Options

999[DS] / VLR / ZE3 [3DS/PSV]: Wassup. You have ...Somnium Files? Siggyyy. Phidooo.

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Talith wrote: »
    Right now I kind of wish I saved the true ending for last. At the very least I should play to see what is behind doors 3 and 2, but the game has been "beaten" and now golden sun is demanding attention. :(

You really should choose Door #3. It's the most disturbing series of events in the game, leading to the most disturbing ending.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    JesuitsJesuits Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I closed out my browser and went back to the site, and sure enough, I could get in fine. Must've been the birthdate screw-up the first time.

The question I asked:
    When creating a puzzle room, what elements do you design first in the process? (Setting/location, plot hooks, first or last puzzles, those sorts of things, or something else entirely?)

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    InitialDKInitialDK Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    This should be waiting in my mailbox when I get home. I'm excited to get reading!!

InitialDK on
    "I'd happily trade your life for knowledge of my powers."
    -Louis C.K.
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    Talith wrote: »
    Right now I kind of wish I saved the true ending for last. At the very least I should play to see what is behind doors 3 and 2, but the game has been "beaten" and now golden sun is demanding attention. :(

You really should choose Door #3. It's the most disturbing series of events in the game, leading to the most disturbing ending.

I still find ending 3 to be the most disturbing; the one you get via Door 3 might be the most confusing, though.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I caved in on the way home, working my way through the prologue.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I was a bit confused by the Door 3 ending.
    So uh... who the heck was the killer? I would assume because of the knife it's
    Ace,
    but they showed him dead in the lobby. Unless we're supposed to simply assume he was playing possum?.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So this came pretty much out of nowhere, huh? I'm a sucker for horror games of any kind, and I most definitely want to support the visual novel format.

I went to find an online store, and came across another game called Time Hollow and yet another one called Theresia (also from Aksys) - both horror/mystery adventure games. So I looked them up and ended up ordering all three. Man, I feel so out of the loop when it comes to portable games - are there any more out there like these?

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Cherrn wrote: »
    So this came pretty much out of nowhere, huh? I'm a sucker for horror games of any kind, and I most definitely want to support the visual novel format.

I went to find an online store, and came across another game called Time Hollow and yet another one called Theresia (also from Aksys) - both horror/mystery adventure games. So I looked them up and ended up ordering all three. Man, I feel so out of the loop when it comes to portable games - are there any more out there like these?

I've heard middling things about "Lux-Pain" - which seems similar thematically, but apparently suffers from a sub-par translation. "Lifesigns: Hospital Affairs" is a little trauma centre, a lot visual novel. "Flower, Sun and Rain" is an old Suda 51 game - it's third person, but otherwise perfectly fits the baffling/unsettling mystery genre. Hotel Dusk and Another Code are quite well known mystery/puzzle games, both short and with the former much better regarded than the latter. And, y'know the entire Phoenix Wright series, which is near-essential if you're into this stuff.

A question for the thread - I've been hearing a bit about this game going for a reduced price, but does anyone know of anywhere that ships internationally doing this? The cheapest I can find is play-asia, which has if for $35 plus quite a bit of shipping. I'm really interested, but not quite willing to spend twice what I have on any other recent game just to get my hands on it.

Bioptic on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Re: Theresia, I've heard comparisons drawn to the NES game Shadowgate.

It seems worth a try at some point.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I just finished Last Window, the sequel to Hotel Dusk, and it's pretty awesome.

The Hotel Dusk series is far tamer than something like 999 but it's still got some great mysteries, good writing, and a unique art style.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Bioptic wrote: »

I've heard middling things about "Lux-Pain" - which seems similar thematically, but apparently suffers from a sub-par translation. "Lifesigns: Hospital Affairs" is a little trauma centre, a lot visual novel. "Flower, Sun and Rain" is an old Suda 51 game - it's third person, but otherwise perfectly fits the baffling/unsettling mystery genre. Hotel Dusk and Another Code are quite well known mystery/puzzle games, both short and with the former much better regarded than the latter. And, y'know the entire Phoenix Wright series, which is near-essential if you're into this stuff..

The Hotel Dusk team also put out Again earlier this year.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Again looks terrible, though. I don't know why they thought live action was something worth revisiting.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    It wasn't horrible, but definitely not as good as Hotel Dusk.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    JesuitsJesuits Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Finally finished the true ending. Jesus, that was great. Time to go back and read all those spoilers!

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Again looks terrible, though. I don't know why they thought live action was something worth revisiting.

Probably had to do more with fiancial reasons than aesthetic ones.

http://www.gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=139126

The process of drawing the characters looks pretty damn time and money consuming.

EVOL on
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Last Window, the sequel to Hotel Dusk

WAIT WHAT

Green on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Only in the UK.

Wow, this game dropped the F-bomb. O_o Gotta be a DS first.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    So here's a thought for those who have explored all of the game's nooks and crannies...

As word of mouth on this game spreads (I should be writing my review for Snackbar today for publication on the 7th), more people will hopefully pick it up.

What do you suppose the likelihood of a raw rookie choosing the path(s)
    5, 8, 6 or 4, 7, 1

becomes?
    Actually, I went into the game knowing nothing about paths and such and on my first playthrough I chose
    4, 7, 1

I gave Clover the bookmark, except I didn't talk to Seven about ICE-9 because I was thinking that spreading the idea of it could cause a global meltdown.

WHOOPS ENDING 3

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Green wrote: »
    Last Window, the sequel to Hotel Dusk

WAIT WHAT

Yeah, it's pretty great! But since it was UK only nobody on the forum cared and it basically died out quickly.

You can import it really easily and play it on any DS. I got mine from here.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    B:L wrote: »
    So here's a thought for those who have explored all of the game's nooks and crannies...

As word of mouth on this game spreads (I should be writing my review for Snackbar today for publication on the 7th), more people will hopefully pick it up.

5, 8, 6 or 4, 7, 1

becomes?
    Actually, I went into the game knowing nothing about paths and such and on my first playthrough I chose
    4, 7, 1

I gave Clover the bookmark, except I didn't talk to Seven about ICE-9 because I was thinking that spreading the idea of it could cause a global meltdown.

WHOOPS ENDING 3

See? SEE? It's happening... ;)

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Not sure how I could ever play this anywhere but home. You could spend an hour just in a single scene. Making steady progress, though. As long as I don't have to do much math. :P

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Not sure how I could ever play this anywhere but home. You could spend an hour just in a single scene. Making steady progress, though. As long as I don't have to do much math. :P

So does it support Phoenix Wright-style "save at any point"? It's not a huge concern, given the DS's sleep mode, but I'm much more likely to play it if I can do so in 1/2 hour bursts on the train.

Bioptic on
  • Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Bioptic wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »

So does it support Phoenix Wright-style "save at any point"? It's not a huge concern, given the DS's sleep mode, but I'm much more likely to play it if I can do so in 1/2 hour bursts on the train.

Yep!

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    edited December 2010

5, 8, 6 or 4, 7, 1

becomes?
    4, 7, 1

WHOOPS ENDING 3

See? SEE? It's happening... ;)
    Well it worked out in the end, it seems. I avoided the following ending:
    Ending 2, where it follows the true path except you get TO BE CONTINUED'd at the altar room because you need ending 5 to get the true end that unlocks the symbol for ending 2 anyways if you don't have it.

ffffff managed to dodge that time-wasting bullet...into an axe.

I'll just leave these here. (spoilers)

14535388m.png14536676m.png

• Options
    edited December 2010
    I got all endings but the True (1 &2), half-way there now and I'm going to sit in my car at lunch and beat this sucker. However based on the Coffin ending I have a feeling I may be taking a 2 hour lunch today....

Thoughts so far:
    I think it's fair to say the writing on the bottom screen is good in that the imagery is very evocative. The dialogue so far has been pretty standard for what I would read in a manga. The plot has kept me intrigued and I'm excited to see the true ending.
    The main thing I would criticize about the writing is the nonchalant conversations the characters have in the middle of the escape sequences. Though I'm starting to understand why these seemingly random facts are important to the over all story it does betray the sense of urgency in trying to escape the boat within a time limit.

Except for one math puzzle (cargo) I thought the actual escape sequences were easier than I was expecting. Not dissapointed because I don't mind casual challenges and really it's the story that's the focus of the game

They might do this in other parts of the country (world) but I would suggest if you are ever in Vegas do the "Mystery Tour". It's done in groups, you are carted around to a couple of locations (small office buildings mostly) and you have to explore the spaces and solve puzzles to piece together a mystery. It totally makes you feel like you are playing a real life adventure game.

InitialDK on
    -Louis C.K.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    InitialDK wrote: »
    I got all endings but the True (1 &2), half-way there now and I'm going to sit in my car at lunch and beat this sucker. However based on the Coffin ending I have a feeling I may be taking a 2 hour lunch today....

This might not be a good idea, it might end up a 3 to 5 hour lunch.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

Yeah, the true end is about half the length of the rest of the game.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    However based on the Coffin ending I have a feeling I may be taking a 2 hour lunch today....

Yeah, the true end is about half the length of the rest of the game.
    Damn, guess I'll just have to start it and blue-ball my way through the rest of work today.

Update: I ended up taking the full 2 hours and had to stop right after
    Snake's "Q&A" and opening the door in the library
    . When I get home I usually help my wife cook dinner but we may have to postpone it this evening...

InitialDK on
    -Louis C.K.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Math making my head hurt. :( After... uh, the third sequence of rooms; the giant room.
    I assume somehow Snake put the parts back then vanished, but that's unlikely... and he couldn't have gone through one of the numbered rooms alone either.

How would 3, 3, and 1 be possible, anyway? It's 3-5 for each door.

I guess it'll make sense later, maybe.

This game easily beats EO as 'game most capable of devouring free time'.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    For the record, regarding the theories last page:
    I got the game later than most people (around 12/7) and my first time through the game, without reading anything about it beforehand, I did everything that would have gotten me the true ending if I had already gotten the Safe ending.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    So glad I went with #7. (I couldn't bring myself to do #3 and go through everything again.)
    "I'd think a big guy like you would have more balls than that."
    "Say that one more time."
    "YOU. HAVE. NO. B-
    "You f-cking brat!"

This game sure puts the M to the test.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Winky wrote: »
    Green wrote: »
    Still fairly early into the game but so far I really like it

Though the bit I just read seems really stupid
    "If Zero wasn't on this ship, then he wouldn't call it it 'this ship'"
    "That makes perfect sense!"

NO IT FUCKING DOESN'T
    Well, it is logical based on the wording, but yeah, ultimately there is no reason to assume that. It could easily be an attempt to mislead.
    I'm just going to chalk it up to making more sense in Japanese.
    This is exactly the case. "Here" (where I am), "there" (where you are) and "over there" (away from both speaker and listener) is inherent in the language. Speaking of twist with the language
    I think they did a great job localizing the game but dropped the ball big time with the Q/9 correlation. It makes sense written down but not spoken aloud. Not to say it's not challenging and I don't know if it could ever have the same impact in another language. One idea would have been to somehow talk around it without directly mentioning 9 or Q, like "Seek the door which bears the symbol of this game." something like that. Not great but makes more sense in context.

Finally saw the end last night, took me all evening between house duties and fastforwarding through the VGAs. I knew bizarre shit was going to go down but I did not see that coming...
    My favorite line of the game went something like
    "She recreated the history of the future"
    (paraphrazed). I got up and showed my wife because that pretty much sums up WTF was happening.

True Ending question:
    There definitely was wonky Back to the Future logic going on with the time manipulation. I'm still a little confused about Akane's presence in the modern game and sudden dissapearance. Was that supposed to be psychic-time-magic or did she slip away so that the final event could happen without Junpei being distracted? Maybe I'm thinking too hard and the game isn't meant to be analyzed that critically, especially because of the special guest at the end.

Did anyone else look up all the crazy history and psuedo-science every time it came up to see how real it was?

InitialDK on
    -Louis C.K.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Did anyone else look up all the crazy history and psuedo-science every time it came up to see how real it was?

No, but now I have a new appreciation for this spell from 8-Bit Theater.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Speaking of twist with the language
    I think they did a great job localizing the game but dropped the ball big time with the Q/9 correlation. It makes sense written down but not spoken aloud. Not to say it's not challenging and I don't know if it could ever have the same impact in another language. One idea would have been to somehow talk around it without directly mentioning 9 or Q, like "Seek the door which bears the symbol of this game." something like that. Not great but makes more sense in context.
    Aksys did talk about that being a bump in the localization process.

(spoilers)
    In Japan it was spoken over the loudspeaker, "kyuu" sounds like both 9 and Q.

Obviously they couldn't do the same here, so instead of mentioning it out loud with the loudspeaker, they changed it so that it was text they had to read, because q and 9 do look the same. It's the best they could do and it works well enough.

• Options
    edited December 2010
    But apparently
    they couldn't change the flashback image of the loudspeaker to an image of a piece of paper, that would've reminded the player it was text and not spoken.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Pretty sure it was still spoken over the loudspeaker before the first doors...

EDIT: Although I guess I only read that the one time.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Speaking of twist with the language
    Aksys did talk about that being a bump in the localization process.

(spoilers)
    In Japan it was spoken over the loudspeaker, "kyuu" sounds like both 9 and Q.

Obviously they couldn't do the same here, so instead of mentioning it out loud with the loudspeaker, they changed it so that it was text they had to read, because q and 9 do look the same. It's the best they could do and it works well enough.
    Oh, so was that the part where the speaker was telling them they had instructions in their pockets? I guess I forgot that because in the flashback it had a picture of the speaker (not to mention it was weird that they would have all this paper in their pockets and not one of them would notice). If that's what they did then I take back what I said because that is a decent solution.

Now I'm wondering what other awesome connections we may have missed out on due to translation issues.

InitialDK on
    -Louis C.K.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Now I'm wondering what other awesome connections we may have missed out on due to translation issues.
    The very first puzzle:

(endgame spoilers)
    Instead of squares and triangles, they were supposed to be katakana for "Aoi" and "Aka". I have no idea how that puzzle was supposed to work out, but those two names are obviously important.

Aksys made several posts about lost in translation issues, but the only things really lost are similar to the stuff that Phoenix Wright lost from localization.

• Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Okay, just got the true end. Spoilers!
    So, uh.. were they just going for a sense of humor at the end there, with Alice? HA HA HA IT'S FUNNY GUYS SHE WAS THERE ALL ALONG but then who was phone

Who would have been the murderer in the knife ending?

Where did Santa go after dragging Ace off? He put him in the trunk, but then..? i just can't think about all this it's too much

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Kaseius wrote: »
    Okay, just got the true end. Spoilers!
    So, uh.. were they just going for a sense of humor at the end there, with Alice? HA HA HA IT'S FUNNY GUYS SHE WAS THERE ALL ALONG but then who was phone

Who would have been the murderer in the knife ending?

Where did Santa go after dragging Ace off? He put him in the trunk, but then..? i just can't think about all this it's too much
    Congratulations!
    Congratulations!
    That's enough Evangelion for one post.

Actual spoilers:
    Alice at the end could be a joke and/or she could have been involved in the plotting with Akane, Aoi, and Seven. She was released over 9 years ago from her Ice-9 sleep, either before the first Nonary game or even during it if Ace never spotted her.

The knife murderer has a very high probability of being Ace, given that Lotus' bracelet is gone. Remember, Ace pulled Lotus away during the axe ending as well, probably to off her then too. This is because her bracelet is what he needs.
    1+8 = 9. He also has the 9 bracelet so 1+8+9=18 with a digital root of 9, to pass the final door as he assumes.

Santa tossed Ace in the trunk for the gang to turn in, then drove off with Akane to who knows where. The rest of the Scooby gang were following their tracks when they came across Alice.