Options

Dragon Quest: A Wild DQ XI has appeared...on 3DS and PS4...and NX?!?

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Actually I almost got stuck there too until I noticed it. Just a little too easy to miss.

I don't remember if anyone actually tells you where the train is.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Actually I almost got stuck there too until I noticed it. Just a little too easy to miss.

I don't remember if anyone actually tells you where the train is.

Much less to go back to it.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I thought it was at the same location where it arrived during the cutscene. *shrugs* I didn't have a problem finding it because I thought "Hey, we parked right by the tree, right?"

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Alright guys. Where do you farm for metal slimes? I'm in the dungeon that's West of Coffington. Is that the best spot to unlock the Arma?

urahonky on
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yep, that's the one.

Darian on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yep, that dungeon.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sweet. Took a little bit, but finally got them! Quests like that really fucking suck. Oh well...

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Ahahahaha, Second fan quest.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ahahahaha, Second fan quest.

Which supposedly is ridiculously easy if you have the special fan that always goes first, always hits, and always does 1-2 damage on metals.

Good luck actually finding said fan though. Yeesh.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Four of them would be needed to make it automatic.

By the time you get that the scroll would be of only minimal utility.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I didn't find the 2nd fan quest to be all that hard. I just used Metal Slash with a few folks to bring down the LMS to a couple health, and finished it off with Fandango on the fan using character. You have about a 50% shot at the LMS staying another round, so it was just a coin flip. Of course, by the time I got to that quest, everyone in my party already knew Metal Slash from doing the Armamentalist unlock quest, so...

The Spear quest was a bit tougher, I thought. Pressure Point has a very low chance of success even in the best of encounters. Unless everyone is using spears, it takes a lot of work.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Job System games, how I love thee.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I have a glaring gap in my monsternomicon that bugs me as all other monsters have been slotting in a fairly sequential order. Where can I find monster #66?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Woot, Fan Expo was much better yesterday for maps than Friday was. Got a map with only MKS on level 11. Beat it and will be sharing it when I go back today.

Also, some of the custom tag greetings out there are awfully questionable. I had a lounge full of characters from pre-teens at one point, except for one from a 20-something that said, "I have the best lady parts" with a lewd ASCII art at the end. I was like 0.o, does this person know who's receiving that message?

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I have a glaring gap in my monsternomicon that bugs me as all other monsters have been slotting in a fairly sequential order. Where can I find monster #66?

Spinchilla, near Dourbridge and Slurry Coast.

Darian on
  • Options
    CovetCovet Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Also, some of the custom tag greetings out there are awfully questionable. I had a lounge full of characters from pre-teens at one point, except for one from a 20-something that said, "I have the best lady parts" with a lewd ASCII art at the end. I was like 0.o, does this person know who's receiving that message?

Yeah, there was a group of guys who had extremely graphic messages at one of the local retailer tag events. I'm glad there weren't any kids around (that I saw). People get off on all kinds of things, I guess?

Covet on
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Fucking slimes.

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ugh, I'm just one Metal Slime Shield away from having a complete Metal King set. My gladiator is looking pretty tricked out with all his metal gear...

Speaking of endgame stuff, I just got the Victorious Armor (yay) and it looks great with the Hallowed Helm and Poker I got earlier. My pally is looking pretty classy sporting those with her generic pally armguards and leggings.

ChopperDave on
    3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    You need some Vesta Gauntlets from Equinox and Invincible Trousers from Nemean to fill out that set.

Darian on
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Tagging thread.

I know someone when over this before, but what were the alchemist recipes that you can sell for a profit again?

LockeCole on
  • Options
    BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    LockeCole wrote: »
    Tagging thread.

I know someone when over this before, but what were the alchemist recipes that you can sell for a profit again?

The big ones are Ear Cozies and Gold Mail.

Billmaan on
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    one thing that annoys me is that i've hit up every single bookshelf i've seen so far (just beat guy on top of volcano) and there is many recipes in my alch that call for other alchemized things, those latter things being things i do not have a recipe for. i.e. the aforementioned gold mail.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    A) Trial and Error

B) GameFAQS

Success adds the item to your recipe list.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    iowaiowa Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I don't understand what happens when you switch jobs. the only thing you retain is abilities from the other job and all your stats reset? How do skill points even work here? Can I farm them while in a low level job then switch jobs and put them into my main job?

i guess it was stupid to put so many points into fan skills. Now im stuck with like, minstrel or martial artist for my hero guy.

iowa on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Once you max out a weapon skill tree, you become "omnivocational" with that weapon, able to wield it regardless of your current class.

My MC still uses fans at every opportunity; they are a fine choice (the book reward for maxing it is a no-MP party heal, and they offer a skill that reflects breath attacks.).

Skill points can be used in any class; you can just not spend them until you switch back to the class that knows the skill you want to master.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    If you switch away from a vocation, then come back to it, you go back to the stats and level that you were before, so it never is a waste to switch vocation. If you don't like the new vocation you can always just go back to your old one, probably better than before due to the passive stat boosts in vocational skills which apply to all vocations... for example, if you want more Strength and Resilience, you can go up the Warrior vocational skill for a while and those bonuses will apply to all of your vocations.

You can hoard skill points, and apply them anywhere you want. One strategy is to pick out some vocations that you don't intend to specialize in (for example, if you want a melee fighter, but you don't plan on using magic, pick a mage or priest), level them up a few times, then switch back with the hoarded skill points.

Because of revocations (which ding you back to level 1 in a vocation from level 99, but you still retain your earned skill points), you will have way more skill points than skills available. From levels 1-38, you get 100 skill points, and from levels 37-99 you get another 100 skill points. This means that of the 2600 points that you need to max out everything, you'll have 2400 points from all of the vocations available WITHOUT revocating.

I mean, yes, I personally would suggest maxing out one weapon skill to 100, then maxing out shields to 100, then spend all of the rest of the skill points in the vocation-specific skills for the passive stat boosts. But you don't have to do it this way, and as long as you are spending points where you think they will be useful, you'll do fine.

tl;dr It's hard to make a mistake in this game. Just keep leveling and dumping skill points where you see fit.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Basic rule o' thumb when it comes to switching and what keeps:

-Stuff cast from the Ability menu keeps. Except weapon skills unless you're 100 points Omnivocational in it. For example: Warriors can use the Fource skills from Armamentalists.

-Stuff cast from the Spells menu do not keep. For example: Warriors can not cast Buff, Snooze, ect. from Armamentalists

-All them purdy little +XX stats carry over.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wait, did this guy just get his tension up to 100, and then Back Atcha everything?

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I forget their names, but apparently that boss and another (who's composed of like 3 separate targets) are the real wild cards at lv99. So yeah, doesn't surprise me you have to get hella imaginative to deal with them.

The Wolfman on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Teriferin wrote: »
    Wait, did this guy just get his tension up to 100, and then Back Atcha everything?

Yes. On the final bonus boss in the game. At level 99. Solo.

KiTA on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Forgive me if these are stupid questions - Dragon Quest is the first JRPG I've played for years except for some casual Pokemon. The last games in the genre I played were Dragon Warrior and FF1 on the NES actually. I decided to give it a try and absolutely love it.

I'm around level 19ish on my characters and just had my ass handed to me by the big bosstype critter in the stone carved village at the top of a mountain. I'm figuring it's time to grind a bit which is fine, but I also realize I never did any of the job training/swapping type of stuff at the monestary - should I have or is it ok to stay with 4 default type of characters? Also, I haven't done alchemy at all - is that something I would benefit from at this point?

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Forgive me if these are stupid questions - Dragon Quest is the first JRPG I've played for years except for some casual Pokemon. The last games in the genre I played were Dragon Warrior and FF1 on the NES actually. I decided to give it a try and absolutely love it.

I'm around level 19ish on my characters and just had my ass handed to me by the big bosstype critter in the stone carved village at the top of a mountain. I'm figuring it's time to grind a bit which is fine, but I also realize I never did any of the job training/swapping type of stuff at the monestary - should I have or is it ok to stay with 4 default type of characters? Also, I haven't done alchemy at all - is that something I would benefit from at this point?

You don't have to bother with Alchemy or job switching if you don't want to. There's no wrong way to play the game. Job switching, piling up skill points and using them to max a weapon skill or a class skill will definitely increase the power of your party very quickly, though.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Finally got a water grotto, which means I was finally able to do the Luminary quest. Minstrel Moai made me laugh the first time I saw one. MKS spawn pretty frequently on that floor too, which has been nice and handy for my leveling.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

You don't have to bother with Alchemy or job switching if you don't want to. There's no wrong way to play the game. Job switching, piling up skill points and using them to max a weapon skill or a class skill will definitely increase the power of your party very quickly, though.

How does that work - doesn't switching jobs start you back at square one?

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ugh. Unlocking Sage is going to be a pain in the ass, isn't it?

You have to fight a troll with a bazillion HP and finish him off with frizz, a spell that does maybe 30-40 damage. And then you have to do it ten times.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    It's not that bad once you have a good range on its HP.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Five times, not ten. It actually wasn't that hard when I did it. Just a bit time consuming. Have everyone defend after beating on the troll.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Or have multiple mages, and don't forget tension WORKS ON SPELLS.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

How does that work - doesn't switching jobs start you back at square one?
    You start at level 1 in the vocation that you've switched to, but if you ever switch back to your old vocation, your level and stats will still be there when you return to it. In fact, if you ever switch back to a vocation that you've leveled before, you will retain your level and stats. In other words, there's no penalty for switching vocations at all, other than having to start from scratch in a brand new vocation (which isn't really that bad, since you probably have better gear than when you started the game). The skill points that you earn in a vocation can be hoarded and applied to the vocation (or multiple vocations) of your choice.

I wouldn't worry too much about doing Alchemy, although it can help you get better gear (for example, you can make Steel gear from materials that are all found on Newid Isle, where Alltrades Abbey resides). Be sure to check all of the bookshelves that you come across for new alchemy recipes, for later.
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Ugh. Unlocking Sage is going to be a pain in the ass, isn't it?

You have to fight a troll with a bazillion HP and finish him off with frizz, a spell that does maybe 30-40 damage. And then you have to do it ten times.
    Once you figure out its HP range (it's more like 500-ish and NOT a bazillion), you can damage it with your other characters and then finish it off with Frizz. Tension boosts and Channel Anger will help you do more damage. The only bad part is getting to the monster in the first place (about halfway through the last dungeon or in a grotto) and bringing a Mage with you (ugh).
    Finally got a water grotto, which means I was finally able to do the Luminary quest. Minstrel Moai made me laugh the first time I saw one. MKS spawn pretty frequently on that floor too, which has been nice and handy for my leveling.
    My first Minstrel Moai was in a cave-like Grotto, not a Water Grotto. You don't need a Water Grotto to get Minstrel Moais.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png