Options

Glenn Beck's August 28th rally

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Malkor wrote: »
    N1tSt4lker wrote: »
    Glenn Beck =/= rational conservatism.

Actual conservatives can scream about that as much as they want, but until they have a competing voice he's the posterchild for everything conservatism.

That's the problem with macro-party politics when you're the minority. Whoever has the mojo drives the pace car, you either ride the wave with him or watch from the sidelines.

Atomika on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I will be declared a troll as my opinion deviates from the norm here.

No, that happens because of this:
    BS claims of Tea Party racism
    conservative your sociology professor hates with a passion.
    The One
    faith in your religion of "liberal progressiveness".
    DNC kool-aid.

You see, when you troll people (or an entire forum), you get called a troll. You already knew that though, 'cause you're a-trollin' hard.

:whistle:

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Whoever has the mojo drives the pace car, you either ride the wave with him or watch from the sidelines.
    Dude, it's way too early in the day to be mixing that many metaphors.

Bama on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Bama wrote: »
    Whoever has the mojo drives the pace car, you either ride the wave with him or watch from the sidelines.

I was trying to figure out how to cram in something about dominoes and batting clean-up, but I couldn't make it work.

Atomika on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Pi-r8 wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    Stalin: Dec 18
    Earth Day: April 22
    Gaylord Nelson's birthday: Also April 22

Mostly just wanted to type out the name Gaylord.

wait i thought it was hitler's birthday.
    Or is that 4/20?
    edit: oh yeah it is 4/20. It's also the day of the columbine shooting, the deepwater horizon explosion, and many other tragedies.

Major buzzkills, imo.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I was trying to figure out how to cram in something about dominoes and batting clean-up, but I couldn't make it work.

Whoever has the mojo drives the pace car, you either ride the wave like a bunch of lined-up dominoes falling beautifully, their shape transforming permanently into a flattened version of their once-erect structure, leaving result where omce there was only the promise of destruction but still offering the potential for a Lazarean rebirth with him or watch from the sidelines while doing batting clean-up.

Easy-peasy.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Drez wrote: »

Whoever has the mojo drives the pace car, you either ride the wave like a bunch of lined-up dominoes falling beautifully, their shape transforming permanently into a flattened version of their once-erect structure, leaving result where omce there was only the promise of destruction but still offering the potential for a Lazarean rebirth with him or watch from the sidelines while doing batting clean-up.

Checkmate.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So, speaking of rational conservatives, has anyone checked out Meghan McCain's new book? I read a review and apparently it's a call to arms to the moderate, young conservatives. She's pretty rough on Palin and the anti-homosexual, fundamental Christian portions of the Republican Party. Looks like it's a good read for people who think all conservatives are like Glen Beck or moderate conservatives who are wondering what the hell happened to the Republican Party.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/09/01/AR2010090103891.html

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »
    So, speaking of rational conservatives, has anyone checked out Meghan McCain's new book? I read a review and apparently it's a call to arms to the moderate, young conservatives. She's pretty rough on Palin and the anti-homosexual, fundamental Christian portions of the Republican Party. Looks like it's a good read for people who think all conservatives are like Glen Beck or moderate conservatives who are wondering what the hell happened to the Republican Party.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/09/01/AR2010090103891.html

I am actually kind of interested in reading it, and I'm always being told that I'm a "progressive". If she has good ideas then great I'm all for that but I don't think the modern, young conservative segment will be difference makers or have whatever it is they believe in in play for a long while.

I'll make a library run for it though.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Pi-r8 wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    Stalin: Dec 18
    Earth Day: April 22
    Gaylord Nelson's birthday: Also April 22

Mostly just wanted to type out the name Gaylord.

wait i thought it was hitler's birthday.
    Or is that 4/20?
    edit: oh yeah it is 4/20. It's also the day of the columbine shooting, the deepwater horizon explosion, and many other tragedies.

It's also my friend's birthday.

He had that weird Sea-Man game for Dreamcast, and when he put in his birthday it told him he'd better not be Hitler.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

There is now a distinct market for level headedness

coooooool

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Apparently the book has a healthy dose of "Legally Blonde: On the Trail!" So it might be a good idea to skip over those sections.

Unless you like anecdotes of Meghan McCain getting drunk in bars and dancing on tables.
    :winky:

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Sounds good, but only media coverage of the moderates (on both sides) will save the future of our government. Unfortunately, Ms. McCain will be shouted down and condescended to by her own party's seniority most likely.

I would love to see her movement progress, though. I would consider myself a "conservative" if that didn't mean I had to throw in with people like Beck and Palin. I can't believe that here we are in the middle of one of America's worst financial meltdowns and the supposed party of fiscal responsibility is rallying around retarded religious demagogues running on platforms of social reform.

Atomika on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

She ain't no Billy Buckley. Meghan McCain is a lightweight and if she popped out of any other vagina on the planet, no one would pay her any mind.

Although dumb and not crazy is certainly an improvement.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Deebaser wrote: »

Such a depressing thought it is that I would literally run through broken glass to hand this 20-something pubcrawler the keys to the GOP if it meant keeping it out of the hands of the Tea Party.

Atomika on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Hey Ross,

I have a better plan. Let's send every member of congress a copy of Civilization 5. Maybe then they'll grow a fucking clue.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hey Ross,

I have a better plan. Let's send every member of congress a copy of Civilization 5. Maybe then they'll grow a fucking clue.

Oh god. Do you want them to never do any actual legislating?

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wait, that wasn't the plan?

Lord Palington on
    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Momma tole me compuchers were duh debbul.

Atomika on
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Such a depressing thought it is that I would literally run through broken glass to hand this 20-something pubcrawler the keys to the GOP if it meant keeping it out of the hands of the Tea Party.
    Meh. The Tea Party will lose a lot of the winds in its sails once the GOP gets back into power. The GOP will almost certainly get back the House of Reps in November, and maybe the Senate. The Tea Party will then focus on defeating Obama in 2012. If that happens, a lot of the Tea Party's momentum will go away.

The Tea Party is a useful movement when the GOP is out of power. But I question its ability to remain relevant once the Dems are out of office.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    edited September 2010
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Hey Ross,

Yeah, but the second they realize that they can do that shit "for realz", they'll come back from their months long civ-coma with a newfound appreciation for infrastructure spending.

This could backfire in the form of crazy republicans building nothing but temples/cathedrals for the next 300 turns while the Babylonians nail the space victory.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    mythagomythago Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    She ain't no Billy Buckley.

Thank Ubizmo for that. We've got enough snotty, classist Eastern Estalishment types running around without another Buckley on top of that.

mythago on
    Three lines of plaintext:
    obsolete signature form
    replaced by JPEGs.
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hey Ross,

Yeah, but the second they realize that they can do that shit "for realz", they'll come back from their months long civ-coma with a newfound appreciation for infrastructure spending.

This could backfire in the form of crazy republicans building nothing but temples/cathedrals for the next 300 turns while the Babylonians nail the space victory.
    Not to mention replacing the troops in Afghanistan with spear men.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Momma tole me compuchers were duh debbul.

There's a pretty funny picture of a woman trolling one of those fire-and-brimstone evangelical rallies with a sign saying something about how computers were Alan Turing's homo devil machine

TL DR on
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Modern Man wrote: »

Meh. The Tea Party will lose a lot of the winds in its sails once the GOP gets back into power. The GOP will almost certainly get back the House of Reps in November, and maybe the Senate. The Tea Party will then focus on defeating Obama in 2012. If that happens, a lot of the Tea Party's momentum will go away.

The Tea Party is a useful movement when the GOP is out of power. But I question its ability to remain relevant once the Dems are out of office.

Or it's values become more prominent within the republican party pushing it even further to the right.

Honestly, I dunno about them taking 2012. It's a long ways off and nothing can be certain at this point (Re: obama is doing a good job considering the circumstances of his presidency unlike bush's second term), but really, 2012 is going tto come down to whether or not the republicans can woo the moderates and independants back to there side of the spectrum, somthing I'm not sure they can do since the party has become exceedingly purist and xenophobic.

Gaddez on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Gaddez wrote: »
    [...] but really, 2012 is going tto come down to whether or not the republicans can woo the moderates and independants back to there side of the spectrum, somthing I'm not sure they can do since the party has become exceedingly purist and xenophobic.
    The economy and unemployment rate will determine that race. The GOP can purify all it wants and scream to high-heaven about dem furriners, but I's and moderates won't care if we're still at 9.5%. They'll pull that R-level with gusto.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    [...] but really, 2012 is going tto come down to whether or not the republicans can woo the moderates and independants back to there side of the spectrum, somthing I'm not sure they can do since the party has become exceedingly purist and xenophobic.
    The economy and unemployment rate will determine that race. The GOP can purify all it wants and scream to high-heaven about dem furriners, but I's and moderates won't care if we're still at 9.5%. They'll pull that R-level with gusto.

Well sure, Economy is always the big issue right? But does anyone really think that running on a platform of "TAX BREAKS FOR THE TOP 2%! THEY NEED TO HAVE HUMMERS MADE OUT OF PLATINUM WITH NUCLEAR REACTORS!" is going to work after the housing crash of 08?

I'd like to think that the american people are just a teensy bit more wary of such things at this point.

Gaddez on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Well sure, Economy is always the big issue right? But does anyone really think that running on a platform of "TAX BREAKS FOR THE TOP 2%! THEY NEED TO HAVE HUMMERS MADE OUT OF PLATINUM WITH NUCLEAR REACTORS!" is going to work after the housing crash of 08?

I'd like to think that the american people are just a teensy bit more wary of such things at this point.

It seems to be working right now, and we're only two years past the housing crash.

In 2012 it will have happened FOUR years ago. That's, like, back when Jesus signed the Declaration of the 2nd Amendment.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

No. If the economy is bad, they will vote for whoever is not in power, because they don't know shit about policy anyway.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

No. If the economy is bad, they will vote for whoever is not in power, because they don't know shit about policy anyway.

On NPR today, a woman said she misses George Bush, because the economy was better then. I almost yelled at my car radio.

That raises an interesting question, though. If Republicans control legislature, and Obama is in the white house, then to whom will the public assign the credit/blame for the economy?

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    templewulf wrote: »

On NPR today, a woman said she misses George Bush, because the economy was better then. I almost yelled at my car radio.

That raises an interesting question, though. If Republicans control legislature, and Obama is in the white house, then to whom will the public assign the credit/blame for the economy?

obama

cuz he's young and he's black and his hat's real low

Rust on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Drez wrote: »

Easy-peasy.

That isn't what batting clean-up means. You don't clean things up after other people finish their batting.

Batting clean up is a good spot to be, not a negative one.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

I'd chuckle at that, but I'm too busy bawling.

Anyway, they won't say "TAX BREAKS FOR THE TOP 2%, MMM PLATINUM HUMMERBENZ" they'll say "lowering Americans' taxes." And everyone, even people making $35k for a household, will cheer and slobber on any dicks with an R on them that they can find.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    templewulf wrote: »

That depends on who does a better job of shifting the blame to the other side, basically.

The GOP will probably have an advantage in 2010-2012 if Obama starts vetoing their proposed bills to fix the economy. It's not tough to sell a message of "the President killed all our plans to fix the economy and we're still in the shit as a result" if unemployment remains high and economic growth remains low. If the economy in 2012 is anywhere near as bad as it is now, will be packing up his things come January 2013.

But we're all just speculating at this point. A lot of things can happen before the 2012 election. As much as I'd love to see Obama out of office, I'd rather see the economy pick up before then. This recession is just brutal.

Modern Man on
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Forar wrote: »
    ... this is that online sarcasm thing, right? Poe's Law? Text is such a terrible medium, I'm always missing the important stuff.

Please tell me that was typed with laughter.

Nah, I'm that "evil" conservative your sociology professor hates with a passion. Although naturally I will be declared a troll as my opinion deviates from the norm here. Just checking in to see if The One's lack of success has hurt your faith in your religion of "liberal progressiveness". Seems to have no impact besides upping the intake of DNC kool-aid.

Please return to your usual duties. "Hurr-durr damn that stupid Glenn Beck and his army of gun-toting Christian radicals." and all of that nonsense.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    But we're all just speculating at this point. A lot of things can happen before the 2012 election. As much as I'd love to see Obama out of office, I'd rather see the economy pick up before then. This recession is just brutal.

Oh hey, progress! A while ago you said you thought Republicans should obstruct everything to gain power, and then pass the same stuff once they got it, because it would just be better if they did it instead of the Democrats.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The GOP will probably have an advantage in 2010-2012 if Obama starts vetoing their proposed bills to fix the economy. It's not tough to sell a message of "the President killed all our plans to fix the economy and we're still in the shit as a result" if unemployment remains high and economic growth remains low.

But would regaining the house and/or senate even give them an incentive to stop shitting up the place, or will they just continue to waffle and let Obama/Democrats (rightfully or wrongfully alike) take the heat for the economic clusterfuck? How far are they willing to go to get/maintain power, and when will that power be used to actually improve things?

I mean, I'm not even casually educated on economic theory so maybe we should get Ronya in here with some crayons to lay it all out, but would any of the GOP proposed stuff (extending the Bush tax cuts, etc) actually help, or are they as out of touch with reality as The Daily Show has made them out to be?

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I mean, I'm not even casually educated on economic theory so maybe we should get Ronya in here with some crayons to lay it all out, but would any of the GOP proposed stuff (extending the Bush tax cuts, etc) actually help, or are they as out of touch with reality as The Daily Show has made them out to be?

Oh, tax cuts can definitely boost an economy (the Kennedy cuts in the 60s, frex). However, the point at which they were useful has long been passed- and for several tax brackets, taxes are much too low. The middle class share of tax burden could use alleviation, but the Bush tax cuts are principally aimed at a segment of the economy already benefiting disproportionately from government services but not contributing to them proportionately.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Oh hey, progress! A while ago you said you thought Republicans should obstruct everything to gain power, and then pass the same stuff once they got it, because it would just be better if they did it instead of the Democrats.
    You must have me confused with someone else. I don't think Obama's policies should be enacted into law, whether by the Democrats or Republicans.
    But would regaining the house and/or senate even give them an incentive to stop shitting up the place, or will they just continue to waffle and let Obama/Democrats (rightfully or wrongfully alike) take the heat for the economic clusterfuck? How far are they willing to go to get/maintain power, and when will that power be used to actually improve things?

This is going to come off as cynical, but I doubt either party has a workable plan to fix the economy. The best we can hope for is that their policies don't fuck things up beyond repair and that the economy recovers naturally.

Modern Man on
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

You must have me confused with someone else. I don't think Obama's policies should be enacted into law, whether by the Democrats or Republicans.
    Does that include extending unemployment benefits?

Captain Carrot on