As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Flappy Paddle is the one true shifter. [Car] Thread.

• Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    I drove the manual Fit. They had several of them. It was slow. Yeah, it's zippy but zippy to me means if you rev the balls out of it you might actually get some reasonable acceleration. It just didn't hold a candle to the Subaru which is obvious since the WRX has more than twice the horsepower (117 vs. 265).

XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    This month has been awesome for car sales. I am currently up to 11 for the month which on a car lot of my size and in my location is great.

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    saltiness wrote:
    Ugh. Car shopping is making me crazy.

I currently drive a '97 Subaru Outback with 175k mi. I love how roomy it is and I love the AWD. I hate the automatic transmission and the fact that the car is getting near the end of its life.

I tested a 2012 Subaru WRX and a 2012 Honda Fit yesterday. Figured I'd try a fun car and a sensible car. The Subaru was amazing. So much power and the ride quality was good considering the tires and suspension. The Honda was nice, easy to drive, lots of space but it was so slow. I just can't see myself being happy with a car that gutless. I really want the Subaru but I'm looking at $25,000 there and I just don't want to pay that much so I think I'm stuck looking for something comparable to the WRX but used. I want something that is a wagon with a manual transmission and somewhat exciting performance for less than $18,000.

So the plan is to scour the used market for in order of preference:
    1) 2004-2007 Subaru WRX Wagon 5-speed (rare)
    2) 2003-2009 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon 5-speed (rare)
    3) 2002-2005 Lexus IS300 Wagon 5-speed (apparently impossible to find)
    4) 2005-2009 Subaru Outback XT Wagon 5-speed (not as rare)

Try the Mazdaspeed3? Looking at buying one this week and seems to meet your criteria.

• Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    iguanacus wrote:
    saltiness wrote:

I currently drive a '97 Subaru Outback with 175k mi. I love how roomy it is and I love the AWD. I hate the automatic transmission and the fact that the car is getting near the end of its life.

I tested a 2012 Subaru WRX and a 2012 Honda Fit yesterday. Figured I'd try a fun car and a sensible car. The Subaru was amazing. So much power and the ride quality was good considering the tires and suspension. The Honda was nice, easy to drive, lots of space but it was so slow. I just can't see myself being happy with a car that gutless. I really want the Subaru but I'm looking at $25,000 there and I just don't want to pay that much so I think I'm stuck looking for something comparable to the WRX but used. I want something that is a wagon with a manual transmission and somewhat exciting performance for less than $18,000.

Try the Mazdaspeed3? Looking at buying one this week and seems to meet your criteria.

Also, take a look at the Volkswagen GTI from 2006-2009. I have a 2007 (bought new) and it's fantastic. It definitely won't be as fast as the WRX, but it's won boatloads of magazine awards and regularly wins in comparisons with other similar cars. IMO, it's just about the best intersection of fun, usefulness, and price.

• Options
    jimb213 wrote:
    iguanacus wrote:
    saltiness wrote:

Also, take a look at the Volkswagen GTI from 2006-2009. I have a 2007 (bought new) and it's fantastic. It definitely won't be as fast as the WRX, but it's won boatloads of magazine awards and regularly wins in comparisons with other similar cars. IMO, it's just about the best intersection of fun, usefulness, and price.

I've looked at both of these cars. The Mazda is one of the ugliest cars out there IMO, some people like them but I just can't get over the styling. I like the GTI a lot. The styling is great, I love the plaid seats. I'm worried about reliability with those, though - seems to have gone downhill since the early '00s. My major issue with both of these cars, however is the front-wheel drive.

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Current MS3 is pretty ugly yeah, but I always like the previous generation. The one I'm looking at is an 08, btw.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I recommend the Suby Legacy GT. I have one, and love it.

• Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    This car:

daytona-gtb-front.jpg

• Options
    wmelonwmelon Registered User regular
    Slider wrote:
    This car:

daytona-gtb-front.jpg

mmmmmmm daytona.

• Options

What kind of gas mileage do you get with it? What year is it?

• Options
    saltiness wrote:

What kind of gas mileage do you get with it? What year is it?

2006, and like 24-25 MPG combined. :/

• Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    Whats under the hood?
    My parents both have outbacks. Aren't they more or less a hatchback legacy?
    My dad drives a 4 cyclinder 5 speed and my mom the v6 auto. What do you have?
    He swears his mileage is incredible compared to hers (though she also has the crazy LL Bean edition, full leather and electric everything)

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    This may be old news to some of you, but I was just looking at the Subaru Canada web site. Looks like my 2009 Impreza is going to be in the last generation with the 2.5L boxer. The new 2012 models are only available with the 2.0.

Good thing I plan on keeping it for a while. I'd hate to go for the 2.0 without any type of turbo.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    SpacklerSpackler Registered User regular
    Whats under the hood?
    He swears his mileage is incredible compared to hers (though she also has the crazy LL Bean edition, full leather and electric everything)
    My parents have a 2010 Outback with the 4 + CVT, and my dad claims something crazy for highway mileage (37?). I'm trying to decide when exactly he got so bad at math - but he swears that's what he gets from trip/gas added at pump... /shrug

He does drive really slow though nowadays.

• Options
    yeah my Impreza averaged 9.0L/100KM when I was doing mostly highway driving. Since I'm sticking to the city more (changed to a local work location), the average has gone up to 10.5L/100KM. I also am a rather...spirited driver.

Using some online converter, that means I get 26MPG highway and 22.5MPG city.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    So, we are expecting in April, and my wife has back problems. This means we are looking into getting a taller vehicle to make it easier to move a carseat/squirming child in and out. We've looked at a bunch of different vehicles, and have a favorite...
    model-nav-q5.jpg
    Audi Q5

Specifically, the 2L turbo model. Is it just stupid to get one of these from a reliability standpoint though? It's easily the most expensive car either of us have seriously considered, and we keep coming back to the reputation.

Spackler on
  • Options
    JRoseyJRosey Registered User regular
    Anecdotal: my sister is a mechanic and all she ever does is complain about shoddy Audi craftsmanship.

• Options
    Yeah if you want an SUV from a reliable brand I would sooner think Volvo would be the "go-to" brand.

Also anecdotal.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Audi's have super high repair bills, but if you sell it prior to the warranty running out you're golden. They start breaking around 80-100k.

Saltiness - include 2005-6 9-2X's in your search, they're subaru WRX's with saab badging and better interiors/styling.
    I just sold mine. So sad. I live in the city now so no reason to have 2 cars. Thankfully my GF's C30 R-Design is just as fun to drive.

• Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    Spackler wrote:
    Whats under the hood?
    My parents have a 2010 Outback with the 4 + CVT, and my dad claims something crazy for highway mileage (37?). I'm trying to decide when exactly he got so bad at math - but he swears that's what he gets from trip/gas added at pump... /shrug

I have a friend with a 98 or 99 outback and he says he gets in the low 30s. So I would hope that the newer ones get as good or better gas mileage.

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    schuss wrote:
    Audi's have super high repair bills, but if you sell it prior to the warranty running out you're golden. They start breaking around 80-100k.

That doesn't sound like a very great financial decision considering how expensive those things are and I'm guessing they lose quite a bit of value.

So far I am living under the guide lines of buy a car, run it into the ground before moving to the next car.

• Options
    wmelonwmelon Registered User regular
    Decius wrote:
    Yeah if you want an SUV from a reliable brand I would sooner think Volvo would be the "go-to" brand.

Also anecdotal.

I was very disappointed with the reliability on my Volvo S60. I had something go out every year that cost me in excess of $1000 to replace. Even the radiator was an $1100 job. When the car was working it was an absolute blast though.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Every young-ish Mom I know who isn't dumb about things has a Subaru Forester or Nissan Rogue. Richer, older ones have X3's and Explorers. I'd personally go with a Forester (any vintage).

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    So the "stupid" guy who crashed his Veyron into a lagoon two years ago has now moved from "stupid" to "insurance fraud".

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Insurer-calls-crash-of-1-2-million-car-fraud-2332020.php

Also from "what a dumbass" to "someone put a hit on this guy for destroying that car on purpose."

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Whats under the hood?
    The 2.5 GT which we're talking about has a turbocharged 2.5L 4-cylinder boxer engine for about 250hp. It's the sportiest Legacy. An Outback is a Legacy with a higher ride height and beefier suspension. The Legacy and the Outback have both been available in sedan and wagon versions although not in all model years.

• Options
    So I went ahead and tested the GTI, Civic Si and CR-Z yesterday based on some of the suggestions here. I figured I might as well try some FWD cars since they may have made some improvements to the drivetrain design since my last FWD car (1992 Accord).

I was pleasantly surprised. The GTI handled excellently. It's definitely much nicer inside than the WRX - more adult. I'm still worried about german maintenance costs though. I want a car I can keep for 10 years.

The Civic Si was boring to me at first but the salesman told me to go nuts with it so as I merged on to the freeway I went all for it and wound up hitting 98mph without even knowing it. Even that car is much faster than what I'm used to. The interior is spartan in typical Honda fashion which bored me at first but the more I think about it, the more I like it. There's something about Honda interiors that make them feel timeless.

The CR-Z was a very interesting car. A hybrid with a 6-speed manual. Two seats. Spaceship-like cockpit. It's quite an appealing car. It's not very fast but it has plenty of power for normal, somewhat spirited driving. It feels significantly faster than the Fit. I was tempted, especially with the gas mileage figures and the low price but I can't bring myself to buy something that small. I like a car where I can throw my mountain bike in the back without taking off both of the wheels. My current Subaru is perfect for that, if only it could go faster than 70mph and not leak oil like the Exxon Valdez.

I definitely need to take my time and find the right car. I thought this was going to be easy at first but once you really get to try them all out you see that they all have their own compelling strengths. It's probably better I sit on it a few months and save up a nice downpayment anyway. I like the idea of having a sub-$350 monthly payment.

• Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    I hate Subarus and the people who drive them...over here, at least.

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    When I got my Scion back in 2010, we sold my wife's '97 Altima because rust was devouring it's soul. She inherited the '98 Trans Sport that I had purchased from my parents for moving post-college. We had been discussing getting her a new car for some time now, and we pulled the trigger on a Juke last night.

What an awesome car. We went out to test drive a Rogue, but hated the visibility in the rear. The Juke really impressed us. It has a great list of standard features even on the base model. I had completely forgotten it existed prior to the salesman pointing it out to us.

• Options
    Slider wrote:

I generally agree, but replace Subarus with all cars ever.

It just snowed here, but since it was kind of warm, there is a layer of ice underneath. I saw one guy just run off the road in an SUV (big surprise!) as he was going too fast, and couldn't stop, and lost all control. He got hella lucky he just jumped the curb instead of smacking the car stopped at the light. I mean, you can easily SEE the ice underneath.

• Options
    Spackler wrote:
    Whats under the hood?

I have a friend with a 98 or 99 outback and he says he gets in the low 30s. So I would hope that the newer ones get as good or better gas mileage.
    The outback has gotten bigger and heavier (added >500 lbs) since then, and emissions regs have cut into mileage a bit as well. The 98s had an (old) highway EPA of 30mpg, the new one is rated at 27.
    schuss wrote:

That doesn't sound like a very great financial decision considering how expensive those things are and I'm guessing they lose quite a bit of value.

So far I am living under the guide lines of buy a car, run it into the ground before moving to the next car.
    That's how we usually go as well, and normally we'd be keeping her Accord for a few more years. I'm sad about it, but the Audi may just not be what we need (though it is fun to drive).

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Spackler wrote:
    So, we are expecting in April, and my wife has back problems. This means we are looking into getting a taller vehicle to make it easier to move a carseat/squirming child in and out. We've looked at a bunch of different vehicles, and have a favorite...
    model-nav-q5.jpg
    Audi Q5

Specifically, the 2L turbo model. Is it just stupid to get one of these from a reliability standpoint though? It's easily the most expensive car either of us have seriously considered, and we keep coming back to the reputation.

I really like the Q5, and were i ever to look for a bigger car to replace the 330i I'd take a long hard look in that direction.

The decision, I think, would come down to weather I wanted to put up with the more expensive long term maintenance of the Audi + the better comfort and performance vs something more practical like a RAV 4 or whatever. The Q5 would probably win, though it would come down to wether I planned on having the car for 4-5 years vs 10, I think.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    How is that the Outback has dropped from 32 to 27 when most SUVs have had their gas mileage go up in the past 10 years?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    How is that the Outback has dropped from 32 to 27 when most SUVs have had their gas mileage go up in the past 10 years?

a. different EPA test
    b. 500 lbs more weight (and more size)
    c. .3L more displacement
    d. more strict emissions regs

it's basically a different car than it used to be, and is being tested by/for a different world.
    -edit- and people have been unhappy with Subaru's mileage numbers the last few years for exactly your observation and is something they are trying to improve on with the next round of model refreshes.
    schuss wrote:
    Every young-ish Mom I know who isn't dumb about things has a Subaru Forester or Nissan Rogue. Richer, older ones have X3's and Explorers. I'd personally go with a Forester (any vintage).

My wife has a thing against Forresters, and we didn't like the Rogue for a couple of reasons (most importantly the rear-seat access and her back). We liked the X3 a lot, but the high price when optioned where we'd like it (i.e. no vinyl seats) and changed-for-no-good-reason controls kinda took it out of the running.

We are currently at:
    - Q5 (fun, comfortable)
    - Volvo XC60 (not so fun, more comfortable, but less space and lower seat height hurt it)
    - RAV4 (cheaper option, drives well, good space, but seats aren't as comfortable and the brakes felt... unconvincing)
    - Acura RDX (similar to the RAV4, but better seats, kinda lame engine, and less interior space)

We also looked at a ton of other cars (CR-V, Santa Fe, Highlander, Rogue, Murano, Outback, Forrester, V70, Juke, Infiniti EX/FX); basically every one has strengths and weaknesses, but we cut it down to this list for a variety of reasons.

Spackler on
  • Options
    I understand it's a different car. It's a wagon not an SUV.

But SUVs have received the same regulations as everyone else over the past few years and have gone up in gas mileage. Not down. So why has the Subaru gone down?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I understand it's a different car. It's a wagon not an SUV.

But SUVs have received the same regulations as everyone else over the past few years and have gone up in gas mileage. Not down. So why has the Subaru gone down?
    I'm thinking it was a wagon in 1998, but it's an SUV now. A lot of SUVs have improved mileage over the last decade, but they have moved the opposite direction - smaller engines, less weight, etc. I think SUVs that got bigger during the same time frame (RAV4, CR-V) also lost economy.

Though Subaru does have poorer mileage numbers in general now.. Though again my crazy dad says he gets ~37 hwy with a new Outback so... I dunno if I believe him.

In other news:
    http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2013-subaru-brz-debuts-at-tokyo-auto-show-news

Spackler on
  • Options
    So the BRZ and FR-S differentiate in their headlights and taillights. Gotcha.

I don't buy the bit about the wing as a differentiate because the Scion is a Scion, it'll probably 2 or 3 wing options.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    With the Subaru BRZ and Scions new FR-S, the Genesis Coupe isn't going to be the only new kid on the block anymore. Although it looks to me like the Genesis 2.0 is going to be the main competitor to those two. I honesly don't know if the Mustang and Camaro 6s are in the same category. Way too heavy and big in my opinion. Those two definitly do better with their 8s. Still, I might test drive all of them when it's time for the new car, although if truth be told, a BOSS is what I really want.

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Krieghund wrote:
    With the Subaru BRZ and Scions new FR-S, the Genesis Coupe isn't going to be the only new kid on the block anymore. Although it looks to me like the Genesis 2.0 is going to be the main competitor to those two. I honesly don't know if the Mustang and Camaro 6s are in the same category. Way too heavy and big in my opinion. Those two definitly do better with their 8s. Still, I might test drive all of them when it's time for the new car, although if truth be told, a BOSS is what I really want.

The Genesis is a hulk compared to these guys. I find them intriguing.

original.png

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    I still wish the Subie would have come with AWD. It's kinda Subaru's thing, and it would be nice to see them have a modern version of the SVX.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    Slider wrote:

So you hate the entire state of Colorado?