As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Quest: A Wild DQ XI has appeared...on 3DS and PS4...and NX?!?

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    KiTA wrote: »
    Teriferin wrote: »
    Wait, did this guy just get his tension up to 100, and then Back Atcha everything?

Yes. On the final bonus boss in the game. At level 99. Solo.

And he still almost got waxed a couple times.

How was he maintaining his tension when healing himself?

As for unlocking Sage: yeah, tension that mage up. Also, spells combo, don't they? (But you'd need multiples.)

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Wait, did this guy just get his tension up to 100, and then Back Atcha everything?

As for unlocking Sage: yeah, tension that mage up.

Some equipment and a sage ability heal at the end of turn.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Or have multiple mages, and don't forget tension WORKS ON SPELLS.

That was pretty much how I did it.

Great Trolls have 700HP. Get in the range of 550-600 or so and a 50 tension Frizz should be enough provided your Wizard has good Mag. Might.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Darian wrote: »
    You need some Vesta Gauntlets from Equinox and Invincible Trousers from Nemean to fill out that set.

Wait, you can get those from those guys! I've beaten them tons of times, and I never got those! Time to head back with some half-pinches.

Matthew on
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You can't half-inch them; those are the rare (2%) drops from the fights.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

I'm talking about the times he healed for like 900+, with an animation that looked like casting a spell. He never used Right as Rain, although he probably had a Life Bracer on for the +25 at the end of each turn.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

I'm talking about the times he healed for like 900+, with an animation that looked like casting a spell. He never used Right as Rain, although he probably had a Life Bracer on for the +25 at the end of each turn.

It was definitely a spell, since he used it from the spell menu. It was probably Fullheal; it's not too unreasonable to think that Fullheal wouldn't consume tension, since it wouldn't benefit.

Billmaan on
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I was lucky enough to get Vesta Gauntlets on my second fight with Equinox. So good.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Billmaan wrote: »

It was definitely a spell, since he used it from the spell menu. It was probably Fullheal; it's not too unreasonable to think that Fullheal wouldn't consume tension, since it wouldn't benefit.

Only things that use tension involve damage and healing numbers. You need the numbers for the multiplier to work.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I got some depressed shoes off a metal liquid slime, any tips on what they can be used for?

I assume they're cursed.

Sipex on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Alchemise them into Elevating shoes that boost EXP gained.

Very handy.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ooooh, me like. I'll look up the recipe for that, thanks!

Sipex on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Every uncursing recipe in a nutshell:

Cursed item+ 1-3 Saint's Ashes.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I was lucky enough to get Vesta Gauntlets on my second fight with Equinox. So good.

I just tried the whole Hoimi table thing... I know it's technically cheating, but cheesing the game's RNG is just so much easier than grinding a boss over and over again until he finally drops the damn thing you want. I'm probabaly going to start using that for getting the high-level equipment off the grotto bosses so I can complete my set.

(Never let it be said that I didn't let this game turn into a grindy timesink, however. I have a near-complete Metal King Slime set and a bunch of rank 10 chest weapons found in a completely legit way.)

ChopperDave on
    3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • Options
    iowaiowa Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    thanks for the info on vocation switching folks

whats the opinion on fisticuffs? usually in these games they become awesome near the end of the game but im looking at the tree and the final +60 attack doesnt seem that impressive i guess

iowa on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    All weapons are good.

You can't go wrong with any of them.

Fisticuffs are pretty fun. That's a decent stat bonus actually.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

I just tried the whole Hoimi table thing... I know it's technically cheating, but cheesing the game's RNG is just so much easier than grinding a boss over and over again until he finally drops the damn thing you want. I'm probabaly going to start using that for getting the high-level equipment off the grotto bosses so I can complete my set.

(Never let it be said that I didn't let this game turn into a grindy timesink, however. I have a near-complete Metal King Slime set and a bunch of rank 10 chest weapons found in a completely legit way.)

We need those tables added to the OP - hell I need a link to them again :\.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'll add anything good to the OP.

I've been meaning to add the stats and what they do section for a long time, but I keep forgetting.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    LockeCole wrote: »
    I just tried the whole Hoimi table thing...

We need those tables added to the OP - hell I need a link to them again :\.

Check my posts on page one; it's there.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Sweet! Elusid dropped some sensible sandals -- now I can finally take off this stupid Happy Hat from my fourth guy!

Yeah, I could have made another Goddess Ring, but I already had the hat...

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

Depressing Shoes and Unhappy Hat are (sort of) the exception. They need Lucky Necklaces to alchemize into the uncursed item, but you need a phial of saint's ashes to uncurse the Reckless Necklace.

1 saint's ashes = Hades helm, Skull ring, reckless necklace, Archdemon Whip
    3 saint's ashes = Nightmare Gown, Ruinous Shield, Oh-No Bow, Skull Helmet

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    edited August 2010

Depressing Shoes and Unhappy Hat are (sort of) the exception. They need Lucky Necklaces to alchemize into the uncursed item, but you need a phial of saint's ashes to uncurse the Reckless Necklace.

1 saint's ashes = Hades helm, Skull ring, reckless necklace, Archdemon Whip
    3 saint's ashes = Nightmare Gown, Ruinous Shield, Oh-No Bow, Skull Helmet

I'm especially unhappy that the Skull Helmet is cursed. That thing is badass.

And I've found enough Ruinous Shields that three of my team are now using its uncursed form (one of which spent a Goddess Ring and Agate to evolve it); the other is using a Big Boss Shield.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So how does XP from monster kills work? I've noticed that when I change careers, for some reason the lower level characters get smaller XP amounts from the same group of monsters than the higher level characters receive. Is there some sort of scaling factor?

And I'm tempted to bring this sucker with on the vacation with the girlfriend this weekend. What could possibly go wrong?

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    So how does XP from monster kills work? I've noticed that when I change careers, for some reason the lower level characters get smaller XP amounts from the same group of monsters than the higher level characters receive. Is there some sort of scaling factor?

Yes: more experienced characters get more experience. But they also need more, so it balances out really well.

Bear in mind that some classes need more XP per level as well. You can start everyone off at level 1 (and never have anyone die, which affects XP sometimes) and by the time your Mage is Level 90 your Gladiator might only be 87ish.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    It's not scaling, it's splitting. Characters receive a percentage of the available XP according to their level. For example, if your party had two characters, one level 49 and one level 1, and you killed a monster worth 40,000 XP, the level 49 would get 98% of the XP (or 39,200) and the level 1 would get 2% (or 800). [98% is 49 / (49 + 1); 2% is 1 / (49 + 1).]

Billmaan on
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think there are some modifiers to that kinda formula depending on vocations.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yep, there are.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    uh you guys mentioned he might have gone to zere rocks early, before the usual order to go there, so the boss was a lot harder than it should be because he skipped like 5 storylines maybe

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    It's sort of DQ tradition to do that once or twice.

I remember I did the open part of DQ III completely out of order.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    How can you do Zere Rocks too early?

You have to do Port Llaffan to get access to the continent, which you can conceivably do before ever doing Alltrades and unlocking class change. But after that, Zere Rocks is the next dungeon.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Dritz wrote: »
    I think there are some modifiers to that kinda formula depending on vocations.

The vocation modifiers alter the amount of experience you need to level up, not the amount of experience you get after battle. For example, a priest needs 5% more experience per level than a warrior, and a mage needs 10% more than a warrior.

Billmaan on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    How can you do Zere Rocks too early?

You have to do Port Llaffan to get access to the continent, which you can conceivably do before ever doing Alltrades and unlocking class change. But after that, Zere Rocks is the next dungeon.
    bloomberg was much easier for me.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

I don't think the Unhappy Hat is even cursed. It just isn't as good as the Happy Hat.

jothki on
  • Options
    MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I almost feel like I'm cheating when I use Feel the Burn and Forbearance on 2 characters...
    Almost...

Morvidus on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    iowa wrote: »
    thanks for the info on vocation switching folks

whats the opinion on fisticuffs? usually in these games they become awesome near the end of the game but im looking at the tree and the final +60 attack doesnt seem that impressive i guess
    My experience with Fisticuffs has been totally positive in every way. The thing is that you need to max it out in order to get the most benefit from it. One of my characters was pure fisticuffs, and she was a powerhouse throughout the entire main story. It starts out with mediocre damage, picks up when you get the second attack power bonus, and then becomes great damage when maxed out and paired with a combat vocation (like fighter, gladiator, etc.).

The main thing that's great about fisticuffs (other than the fact that you don't need to equip a weapon... and yes, you can equip a shield while using it) is the cheap and powerful attacks you get with it. Multi-fist hits 4 times for about half damage, and against a single target it basically doubles your damage, for ZERO MP. Wind Sickles hits a whole group for your unarmed damage, without damage reduction for multiple targets (like boomerangs, Axes of Evil, the staff group attack, etc.), and with a BONUS against elemental targets, for ZERO MP. Boulder Toss is an effective "hit everything on the screen" attack (75 to 150 ish damage depending on the target) for only 8 MP, and it's difficult to find a spell or ability that matches it in power and price (the only one that works better, IMO, is Disco Stew which is 200 damage to everything for 12 MP).

My view is that it's decent early on in the story, awesome in power and versatility in the mid-game to end-game once maxed out, and only really peters out when you start getting the post-game/end-game equipment. By the time you reach that point, though, you'll have hundreds of skillpoints sloshing around to invest in any weapon as you please. If I had to do it all over again, I'd probably invest about 13 points in Swords to get Metal Slash early on, then max out Fisticuffs on everyone, and I'd be set pretty much for the rest of the main story.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Fisticuffs are also one of two weapon skills (with staffs) that increase your evasion by 4%. Nothing to sneeze at there, for any character.

Darian on
  • Options
    DorkmanDorkman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I am beginning to think I am doing it "wrong"..

I am just beginning looking for Grottos, however I am my MC is only sitting at around lvl 39. But my main concern is my equipment is absolute garbage. I got a bunch of stuff I have plucked along my main quest, and not really sure how to get better equipment. Does it really just come down to grinding alchemy items and blacksmithing my way to victory?

Dorkman on
    Poke Black 2 FC: 0390 6923 7158
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I really never worried about upgrading my gear. Most of it you'll just acquire in the course of farming grottos. Besides, the passive stat boosts from various class skills make a much bigger difference than gear upgrades, in most cases.

Billmaan on
  • Options
    SlayerVinSlayerVin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    There really isn't a way to play the game "wrong".

Have you come across a single boss so far that's given you trouble? You're probably reading about all the people on here farming high-level gear and alchemy materials and are feeling like you're missing out. You're not. When you get to the bosses who require the level buffs and gear that people are talking about, you'll almost certainly have access to them. The game's easy enough as it is, don't make it even more of a cakewalk.

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So I just got the ship and I'm pretty lost. I have found a few places to dock but they are either barren and nothing to see, or the monsters are super tough.

I got to the one town where nobody will talk to me / offer me services and can't figure out how to progress.

Sort of at a loss for what to do besides keep sailing around looking for new places to dock.

Also, I think I really screwed up with alchemy. I never went back to the quester's rest until I got to bloomberg and as such missed getting the alchemy pot, so I feel like I have missed a whole shitload of alchemy recipies.

Scosglen on