Options

[CoH/V] i10 - This Is Our, Independence Day

• Options
    Peeps ChickenPeeps Chicken Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Okay, I picked up CoV over the weekend, and I reactivated my old CoH account. I hadn't played since before ED/Suppression/PvP was introduced, so it's basically a whole new game.

I rolled a Mercenaries/Traps mastermind, and I managed to get him to 14 over the long weekend. I'd like to throw out my observations and see if they're accurate, as well as a few questions:

1) Flight: Flight a) seems a lot fast than it used to be, and b) I could have sworn there used to be an accuracy penalty that I'm not seeing it on the tooltip now. Was it removed? It's actually pretty nifty now.

2) I'm not having any real endurance problems... I'm sure part of that is because I'm a MM, and my henchman are the ones doing all the fighting, but still, my endurance is almost a non-issue. Did they lower the endurance costs substantially, or is it just the archetype I'm playing? I'd log onto my old CoH character, but he's a regen scrapper, so he's not really the best for getting a gauge on endurance issues.

3) Server transfers... when I left 1+ year ago, they were saying those were imminent. I'm not seeing an option anywhere at the CoH website, PlayNC, or in-game for server transfers... I'm guessing they still haven't implemented those yet?

4) PvP... explain the PvP options? There's the Arena and PvP zones, correct? Will I have to PvP if I don't want to?

Peeps Chicken on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    1)Flight is a bit faster now, costs less endurance, and has no accuracy penalty. It does slow down to hover speed if you attack while flying though.

2)MM's can be pretty endurance efficient. Traps doesn't really need Stamina, but other secondaries like Dark Miasma or Poison ought to get it. During I6 with Enhancement Diversification, all powers got an endurance cost reduction as well.

3)They keep saying its coming. So far, nothing to show for it.

4)I'll pass this off to Ghostalker or someone else who actually PvP's.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Okay, I picked up CoV over the weekend, and I reactivated my old CoH account. I hadn't played since before ED/Suppression/PvP was introduced, so it's basically a whole new game.

I rolled a Mercenaries/Traps mastermind, and I managed to get him to 14 over the long weekend. I'd like to throw out my observations and see if they're accurate, as well as a few questions:

1) Flight: Flight a) seems a lot fast than it used to be, and b) I could have sworn there used to be an accuracy penalty that I'm not seeing it on the tooltip now. Was it removed? It's actually pretty nifty now.

2) I'm not having any real endurance problems... I'm sure part of that is because I'm a MM, and my henchman are the ones doing all the fighting, but still, my endurance is almost a non-issue. Did they lower the endurance costs substantially, or is it just the archetype I'm playing? I'd log onto my old CoH character, but he's a regen scrapper, so he's not really the best for getting a gauge on endurance issues.

3) Server transfers... when I left 1+ year ago, they were saying those were imminent. I'm not seeing an option anywhere at the CoH website, PlayNC, or in-game for server transfers... I'm guessing they still haven't implemented those yet?

4) PvP... explain the PvP options? There's the Arena and PvP zones, correct? Will I have to PvP if I don't want to?

1. I can't remember if they increased the speed but yes the accuracy penalty was removed.

2. This is likely due to what you are playing. Traps MM's especially can get by without Stamina..and I don't know if you have taken your attacks but that is also a factor.

3. Still not in. I think this is one of the things they sort of put on the back burner. I doubt we will ever see it.

4. You don't have to pvp if you don't want to. It is all restricted to the arena and the zones and is completely optional. If you are a badge whore then yes you will have to pvp at some point as some of the badges are a result of pvping or at the very least being in a pvp zone.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    a. It is faster.
    b. I believe the accuracy penalty has simply been replaced by the fact that you slow to a crawl whenever you attack. Hover does not suffer from this.

2. There was across the board endurance cost reductions after ED. Most characters still need Stamina, but your MM probably won't.

3. No server transfers yet.

4. PvP is relegated to the arena and a handful of zones. PvP is entirely optional, but some of the zones have some nifty rewards for completing certain objectives.

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hover got a slight speed boost as well and all +speed buffs effect Flight.

As far as no server transfers that isn't entirely accurate. US to UK transfers were/are available, there is even a badge for it.

Personally I like all of the PvP zones except Warbug, and I'd probably like Warbug better if it wasn't open PvP. The temp powers from Bloody Bay and Warbug are pretty cool, imho, and the temp powers you can buy if your side is winning in Siren's Call are lovely. I like having a par of IR Goggles on me for those damn smoke grenades in Arachnos missions.

Accualt on
  • Options
    GhostalkerGhostalker Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Since everyone has covered most of your questions I'll just briefly describe PvP.

It's completely optional unless you want every badge there is. There are some great renewable temp powers, included a 5 summon Elite Boss pet, that are in the PvP zones but if you go during off hours you'll never have to do any actual fighting.

That's not to say you shouldn't get in there and mix it up. PvP is pretty fast and MMs tank pretty well with the new Bodyguard feature but if you expect to take anyone down you might want to find a Corrupter or Stalker to help you out.

Also? Lots of accidental debt so if you're adverse to it just wait till you hit 50.

Ghostalker on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Actually MMs are the worst for PvPing with, due to the fact that it can take several minutes to get set up and all of 5 seconds to be killed. That alone would keep me from pvping with an MM.

Scooter on
  • Options
    Capncrunch7Capncrunch7 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Dominators are pretty frustrating to pvp with as well. Break frees neutralize all primary powers, and the 'tickle me to death' secondary doesn't stand up too well on it's own.

Capncrunch7 on
    XBLA: gogogadgetchris
  • Options
    WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Scooter wrote: »
    Actually MMs are the worst for PvPing with, due to the fact that it can take several minutes to get set up and all of 5 seconds to be killed. That alone would keep me from pvping with an MM.

Dude.

You are kidding, right? My Mercs/Traps MM has killed a whole assload of Scrappers using Poison Trap, which is, like, the best hold power ever.

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Q/A from "Lord Recluse" (not Zeb Cook) is up at Warcry: Link.

Couple of interesting points.

Concerning switching SG membership from 75 characters to 75 accounts:
    Something along the lines of this is definitely coming. In fact, I will go so far as to say that both Supergroups and Bases will be getting some much needed love over the next few updates. We are fully aware that MMOG’s are all about the social element and we want to support that as much as possible.

I10:
    Issue 10 will focus on a level range that you guys have been clamoring about for a while.

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    At last, new level 21-23 content :P

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    LepLep Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    That 1-2 grind is vicious.

Lep on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Don't be haters. :P

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    A new mission for 49-50 in which every single mob is an AV.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Gear Girl wrote: »
    A new mission for 49-50 in which every single mob is an AV.

I'd be up for that.

So was he talking about 50+ content? I doubts it. Or 30-40 content? Most likely.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    30-40 tends to be what most people complain about..and he did say level range..calling 50+ a level range doesn't seem right.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'd say more people "clamor" about no (good) content for 50s than for 30-40. I really hope he means 50s. Though Gear is right, his wording points against it.

Heck, I'd settle for them revamping the Shadow Shard and its TFs so it all wasn't so terribly unfun and annoying. Or turning RCS into a cool level 50 playground. Anything, really. Especially considering that I9 will bring ways to buff up 50s (who currently can't do any new stuff with those buffs).

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    telcustelcus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Okay so whats the dealio?

I downloaded the client via the last link in the first post (all 2.2gigs -_-) so I'm all ramped up and ready to play. Do I need to purchase the game via the PlayNC store (which seems superfluous as part of it seems to be access to be able to download the game) or can I just create an account and start feeding the beast with my monies?

telcus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    telcus wrote: »

I downloaded the client via the last link in the first post (all 2.2gigs -_-) so I'm all ramped up and ready to play. Do I need to purchase the game via the PlayNC store (which seems superfluous as part of it seems to be access to be able to download the game) or can I just create an account and start feeding the beast with my monies?
    I think you need to buy the game (online or at a store), which gets you the account code to create the account which'll let you play.

see317 on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    see317 wrote: »
    telcus wrote: »

I think you need to buy the game (online or at a store), which gets you the account code to create the account which'll let you play.

I might suggest grabbing a trial before you put in your key to get the extra 14 days of free time in addition to the free month with the game.

I posted a link a few pages back with a site that seems to perpetually give a code; or people here might have some codes.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited April 2007
    We get free game time if you use one of ours and buy a 2nd month. I'll give you one if no one else does before I get home.

Scooter on
  • Options
    telcustelcus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Right, thanks lads.

Someone PMed me with the details for getting a trial. Thanks for the help.

telcus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    guys

i really want to make a martial arts/regen scrapper who doesn't suck

halp

Pony on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I think you pretty much took care of the not sucking part already

Scooter on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Yeah, except for that long stretch between 25-40 which has improved, MA/regen is pretty easy.

It's also my only 50 so it's one of the few builds I'm qualified to talk about.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    whoa hey i was screwing around with hero builder

and uh

dark/SR scrapper seems pretty devastating

smite and shadow maul

take hasten, flurry, superspeed too

and then quickness

i mean i have like no soak ability whatsoever but jesus christ look at that damage

at least in theory

Pony on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    See, right there is your first mistake: Dark Melee.
    Second mistake? Flurry.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Nothing wrong with Dark Melee, granted this is coming from a level 20 DM/Regen scrapper and 24 DM/Fiery Brute... Ive yet to get a character to 50... My only complaint is when Shadow Maul misses, its annoying to see you still standing there flailing like a mongoloid.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    LepLep Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Whats wrong dark melee?

Lep on
  • Options
    guruslothgurusloth Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Dark Melee and its -ACC attacks stack well with +DEF powersets like Super Reflexes. Also, Soul Drain beats the pants off of Build Up when used in a large group of foes, and you've also got Siphon Life and Dark Consumption if you're worried about health and endurance, but they're totally skippable if you're planning on getting Stamina and/or have lots of Emp defenders fawning over you. The fear powers are (supposedly, I've never tried them) good in PVP also.

I do agree that flurry is a waste of a power, though.

gurusloth on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Nocren wrote: »
    Second mistake? Flurry.

Third mistake, SR.

Scooter on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Scooter wrote: »
    Nocren wrote: »
    Second mistake? Flurry.

Third mistake, SR.

I run a Dark Melee SR scrapper for team night. She is my least favorite character to play but mostly because I can hardly get multiple targets with shadow maul. And yes shadow maul missing is cringe worthy.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Fourth mistake: Isn't BS/Inv.

BS/Inv is the scrapper of the gods.

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    PbPb Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    wallhitter wrote: »

I'm pretty sure you mean BS/Regen.
    Pony wrote: »
    whoa hey i was screwing around with hero builder

and uh

dark/SR scrapper seems pretty devastating

smite and shadow maul

take hasten, flurry, superspeed too

and then quickness

i mean i have like no soak ability whatsoever but jesus christ look at that damage

at least in theory

I have a DM/EA Brute, which is pretty much the same idea, and it is not devastating in the least. It's amazingly survivable, but the damage output just isn't there.

Pb on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Pb wrote: »
    wallhitter wrote: »

I'm pretty sure you mean BS/Regen.

Not always.

BS/Inv is much better when it comes to handling large amounts of enemies.

Granted, it takes a REALLY long time to get good. Not until level 28.

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    so MA/Regen seems pretty good though?

Pony on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Basically, I'd like to make a Natural character that's just a vigilante for solo play and for actually playing through story arcs.

I've tried many different ways to do this and it's pretty hard.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Well I am playing a MA/Inv pretty much solo from 1-50 and it has never been very hard. I even have it on invincible most of the time now. I imagine almost any scrapper build will work perfectly fine for a story soloer.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So. I9 by end of April, huh?

Maybe I'll suit up again and try it out. I'd bowed out of regular super-duty thanks to Zelda and WoW, but there's some dope stuff in this release that piques my interest. Not the least of which is the new wings and flight animations.

Tach on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    i'm looking at making a MA/Invuln scrapper and there's basically no way it doesn't suck without the toggles

but i don't want the toggles for flavor reasons. I don't want to be frickin' glowing

Pony on
This discussion has been closed.