As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Glenn Beck's August 28th rally

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Since third parties are doomed to fail (seriously. Lets not bullshit ourselves),

Sorry, but this is the real bullshit, as a reading of American history shows that third parties can, in fact, be wildly successful.

Could you elaborate? This sounds like an interesting tangent.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Since third parties are doomed to fail (seriously. Lets not bullshit ourselves),

Sorry, but this is the real bullshit, as a reading of American history shows that third parties can, in fact, be wildly successful.

When have we ever had a stable arrangement of three parties that lasted more than one or two election cycles?

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't think it's so much that we've had working "third" parties, but the fact that sometimes those "third" parties becomes one of the two parties because one of the older two parties died out.

Duffel on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Considering the way that the Tea Party is gutting the GOP, I could see them becoming a viable third party. I mean, they almost already are anyway.

Atomika on
  • Options
    AurinAurin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Restoring Truthiness just ran over the 60k mark...

Aurin on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The Progressive Party is the one that was most successful in US history. Was the driving force behind I believe four constitutional amendments, elected many Congressmen/Senators, and nearly got a Presidential election.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

It's not bullshit, it's honest fact. Maybe 50 years ago you could get a strong grass roots movement turning into a party that might have a modest influence in DC, but in the present? Not a chance.

In order to form a third party, you need to present a platform that is distinct from the republicans and the democrats, but still still presenting a sane platform. Second, you need shit loads of money, which most organizations will not blow on a dark horse with three legs. 3rd, you need to be able to run candidates in a lot of ridings, which means getting people to support your vision. 4th, you need to deal with the media, which is probably going to grind your bones to make it's bread.

3rd parties are throw away votes. I wish it weren't the case since in the states it's a choice between the feeble and the insane, but that's the honest lay of the land.

Fuck it, it's time for Hedgie's Third Party Rant.

The problem with third parties today is that they're not willing to do the fucking yeoman work to be successful. They want to grab the brass ring, instead of working to build their party. You want to build a third party in the US? You're going to have to start small. That means winning local races, and building up local reputations. You then use that to springboard to the next tier, and the next, and so on. Is it slow? Yes. But it can fucking work.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    The Progressive Party is the one that was most successful in US history. Was the driving force behind I believe four constitutional amendments, elected many Congressmen/Senators, and nearly got a Presidential election.

Um...most successful third party would be the Republicans (supplanted one of the two major parties).

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    HamHamJ wrote: »

When have we ever had a stable arrangement of three parties that lasted more than one or two election cycles?

When is a party's success defined by election cycles?

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    ronya wrote: »

As I've said in past threads, the goal of a political party is not to get people elected. That's just a (very effective) means to an end. No, a political party's goal is to get its platform instituted as law and policy. Thus, success is best defined as how well a party gets its platform out into the law books, not how many people they have seated. When you consider this, it's been shown time and time again that third parties can be very effective in the US political arena.

Modern third parties tend to be handicapped by two things - extreme planks and an inability to build a solid party structure.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

Um...most successful third party would be the Republicans (supplanted one of the two major parties).

No, it didn't. The Whigs ceased to exist because of the problem of slavery, not because the Republicans kicked their asses; a lot of Republicans were former Whigs, actually. Republicans were never a third party; in 1856, they presented Buchanan with serious opposition, and in 1860, they won.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Considering the way that the Tea Party is gutting the GOP, I could see them becoming a viable third party. I mean, they almost already are anyway.

3 things.
    First, Come election time, people will vote R because third parties have a long standing problem with achieving victory and folks would rather support the big fancy party then the no name brand.

Second, The Tea party may be a political entity of sorts, but it's not a political party. Plenty of politicians are happy to hop into bed with them because they know it's a good way to score cheap points, but I'm not aware of any that have scrapped there membership with the republicans to go swim in the shallow end of the gene pool.

Third, on the off chance that the Tea party did run, it would be competing directly with the republicans for members, and ultimatley one would wind up canabilizing the others base, thus eliminating one party and restoring the 2 party system

The problem with third parties today is that they're not willing to do the fucking yeoman work to be successful. They want to grab the brass ring, instead of working to build their party. You want to build a third party in the US? You're going to have to start small. That means winning local races, and building up local reputations. You then use that to springboard to the next tier, and the next, and so on. Is it slow? Yes. But it can fucking work.

Except no one has the patience or the money for that kind of a protracted approach hedgie, nor the base of followers to run in multiple races.

Hence what I said on the last page:
    third parties are doomed to fail (seriously. Lets not bullshit ourselves)

Is it possible that one could pull it off? Hypotheticly, sure!

Is it possible that Glen beck will describe how he enjoyed raping and murdering little girls in 1990 using his chalk board? Hypotheticly, sure!

Gaddez on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I understand that Ross Perot was doing really well, and then he vanished for a month.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    agoaj wrote: »
    I understand that Ross Perot was doing really well, and then he vanished for a month.
    He was never doing very well, he just served as an effective spoiler for Bush Sr. and allowed Clinton to nab the Oval Office.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Except no one has the patience or the money for that kind of a protracted approach hedgie, nor the base of followers to run in multiple races.

Is it possible that Glen beck will describe how he enjoyed raping and murdering little girls in 1990 using his chalk board? Hypotheticly, sure!

Which, again, is not "third parties are doomed to fail" but "people looking to create third parties are lazy". Just because people want to jump off and grab the brass ring at the start doesn't mean that third parties are not viable. After all, we have three national minor parties in the US.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

As I've said in past threads, the goal of a political party is not to get people elected. That's just a (very effective) means to an end. No, a political party's goal is to get its platform instituted as law and policy. Thus, success is best defined as how well a party gets its platform out into the law books, not how many people they have seated. When you consider this, it's been shown time and time again that third parties can be very effective in the US political arena.

Modern third parties tend to be handicapped by two things - extreme planks and an inability to build a solid party structure.

By that definition there's no difference between a third party and a lobby.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

Except people in a lobby probably actually worked in government before.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    agoaj wrote: »
    He was never doing very well, he just served as an effective spoiler for Bush Sr. and allowed Clinton to nab the Oval Office.

At one point (in June, I believe), he was beating both Bush and Clinton. If that's not doing well, what is?

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Which, again, is not "third parties are doomed to fail" but "people looking to create third parties are lazy". Just because people want to jump off and grab the brass ring at the start doesn't mean that third parties are not viable. After all, we have three national minor parties in the US.

So it's humanity that is flawed and not your arguement?

Gaddez on
  • Options
    mythagomythago Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Okay, I'm going to have to ask you to start citing examples of explicit limitations on the type of work women could do in the 1880s, or they benefit they could obtain from said work. And atop that, to demonstrate that the magnitude of such explicit limitations approach anything like the magnitude of Jim Crow.

Okay, I'm going to have to ask you why you're playing the Internet game of "I can pull facts out of my ass, but if you disagree with me PROVE IT." Did you bother to check your facts on there being absolutely no explicit limitations on what women could do? Did you also happen to notice that whole 19th Amendment thing, which again Caplan thinks was meaningless?

Also, really, "Jim Crow was probably worse" is evidence of exactly nothing.

That said, here's a couple of starter links for you. You might also wish to consider whether 'explicit legal prohibitions' are the only measure of diminished legal status. For example, poll tax laws did not explicitly prevent black people from voting, although that's sure as fuck what they were designed to do, and only a silly goose would say that they don't count. Similarly, if it's perfectly legal to refuse to hire someone, to pay them less, or to abuse them at work because they're black, only a silly goose would say "Yeah but that's not EXPLICIT."

A description of coverture

A contemporaneous article describing limitations

mythago on
    Three lines of plaintext:
    obsolete signature form
    replaced by JPEGs.
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Fair enough, that deals with my criticisms supposing the survey is done right and is nuanced rather than basic. (for some reason it always seems to me that economists systemically report stronger pro-market views than they actually hold, as if they feel a need to correct for real or perceived anti-market bias in the uninformed).

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    mythago wrote: »
    Okay, I'm going to have to ask you to start citing examples of explicit limitations on the type of work women could do in the 1880s, or they benefit they could obtain from said work. And atop that, to demonstrate that the magnitude of such explicit limitations approach anything like the magnitude of Jim Crow.

Okay, I'm going to have to ask you why you're playing the Internet game of "I can pull facts out of my ass, but if you disagree with me PROVE IT." Did you bother to check your facts on there being absolutely no explicit limitations on what women could do? Did you also happen to notice that whole 19th Amendment thing, which again Caplan thinks was meaningless?

Also, really, "Jim Crow was probably worse" is evidence of exactly nothing.

That said, here's a couple of starter links for you. You might also wish to consider whether 'explicit legal prohibitions' are the only measure of diminished legal status. For example, poll tax laws did not explicitly prevent black people from voting, although that's sure as fuck what they were designed to do, and only a silly goose would say that they don't count. Similarly, if it's perfectly legal to refuse to hire someone, to pay them less, or to abuse them at work because they're black, only a silly goose would say "Yeah but that's not EXPLICIT."

A description of coverture

A contemporaneous article describing limitations

No, see, you're the one claiming such and such facts; I'm merely claiming that Caplan is wrong rather than being intellectually dishonest. You need to stack up the facts to make the case that his argument is really ridiculous, so ridiculous that its ridiculousness infects everything else Caplan writes, which you haven't. I, on the other hand, only need to show his interpretation is vaguely consistent, even if wrong, which I already did earlier.

Did you even read what he wrote about coverture, or did you take a glimpse of his opening paragraph and go WHAAAA THE LIBERTARIANISM and then cast its heresy away from you? Because he pointed out the problems in going from "married women need their husband's permission to work" to "these legal limitations explain the types of discrimination we observed in 1880s" pretty clearly.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Sounds like internal party revolution is easier than ever becoming a formal third party, then. As HamHamJ points out, by this definition a third party may be just a well-organized lobby group.

I mean, I get the gist of the idea of a third party doing so well that the main parties have to adopt its planks to co-opt its rise, thus creating a level of policy success even if the third party then falls apart. This would be necessary if the main parties are so resistant to change that one must use the crowbar of possible electoral defeat to pry open minds. But this doesn't seem true presently; parties seem amenable to money and support from lobbying organizations.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Sounds like internal party revolution is easier than ever becoming a formal third party, then. As HamHamJ points out, by this definition a third party may be just a well-organized lobby group.

I mean, I get the gist of the idea of a third party doing so well that the main parties have to adopt its planks to co-opt its rise, thus creating a level of policy success even if the third party then falls apart. This would be necessary if the main parties are so resistant to change that one must use the crowbar of possible electoral defeat to pry open minds. But this doesn't seem true presently; parties seem amenable to money and support from lobbying organizations.

Honestly I get the feeling that we're probably sitting on the cusp of a pretty dramatic political revolution in the US. The Republicans are already dealing with this in the tea party demographic beginning to fracture their party. Now obviously the tea party thing is complex and has many different hands in the pot, but it still represents a serious problem for establishment republicans and the main platform. The democrats.....well, what can you really say except that no one, republican or democrat, liberal or conservative, seems to be very happy with them.

Now whether that results in the creation of an actual viable 3rd party, or a re-aligning of the two established ones, who knows, but it definitely feels like we're in an environment ripe for change, good or bad.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Honestly I get the feeling that we're probably sitting on the cusp of a pretty dramatic political revolution in the US. The Republicans are already dealing with this in the tea party demographic beginning to fracture their party. Now obviously the tea party thing is complex and has many different hands in the pot, but it still represents a serious problem for establishment republicans and the main platform. The democrats.....well, what can you really say except that no one, republican or democrat, liberal or conservative, seems to be very happy with them.

Now whether that results in the creation of an actual viable 3rd party, or a re-aligning of the two established ones, who knows, but it definitely feels like we're in an environment ripe for change, good or bad.

I'm not convinced that the situation today is radically different from the one in years past. The TEA party is just anti-tax frothing dressed up in an astroturf hula skirt. Republican party veterans are the ones who bankrolled and promoted the movement, so I have a hard time seeing it as distinct from the party proper.

The Democrats are just the same incompetents they've been since Mondale got Mondale'd. The only change I see possible is that they hit a wall with being Republican-lite and go back to being center left instead of center right.

Do you really think there is a significant change going on?

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I can see a critical mass being reached in the future, but its not now. Throw in a double dip recession and a couple more terms of terrible governance and shit could hit the fan.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    mythagomythago Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    No, see, you're the one claiming such and such facts; I'm merely claiming that Caplan is wrong rather than being intellectually dishonest. You need to stack up the facts to make the case that his argument is really ridiculous, so ridiculous that its ridiculousness infects everything else Caplan writes, which you haven't.

Sorry, what? Several people already did that. Unless you think there is a better term than "ridiculous" for the argument that coverture, marital rape and legal and social restrictions don't count because, dudes, the nagging bitches have us wrapped around their fingers anyway. Or the argument that the fictional characters in Sex in the City would have been more free if they'd been magically transported back to 1880.

Your argument that he's internally consistent because of free market ftaghn, as I already explained, confuses the market-karma argument (discrimination can't exist!) with what Caplan said (discrimination existed, but it didn't count because nagging bitches, plus the only standard for 'freedom' is 'did you pay income taxes').

mythago on
    Three lines of plaintext:
    obsolete signature form
    replaced by JPEGs.
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    All right, Alaska, the gauntlet has been thrown (technically, it was thrown...yesterday?).

When this country collapses, you are expected to repulse the combined military might of Russia, China...and hell, let's throw Japan in there too, seeing how they're not white.

So, get to it. Start digging those anti-tank trenches and whatnot, because we're talking a lot of tanks. Probably more than there are adult, healthy Alaskans.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

It's not bullshit, it's honest fact. Maybe 50 years ago you could get a strong grass roots movement turning into a party that might have a modest influence in DC, but in the present? Not a chance.

In order to form a third party, you need to present a platform that is distinct from the republicans and the democrats, but still still presenting a sane platform. Second, you need shit loads of money, which most organizations will not blow on a dark horse with three legs. 3rd, you need to be able to run candidates in a lot of ridings, which means getting people to support your vision. 4th, you need to deal with the media, which is probably going to grind your bones to make it's bread.

3rd parties are throw away votes. I wish it weren't the case since in the states it's a choice between the feeble and the insane, but that's the honest lay of the land.

If there were more lime, I'd lime that part twice.

N1tSt4lker on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

It isn't a bad comparison. The third party vote seems most effective when used to slap your party on the wrist. The average joe can't afford to hire a lobbyist to persuade a major party to adopt his views. He can vote for a third party to agitate a major party and (hopefully) compel them to adopt that parties views if they want to reunify their base. This far less effective than a lobbyist, and may leave you swinging in the breeze for an election cycle or two, but it is a far more accessible means of having your voice heard.
    ronya wrote:
    Sounds like internal party revolution is easier than ever becoming a formal third party, then.
    Indeed. The Teabaggers seem to be making pretty good headway doing just that; but they have the advantage of having some pretty active mouth pieces for their cause (Bachmann, Palin, Beck). If Ralph Nader and Jello Biafra had that kind of presence and face time they probably could have started an insurgency in the Dems with far more impact than the Greens had.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This implies there is really any sort of political ideology in the tea party beyond knee jerk reactionism. They're not a political force, they're a political tool for enforcing Republican party unity.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    And, of course, to scream about having to pay a single penny in taxes, at all.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    This implies there is really any sort of political ideology in the tea party beyond knee jerk reactionism. They're not a political force, they're a political tool for enforcing Republican party unity.

Is irrational jingoism not a political stance? My mistake. Seriously though, I was under the impression* they actually had 'Tea party' candidates competing within the party. Is that not happening?

*[Sum of my research: skimmed wikipedia entry on on Tea Party movement an hour ago]

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Is irrational jingoism not a political stance? My mistake. Seriously though, I was under the impression* they actually had 'Tea party' candidates competing within the party. Is that not happening?

*[Sum of my research: skimmed wikipedia entry on on Tea Party movement an hour ago]

That just means they got the WharbleGharble Endorsement. Once they get elected its not like they ever leave the party line, or that they even deviated from the far right version of their party line.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Actually, the Tea Party is a mainstreaming of one of the third parties - the Constitution Party. (In fact, Tancredo is running on the CP's ticket for CO governor.)

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    DanHibiki on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    DanHibiki wrote: »

The Onion
    and reality are in a contest to see who can outdo who.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    DanHibiki wrote: »

Beck bet The Onion that they couldn't write a story that he couldn't convince his listeners was true.

Well played, The Onion. Well played.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

It isn't a bad comparison. The third party vote seems most effective when used to slap your party on the wrist. The average joe can't afford to hire a lobbyist to persuade a major party to adopt his views. He can vote for a third party to agitate a major party and (hopefully) compel them to adopt that parties views if they want to reunify their base. This far less effective than a lobbyist, and may leave you swinging in the breeze for an election cycle or two, but it is a far more accessible means of having your voice heard.

It is also argued that this is the exact opposite of what a third party does, since third parties are not viable options to actually win anything, they strip the need to the major parties to actually endorse their positions.

Burtletoy on