of the Howling Commandos, and lives up to its name.
    Gabriel Jones' last stand.
    2v3k87q.jpg

X-Factor #208 has a guest appearance by Pip the Troll, which automatically makes it better than most books out this week. Also, I'm continually struck by how good this series has been since the reboot with #200. It's really doing the superhero noir thing well.
    2gy5385.jpg
    Rahne lies to Rictor, telling him he's the father of her child. In truth, she got knocked up by some Asgardian wolf-God. I really, really love that shot of Rahne's eyes, and Layla looking back at her. The artist totally sells it.

Guarding the Globe #1 was a lot of setup, but I really liked these pages. They really say a lot about the characters, without having to be overly blunt.
    358atj7.jpg

294tkld.jpg

Munch on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Deadpool Team-up was alright this week but the writing felt extremely heavy-handed

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Secret Warriors was great, still at the high standard which it ahs always maintained. Avengers was OK, but I can't help but feel that Bendis very often shelves what would have been an interesting combat in the name of progression. I mean, Wolverine was knocked out by a single throw of Cap's shield, and while I'm all for powers being plot based given from what we've seen of the character previously it just sits rather uneasily.

However Thor #613? Fucking metal. Gillen is really pulling out all the stops for his last arc, the artwork has improved greatly since the latest guy started on it, and the whole thing is very gripping, very powerful, and very mythological.

Also Heroic Age, Prince of Power. A lot of very good characterisation and action, great art, still funny, good conclusions to the arc and a nice set-up of things to come. Thor was taken down rather easily, but given the previous comparison he himself made the irony of it is great.

So yeah, my MotW is Heroic Age: Prince of Power.

Solar on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I was kinda underwhelmed by the end of Prince of Power, it just seemed like everything was rushed

Also the fill-in art on the Delphyne parts was ugly

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    edited August 2010
    Reilly Brown needed a fill-in? Dude's usually a monthly guy.

TexiKen on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I am weeks behind on my books, but I am just going to say that I liked Superman: Secret Origins 6 just for wrapping things up pretty nicely and outdoing JMS by really understanding the character and what he stands for.

Although I am still upset by that massive, intense delay.

HadjiQuest on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    OK I just finished the second Unwritten trade. Dear Lord that last story was fucked up beyond belief but in a great way.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    edited September 2010
    I'm currently in the process of getting caught up on semi-old Daredevil issues. One of my LCS has the two Bendis and Brubaker omnibuses and I have heard nothing but good things about those runs. I just finished issue 74 in Volume II and I'm not sure if people remember the issue at all but a church group just had a bit of a gathering to discuss how Daredevil has impacted their lives. There's this one guy though that has been pretty cryptic on why he's there and near the end of the issue is letting on that he know's alot about Daredevil and the teachings that made him this uber ninja. It comes to the point that this guys essentially points him out in the room.

And bam, Matt Murdock has been there the entire time. Blew my mind.

kfrooster on
    edited September 2010
    If there's one comic collection you should own in it's entirety, it's the current Daredevil book.

wirehead26 on
    edited September 2010
    Well, I jumped on during the end of Brubaker's run during the Return of the King story arc. I'm really digging what Diggle has done with Matt and making him the leader of The Hand. It's like Diggle took it a step further when Bendis had Matt claim that he was the Kingpin of Hell's Kitchen.

kfrooster on
    edited September 2010
    Well, I jumped on during the end of Brubaker's run during the Return of the King story arc. I'm really digging what Diggle has done with Matt and making him the leader of The Hand. It's like Diggle took it a step further when Bendis had Matt claim that he was the Kingpin of Hell's Kitchen.

I'd recommend picking up the Bendis DD ultimate collections. The second one comes out in September and the last in November. You can get them all for 23 dollars on Amazon which is a fantastic deal.

The first Kevin Smith story which started the whole thing should still be readily available online or even at comic shops. The second David Mack volume which bridges the gap between Smith and Bendis might be a bit harder to find but worth it. Finally the Brubaker stuff you can get in two mini-omnibuses but if you already have the Return of the King volume you might just want to get his previous 6 volumes. This might sound like a big investment but it's so worth it.

wirehead26 on
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Damn thread beat me to it, but there were some great things in deadpool teamup, trying to get this to sig size cause even with no context it's great.
    deadpoolhamsterguncrop.jpg

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ahahaha, that is awesome.

Wildcat on
    edited September 2010
    No context is the best text.

Save that image for the awesome moments thread.

TexiKen on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    He looks so angry! Dawwww...

Solar on