As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV] Open Beta ends the 19th; Wutai server! Server change for live?

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Holy shit. Setting everything to lowest makes the game 8 bit. You can't even read people's names. That's fucking absurd.

... and the graphical lag didn't improve, anyway. What the hell, SE?

KiTA on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    CripTonic wrote: »
    And the emote list lags like hell so it takes forever to get through it every time I want to try a new one.

You can type emotes in the chat line now.

how? /em ____?

/wave , /cheer etc.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm either going crazy or my password has become invalid twice for no apparent reason. I failed to log-in, so I did password recovery, it worked a few times.. now it's happening again.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So is there like a help menu?
    Somewhere where I can find slash commands, find out what these stats do, maybe find out what the range of my spells and weapons are?

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Going to port into Gridania area. If anyone wants a LS invite /tell Exzeph Crosswind.

user on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Oh, the curse of the min-maxer.
    I have these stats to allocate but no clue what they do and I don't want to make the wrong choice.

TheStig on
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Things I don't understand that annoy me - Why is the chat box so godawful ugly? Why do I not have the option to just reply to someone, instead of HAVING TO TYPE THEIR WHOLE GODDAMN NAME TO HAVE A CONVERSATION? A problem which is compounded by the fact that there's a character limit of approximately one medium length sentence, so if I have anything substantial to say it's almost not even worth the effort.

That's not even getting into the lag (stress test related), the crashes (NOT stress test related), the software mouse (WTF?), and other general UI clunkiness.

This does not look like a game that's ready to be launched this month. It looks like a game in the early stages of beta testing.

You could try pressing Ctrl+R to reply, since you know....that actually works. And you can change the chatbox and make it bigger if you want.

You can also use /chatmode tell Player Name to set your chat mode to talk just to them so all you need to do it press space and start typing.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    TheStig wrote: »
    Oh, the curse of the min-maxer.
    I have these stats to allocate but no clue what they do and I don't want to make the wrong choice.

http://www.eorzeapedia.com/wiki/en/Category:Stats

Seems to have basic info on what stat does what. Hard to say about min-max though.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Thanks.

So I got disconnected while doing a levequest (again), is there any way to regain the quest, or is that and its rewards lost forever? How do I get more quests?

TheStig on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sonelan wrote: »
    The first one is beckon. No idea what the rest are. You'd think joy would show them our joy but no it doesn't.

Yeah, that's as far as I got before I ragequit.

On a semi-related note, is my perceived "input lag" because my computer is shitty, or because the servers are shitty? I like the atmosphere and story of this game (I'm actually paying attention to the story! No MMO has gotten me to do that before), but if I can't get it to run better on my computer, it won't be worth it.

I don't have any of this input lag (at least that I can notice) So it may be your PC or internet connection or something. Granted I'm playing with a controller... but even when I reach over to use the mouse, even in the middle of the city, it seems to work just fine.

Oh and someone asked about the element stats earlier, they count for both defense AND damage with that element.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    AkiraAkira Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You will need a new key from the website.

The client will work fine if it is updated.

Sonelan, I am not in game right now, alas.

Thanks, guess I'll try to grab a new key once the site isn't so hammered.

Akira on
    akira.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I need a linkshell or something, this is the most unintuitive game ever and I'm going to flood this forum with all my questions.

What's "Battle Regimen" Is that auto attack? Because auto attack would be nice.

How do you rest after battle? I'm stuck in combat mode and 82 hp. Tried everything, nothing works.

TheStig on
  • Options
    VampireCactusVampireCactus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    DaemonSadi wrote: »

I don't have any of this input lag (at least that I can notice) So it may be your PC or internet connection or something. Granted I'm playing with a controller... but even when I reach over to use the mouse, even in the middle of the city, it seems to work just fine.

I'm using a controller, too. hmm....well, the only input lag I get is with the menus, really. Are the menus really slow for anyone else?

VampireCactus on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    TheStig wrote: »
    I need a linkshell or something, this is the most unintuitive game ever and I'm going to flood this forum with all my questions.

What's "Battle Regimen" Is that auto attack? Because auto attack would be nice.

How do you rest after battle? I'm stuck in combat mode and 82 hp. Tried everything, nothing works.

Check in your controller/keyboard bindings to check what key you have the mode switch button to (lets you put away your weapon)

When you are out of battle mode it auto refills, and auto refills faster when not moving.

Not that it helps but for me it is right bumper on the controller...

Also remember... if you buy the game you get an instruction manual that will explain all of this.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Well, I got my character created. Dropped settings down to low-medium levels and it made a huge difference in the mouse lag. Not perfect, but maybe playable. Still looks quite nice anyway.

Now let's see if I can get off this boat..

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    VampireCactusVampireCactus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    huh...I was just trying out some random things to make the game run a bit better, so I went to the task manager to change the priority...turns out it's on "low" by default. That seems weird. Is this true for anyone else?

VampireCactus on
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    huh...I was just trying out some random things to make the game run a bit better, so I went to the task manager to change the priority...turns out it's on "low" by default. That seems weird. Is this true for anyone else?

That's weird. I'll have to check in the morning.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    TeyarTeyar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, this is the most unbelievably badly optimized system engine ever. I cannot get it to run smoothly no matter what I do.

Teyar on
    Kick At The Darkness Until It Bleeds Daylight
  • Options
    JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The Japanese aim to displease. :)

JediNight on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    So, the con system is Green Blue Red right?
    I have had no problems with green or blue, but I ran into an Anling Digger that was nothing, so I assumed it was even match. It hit me for 1642, one shotting me.

TheStig on
  • Options
    CripTonicCripTonic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

yes, yes it is... Setting it to high didn't help at all, so I'm under the impression this is just some anti-hack thing like the software mouse.

CripTonic on
    0liDg.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    This game is really a lot like FFXI, especially in how unfriendly it is to new players.

TheStig on
  • Options
    KashiKashi Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I am consistently getting 1 objective away from finishing a quest when the game crashes, and apparently takes the quest with it. Why they couldn't code that to persist through the game restarting I will never understand.

Kashi on
    dura1top.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    This is going to be another round of "We swear, dudes, theres a great game in here! EXCEPT IT HATES YOUR FACE FOREVER" things, isnt it? I can wrap my head around a smaller company having that going on, Square? WTF, people? If theres anyone on the planet we should seriously expect to compete with Blizzard... urgh.

Teyar on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Bleh. I don't have any wired gamepads and can't afford to splurge on one at the moment. Guess I'll suffer the software mouse and maybe changing the priority will help fix my issues with it.

SkyCaptain on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Teyar wrote: »
    This is going to be another round of "We swear, dudes, theres a great game in here! EXCEPT IT HATES YOUR FACE FOREVER" things, isnt it? I can wrap my head around a smaller company having that going on, Square? WTF, people? If theres anyone on the planet we should seriously expect to compete with Blizzard... urgh.

It really could be great if they just spent another month or two on nothing but UI polish and performance.

The sad thing is, if it was a company like blizzard I'd be thinking "oh man, it's kinda shitty right now, but a month after release...", but square has such a long track record of simply never fixing shit that everyone knows is broken.

TheStig on
  • Options
    LogicowLogicow Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Can anyone give me a linkshell pearl or whatever it is I need to get started? I'm in the starting forest area, name is "Logicat Cleo".

Logicow on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Ok, so I got as many leves as I could in town and this is significantly faster leveling.

Also, for anyone who cares, 5 points in VIT gave me 54 HP as a Lallafell thurwhatever

So do I get more spells automatically or do I have to buy them? Where do I buy them if that's the case.

TheStig on
  • Options
    Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    you get spells as you level up that job

level up by using moves

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    K, thanks. Is anyone else having server problems?
    edit: nvm, connecting fine now.

TheStig on
  • Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Have a buddy that's really into FFXI, so I figured I'd give this a go in case it's something we can group up on.

Wow. If they're not going to take this game seriously, I'm sure as hell not going to.

Madpoet on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    WANNA PLAY. ; _ ; Curse my boss for making me work this weekend. Usually I have my weekends off.

SkyCaptain on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, this game...? Fuck the engine. It is seriously going out of its way to actively make you hate it. It keeps setting its priority to LOW, and wont even keep it if I snag a permanent priority setter program.

Also, incase anyone from the devteam ever reads this : PRIORITY ONE IS A SMOOTH, EFFICIENT UI AND PERFORMANCE. THAT is what made WoW "pop" for me the first time I played it, and its STILL the actual secret behind these things.

Every second I spend wrestling with the UI is another second I am A ) Actively hating something that is part of the product and B ) Not playing the game itself.

This is not an esoteric secret, people...

Teyar on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I really get what people mean when they say that Japenese game developers would rather be making movies than games.

In other news:
    33loyux.jpg

TheStig on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Things I don't understand that annoy me - Why is the chat box so godawful ugly? Why do I not have the option to just reply to someone, instead of HAVING TO TYPE THEIR WHOLE GODDAMN NAME TO HAVE A CONVERSATION? A problem which is compounded by the fact that there's a character limit of approximately one medium length sentence, so if I have anything substantial to say it's almost not even worth the effort.

Odds are the character limit is made with Japanese in mind, since you can say a lot more in fewer characters.
    Scosglen wrote: »
    Honestly, my "for reals" opinion is, that the problems with FFXIV are more symptomatic of Japan's failure to keep up with game development in the West, rather than endemic of all MMORPG releases.

There is a laundry list of fundamental problems with this game and the software that even an extra 3 or 6 months of polish probably would not buff away, due to what I can only describe as "Japanese Obstinance".

You would probably be shocked to see how very, very, little the game has actually changed as apparent to us testers since Alpha 1.

OK, how is doing things differently so horrible?

Note that I have never played an MMO but FFXI and this, so please explain their failures in simple terms

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    These fundamental UI/control issues are pretty frustrating, especially when you can see the hint of an interesting game underneath. Fun rapidly declines if I have to struggle just to play a game though. This is one of the huge advancements recent MMOs have improved on.. user experience and accessibility (including customization). There is no excuse.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Pata wrote: »
    OK, how is doing things differently so horrible?

Note that I have never played an MMO but FFXI and this, so please explain their failures in simple terms

Awful patcher, controls, UI. Vague unintuitive stuff, like not even saying what the stats do in game.
    I have only been playing the game for a few hours but some things that annoy me:
    Combat feels really unresponsive, like, not even lag, it's just designed to be unresponsive and unfun.
    Range of skills isn't shown.
    Sometimes, I'll just not be able to do anything, and it doesn't say why.
    No MP regen?
    I'm like level 5 now, I haven't received any new skills and the stats I get I simply place blindly, with no idea of what they do, what later impact they will have, and how much of a pain in the ass it will be to undo the mistakes I'm likely making.
    It took me a while to find out how to respawn. How hard would it have been to make a "You are dead: Respawn?" popup?

TheStig on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    What really insults me is that its pretty much the same interface as 11. And that was a horrible, horrible interface, too. Its like they cannot actively learn a damn thing.

Teyar on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah. This is 2002 all over again.

edit: aoe spells with nothing marking how large of an area they hit.
    whoops I'm dead.

TheStig on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    It's prettier than 2002 though. :mrgreen:

SkyCaptain on
This discussion has been closed.