As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Muslims vs america [national burn the quaran day] cancelled by the pastor]

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Sooo... we've got some elections coming up in a month. And what's a cheap way to get exposure in the media? By making it seem you're the only thing holding back a tidal wave of ISLAM from crashing down on the wee CHILDREN.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39311882/ns/us_news-education/

You can read the actual resolution (linked within the MSNBC article) and it's not unreasonable if their stats are true, but the timing is too suspicious to ignore. Strong feelings of Islamophobia are floating around the country right now and it's sad to see elected officials use that to their advantage.

Those morons again?

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I started reading that article and I just could barely get past the first paragraph, can anyone paraphrase that? I saw Texas in the title so I'm assuming it's something really retarded. Like how the paper used to make it is funded by an islamic company or something.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    bowen wrote: »
    I started reading that article and I just could barely get past the first paragraph, can anyone paraphrase that? I saw Texas in the title so I'm assuming it's something really retarded. Like how the paper used to make it is funded by an islamic company or something.

WAAAH THEYRE UNFAIR TO CHRISTIANS AND NOT MEAN ENOUGH TO MUSLIMS WAAAAAAAH

pretty much exactly that.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Sooo... we've got some elections coming up in a month. And what's a cheap way to get exposure in the media? By making it seem you're the only thing holding back a tidal wave of ISLAM from crashing down on the wee CHILDREN.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39311882/ns/us_news-education/

You can read the actual resolution (linked within the MSNBC article) and it's not unreasonable if their stats are true, but the timing is too suspicious to ignore. Strong feelings of Islamophobia are floating around the country right now and it's sad to see elected officials use that to their advantage.
    http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/msnbc/sections/news/Islam_Resolution_Brief_LH.pdf
    Turns out you can use out of context shit to make anything look bad.
    It described Crusaders' massacres of European Jews but not the Muslim Tamerlane’s massacre of perhaps 90,000 fellow Muslims at Baghdad in 1401, and of perhaps 100,000 Indian POWs at Delhi in 1398.
    That doesn't make sense. Once is an example of anti-Semitism stirred up by the crusades. The other is an example of people just murdering each other as usual.

Couscous on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

... well, the article does mention Dubai's royal family has recently bought a minority stake in in two textbook publishers ...

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Like... do they beat them or something special. I glossed over it but I didn't really see what was the problem ultimately. Just Texas. Bias in textbooks, are you fucking serious? Like, are they medieval Europe text books that discuss the moving of Rome's capital as biased because, lawl fuck Islam?

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Like... do they beat them or something special. I glossed over it but I didn't really see what was the problem ultimately. Just Texas. Bias in textbooks, are you fucking serious? Like, are they medieval Europe text books that discuss the moving of Rome's capital as biased because, lawl fuck Islam?

I'm thinking it's more along the lines of covering the crusades but not inserting a line at the end of the chapter that reads "But when you think about it, Islam was totally asking for it."

Taramoor on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

The textbooks inform students that if they accept in their hearts that Muhammad is the last prophet of God, they will get an automatic A+.

... read the damn article, bowen. :P

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I can't, it is physically painful.

I mean this is the same Texas that thinks Darwinism means their kids go to hell, so, I think I know where the Islam thing is going.

bowen on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    dwelled for 27 student text lines on Crusaders’ massacre of Muslims at Jerusalem in 1099 while censoring Muslims’ massacres of Christians there in 1244 and at Antioch in 1268.
    The siege of Jerusalem does appear to be very important. Antioch doesn't appear to be indicative of any great anti-Christian feeling that existed among Muslims as a result of the crusades.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Antioch_%281268%29
    Baibars reneged on this pledge; as soon as his troops were within the gates, Baibars ordered the gates shut and brutally massacred everyone in the city. It is thought that 17,000 Christians were massacred and another 100,000 enslaved.[3] Afterward, lamenting that Antioch's ruler had not been present either for the siege or the ransacking and murder, Baibars secretary (who was also his biographer) wrote a detailed letter describing exactly what had been done to the people and the city[4]:

'Death came among the besieged from all sides and by all roads : we killed all that thou hadst appointed to guard the city or defend its approaches. If thou hadst seen thy knights trampled under the feet of the horses, thy provinces given up to pillage, thy riches distributed by measures full, the wives of thy subjects put to public sale ; if thou hadst seen the pulpits and crosses overturned, the leaves of the Gospel torn and cast to the winds, and the sepulchres of thy patriarchs profaned ; if thou hadst seen thy enemies, the Mussulmans trampling upon the tabernacle, and immolating in the sanctuary, monk, priest and deacon ; in short, if thou hadst seen thy palaces given up to the flames, the dead devoured by the fire of this world, the Church of St Paul and that of St Peter completely and entirely destroyed, certes, thou wouldst have cried out "Would to Heaven that I were become dust!" '. (Michaud, 1853)

Couscous on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I read that article.

I got nothin'.

I'm just tired and tapped out of sarcasm and righteous indignation. This is all utter bullshit. I just get to thinking, if they want to argue this "Islamic Bias" thing, so they can replace it with the correct Christian bias they want everyone to learn, all power to them. Let them be ignorant asshats.

But then I remember that Texas controls the textbook market and the publishers, and then I'm a sad panda.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Corehealer wrote: »
    I read that article.

I got nothin'.

I'm just tired and tapped out of sarcasm and righteous indignation. This is all utter bullshit. I just get to thinking, if they want to argue this "Islamic Bias" thing, so they can replace it with the correct Christian bias they want everyone to learn, all power to them. Let them be ignorant asshats.

But then I remember that Texas controls the textbook market and the publishers, and then I'm a sad panda.

Everyday I get closer to seriously agreeing with Cenac:
    "As I listen to health care opponents talking about rising up and revolution I guess my one thought is - bring it on. Let's fucking do this. I'm kinda sick of their shit. We have guns too. If passing health care forces them to throw bricks through my window, then what does throwing bricks through my window force me to do to them? I mean, I don't wanna fight, but now I guess I kinda wanna do."

It won't solve anything, but I'll be damned if it won't feel good.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    SpacemilkSpacemilk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I tried to read that article and I couldn't even get past the picture accompanying it D:

that woman scares me something fierce

edit: Oh but this line is beautiful:
    The Texas Freedom Network, a liberal religion and education watchdog group, did a point-by-point analysis and rebuttal of the resolution, which it described as “ill considered” and “filled with superficial, misleading and half-baked claims designed simply to promote fear and religious prejudice.”
    half-baked

I love it!

Spacemilk on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Spacemilk wrote: »
    I tried to read that article and I couldn't even get past the picture accompanying it D:

that woman scares me something fierce

edit: Oh but this line is beautiful:
    The Texas Freedom Network, a liberal religion and education watchdog group, did a point-by-point analysis and rebuttal of the resolution, which it described as “ill considered” and “filled with superficial, misleading and half-baked claims designed simply to promote fear and religious prejudice.”
    half-baked

I love it!

As if reason and logic had any sway over these people.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    starkillerstarkiller Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    1.) Ideas have consequences. Religion is "ideas" writ large. Religion has consequences and can be a directly linked to action. Religions can be judged by their ideas and aren't just the same. People who say this are woefully ignorant. This is why freedom of religion is given as the first right in our constitution. We wanted the free interchange of important ideas. Press comes in second.

2.) The Crusades are one of the most misunderstood pieces of history in existence. We feel guilty about them because of a Christian ideological bias. That is, we view pillage as morally wrong because of our latent Westernized and very Christian philosophy. I feel that guilt is good, but it has led us to look at what is mostly a defensive war in a really weird light.

For point of reference, dear old Alexandria in good 'ol Egypt was considered the center of Christian learning until a group of raping and pillaging nomads put it to the torch. Unfortunately said raping and pillaging nomads still haven't moved out. Alexandria has never been the same. Not to mention the siege of Vienna and the conquest of Italy (how quickly forgotten).

3.) The OP is a nonsensical illogical and poorly written mess. It is functionally incoherent. Since it says that A must be restricted because A is free with a few choice profanities thrown in for emphasis. Sir, if you have received a rank above Seaman First Class our military has done you and our country a grave injustice.

4.) I take delight in the "enlightened" non bigoted masses claiming that Texas shouldn't be listened to...because its Texas. This places such folks in the same logical trap as is mentioned in (3). Note, I am not a Texan or even a southerner. I just find such regional slurs banal when they aren't rooted in some sort of logical argument. God save us from the "enlightened".

starkiller on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Regions form and are formed by cultures. Cultures form and formed by ideas. Ideas have meaning. Regions can be judged by their ideas and aren't just the same. People who say this are woefully ignorant.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    starkillerstarkiller Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Regions form and are formed by cultures. Cultures form and formed by ideas. Ideas have meaning. Regions can be judged by their ideas and aren't just the same. People who say this are woefully ignorant.

Which I disagree with not a whit. When it is reflexive instead of reflective I have a problem with it. Given contributions of the South and Texas I can't see it as much of anything except reflexive. Note: "when they aren't rooted in some sort of logical argument".

starkiller on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    starkiller wrote: »
    Incenjucar wrote: »

Which I disagree with not a whit. When it is reflexive instead of reflective I have a problem with it. Given contributions of the South and Texas I can't see it as much of anything except reflexive.

With the exception of a few people like nstf, I gather that most of us don't care about religion as long as people keep it out of government and don't use it as an excuse to hate.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Who the fuck feels guilty about the crusades? O_o

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Capt Howdy wrote: »

Roman Catholics I guess.

bowen on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Roman Catholics I guess.

That would bea good thread starter; Should "we" feel guilty about shit that didn't involve us and took place long before we were born.

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Guilty, no. Cognizant of how it's viewed in parts of the world we'd like to not hate us? Yes.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Guilty, no. Cognizant of how it's viewed in parts of the world we'd like to not hate us? Yes.

Meh.

bowen on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Meh.

This is mostly so you don't refer to the war you're starting in the Middle East as a crusade like a dumbfuck moron.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

If a group of people can't seperate me from a group of folks from a different country and religion who did shit they didn't like a long long long time ago; then I'm probably not the one with the problem and they should seek some serious professional help.

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Meh.

This is mostly so you don't refer to the war you're starting in the Middle East as a crusade like a dumbfuck moron.

How about Crusadocaust?

bowen on
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    starkiller wrote: »
    2.) The Crusades are one of the most misunderstood pieces of history in existence. We feel guilty about them because of a Christian ideological bias. That is, we view pillage as morally wrong because of our latent Westernized and very Christian philosophy. I feel that guilt is good, but it has led us to look at what is mostly a defensive war in a really weird light.

For point of reference, dear old Alexandria in good 'ol Egypt was considered the center of Christian learning until a group of raping and pillaging nomads put it to the torch. Unfortunately said raping and pillaging nomads still haven't moved out. Alexandria has never been the same. Not to mention the siege of Vienna and the conquest of Italy (how quickly forgotten).

what

I can't even---

ow

owwwww

so much historical inaccuracy that I can't even begin to think about what to touch on first.

First of all, Crusades as a "mostly defensive" conflict? We are talking about the religiously sanctioned and ordered offensive military campaigns towards the Muslim states in the Holy Land? You do realize what the word "crusade" means, right?

Alexandria as a center of Christian learning and somehow Muslims putting it to the torch and causing it's decline, when the Romans and Christians had already done it several times and hundreds of years before?

Siege of Vienna? The one that happened in 1529? What the hell does the expansion of Ottoman Empire five hundred years ago has to do with anything? Are you trying to claim that it was the only offensively expanding power of it's era? You realize that the successor state to that same empire is the West's ally right now?

Conquest of Italy? What conquest? The Roman? The one caused by tribal migrations? It's defeat in WWII? What the fuck are you talking about?
    3.) The OP is a nonsensical illogical and poorly written mess. It is functionally incoherent. Since it says that A must be restricted because A is free with a few choice profanities thrown in for emphasis. Sir, if you have received a rank above Seaman First Class our military has done you and our country a grave injustice.

Pot, I have a very interesting kettle for you to meet, she's black, you don't mind that, right?

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

If a group of people can't seperate me from a group of folks from a different country and religion who did shit they didn't like a long long long time ago; then I'm probably not the one with the problem and they should seek some serious professional help.

You know how there's a word that's banned on this forum? You know, from on high? Khoo-dictated?

Historical context is important.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

Roman Catholics I guess.

Roman Catholics feel guilty about everything.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Isn't that what we're doing in regards to the Middle East now?

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    edited September 2010

You know how there's a word that's banned on this forum? You know, from on high? Khoo-dictated?

Long Long Long time ago. Very key to this context.

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

You do realize that it's part of what they consider a long history of invasions and occupations by the west, right?

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Siege of Vienna? The one that happened in 1529? What the hell does the expansion of Ottoman Empire five hundred years ago has to do with anything? Are you trying to claim that it was the only offensively expanding power of it's era? You realize that the successor state to that same empire is the West's ally right now?
    It also isn't like the Ottoman empire was looked fondly on by most of the Muslim countries that were formed after its death.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_Revolt

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

You do realize that it's part of what they consider a long history of invasions and occupations by the west, right?

Sorry, I didn't realize America has been around that long. Or that we've given them any attention outside of the last, what, 20 years.

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Deebaser wrote: »

Roman Catholics I guess.

Roman Catholics feel guilty about everything.

I am reminded of the Family Episode with the poop-pure-concentrated-evil book. Touche good sir.

:^:

bowen on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Sorry, I didn't realize America has been around that long. Or that we've given them any attention outside of the last, what, 20 years.
    Perhaps you missed the part about "The West".

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010

I caught it. Still don't see what the crusades have to do with America.

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

We're part of the west.

I don't really see what is hard to understand about this.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010

We're part of the west.

So America took part in the Crusades then? Hopefully Texas remembers to add that to their new approved verisons of the history books.

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

We're part of the west.

So America took part in the Crusades then? Hopefully Texas remembers to add that to their new approved verisons of the history books.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg