As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DmC: Devil May Cry - Ignore the OP/outrage, it's pretty damn good.

• Options
    ContentContextContentContext Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    After looking at the trailer, I noticed that when he was falling backwards, he was holding Ebony and Ivory.

That's something...right?

ContentContext on
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It's established that this is supposed to be the same Dante, isn't it?

He's been through so many character permutations already (not all of them good), what's one more? :V

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    He was changed because, according to Ninja Theory, Old Dante isn't cool anymore.
    “The essence of Devil May Cry is all about ‘cool. It’s about Dante being cool and making you feel cool when you’re playing it, and so the combat and the style system and everything is integral to that. But, you know, what was cool 12 years ago — I think that was when the first game came out – isn’t cool anymore.”

While many fans of the DMC series would disagree, what Tameem said next is only adding fuel to the fire.

“If Dante, dressed as he was, walked into any bar outside of Tokyo, he’d get laughed out. What Devil May Cry did when it launched was it brought everything that was great about action cinema like the fashion, music — it was like a cultural melting pot — and I feel like now, for Devil May Cry to have that same impact, it needs to draw on new things. New music, new ways of cinematography, new fashion.”

-Loki- on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    And looking like a male prostitute on meth is.... cool?

Every time I think I start to understand Japan, UGH!

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Why do I get the feeling this is like FF XII and they changed Dante because teenage girls didn't want to play as an old (adult) guy?

Gilder on
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That's good, the guy making the new Devil May Cry apparently thinks that the original came out on the PS1.

Graviija on
  • Options
    gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Now I've never played the original DMC, but was it really a "cultural melting pot"? I thought it was a game where you shot giant lava spiders in an old gothic castle or something.

gunwarrior on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Dante, dressed as he was, walked into any bar outside of Tokyo
    And he would be perfectly accepted in Tokyo!

Couscous on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    gunwarrior wrote: »
    Now I've never played the original DMC, but was it really a "cultural melting pot"? I thought it was a game where you shot giant lava spiders in an old gothic castle or something.

If by "cultural melting pot" you mean "throwing Spanish castles, leftover parts of stuff from Resident Evil, and anything you think is cool together," then yes.

Couscous on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Couscous wrote: »

I thought that was hilariously misinformed and slightly racist.

I mean japanese people obviously dress like samurais

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That cowboy thing he was rocking in 4. Isn't that, like, in in Tokyo right now?

Monger on
  • Options
    ElitistbElitistb Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    If emo-Dante, dressed as he is now, walked into any bar whose standard customers do not include twitching meth addicts, he'd be thrown out.

He isn't cool looking, he's just druggie looking in the most uncool way possible (realistically druggie, in other words).

Elitistb on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    New Dante is like a druggie main character in a movie who hates life,never smiles and smells abysmal,yet for some reason the movie wants to punch you over the head with how "cool" he is and every female in the movie automatically wants to get into his bug infested pants.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Monger wrote: »
    That cowboy thing he was rocking in 4. Isn't that, like, in in Tokyo right now?

I mean sure Japan has some odd clothing subcultures but assuming that anyone dresses like dante outside of an anime convention is just stupid.

Though honestly his outfit is pretty tame red jacket aside.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't think a character is cool because I can wear their clothes to bars outside of Tokyo. I mean... How did that even come up? What the hell is that guy talking about?

Obviously DMC1 Dante wouldn't fly these days. That's why they reinvented him in every subsequent DMC, finally hitting the bull's eye in DMC3. But even Dante designs as different as in DMC2 and 3 still had enough common attributes to make them identifiable. I'm fine with a new design, but if you make it so different that people can't recognize it as Dante, and the setting/gameplay/music is also going to be entirely different (sorry, "modern"), what's the damn point of calling it Devil May Cry?

Thinking about this game got me imagining what I'd want from a proper DMC3 prequel made by Capcom Japan. Dante and Vergil would have been partners working together to unravel the mystery of their origins, the game would have co-op, and it would have "Jackpot."

Sigh. I'm sad that it'll never happen now.

Rex Dart on
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    DmC vergil will look like Steve Buscemi

DmC vergil will be Steve Buscemi

Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    Stand, Killer QueenStand, Killer Queen Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Beezel, consider the game bought twice if that turns out to be true.

Damn that would be awesome. Shit. THAT'S what's missing from games today! Fucking Steve Buscemi man. Name a game he wouldn't make better.

That's right: you can't.

Stand, Killer Queen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    SnareSnare Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Easy solution is to surely not call him Dante, because he isn't. That video makes the game look slow, pretentious and boring.

Snare on
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I think the pretentiousness would suit a teenage Dante. He's an adolescent with demonic power, so of course he's going to be a bit full of himself. I'm not sure what his parental situation is, but if you're that powerful, you're hardly going to accept any sort of authority, especially if you're going/just gone through puberty. Also, he's kinda cocky (though, from what I've seen from movies and LPs, it's more of nonchalant confidence in whatever he does) as an adult, so he would probably be an insufferable prick before he learnt a bit of self restraint. Maybe that's what the story is, Dante maturing into the well-rounded adult of later games.

I've got no idea why they're going for the meth-head look, but if he goes around thinking he's invincible, he's hardly going to take good care of himself much. Though it would be cool if this wasn't a DMC game and they took the drug thing into a Transient Man style story. That'd be cool.

Lalabox on
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Can we all at least agree that pre-DmC Dante has become a parody of himself? The original Dante and Dante-thrusts-with-great-force are obviously not the same person.

As cheesy as he was from the beginning, I don't think he was meant to be a cartoon character, so in some ways this new Dante is more true to the original than the DMC4 incarnation.

For the record I like them all, including hip, modern Dante. I just think Kamiya was on the money when he said that no Dante has been the same anyway.

Given that there's more instances of over the top awesome Dante, then DMC1 Dante (Or, hell, generic Dante from DMC2.). I'd have to disagree there. Plus, part of the appeal of Dante 3/4 is that he knows he's a ludicrous jackass. He just does stuff because it's funny/cool. The new Dante seems to be grim-dark for no good reason.

Also, how the fuck did he go from looking like a meth addict, to being a white haired pretty boy in DMC3?

Also, some videos of DMC3/4 Dante to accentuate my point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pWvKx1x1pk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFP9BiBSP98&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xsq7O0Vpj64&feature=related

Archonex on
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I thought that was hilariously misinformed and slightly racist.

I mean japanese people obviously dress like samurais

You know those silly outfits the characters from "The World Ends With You" wear? Yeah, a good portion of Japan actually dresses like that. I shit you not.

EDIT: But even then, red leather jackets will attract anyone's attention no matter where you go.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    How good a portion? I would expect a small percentage of the population, something akin to the amount of people who dress like goths over here.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Stroll down Shibuya someday. The colours will strike you blind.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Fireflash wrote: »
    How good a portion? I would expect a small percentage of the population, something akin to the amount of people who dress like goths over here.

Er, if I'd have to venture a guess, most of the people who hang around the shopping districts, like Shibuya, or maybe Ikebukuro. There really isn't really much of a "goth" fashion in Japan, save for Gothic Lolita and Visual Kei fashions, I guess. If Dante applied to any Japanese style, it would probably be Visual Kei, but even that is stretching it. Dante was always given a pretty westernized style.

EDIT: Oh, and Tameem is a fucking retard. I only have to read his quotes to figure that one out. As I said, Dante' style was always supposed to be a unique westernized style. Hell, some would even compare his style to the popular style of Alucard, from Hellsing. Saying that it is out of date and laughable to DMC fans shows how ignorant he fucking is.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Fireflash wrote: »

There really isn't really much of a "goth" fashion in Japan, save for Gothic Lolita and Visual Kei fashions, I guess.

I don't think he was suggesting that there was any goth fashion over there. Just suggesting that the 2 styles were equally niche in their respective countries. Although that doesn't seem to be the case.

I don't really think there is a time or place where Dante's look would have been considered fashionable or normal. So I agree that saying his look "went out of style" is silly.

Dirty on
  • Options
    Kyoka SuigetsuKyoka Suigetsu Odin gave his left eye for knowledge. I would give far more Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    -Loki- wrote: »
    He was changed because, according to Ninja Theory, Old Dante isn't cool anymore.
    “The essence of Devil May Cry is all about ‘cool. It’s about Dante being cool and making you feel cool when you’re playing it, and so the combat and the style system and everything is integral to that. But, you know, what was cool 12 years ago — I think that was when the first game came out – isn’t cool anymore.”

While many fans of the DMC series would disagree, what Tameem said next is only adding fuel to the fire.

If Dante, dressed as he was, walked into any bar outside of Tokyo, he’d get laughed out. What Devil May Cry did when it launched was it brought everything that was great about action cinema like the fashion, music — it was like a cultural melting pot — and I feel like now, for Devil May Cry to have that same impact, it needs to draw on new things. New music, new ways of cinematography, new fashion.”

Please tell me this man has nothing to do with anything Devil May Cry related ever. He literally has no fucking idea what his talking about.

Kyoka Suigetsu on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Especially since DMC came out 9 years ago. :P

And if Dante walked into ANY bar he'd instantly get all the chicks. If the chicks had tie-ins with demons and guns of course.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The kind of girls Dante would get would likely orgasm if he started to explain how he custom-built Ebony & Ivory

Also this motherfucker is dumb, why's he keep speaking so often?

Kazaka on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Psh, Dante didn't custom build Ebony and Ivory.

The true fangirls would know that.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    DeMoN wrote: »

It's right on the guns.

also Only the biggest nerds know Dante's alias.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

If Dante, dressed as he was, walked into any bar outside of Tokyo, he’d get laughed out. What Devil May Cry did when it launched was it brought everything that was great about action cinema like the fashion, music — it was like a cultural melting pot — and I feel like now, for Devil May Cry to have that same impact, it needs to draw on new things. New music, new ways of cinematography, new fashion.”

Please tell me this man has nothing to do with anything Devil May Cry related ever. He literally has no fucking idea what his talking about.

Translation: I'm hip and know what's cool, and all you Devil May Cry fans are wrong. Dante isn't cool anymore because I say so. We at Ninja Theory know what's cool though, so don't worry about it--we got this.

So... is it safe to assume this asshole will never work in this town (world) again? I really hope it is.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    DeMoN wrote: »

It's right on the guns.

also Only the biggest nerds know Dante's alias.

Tony Redgrave.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

? if Dante got laughed at in a bar in Tokyo, he would probably shoot or dismember the laughers. Also, the new design wouldn't get laughed at?

Kadoken on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

Translation: I'm hip and know what's cool, and all you Devil May Cry fans are wrong. Dante isn't cool anymore because I say so. We at Ninja Theory know what's cool though, so don't worry about it--we got this.

So... is it safe to assume this asshole will never work in this town (world) again? I really hope it is.
    No, you don't get it, man. Our design resonates with today's urban youth. When you see him stop the community center from being bulldozed through the power of street culture and modern dance, you'll understand.

Monger on
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I thought Tony Redgrave was the name of Dante's prototype back when the game was going to be Resident Evil 4 instead of Devil May Cry?

Lars on
  • Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Monger wrote: »

Also, it's totally cool to smoke now. Like, it wasn't, but now it is again. And stuff.

Seriously, the smoking just takes it over the edge for me. It's not fucking cool.

No, you don't get it, man. Our design resonates with today's urban youth. When you see him stop the community center from being bulldozed through the power of street culture and modern dance, you'll understand.

Apparently it's cool to smoke again, too. Which, you know, it isn't. The fact that they just tacked that on for no other reason than to do so just further infuriates me. Ah well, looks like they've done a good job of killing a respectable IP.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KorigamaKorigama Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Lars wrote: »
    I thought Tony Redgrave was the name of Dante's prototype back when the game was going to be Resident Evil 4 instead of Devil May Cry?

It's that, too. Either way, the words "For Tony Redgrave" are engraved upon Ebony & Ivory.

Korigama on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

So capcom is essentially handing the franchise over to someone who has has no knowledge of the franchise at all.

Awesome.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hey, you never know this could work.
    I'm not holding my breath though.

Karl on
  • Options
    G RolG Rol Dorsia? Nobody goes there anymore... Nell'sRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I think we all just need to slow down and wait for some actual gameplay footage. I'll concede that the trailer was lackluster; opinions on Dante's redesign aside. Didn't the guy that directed Versus direct the cutscenes in DMC3? Those are big shoes to fill.

I personally dig the redesign, but I thought DMC4 was super stale. This series needs an injection of fresh ideas. I have no idea if Ninja Theory can kick out the "stylish action" gameplay jams; but I'm sure that Capcom will be looking over their shoulder the whole time to ensure it all feels right...or at least I hope so.

Maybe I'm just predisposed because I'm a filthy smoker?

G Rol on

G%20Rol.jpg