Options

[CoH/V] i10 - This Is Our, Independence Day

• Options
    PbPb Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Are you sure about that last one? I'm pretty sure I got EBs solo on Invincible with Gehenna.

Pb on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I dont think it means that EB's never spawn, just that AV's doing turn into EB's. What would normally be an EB would still be an EB.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    PbPb Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Huh, I thought there'd be at least one AV in the Praet arc.

Pb on
  • Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Perhaps they changed the praet arc since it is AV after AV so that people wouldn't bitch. That is how it works however. For example..recently I spawned that carnie AV bitch that spawns in Madeleine Casey's mission solo.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    BitstreamBitstream Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hey guys, I don't know if it's been mentioned in these circles or not:

I was at CompUSA today, and as one of the locations set to shut down (they're closing about half of their stores) there was a 10-30% discount on everything. This includes PlayNC game cards, so if your local CompUSA is closing you may want to stock up on cheap game time.

Also, I really wish I could find a job. I need to be able to justify paying to play again.

Bitstream on
  • Options
    Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hey guys, I hear there adding in new shit to these games! A buddy of mine is in the CoH/V Issue 9 beta, and hes been playing around with the new IO system. I haven't had a real chance to check it out, but it sounds really cool.

Have you guys seen any of this yet?

Edit: Oh, I see that you have. Guess I'm kinda LTTP!
    I plan on reactivating my account when this hits live. WoW is starting to get annoying... maybe this new IO system will make me enjoy CoH/V some more.

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Should if your sig is any idication. Adding all that "Phat Lewt" and all.

Maybe now my earth/TA controller will have an attack besides the Sands of Mu soon.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Nocren wrote: »
    Should if your sig is any idication. Adding all that "Phat Lewt" and all.

Maybe now my earth/TA controller will have an attack besides the Sands of Mu soon.

Well, this game needed something like the IOs, there wasn't enough for you to work towards. You would roll on a character until you either hit the max, or got bored and roll a new one. The new Statesman Task Force sounds cool and I think they should add more stuff in like that. I like growing my character, and not just in his appearance. I played CoH/V when they came out though, so I don't know how much has changed.

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I wont spoil the surprise when you sign back up then

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I just renewed my account, I left after I5 or so...

I don't have City of Villains, yet. I'm holding off until I see if I'm really that interested in playing again. What am I missing during the meantime by not having it? Also, other than an improved dance club, PVP, and a couple of new zones, what's most changed since I left? I know they changed enhancements, but since my highest char is only 25, I don't see that as a big deal...

badpoet on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The only thing CoH needs CoV for is SG bases. I7 was basically a villian issue, so the main COH thing since I5 was enhancement diversification, police band/safeguard mishes, and the new Faultline.

Scooter on
  • Options
    drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So I now have a 360, and bought Crackdown along with it--cuz, hey, superjump.

And I started out thinking, "achievements? Ehhh, I won't go out of my way."

Until I realized that achievements are just another type of badge.

Roundabout way of saying it, but after getting all 1000 points in Crackdown, I might be itching to come back, especially if they hurry I9 up.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Pb wrote: »
    Huh, I thought there'd be at least one AV in the Praet arc.

I dont think AV's spawn at all with out a team.

Maybe because it would be next to impossible to solo..

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    They spawn solo on invincible.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    drhazard wrote: »
    So I now have a 360, and bought Crackdown along with it--cuz, hey, superjump.

And I started out thinking, "achievements? Ehhh, I won't go out of my way."

Until I realized that achievements are just another type of badge.

Roundabout way of saying it, but after getting all 1000 points in Crackdown, I might be itching to come back, especially if they hurry I9 up.

I'd have to say that the two achievements that I really deem as achievements are Sky High (or was it called Above it All?) and Base Jumper.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Okay, it's readily apparent that my laptop just can't hang with CoX anymore. I get into a big team and it starts turning into a slideshow.

So, I some advice on parts for a really cheap computer that can run CoX pretty well. Doesn't have to be great, just enough that I can set everything to at least medium and not have it lag on an 8 man team.

Snake Gandhi on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Well I don't know what you run on your laptop but my PC is an amd 2800+, 1gb of ram, and a radeon 9800 and I run on medium and still have a ton of lag especially with other people in my view or stupid things like recluses' statue. I also lag horribly on 8 man teams, especially villain side with the arachnos maps.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    HJFrewHJFrew WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Okay, it's readily apparent that my laptop just can't hang with CoX anymore. I get into a big team and it starts turning into a slideshow.

So, I some advice on parts for a really cheap computer that can run CoX pretty well. Doesn't have to be great, just enough that I can set everything to at least medium and not have it lag on an 8 man team.

Same with me. I downloaded the trial (getting full this week) and I can run CoV on absolute minimum settings only, and CoH on somewhat moderate settings (one below recommended) including bloom and DoF. Is this something to do with the trial or is it my computer?

Processor: AMD Athlon XP 2200+, ~1.8Ghz
    Memory: 640MP RAM
    Graphics Card: RADEON 9800 Pro

Edit: I guess it's my computer then from what Gear Girl said.

HJFrew on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I personally think bloom looks terrible and depth of field only looks good outside so I just turn them off.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Gear Girl wrote: »
    Well I don't know what you run on your laptop but my PC is an amd 2800+, 1gb of ram, and a radeon 9800 and I run on medium and still have a ton of lag especially with other people in my view or stupid things like recluses' statue. I also lag horribly on 8 man teams, especially villain side with the arachnos maps.
    My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 9200, and it's got a 1.8 gh Pentium M, 1 gig of Ram, and a ATI Radeon Mobility 9800.

Solo I'm fine, but like on Team nights when we charge a mob and the fx start flying it slows to a crawl.

I'v found a computer I can get for cheap, an AMD 3400+with 512MB RAM. It only has onboard nVidia 6150 graphics, but I can probably grab a cheap PCI express card and another stick or RAM. I'm just wondering how much of an improvement would it be?

Snake Gandhi on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I think the video card makes the biggest difference. Scooter seemed to have incredible improvment when he got a new one(that is what you got isnt it Scoot?). Also 2gb of ram helps sooooo much.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I play on a 2.0 M, 2gb ram, and a 7800GTX that's PCI-E, and 8 man teams it's a slideshow when powers fly. Oddly, I turned the res and all the settings all the way down to test, and in an 8 man team it still turned into a slideshow. At that point I honestly think it's either a CPU bottleneck or some other hardware issue on the mobo; because it's obviously not graphic related though on the face it seemed it was. It occurred to me that maybe it was sound, but I've turned sound off, disabled hardware sound in XP etc, and no avail. Sooo...really I don't know what to suggest.

Also, Arachnos base quests piss me off because there's nothing inherently "detailed" about them, but they run so poorly that it's frustrating. 8man team + arachnos = why bother?

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited March 2007
    What really sucks is that, before I quit, my laptop ran it fine. I had everything on medium, all the fancy stuff off, and never had any problems. 8 man teams where lag free and everything.

I though it might be my system, but since it seems everyone has the problem it might be changes in the code.

Snake Gandhi on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I think the video card makes the biggest difference. Scooter seemed to have incredible improvment when he got a new one(that is what you got isnt it Scoot?). Also 2gb of ram helps sooooo much.

I upgraded from a 128 MB GeForce FX 5200 to a 512 MB Geforce GS 7600, and 512 RAM to 1.5 gigs, and it made a huge difference from shitty to awesome. Cost like $300 altogether. Processor is Pentium 4 2.93 GHz.

Might want to note that Ati cards have a history of underperforming in CoX compared to Nvidia.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Scooter wrote: »

I upgraded from a 128 MB GeForce FX 5200 to a 512 MB Geforce GS 7600, and 512 RAM to 1.5 gigs, and it made a huge difference from shitty to awesome. Cost like $300 altogether. Processor is Pentium 4 2.93 GHz.

Might want to note that Ati cards have a history of underperforming in CoX compared to Nvidia.

Actually, from everything I could find on the CoX forums about it, the clear cut slideshow many people are experencing started around Dec, which I guess was I8? (Nov 28). Something in that patch changed something for a lot of people that seriously effected how things ran in teams. What was changed that caused such a drastic change for many people; I don't know. I do know that if I play on my old desktop (3.0g p4, radeon 1600x (upgraded from a 9800 that fried), 1gb ram) while overall the game runs signifigantly worse; it doesn't have the very defined frame rate issues in large teams.

I just can't figure out why. Logic would dictate graphics, but tests show that's not the problem.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    My Ice/Fire tanker has been hanging out in Faultline. Do to just random PuGs, I've ended up almost farming AVs there. If I'd known I would have 5 or so SO end reducers, I'd wouldn't have bothered to line up the prereqs to take stamina at 20.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    REEEEEESPEC!

(that's suppose to sound like that annoying soundbit on certain songs that are "remixed")

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    guruslothgurusloth Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Does anyone have, or know of someone who has, the new PhysX card on their computer? I heard that CoX is supporting this card and perhaps having one might improve the framerate.

gurusloth on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I'm pretty sure it'd be a waste of a couple hundred bucks.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    gurusloth wrote: »
    Does anyone have, or know of someone who has, the new PhysX card on their computer? I heard that CoX is supporting this card and perhaps having one might improve the framerate.

http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=2828

Their conclusion pretty much sums it up. Looking at the scores would leave one to believe that the PhysX card gives a considerable increase to performance; however if you just turn the settings that are effected by PhysX down to manageable levels you get nearly identical performance. And the "additions" as far as CoX go are pretty limited and likely not even noticeable in most cases.

That's not to say I think the PhysX doesn't hold promise, with gaming and computing getting exponentially more complex in such short amounts of time the idea of a dedicated physics processer just makes good sense. I think AGEIA would be much more intelligent if they shopped PhysX around as a on-board mobo solution instead of a pricey add-on card. Trying to sell the card to a handful of people at a premium these days isn't what makes companies like ATI/Nvidia etc profitable. It's their mass market on-board solutions. (Of course they make profit long run on their high end products, but there's no way they make nearly as much money on the handful of 8800's they sell than they make on their integrated graphics and value products that are put into "brand name" PC's) AGEIA could get their card on every major brand of mobo and make a fortune.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited March 2007
    Ok, my scheme night char needs to get a raptor pack. Is this possible?

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    If you do the first mayhem with someone at that level yes.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    KingsHand wrote: »

Their conclusion pretty much sums it up. Looking at the scores would leave one to believe that the PhysX card gives a considerable increase to performance; however if you just turn the settings that are effected by PhysX down to manageable levels you get nearly identical performance. And the "additions" as far as CoX go are pretty limited and likely not even noticeable in most cases.

That's not to say I think the PhysX doesn't hold promise, with gaming and computing getting exponentially more complex in such short amounts of time the idea of a dedicated physics processer just makes good sense. I think AGEIA would be much more intelligent if they shopped PhysX around as a on-board mobo solution instead of a pricey add-on card. Trying to sell the card to a handful of people at a premium these days isn't what makes companies like ATI/Nvidia etc profitable. It's their mass market on-board solutions. (Of course they make profit long run on their high end products, but there's no way they make nearly as much money on the handful of 8800's they sell than they make on their integrated graphics and value products that are put into "brand name" PC's) AGEIA could get their card on every major brand of mobo and make a fortune.

I would guess that if procs continue to go multi-core, it will become even harder to justify spending much for a specialized card. The problem with your on-board idea is that people not into gaming don't need a physics proc at all, so why would they want one on their motherboard?

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007

I would guess that if procs continue to go multi-core, it will become even harder to justify spending much for a specialized card. The problem with your on-board idea is that people not into gaming don't need a physics proc at all, so why would they want one on their motherboard?

That's not entirely true with OS's moving into 3D realms, putting any of the processes off the main CPU is a benefit, and AFAIK the PhysX processor can be used to process AI routines, though I'm not totally sure about that; but your point about multi-core processors is true, I didn't think of that. I stopped being "hip" with new PC tech about 2 years ago when I got my XPS Gen 2 laptop and realized that it would easily be the last PC I could afford for several years; and when I keep up with tech info, it's really hard for me not to rack up the credit card bills upgrading.

EDIT: Also, whenever I read your screenname, my mind unconsciously replaces an "o" with a "c" in cook and I should probably see someone about that problem.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited March 2007

That's not entirely true with OS's moving into 3D realms, putting any of the processes off the main CPU is a benefit, and AFAIK the PhysX processor can be used to process AI routines, though I'm not totally sure about that; but your point about multi-core processors is true, I didn't think of that. I stopped being "hip" with new PC tech about 2 years ago when I got my XPS Gen 2 laptop and realized that it would easily be the last PC I could afford for several years; and when I keep up with tech info, it's really hard for me not to rack up the credit card bills upgrading.

EDIT: Also, whenever I read your screenname, my mind unconsciously replaces an "o" with a "c" in cook and I should probably see someone about that problem.

It's the exact same for me....

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Scooter wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it'd be a waste of a couple hundred bucks.

From what I remember reading on the CoH Tech forum, yeah. If people want to waste a couple hundred bucks, send them to me. ;-)

You can install the Phys X drivers even if you dont have the card, and I seem to remember that doing that actually helps frame rate a bit in CoH.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Spend most of tonight tanking in a group with 3 kinetic defenders. Sometimes we dropped down to 2. Is there a new rule that all defenders must be kinetic? Are they about to be smacked with a nerf bat?

In any case it was a crazy, crazy job tanking when pressing a button for a fraction of a second could send you clear across the room.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Spend most of tonight tanking in a group with 3 kinetic defenders. Sometimes we dropped down to 2. Is there a new rule that all defenders must be kinetic? Are they about to be smacked with a nerf bat?

In any case it was a crazy, crazy job tanking when pressing a button for a fraction of a second could send you clear across the room.
    No rule, Kinetics are just that awesome.

see317 on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Kine + Stone Tank = God.

Scooter on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Where was all this Kinetic love back at launch when I was one of a handful of high level Kinetics on the server? Huh! Huh! Back then it was all, "God, wish we had a real Defender on the team."

Accualt on
This discussion has been closed.