As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DnD 4E Discussion] Staff Fighter and Pyromancer essentials builds released on time!

• Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    oh my god
    oh my god

that is the best campaign ever

Hachface on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Note to self: Always assume my enemies are not evil, competent, highly intelligent mind controlling slime monsters....or else they might become such.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hachface wrote: »
    oh my god
    oh my god

that is the best campaign ever
    I've toyed with reworking it for 4E. The setting. I can't hope to replicate the player craziness.

I told you, I have a penchant for epic campaigns.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I love letting players dig their own graves. It makes it so much more fun for me when they come up with these crazy plots that are nowhere near what is actually happening.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    An actual poster who definitely has Hero's of the Fallen lands is posting at ENWorld. The mage has had some things posted that I thought are worth sharing:
    For Enchantment School, you get:
    1: Apprentice - forced movement bonus increase +2
    5: Expert - +2 bluff/diplomacy
    10: Master +2 bonus to forced attacks (when you dominate someone)
    Enchantment uses Charisma

Evocation, you get:
    1 Apprentice - reroll all 1s for damage
    5 Expert - +2 Endurance/Intimidate
    10 Master - ignore type resistance for damage (but not immunities)
    Evocation uses Constitution

Illusion, you get
    1 Apprentice targets take -2 penalty to next attack against you
    5 Expert +2 Bluff/Stealth
    10 Master target grants combat advantage
    Illusion uses Wisdom

This is pretty great to me and I really like this.

Edit: Apparently heavy blade expertise in essentials gives you a +2 bonus to all defenses while you're wielding the weapon in question. That's ridiculously absurd.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Evokers get to ignore resistances? Surely that isn't a constant effect.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Evokers get to ignore resistances? Surely that isn't a constant effect.

I have no problem believing that. Wizards seem to hate resistances almost as much as I do and don't appear to have problems completely ignoring them. It also means a "blaster" mage, aka an evoker doesn't pay a feat tax effectively to deal with resistances. These powers may have more nuances than given though, which is what is so frustrating when someone gets a new book that has lots of information we're dying to know and "drive by" posts. If I ever got a book before anyone else I wouldn't say anything until I had an afternoon to sit down and answer questions for a while.

I really want an answer to the heavy blade expertise thing, that feat looks completely whacked.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Aegeri your link to Enworld actually links to....this thread, here.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Aegeri your link to Enworld actually links to....this thread, here.

YOU LIE.

*Scratches the air towards you*

Edit: It looks like ritual casting, hybrid rules and multiclassing aren't in the essentials books. This makes sense actually, as none of the essentials classes gets ritual casting for free and its generally deemphasized. The feat I posted about earlier, heavy blade expertise - looks like it only adds the defensive bonus to opportunity attacks (not generally) but I am not 100% sure on that (the feat is in the red box, but the red box is wrong on some feats and abilities sadly).

Aegeri on
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Unless you are an unusually gifted improviser, your only real options besides railroading are 1) the illusion of choice or 2) real choice that is in some way constrained (you can go here, here, or here. pick one)

I think people are probably using an excessive definition of "railroading."

Railroading is the imposition of choice on player-characters in opposition to a choice they have made.

The classic example is, in a dungeon with two doors, and the players go left instead of right, the DM says "no there is a cave in." The players say, "We'll dig through the cave in." The DM says, "it's too caved in." And the PC's point out they all have Expert level proficiency in cave-in removal, and the DM says there's a magical skill-sapping field that prevents them from digging. All to make them go right instead of left. Note that saying the cave-in was there is not railroading- after all, cave ins occur. Nor is establishing that digging through it would be difficult; it's the manner in which the DM is arbitrarily restricting the choice of the PCs that constitutes railroading.

Railroading is ultimately an expression of the GM trying to control the PCs as they would an NPC or anything else in the world. That's annoying. No one likes that.

It is NOT railroading to simply arrange events around the PCs towards a desired narrative outcome; that's just normal DMing. In the dungeon example, if the DM says: "I want to have a combat encounter before the PCs get to the final boss", then whichever door they pick first has the combat encounter, and whichever door they pick second has the final boss. That's fine, if a bit clumsy.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    So new information on stuff!

Firstly, the new essentials builds coming up:
    Classes and builds to be included in Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms are the druid (sentinel, a leader), the paladin (cavalier, a defender), two builds of ranger (hunter, a controller and scout, a striker), and warlock (hexblade, a striker).

Martial controller at last hahahaha. The Druid is a leader, so we have a non-divine leader in essentials.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    smeejsmeej Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I want to know more about this cavalier.

smeej on
    IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Cavailer:

Bonuses to longsword and lance, can use their "good" alignment to justify any action. ("That starving orphan could have been an evil lich lord in disguise, so I had no choice BUT to disembowel him with my Holy Avenger +5! It's the only way to be sure!")

OR: ("He had to have been evil; otherwise I wouldn't have killed him!")

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I'm in love.

smeej on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    By the way, I was only half-joking. This is totally what cavaliers were like in 1st Ed.

delroland on
  • Options
    PantheraOncaPantheraOnca Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Aegeri wrote: »
    two builds of ranger (hunter, a controller and scout, a striker),
    builds of ranger (hunter, a controller and scout),
    ranger, a controller

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PantheraOnca on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I've built some really controller-y fighters in my day so I've never really felt this void.

smeej on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I still maintain Gladiator should be a martial controller class.

delroland on
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    delroland wrote: »
    By the way, I was only half-joking. This is totally what cavaliers were like in 1st Ed.

oh yes

unearthed arcana

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=8915744&postcount=26

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Oh, I know. I want to keep my Lawful Dumbness sharp.

smeej on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    smeej wrote: »
    Oh, I know. I want to keep my Lawful Dumbness sharp.

Having a cavalier also means you don't need a rogue in the party. Locked door? "I think I hear a baby crying!" Possibly trapped hallway? "I think I hear a baby crying!" Only one giant diamond between the two of you? "I think I hear a baby crying!"

The possibilities are endless.

delroland on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    So new information on stuff!

Firstly, the new essentials builds coming up:
    Classes and builds to be included in Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms are the druid (sentinel, a leader), the paladin (cavalier, a defender), two builds of ranger (hunter, a controller and scout, a striker), and warlock (hexblade, a striker).

Martial controller at last hahahaha. The Druid is a leader, so we have a non-divine leader in essentials.
    The Ranger in the Ravenloft Box has an ability called "Scout."

Whereas the Fighter has one called "Defender", etc.

I wonder if that's in any way linked with the new Ranger build.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I have to reconsider my free expertise house rule, because the new expertise feats are seriously good and worth taking on their own merits - not just as tax feats.
    Implement Expertise Category : Each implement expertise feat gives +1 feat bonus to implement attack rolls (increases by 1 at each tier), and when using them with implement power:

Orb Expertise: +1 square to forced movement
    Staff Expertise: don't provoke OA when making ranged or area attack
    Wand Expertise: ignore partial and superior cover

Weapon Expertise Category: Each weapon expertise feat gives +1 feat bonus to weapon attack rolls (increases by 1 at each tier), and when using them with implement power:

Axe: re-roll 1s for damage
    Bludgeon (hammer or mace): +1 to forced movement squares
    Bow: +1/tier damage to creatures with nobody adjacent
    Crossbow: ignore partial and superior cover
    Heavy Blade: +2 defense against OA
    Light Blade: +1/tier damage against CA creatures
    Sling: don't provoke OA when making ranged attacks
    Spear: +1/tier damage when charging
    Staff: both Implement and Weapon feat bonus, plus attack reach +1

Master at Arms: Gives generic +1/tier feat bonus to attack rolls with weapon attacks and minor action to sheath and then draw a weapon.

Melee Training: Use ability other than Strength for basic attacks, and use half ability mod instead of Str for damage.

Excellent information.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Staff Expertise is basically current Staff expertise + Shimmering Armor, which I always thought was a little broken anyway.

And now it's available at first level, and you can wear another type of armor. Wow.

At least Staff Wizards are going to be getting some love. I love me some close-combat badass wizardry.

Edit: Picks and flails are conspicuously absent from that list.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited September 2010
    It's kinda thematic though and it brings staffs up a bit to orbs and tomes. The wand benefit isn't bad either just quietly.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Does "both implement and weapon expertise" mean you get the effects of implement expertise as well? Because adding reach to a staff + negating OAs suddenly made InokeFighter viable again.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited September 2010
    I'm sure you can't have both staff expertise and implement expertise, as the staff expertise feat is both (Weapon and implement). Then again, without the precise wording and the book it is hard to say.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Everytime I see new stuff from essentials I get more worried. Not because I don't like it, but because there's stuff that's obviously getting left out. Like flails and picks in this case.

I realize it's just a dude with a copy of the book doing the transcription, but I find that omission worrisome.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Everytime I see new stuff from essentials I get more worried. Not because I don't like it, but because there's stuff that's obviously getting left out. Like flails and picks in this case.

I realize it's just a dude with a copy of the book doing the transcription, but I find that omission worrisome.
    Maybe someone ought to work on a "forgotten weapons" article for Dragon that gives all the bizarre superior weapons a bit more love, as well as making flails an attractive choice for non-martial classes.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I have to reconsider my free expertise house rule, because the new expertise feats are seriously good and worth taking on their own merits - not just as tax feats.
    Implement Expertise Category : Each implement expertise feat gives +1 feat bonus to implement attack rolls (increases by 1 at each tier), and when using them with implement power:

Orb Expertise: +1 square to forced movement
    Now I feel even more like I'm not playing my wizard right. He's an orb sorc with no forced movement powers...

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Unless you are an unusually gifted improviser, your only real options besides railroading are 1) the illusion of choice or 2) real choice that is in some way constrained (you can go here, here, or here. pick one)

I think people are probably using an excessive definition of "railroading."

Railroading is the imposition of choice on player-characters in opposition to a choice they have made.

Railroading is ultimately an expression of the GM trying to control the PCs as they would an NPC or anything else in the world. That's annoying. No one likes that.

It is NOT railroading to simply arrange events around the PCs towards a desired narrative outcome; that's just normal DMing. In the dungeon example, if the DM says: "I want to have a combat encounter before the PCs get to the final boss", then whichever door they pick first has the combat encounter, and whichever door they pick second has the final boss. That's fine, if a bit clumsy.

And that is exactly what Hatch is referring to when he talks about the illusion of choice.

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Those defensive feats for people with a 15 in one of the linked attributes look nice. It's a nice compromise.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Those defensive feats for people with a 15 in one of the linked attributes look nice. It's a nice compromise.
    I always build my Defenders as 16/16/16 if I can, since I'm a defense whore.

Those feats are looking mighty nice.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited September 2010
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote: »

Maybe someone ought to work on a "forgotten weapons" article for Dragon that gives all the bizarre superior weapons a bit more love, as well as making flails an attractive choice for non-martial classes.
    I'm relatively Ok with flails being martially oriented, since they're a difficult weapon type to really master.

I just wish they'd get some more love in general. This essentials thing is another in a long line of snubs when compared to heavy blades and axes.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited September 2010
    If anybody could take a quick look over this Halfling Monk and let me know if I did anything stupidly wrong.

Well, aside from the whole idea. I know I'm not geared very heavily in the deal damage department but I think a character that can go happily in the enemies backfield and look for squishes could be valuable. I know the AC is good but the NADs could land me in trouble I think.

Edit: Oh, and how widespread is the use of backgrounds? I've kind of ignored them, do most people actually use them?

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, I find they provide a small but not terribly significant benefit. I haven't really noticed any real problem with them, excepting the FR and Scales of War backgrounds. These can be pretty out of whack with the more general ones released later on I'm afraid to say.

Edit: Also there are 14 weapon expertise feats apparently. So it's likely a few are missing from the list on the previous page.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Why are Flails seen as martial weapons? The only characters I've ever built or played with flails have both been martial. (Warden with a whip or triple-headed-flail, Seeker with a Bola.)

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Kay wrote: »
    Why are Flails seen as martial weapons? The only characters I've ever built or played with flails have both been martial. (Warden with a whip or triple-headed-flail, Seeker with a Bola.)
    Because there isn't a lot of support for them outside of martial classes. And there isn't even much there except for some Fighter powers. There are a few feats, but not many.

Non-martial classes also don't tend to go Str/Dex very often, so qualifying for the feats associated with the weapon type is harder. Unlike hammers and axes, for example.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited September 2010
    New build for the assassin is the executioner.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Also:

I wandered through a used book store today (as I occasionally do) and found a 1979 monster manual.

I bought it, of course. Oh how far we've come.

On the inside, the publisher information, it has a small inscription that says "4th Edition, August, 1979."

It's a conspiracy. Gygax has been in on it all along.

OptimusZed on