As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[CoH/V] i10 - This Is Our, Independence Day

• Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hey guys, I've been looking at CoH/CoV for a while now and after a recent bite from the superhero bug (and the added income that is an actual job) I've been thinking of getting the game. I've got some questions, though.

Compared to WoW.. is it um.. as.. boring? I find WoW very bland, slow and uninteresting, though I don't mind the structure (instances, battlegrounds, etc).

Does it take a long time to become useful? I obviously don't like being a weak newbie but at the same time I don't think I'll have the ability to constantly be grinding for levels and 'phat l00t'. That's another WoW turnoff.

The part that's really bothering me is the monthly fee though, so I guess I'll put this one as simply as I can. Is it worth it? I'm very hesitant about spending which is why I've pretty much avoided MMOs no matter how cool they look, but I'm just really itching for a superhero game and from what I've seen, CoH/CoV looks pretty darn fun.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Reznik wrote: »
    Hey guys, I've been looking at CoH/CoV for a while now and after a recent bite from the superhero bug (and the added income that is an actual job) I've been thinking of getting the game. I've got some questions, though.

Compared to WoW.. is it um.. as.. boring? I find WoW very bland, slow and uninteresting, though I don't mind the structure (instances, battlegrounds, etc).

Does it take a long time to become useful? I obviously don't like being a weak newbie but at the same time I don't think I'll have the ability to constantly be grinding for levels and 'phat l00t'. That's another WoW turnoff.

The part that's really bothering me is the monthly fee though, so I guess I'll put this one as simply as I can. Is it worth it? I'm very hesitant about spending which is why I've pretty much avoided MMOs no matter how cool they look, but I'm just really itching for a superhero game and from what I've seen, CoH/CoV looks pretty darn fun.

You're asking a thread full of people who pay fifteen dollars a month to play this game if the game is worth fifteen dollars a month. :P

(yes CoH is worth it)

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Defiance is being looked at for pretty much one reason -- Blasters are the only AT who in all combinations perform below expectations in PvE. Whatever the final form of the change is, the end goal is to increase the overall performance of the AT. In this case, that pretty much means reducing the average debt that Blasters get, since that is one of the key areas bringing down their performance levels.

Whoa. That most blaster sets underperform is no surprise to me, but to see a dev say it this clearly is surprising.

Part of it may be that the Blaster AT does attract a whole lot of idiots. But the fact that back in I5, Scrappers got a 15% or so buff to base damage surely made Blasters a whole let less attractive in the grand scheme of things.

When you have two damage focussed ATs, and one does not much less damage then the other, has mez protection, shit loads of HP, and in some cases can be damn near unkillable, there aren't a lot of min/max reasons to choose a blaster.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Corvus wrote: »
    Defiance is being looked at for pretty much one reason -- Blasters are the only AT who in all combinations perform below expectations in PvE. Whatever the final form of the change is, the end goal is to increase the overall performance of the AT. In this case, that pretty much means reducing the average debt that Blasters get, since that is one of the key areas bringing down their performance levels.

Whoa. That most blaster sets underperform is no surprise to me, but to see a dev say it this clearly is surprising.

Part of it may be that the Blaster AT does attract a whole lot of idiots. But the fact that back in I5, Scrappers got a 15% or so buff to base damage surely made Blasters a whole let less attractive in the grand scheme of things.

When you have two damage focussed ATs, and one does not much less damage then the other, has mez protection, shit loads of HP, and in some cases can be damn near unkillable, there aren't a lot of min/max reasons to choose a blaster.

Hahaha, everyone has known that Blasters needed help forever. I was an Eng/Eng blaster when I played, and when the Scrappers got their damage boost, even the Energy Torrent they got did more base damage than mine did :V

I remember the huge shitfest that was when they said they'd look at Blasters and then they gave us Defiance

Lemming on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So, I stopped playing this game for a while, and I kind of feel like starting again.

Would anyone be able to give me a trial key?

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Zeromus wrote: »
    So, I stopped playing this game for a while, and I kind of feel like starting again.

Would anyone be able to give me a trial key?

Send me your e-mail.
    Reznik wrote: »

CoX is a very very fast paced game. As long as you don't insist on soloing and especially if you join PA teams you will have a fantastic time.

You are useful enough from even level 10 in this game. At 12 you get DOs(better enhancments for your powers) and at 22 you get SOs(which are as good as it gets besides some invention sets). One thing to keep in mind is that CoX has little to no real endgame..the whole idea is to enjoy the leveling experience and not just hoof it to the top to get on raids and such. And as for "phat l00t" it doesn't really exist in the game. You ehance your powers with enhancments you can buy from the store(we have money pouring out of our asses so don't hesitate to ask)and the recent addition of invetion enhancments(the closest thing CoX has to loot) doesn't even make a difference because they are not a necessity and you only have to invest in them if you want to. CoX is as pick up and play as MMOs come.

CoX also has what is called a sidekick system. This means that if you are level 12 and we have a 30ish team running one of the 30s can simply sidekick you and you will be scaled up to level 29. There is also the reverse of this where a person can be scaled down to help a newbie or something.

About the monthly fee, this is what I suggest. Get a trial from me(send me your e-mail)..download the game..play it for 10 days..if you REALLY REALLY hate it then quit(but if you play with PA you won't trust me)..if you think you need to get a bit higher to give it a chance then go buy the good vs evil edition of the game. It costs 30 dollars and has a free month so as most you waste 15 dollars. I am telling you now though, if you give it a proper chance and team up with us on our server you will be hooked for a very long time.

I would suggest looking at the squadron thread. It is our current theme team fixation(in the style of green lantern) and would be a good way to be on a kickass team. If you don't want to make a squadron guy you could probably just join our squadron guys on whoever you make anyway. Also check out the team night and scheme night threads for guaranteed weekly teaming.

If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    XzeanXzean Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Just a quick question, I used to be big into CoV but quit it to play WoW again a while back. Now WoW is making me faintly ill every time I log in so i'm thinking about going back but the part I didn't like about CoV was not knowing anyone. Here is the actual question: Do a lot of PAers play CoV as opposed to CoH? I just dig being a villain a lot more then a hero.

Xzean on
    9df14c6e1e43475d.png
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    From what I've seen most of the actual activity is on the Hero side, however the Penny Arcade channel is a global thing that is connected through all servers, Heroes and Villains. I think pretty much everyone has at least one Villain so simply saying "hay guyz who wants to be evil with me?" should net you some people to team with.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Arthil wrote:
    From what I've seen most of the actual activity is on the Hero side, however the Penny Arcade channel is a global thing that is connected through all servers, Heroes and Villains. I think pretty much everyone has at least one Villain so simply saying "hay guyz who wants to be evil with me?" should net you some people to team with.

Even if it doesn't, the nice thing about the global chat servers is that you can still chat with your supergroup buddies despite not being teamed with them, or being on the other side of the conflict.

Operative21 on
  • Options
    suttbeckssuttbecks Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Gaahhhhhd I want to play this again so bad, but it runs so slow on my measly 512 MB of Ram.

suttbecks on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The biggest thing I've noticed, and it somewhat worries me if the rest of the game is like this, is that grouping up in missions seems like the simplest brawling game. Everyone runs around attacking targets, I've seen no attempts so far to really focus fire, and people are getting all clustered up in these little rooms. As of now, it seems to have zero strategy, but it is fun.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Have the tanking powers changed much? When I was playing it was very easy to use Taunt and then not lose aggro at all. Just remember to taunt once or twice, and the mobs would all be focusing on me while my teammates tore them apart. Are things pretty much like that still?

Seg on
  • Options
    drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Was there Gauntlet around when you played? Taunt is now capped at five targets, so keeping up the damage and using Gauntlet is now about as powerful a tool as Taunt.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    No Gauntlet I had stopped playing while CoV was still in beta. But I do remember the cap on how many you could taunt being reduced, I don't remember whether or not my wife and I played after that change or while it was still on Test.

Seg on
  • Options
    BitstreamBitstream Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Septus wrote: »
    The biggest thing I've noticed, and it somewhat worries me if the rest of the game is like this, is that grouping up in missions seems like the simplest brawling game. Everyone runs around attacking targets, I've seen no attempts so far to really focus fire, and people are getting all clustered up in these little rooms. As of now, it seems to have zero strategy, but it is fun.

It really depends on the types of heroes/villains on your team, and the experience of the players. An experienced team will keep mobs clustered together for AoE effects, cut down on the knockback powers, and might even keep the poor sod with Rad Infection alive until the end. Yeah, a lot of the teams you see (i.e PUGs) are throwing guys down hallways and blasting willy-nilly, but a good team is like a well-oiled machine in this game. Come along with a Team Uber run sometime, and you'll see actual teamwork.

Bitstream on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I dunno what you're running, Septus, but it really depends on your perspective. I imagine, if someone were to watch Team Uber steamroll through a mission, it'd look like it's just insanely easy. In fact, it's more along the lines of, people know their assigned roles, and seeing as there's more fluidity to the aggro management than in other MMO games, coupled with less downtime, the strategy is more fluid. Defenders can buff all the time, during a fight or not, especially with so many PBAOEs around. Tanks can run in and grab aggro on most mobs and be relatively sure they can survive for a little while everyone else gets ready. And return fire on a blaster doesn't mean instant death--aggro can be switched long enough for them to survive.

I've had some very precise moments in CoH, and I've had nights of Allegory Steamroll Cha-Cha. It just depends on the team composition and what particular enemy you're fighting.

I'll tell you this: you can't be too careful with low-level Vahz missions, even to this day.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Vahz cause nightmares

especially when you get a few people on your team, and the ones wearing the all black outfits are mixed in with the acid vomit guys

it can be a horrible horrible nightmare

Seg on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I think there's a scale that goes

Bad Team: People all doing their own thing, and dying
    Okay Team: People listening to the leader/tank and doing what they're told
    Great Team: People all doing their own thing, and kicking ass

I like PA teams cause I don't have to tell people what to do. I know that I'm going to be healed when I need it, I know that the bosses are going to be debuffed, I know no one is going to go aggro an entire room by themselves. I actually kinda hate getting into 'Okay' pug teams, because often they end up being far too cautious (at least compared to PA teams) and moving irritatingly slow.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Well, no one gave any directions in the teams I was in, and yet everything still went fine. I guess things are just easy enough at this level.

Septus on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Things generally are pretty easy.

I think the #1 team wiper is a team (or team leader) overestimating themselves. You've got a team of 7 20-21s, the leader invites a 24, then sets the 24's mission. On Invincible. Yea, that's gonna fuck you up. At low levels the range of forgiveness can be just like 1-2 levels, but by the time you're 50 it can be impossible to set things higher than you can handle. For ex, my stone tank can tank at least +7s. There's nothing in the game higher than +4 to him. A team full of guys like that is pretty guaranteed to steamroll.

Scooter on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Scooter wrote: »

I like PA teams cause I don't have to tell people what to do. I know that I'm going to be healed when I need it, I know that the bosses are going to be debuffed, I know no one is going to go aggro an entire room by themselves. I actually kinda hate getting into 'Okay' pug teams, because often they end up being far too cautious (at least compared to PA teams) and moving irritatingly slow.

"Slam don't fall into the pit of doom."
    10 seconds later: "Shit. I fell into the pit of doom."
    Septus, pit of doom is the most annoying room in a map. It's in the cave map, and it's literally a huge, circular room with about 5 levels to it. It's a real bitch to clear out when you have to kill everyone.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Wiggin wrote: »

"Slam don't fall into the pit of doom."
    10 seconds later: "Shit. I fell into the pit of doom."
    Septus, pit of doom is the most annoying room in a map. It's in the cave map, and it's literally a huge, circular room with about 5 levels to it. It's a real bitch to clear out when you have to kill everyone.

The first time I saw that room, back in CoH beta, I didn't see the ramps around the sides. I thought you had to get up by hopping off the wooden beams in the center. Took me forever...I ended up /bugging the room saying it was too much like a action/platformer room for an MMO.

Hell, for all I know maybe there weren't ramps at the time.

My favorite Doom Room though is the tech lab one, where you have to go up to the platform that puts you into the aggro range of 2-4 different spawns.

Scooter on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Never done that one. I've done the map once or twice with you guys, but never that room.
    God I hate the Pit. Hate it hate it hate it.
    20 minutes to find that one guy. Twenty fucking minutes

Me Too! on
  • Options
    LepwaveLepwave Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Yeah, PuGs in general moves to slow for my liking, though I blame harsh for introducing the PuGs that take 10 minute breaks inbetween EACH mission.

Lepwave on
    XBL/CoX tags - Lepwave/@Lepwave
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    PuGs also tend to last for a whopping 2 missions and then fizzle out. Long live PA teams.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Play villaaaiiinnsss.

/whine.

Septus on
  • Options
    CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    NO IM NOT GOING TO COME BACK TO PLAY COH/V! I HAVE A LIFE NOW! I DO THING. THINGS OUTCITY OF PARAGON CITY

IM NOT COMING BACK

But it looks so fun...

CangoFett on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I wonder if my wife will ever be interested in playing CoH again.

We had a lot of fun playing it, but right now she gets to play her dream character in WoW. (Caster that uses a Staff and can change shapes. She really likes playing her Druid.) Maybe after we hit 70.

Seg on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    CangoFett wrote: »
    NO IM NOT GOING TO COME BACK TO PLAY COH/V! I HAVE A LIFE NOW! I DO THING. THINGS OUTCITY OF PARAGON CITY

IM NOT COMING BACK

But it looks so fun...
    You know you want to join Squadron.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    My favorite Doom Room though is the tech lab one, where you have to go up to the platform that puts you into the aggro range of 2-4 different spawns.

Like when Regen scrappers were gods and Vegar sleepily kept kicking ass into the next room while we died in droves on the first level of that room?

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I think my favorite doom room doesn't really count since it is part of a Trial. The Cavern of Transcendence.
    For those who haven't done it you are in a cave that has one big, big room and eight or nine hallways that lead to smaller rooms. The floor isn't exactly solid, though, so you have to jump from platform to platform. If you miss you are standing in freaking lava that burns away your HPs. To add to the trouble there is no map, it is a lvl 15ish Trial, and a different member of the team has to be down each hallway to all activate a clicky at the same time.
    It is actually a really cool little Trial but the lack of the map makes it far less fun than it otherwise would be.

Accualt on
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    so i just reinstalled cov again but im having a problem. my mouse pointer won't show up at all in game, which makes things a little difficult. im getting a little warning at the bottom of the log in screen saying i have outdated drivers, which is false. any idea what i can do to fix this? can't play at all like this.

Angry on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    If you're using brand new drivers, maybe you might actually need to step back a bit. Or if they're not the latest, then step forward.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    It's a pretty common issue; check the official forums' tech subforum. It should be one of the first items on the Common Issues list.

Bitstream on
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    it's actually a vista problem and in the vista problems thread. fixed it right up albeit with one ugly ass cursor.

Angry on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Oh. Well then.

So I've been toying with dropping Leadership for Fighting on Bit, to conserve end and up my defense/resists. I finally went through with the respec tonight, and once I throw some IOs in there I'm totally kicking Gouka's ass in PvP.

Bitstream on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So the deal is you guys meet in the arena. Turn on all your toggles. /em slap each other, then turn around and walk forward for 10 steps. Stop, count to three, turn and shoot. Make sure you record it.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    :lol:

Bitstream on
  • Options
    LepwaveLepwave Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    We should a Arena event with PA one of these days.

Lepwave on
    XBL/CoX tags - Lepwave/@Lepwave
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So I am currently working and doing way too much school than is good for me. I need something I can play for 30 minutes here, 30 minutes there.

In MMOs I realize that this means soloing. Right now I am doing UO and it is ok because I can do stuff at my own speed.

But then I see this thread and you bastards remind me of how much I love this game. If I were to come back...Can I still solo as just about any class? I had a Stone/Stone tank that I loved and a Ice/Ice blaster. I love group playing but since my time limitations are fairly strict and I never know when I will find time to play, soloing is an important feature.

So. Could I solo all missions (just normal door stuff. Not TFs or what have you) as a Stone/Stone or Ice/Ice blaster?

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
This discussion has been closed.