Options

[Mass Effect] Actually a Gears of War Spin-off

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Prohass wrote: »
    The only multiplayer I need is Bad Company 2. I like my multi pure, based on accuracy, skill AND strategy, not just a fragfest. Never did shine to Borderlands, I can see its appeal tho.

I would have liked Borderlands more if the classes were better balanced and it had an actual story to it.

It was something fun to play with my brother though.

You know...ME2 really needs a pinnacle station. My vanguard is just sitting here all maxed out with nothing to do.

Ohh...it should like have bosses on every stage. And then have a gauntlet where the enemies get stronger and stronger and you see how far you can go.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    The only multiplayer I need is Bad Company 2. I like my multi pure, based on accuracy, skill AND strategy, not just a fragfest. Never did shine to Borderlands, I can see its appeal tho.

I would have liked Borderlands more if the classes were better balanced

What particular imbalance are you referring to? The fact that Soldiers with upgraded turrets are near unkillable, have infinite ammo, and a 2nd gun that kills everything?

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    In their own way, every class in borderlands is broken. The focus of the game wasn't PvP though, so it wasn't a major thing.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm talking more towards drops.

ARs and Rockets were really crappy, while SMGs and Revolvers were very good.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The Mass Effect Thread.

Where we talk about Boarderlands and Alpha Protocol

But we should also be talking about Vampire Bloodlines, System Shock 2, Deus Ex

And all the possible fanfiction crossovers we can imagine with our sick, sick minds.

C2B on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    3clipse wrote: »

I would have liked Borderlands more if the classes were better balanced

What particular imbalance are you referring to? The fact that Soldiers with upgraded turrets are near unkillable, have infinite ammo, and a 2nd gun that kills everything?

hahahaha no.

siren is by FAR the most OP class in borderlands

if anything soldier's turret does crap for damage on playthrough 2/knoxx

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah. Well, when you've had a thread going non-stop for almost a good 3 years it does go off topic at times.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    i've had dreams where my vanguard charges a merc with a Vitrolic Crux equipped

i hear the screaming in my head

it's nice, yeah

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I guess a Siren is kinda like a vanguard...

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I would have liked Borderlands more if the classes were better balanced and it had an actual story to it.

It was something fun to play with my brother though.

You know...ME2 really needs a pinnacle station. My vanguard is just sitting here all maxed out with nothing to do.

Ohh...it should like have bosses on every stage. And then have a gauntlet where the enemies get stronger and stronger and you see how far you can go.

I've thought this many, many time.

They could even reuse the assets and I'd buy it and not complain.

gjaustin on
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Weird how Pinnacle Station was so bland, but I would buy it again for ME2. I guess I jsut enjoy the combat in this game that much more.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well, they'd have to do a better job constructing the missions. Part of it was the combat, part of it was the shitty shitty missions.

Also spawning in directly in front of you, and that jackass screaming over your ear every time you took a bullet.

Orca on
  • Options
    EtherealEthereal Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    C2B wrote: »
    The Mass Effect Thread.

Where we talk about Boarderlands and Alpha Protocol

But we should also be talking about Vampire Bloodlines, System Shock 2, Deus Ex

And all the possible fanfiction crossovers we can imagine with our sick, sick minds.

Yessssss oh god yesssssss. I want a Malkavian Shepard.

Ethereal on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wyborn wrote: »
    The Viper with Adrenaline Rush just isn't fair.

I feel like I'm cheating, and I don't even have the headshot upgrade yet.

Yeah, a soldier with the Viper is a murder festival. It's pretty great eliminating mooks immediately at the start of a battle in glorious slow-mo.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Wait, so.... wow. Soldier is way overpowered even compared to Infiltrator in terms of sheer damage done.

It makes sense that Adrenaline Rush, in allowing for sustained fire, would be superior than Tactical Cloak when it comes to damage from the Viper or any other rapid-fire or semi-automatic weapon. But I really thought that Assassin's Cloak would give the Infiltrator an advantage when using the Widow.

Nope.

Damage from unupgraded Widow with Assassination Cloak: 644.525
    Damage from unupgraded Widow with Heightened Adrenaline Rush: 883.92
    Damage from unupgraded Widow with ANY OTHER Adrenaline Rush: 736.6

So even if you only put one point in Adrenaline Rush, the Soldier still does more damage per Widow shot than the Infiltrator does

That shit is terrifying, especially since Heightened and Hardened Adrenaline Rushes have such short cooldowns - only half as long as Tactical Cloak, when both are fully upgraded!

I think the only class that could even pray to match the Soldier in terms of DPS would be the Vanguard, and even that's only because they always get that multiplier for melee range

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    The Widow comes off even worse when that Soldier is using the Viper. The Viper can rapidly unload a whole clip into anything with perfect accuracy. Combined with headshot bonuses it is absolutely ridiculous.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I'm just saying if you like that one shot, one kill dynamic (which I love), then the Soldier definitely has a leg up. I wouldn't have expected that.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Man what? Doesn't the Infiltrator have assassination cloak? Can't they do something like 2000 damage per shot?

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm just saying if you like that one shot, one kill dynamic (which I love), then the Soldier definitely has a leg up. I wouldn't have expected that.
    I never took the Widow until the Mattock came around, and I have to say I could scarcely imagine NOT having it. A Heightened AR Widow shot ANYWHERE on the body of a basic mook is an instant kill on Insanity (at least after a few sniper rifle upgrades). And there is something perversely pleasurable about taking of a LOKI's head with the Widow. Watching their heads explode in slow motion is just the tops.

I love the Widow.

Graviija on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Man what? Doesn't the Infiltrator have assassination cloak? Can't they do something like 2000 damage per shot?

Assassination Cloak adds 75% damage.

Adrenaline Rush adds 100% damage to make up for the time dilation. Heightened adds 140%.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

The math comes out in favor of Adrenaline Rush.

Also the problem with the Viper as I see it, is the "stagger" that comes from a headshot non-kill seems to fuck with hit detection for immediate subsequent headshots. They don't seem to register as headshots.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

The reason the Soldier is generally the easiest/statistically best class to play is the following:

crazymasseffect2statsan.jpg

The chances of the average unskilled person being hampered are simply greatly minimized by overpowering the class the majority will play.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    BlackDove wrote: »

The reason the Soldier is generally the easiest/statistically best class to play is the following:

The chances of the average unskilled person being hampered are simply greatly minimized by overpowering the class the majority will play.

Basically.

Soldier was ez-mode in ME1 and ME2 and is probably the least technical of all the classes.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    All you do is shoot things. I mean it can't be a difficult class due to the sheer array of weapon choices it gets and the adrenaline burst is plain amazing.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Aegeri wrote: »
    All you do is shoot things. I mean it can't be a difficult class due to the sheer array of weapon choices it gets and the adrenaline burst is plain amazing.

That's kind of what I'm saying.

Soldier is basically made for a pick up and play style. Basically for people who want to go through the game and have a good time without having to figure out how their character is suppose to "work" first.

I mean basically all you need to invest in is AR and probably the passive skill. Everything else is icing.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Wow with the ship scanner upgrade and whatever they did to scanning with the DLC scanning takes no time at all now. I can rip a rich planet down to poor in around 2 minutes and get shitloads out of it. This has eliminated by one and only major complaint with the gameplay of ME2. Great to see bioware listening to their fans.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Bioware have seriously impressed me with how they respond to fan feedback. It's like they listen to complaints, then think carefully about them and do something clever to satiate.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So far, I've played Engineer, Vanguard, and Soldier, with a little bit of an Adept run completed. I have to say that Engineer is my favorite, and I really wish you could an Engineer ally earlier in the game.

Why, Bioware? Why would you get Steve Blum as a voice actor, then just kill him off?

You should have gotten a choice to kill off Jacob, Miranda, or Wilson in the beginning.
    Bang.

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Carnarvon wrote: »
    Bang.

So much love <3

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    So far, I've played Engineer, Vanguard, and Soldier, with a little bit of an Adept run completed. I have to say that Engineer is my favorite, and I really wish you could an Engineer ally earlier in the game.

Why, Bioware? Why would you get Steve Blum as a voice actor, then just kill him off?

You should have gotten a choice to kill off Jacob, Miranda, or Wilson in the beginning.
    Bang.
    Steve Blum also voices Grunt.

And a stunning number of side characters.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    NartwakNartwak Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

He does some jerk on the bridge (Matthews? I don't remember) and Grunt as well.

Nartwak on
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So, I'm doing my evil lady Shepard run on Hardcore as a Vanguard starting from level 1. The majority of the time, I steamroll through, but my dudes are dying so often on this difficulty. Do I need to micromanage them more on higher difficulties?

Also, the Horizon fight with the two scions and tons of husks (who have armor now D:) was killing even Shepard. Any tips for dealing with Scions / Husks as a Vanguard on Hardcore?

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Steve can voice at least four dozen characters before he starts detracting from a game.

He's like the Eddie Murphy of voice actors.

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    templewulf wrote: »
    So, I'm doing my evil lady Shepard run on Hardcore as a Vanguard starting from level 1. The majority of the time, I steamroll through, but my dudes are dying so often on this difficulty. Do I need to micromanage them more on higher difficulties?

Also, the Horizon fight with the two scions and tons of husks (who have armor now D:) was killing even Shepard. Any tips for dealing with Scions / Husks as a Vanguard on Hardcore?

Husks are a joke as an engineer, or anyone with Incinerate. Take Samara(or bring Reave with you) and someone with either Warp or Incinerate. On Hardcore, I could bring them down with two volleys before taking a shot.

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Max Charge (Heavy), max Passive (Champion), however much Incendiary Ammo you've got. Equip Eviscerator. Charge. Shoot. Melee. Shoot.

If you charge just as they're releasing their short-range explodey attack, it cancels that attack out.

Why are you level 1?

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Husks are a joke as an engineer, or anyone with Incinerate. Take Samara(or bring Reave with you) and someone with either Warp or Incinerate. On Hardcore, I could bring them down with two volleys before taking a shot.

on the derelict I was punching husks to death, as a vangod.

punch punch punch shields down charge shotgun punch punch punch

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Max Charge (Heavy), max Passive (Champion), however much Incendiary Ammo you've got. Equip Eviscerator. Charge. Shoot. Melee. Shoot.

If you charge just as they're releasing their short-range explodey attack, it cancels that attack out.

Why are you level 1?

I would say go Destroyer, actually.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    Evil WeevilEvil Weevil Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Steve can voice at least four dozen characters before he starts detracting from a game.

He's like the Eddie Murphy of voice actors.

Seriously, Steven Blum is EVERYWHERE these days, at least in vidja games.

Evil Weevil on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    3clipse wrote: »

Why are you level 1?

I would say go Destroyer, actually.

Champion for cooldown!

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I just noticed an extra level of cheese on the double-scion on horizon:
    you can defeat the scions using powers before the scene "triggers". I.e. you stay on the steps after you open the door and you can either snipe away at the scions (that are both barely visible) or even use powers. I'm rolling my slut-sentinel and with his warp, garrus' concussive shot and mordin's incinerate, the scions were toast in no time. AND I DIDN'T WASTE ANY BULLETS!

envoy1 on
This discussion has been closed.