As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Exciting new thread to discuss the exciting new rules!

PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited August 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
At fan suggestion we're gonna do a feature we haven't seen in a while. I think a couple years back we conducted an informal survey here where we asked if anything could be improved or anyone saw anything they generally didn't like and it mostly came back really positive which is cool for us but boring as all fuck.

SO.

Today I got a PM from someone upset that my other thread said AMUSE and not ABUSE because they had a great one stored up.

Since I aim to please, this thread is thereby open in that spirit. ABUSE US. Or not. I don't care. But anyone who posts abuse in the wrong thread gets a "too dumb to post here" infraction.

So let's have it guys.

IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
Pheezer on

• Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Things are pretty good. Can we have a condensation of the announcements and sticky section? Maybe have a drop down menu or expandable bar with all the stickies in them. It's wasting .00002 seconds of time to scroll past them.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If anything, H/A needs more Brettbrettbrett jokes.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You're a poop.

Or something. I dunno. I've gotten a decent number of infractions here (i.e. basically all of my infractions) and they were all deserved.

admanb on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2010
    oh man i've got some i've been saving up

pheezer? more like wheezer, knock off the cigarettes, old man oxygen tank

oh hellow fatatos

hey pheezer, your mom's a real classy lady

Organichu on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited August 2010
    Might want to let me know the safe word before I get started.

Just in case.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    RazzleDazzRazzleDazz Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Crack down on dudes and dudettes who feel the need to disagree with common wisdom just to seem different. This isn't D&D, g darn.

One time I PMed Jeffe and requested a temporary ban to prevent me from being distracted during a busy time in my life and never received a response. I now live in a cardboard box underwater.

RazzleDazz on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    RazzleDazz wrote: »
    Crack down on dudes and dudettes who feel the need to disagree with common wisdom just to seem different. This isn't D&D, g darn.

One time I PMed Jeffe and requested a temporary ban to prevent me from being distracted during a busy time in my life and never received a response. I now live in a cardboard box underwater.

How do you avoid drowning?

admanb on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'd be for bringing back joke posts when they amuse the mods.

As it is it would terrify me to ask what the problem with my tail pipe is.

Quid on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    admanb wrote: »

How do you avoid drowning?

Very high quality cardboard.

see317 on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    i think people giving objectively bad advice need harsher namecalling

Raneados on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Raneados wrote: »

Harsher then "Silly Goose"?
    You're just being a silly goose now, Rane. A silly, silly goose.

see317 on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    As much as I would like to abuse the overlords. I can't. Maybe somethings wrong with me. I dunno, Maybe i'm depressed.

The only abuse I could ever condone is watching gymkata-- All the way through.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    see317 wrote: »
    Raneados wrote: »

Harsher then "Silly Goose"?
    You're just being a silly goose now, Rane. A silly, silly goose.

mods can use other names! it's right there

Raneados on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think "alt threads" should be cracked down on. They're getting abused like crazy just because someone thinks their grandmother might find out who they are.

Oh, and a "Things Do In Portland/Seattle" sticky might be nice. I swear there's one of these threads every week.

Esh on
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    One time I PMed Jeffe and requested a temporary ban to prevent me from being distracted during a busy time in my life and never received a response.

Elki gave me a temporary ban on my request during finals last December. I didn't flunk out of school, so I guess that's good.
    Esh wrote: »
    Oh, and a "Things Do In Portland/Seattle" sticky might be nice. I swear there's one of these threads every week.

Maybe we could have a sticky that links back to the best "Things To Do In [x]" threads? It really does seem like an England/Europe/Australia/Seattle/NY thread pops up every week or so.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've been jailed for probably over a month now for a joke in a TF2 thread. It would of been nice to have a clear view of how long this is going to be kept up instead of PMing two mods and being told to PM the other one because that mod couldn't do anything about it.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    You got an infraction for posting to blue dot a thread in the MMO forum, by A duck!. I can't see how that's relevant here but because I spoil you people I'll tell you that infraction points take 60 days to expire. You were infracted on July 19. You have about four more weeks of unreasonable duress. I pray that you survive.

Pheezer on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    One time I PMed Jeffe and requested a temporary ban to prevent me from being distracted during a busy time in my life and never received a response.

Elki gave me a temporary ban on my request during finals last December. I didn't flunk out of school, so I guess that's good.

Maybe we could have a sticky that links back to the best "Things To Do In [x]" threads? It really does seem like an England/Europe/Australia/Seattle/NY thread pops up every week or so.

Esh on
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    can we make it a rule about people suggesting things other then what the poster wanted?

"Hey i know you wanted some help finding shorts, but have you ever thought about getting a parka instead?"

Jokerman on
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I suggested this before but basically got told "have some self control" but since it seems several people have been asking mods to do it, can we just get a 'self-ban' feature?

Call it Vacation Mode or whatever you want, it'd just help keep people from harassing mods for tempbans during finals and whatnot.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Jokerman wrote: »
    can we make it a rule about people suggesting things other then what the poster wanted?

"Hey i know you wanted some help finding shorts, but have you ever thought about getting a parka instead?"

I don't think that's a good idea. There have been plenty of times when people have suggested things that the OP had no idea about and benefited from. Now, if something is completely off base, then maybe, but it seems like something that could get abused pretty easily....

Esh on
  • Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

[/QUOTE]

this.

Also, I kinda miss the interweb suggestions i got in linksville, but i guess those days are over?

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2010
    Alt threads are allowed for a reason. It doesn't matter if people are worried their girlfriend might see, or if they're posting about their foot-lust and think they might want to run for President someday, or they're just worried about their silly forum reputation. Alts are allowed (in this forum only, unless that's changed recently) for the small sense of security the feeling of anonymity lends the OP, who otherwise might not feel comfortable posting when they have a problem. If you think it's a troll, report the thread. The mods can tell who it is and whether they're a serial troll, and if that's the case they'll take care of it. This is one of the few things that I will defend to the forum death because I feel it's important to H/A's utility.

Sometimes people come into H/A "wanting" consolation, but they did something they shouldn't have so they aren't going to get it. Sometimes they want an item that is of poor quality, and people suggest something better, or something different entirely that will serve a similar purpose in the end. You don't want to dictate that sort of thing in a rule.

Also mods can't do much about forum functionality.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Can we crack down on people accusing others of trolling for having a different opinion then them. I know we all like to think we're infallible but people are allowed to have a different opinion on how a situation should be handled.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    DeShadowC wrote: »

Can we crack down on people accusing others of trolling for having a different opinion then them. I know we all like to think we're infallible but people are allowed to have a different opinion on how a situation should be handled.

On that note can we crack down on people arguing in H&A in general? Some people act like theirs is the only advice out there for any situation and instead of just accepting or presenting a different point of view, want to argue about it.

Cauld on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2010
    oh i've got another one:

pheezer?

more like couldn't PLEASEHER with a map and a compass

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Wezoin wrote: »
    I suggested this before but basically got told "have some self control" but since it seems several people have been asking mods to do it, can we just get a 'self-ban' feature?

Call it Vacation Mode or whatever you want, it'd just help keep people from harassing mods for tempbans during finals and whatnot.

Works for me, as long as there's an understanding that if you're a dumbass and accidentally ban yourself we ain't fixing it.

Can mods also get the ability to turn every button into a stealth self-ban button for people who annoy us?

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    oh i've got another one:

pheezer?

Dude, I was only joking when I said I fucked yer mom. I don't actually date women so big that you can get lost when you're travelling through the bush.

Pheezer on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Pheezer wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    oh i've got another one:

pheezer?

Dude, I was only joking when I said I fucked yer mom. I don't actually date women so big that you can get lost when you're travelling through the bush.

Is it true that the southern sector of her snatch is actually a topiary garden?

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I don't know, I ended up somewhere in the foothills in the eastern quadrant, I'm lucky I found my way out at all.

Pheezer on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    ceres wrote: »
    Alt threads are allowed for a reason. It doesn't matter if people are worried their girlfriend might see, or if they're posting about their foot-lust and think they might want to run for President someday, or they're just worried about their silly forum reputation. Alts are allowed (in this forum only, unless that's changed recently) for the small sense of security the feeling of anonymity lends the OP, who otherwise might not feel comfortable posting when they have a problem. If you think it's a troll, report the thread. The mods can tell who it is and whether they're a serial troll, and if that's the case they'll take care of it. This is one of the few things that I will defend to the forum death because I feel it's important to H/A's utility.

Sometimes people come into H/A "wanting" consolation, but they did something they shouldn't have so they aren't going to get it. Sometimes they want an item that is of poor quality, and people suggest something better, or something different entirely that will serve a similar purpose in the end. You don't want to dictate that sort of thing in a rule.

Yeah, but people are getting WAY out of hand with them.

As if a pseudonym on a message board isn't enough, they need to create an alt on top of that? And yes, I know that some people's pseudonyms are known by they significant others, but if that's the case, maybe they shouldn't be posting what they consider to be touchy subjects here? Anyone who would know the poster would recognize the situation and coupled with the fact that that person is using an alt would rather quickly put two and two together.

I know you're sympathetic with these people, but it's a feature that's gotten abused.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Cauld wrote: »
    DeShadowC wrote: »

On that note can we crack down on people arguing in H&A in general? Some people act like theirs is the only advice out there for any situation and instead of just accepting or presenting a different point of view, want to argue about it.

There's arguing and there's disagreeing. People are allowed to have conflicting opinions on a subject and express that. Again, it's a really slippery slope if you decide to disallow "arguing".

Esh on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I don't think it's a problem that people post anonymously. At all. Like, why does it matter who they normally are? What do you gain by that knowledge, or what injury is done by not knowing who the actual user behind the curtain is?

As for disagreements getting out of hand, that's what the reporting system is there for. If you don't care for the way a particular argument is being conducted, report it instead of wading into it. Your reports are read, usually very quickly, and almost always acted on. Which is more of a testament to the quality of the reports we DO get, but if it's not being reported, and it's something more nuanced such as an argument that's beginning to get heated/running too long, you're hoping that every post in every thread is being read and that notes are being kept on the progress of it all.

And the solution is not to outlaw all conversation or debate.

Pheezer on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2010
    And yes, I know that some people's pseudonyms are known by they significant others, but if that's the case, maybe they shouldn't be posting what they consider to be touchy subjects here?
    The entire point is not to discourage people asking for help when they feel they need it, or feel that someone in H/A might be able to give them some perspective. Some people don't feel they need alts and that's fine, but not everybody's parents, relatives, significant others, or bosses are completely unable to use google. For those people, an alt is a good way to get advice from people they already feel they can trust about things that are important to them.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

As if a pseudonym on a message board isn't enough, they need to create an alt on top of that? And yes, I know that some people's pseudonyms are known by they significant others, but if that's the case, maybe they shouldn't be posting what they consider to be touchy subjects here? Anyone who would know the poster would recognize the situation and coupled with the fact that that person is using an alt would rather quickly put two and two together.

I know you're sympathetic with these people, but it's a feature that's gotten abused.

who cares? The only reason I can imagine for not wanting alts in h/a is you want to vary your response based on outside info about the poster. who cares if EVERY poster in h/a is anon? What does it cost you?

mods can reslove the alts on most forums so its not as if the alt can be used for pernicious dickitry or anything.

and the forum is FOR touchy subjects, ffs.

You say "abuse" when you seem to mean "used with a frequency I find unneeded"

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

who cares? The only reason I can imagine for not wanting alts in h/a is you want to vary your response based on outside info about the poster. who cares if EVERY poster in h/a is anon? What does it cost you?

mods can reslove the alts on most forums so its not as if the alt can be used for pernicious dickitry or anything.

and the forum is FOR touchy subjects, ffs.

You say "abuse" when you seem to mean "used with a frequency I find unneeded"

Hey, calm down there. I've just seen it abused a few times by people who shall not be named. It was a suggestion, not an out and out attack on anyone.

Esh on
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I am calm. Everyone who disagrees with you is not angry.

the fundamental question is "so what"

your response? People abused it. What people? "Some" people.

I don't feel the question "so what" has been remotely addressed.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If alts are cropping up more, wouldn't that indicate that more people are recognizing this as a place for good information/advice about touchy subjects? We could have 10 pages of alt threads and I'd take that a sign that something very right is happening rather than something wrong, as long as all 10 pages were made up of sincere questions.

Can those who disagree with it point out a few of the more notable recent offenses along this line? Like, cases of actual trolling that weren't dealt with quickly/efficiently by the reporting option?

Personally I'd say H&A polices itself pretty well, and don't recall many outright abuses of anonymous requests.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I am calm. Everyone who disagrees with you is not angry.

the fundamental question is "so what"

your response? People abused it. What people? "Some" people.

I don't feel the question "so what" has been remotely addressed.

I don't know, using "for fucks sake" and a lot of pretty aggressive language comes off as a little ticked.

I'm not naming names because that would violate this whole "alt system" that's in place. There was someone who was doing a lot of threads though with very contradictory information and who accidentally posted under their main.

EDIT: I never said anyone who disagreed was 'angry'. Look at Ceres' response for one that doesn't come off all half-cocked.

Anyway, enough derailing.

I think we should have more pizza parties.

Esh on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm not naming names because that would violate this whole "alt system" that's in place. There was someone who was doing a lot of threads though with very contradictory information and who accidentally posted under their main.

And you reported this to the mods, right? Is this person still doing this? Was the mod response not significant enough for your liking?

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
This discussion has been closed.