As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Remember [Chat]

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »

but if people know of and suspect terminators, they'd be wary of taking in strangers looking for help in the wasteland

so a traitor probably wouldn't be so effective against an estabished group he was not a part of already

This alone would have made a better movie then T4.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    *video*

:?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Winky wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    The greater point I'm trying to make is that your ethical bias is making you a worse scientist. I will acknowledge that you cannot remove biases entirely, perhaps my issue is that I wish scientists went to greater lengths to keep their biases in check than they do.

This is what rigorous experimental design and peer review are for.

I, of course, am displeased with the modern efficacy of this, but I guess I always will be until I finish those science robots that do science all day without bias or ethics.

Speaking as a programmer, science robots would be worse.

Not if they're built by other robots to be built without bias, which were in turn built by other robots to be built without bias!

Actually I've been reading Kuhn lately and I think from his position someone entirely without bias would be incapable of doing science.

Winky on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    tyrannus wrote: »
    wow. this movie just makes me fucking angry

you angry?

I refuse to believe this

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

chemotherapy involves pain with great potential benefits!

would you withhold treatment if your child had cancer?

would you willingly let your child die of cancer, the last words on his lips being "why did you let me die, daddy"?

no?

then you go up there and rape him

or you're a murderer

What if your incestuous murder child was both stalin and hitler?

Get him treated for schizophrenia.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well, no, this gets away from the point of my hypothetical but it's not a very good one and won't stand up to much scrutiny so let's move on.

The greater point I'm trying to make is that your ethical bias is making you a worse scientist. I will acknowledge that you cannot remove biases entirely, perhaps my issue is that I wish scientists went to greater lengths to keep their biases in check than they do.

Well, if there was any reason to believe child abuse was beneficial (you don't just create a hypothesis because of an idea you had while day-dreaming) then you could probably create an experiment that avoids doing any harm to children (some kind of survey?), though the most effective experiment would be to round up children and abuse them and then see how they turn out in 20 years. I'm not sure if that's an experiment anyone ought to engage in.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    What the fuck are you people talking about?

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

I, of course, am displeased with this, but I guess I never will be until I finish those science robots that do science all day without bias or ethics.

See, I'm saying that science "without bias or ethics" isn't merely a human impossibility due to our imperfect minds. I'm saying that it is a meaningless notion. Science has to be guided by ethics - "lying is bad and we shouldn't submit false data to journals" is an ethical statement. It has to be guided by expectations - as I said above, if we're studying PDE5 inhibitors instead of ground up tiger penis, it's because we have an expectation about what PDE5 inhibitors are going to do. Without ethics, expectations, and even biases, science is actually nonfunctional. So the best possible scenario is one in which all of our ethical notions, expectations, and biases are laid bare and effectively directed.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Richy wrote: »

Whethers its ethical to rape canadian professors who post on gaming forums.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Richy wrote: »

how to be a good person

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    tyrannus wrote: »
    wow. this movie just makes me fucking angry

you angry?

I refuse to believe this

knowing accounting makes it even worse

tyrannus on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Winky, you shouldn't be a scientist first and a feminist second.

You should self-identify as a critically thinking human being first.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm gonna boot this shit up!

Then be disgusted by the amount of bloatware and blow it away with a fresh Win7 install.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    What's up peoples?

Jokerman on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Jokerman wrote: »
    What's up peoples?

Not much 6 head.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2010

I, of course, am displeased with this, but I guess I never will be until I finish those science robots that do science all day without bias or ethics.

See, I'm saying that science "without bias or ethics" isn't merely a human impossibility due to our imperfect minds. I'm saying that it is a meaningless notion. Science has to be guided by ethics - "lying is bad and we shouldn't submit false data to journals" is an ethical statement. It has to be guided by expectations - as I said above, if we're studying PDE5 inhibitors instead of ground up tiger penis, it's because we have an expectation about what PDE5 inhibitors are going to do. Without ethics, expectations, and even biases, science is actually nonfunctional. So the best possible scenario is one in which all of our ethical notions, expectations, and biases are laid bare and effectively directed.

I'm still deciding how I feel about this.

Winky on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Winky, you shouldn't be a scientist first and a feminist second.

You should self-identify as a critically thinking human being first.

There is no difference between the first and third term in my mind.

This is to say the latter is how I literally define the former.

Winky on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

but if people know of and suspect terminators, they'd be wary of taking in strangers looking for help in the wasteland

so a traitor probably wouldn't be so effective against an estabished group he was not a part of already

just have the movie start with a guy walking through the wasteland showing it off

then some other humans notice him eventually and watches him for signs that he's a terminator

he joins them eventually and the rest of the movie is just about this group surviving

as the movie progresses the encounters with skynet forces increases from a drone flying in the distance to gunships searching, ground assets combing the area etc

eventually they get made and have to get away and survive

lots of tense action scenes follow

lots of people die

maybe only a few people survive

the main character among them

then, final scene, Main character sitting in a interrogation room-thing

with the reflection of a ominous machine with a glowing red eye-thing in the mirror glass behind him as he says

"I'm your Man."

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    What's up peoples?

Errbody is stealing from their grocery stores and no one feels bad about it.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    What's up peoples?

Not much 6 head.

don't insult jokers penis like that

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    edited September 2010

just have the movie start with a guy walking through the wasteland showing it off

then some other humans notice him eventually and watches him for signs that he's a terminator

he joins them eventually and the rest of the movie is just about this group surviving

as the movie progresses the encounters with skynet forces increases from a drone flying in the distance to gunships searching, ground assets combing the area etc

lots of people die

with the reflection of a ominous machine with a glowing red eye-thing in the mirror glass behind him as he says

"I'm your Man."

God damn I just came.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I consider 'critically thinking human being' to be more broad and 'scientist' includes additional connotations. To me 'scientist' implies someone who doesn't just think well but also possesses a great amount of knowledge and applies that knowledge using the scientific method. I think any critically thinking human being can carry a scientist's spirit, so to speak, but I'm not sure if I would consider every one a scientist.

It doesn't matter too much though, I don't want to ascribe sacred meaning to the term.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    Despite getting a bunch of stuff done, and getting the first step in a really big project that I know I will feel accomplished with...

I feel like shit. Terrible mood type of shit.

So I'm gonna eat a couple of Xanax, smoke this here super ganj, and polish off whatever liquor I can find.

Sheep on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    What's up peoples?

487 steal cabbage erry day. erry day

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Speaking of H/A, I am so glad that Ceres is a mod again.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    yeah me too

Feral on

• Options
    edited September 2010
    I consider 'critically thinking human being' to be more broad and 'scientist' includes additional connotations. To me 'scientist' implies someone who doesn't just think well but also possesses a great amount of knowledge and applies that knowledge using the scientific method. I think any critically thinking human being can carry a scientist's spirit, so to speak, but I'm not sure if I would consider every one a scientist.

It doesn't matter too much though, I don't want to ascribe sacred meaning to the term.

no, no. I think that makes sense.

Course my reaction is that based on those definitions I would much, much rather consider myself a scientist.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    What's up peoples?

487 steal cabbage erry day. erry day

Like I said earlier, I grab people rougly from behind and whisper in their ear "JUST KIDDING LOL!"

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sync faster ipod god

So It Goes on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

One thing I liked about Terminator SCC was that the future was a lot more fleshed out. Instead of humans vs. machines and two time travellers, we had human collaborators, machines that opposed skynet, and a large-scale time war.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wouldn't a person who frequently drinks and dates be more at risk of "random" rape (ignoring the whole fact that most happen at home by significant others) overall if we are going by the stereotype?

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I need to figure out a way for him to say "Man" capitalized though

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Skynet only attacked the humans because it perceived them as a threat, right?

So couldn't the humans end the war simply by agreeing to stop fighting?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010

lots of people die

"I'm your Man."

God damn I just came.

Strange that good movies simply don't test well...

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    You know that damn rape thread was almost off the first page with no replies when SkyGeNe posted the first one.

so close and yet so far.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    Wouldn't a person who frequently drinks and dates be more at risk of "random" rape (ignoring the whole fact that most happen at home by significant others) overall if we are going by the stereotype?

Get this outta here

So It Goes on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

no, no. I think that makes sense.

Course my reaction is that based on those definitions I would much, much rather consider myself a scientist.

Basically when I think about how I ought to identify myself I think about what is most important to me. While accumulating knowledge and applying that knowledge is important to me the underlying processes that allow me to think well is most important.

I am also really averse to labels so the more general or fundamental the better.

Edit: By that I mean I prefer labels that label more of me at more fundamental level rather than ones that only define a part of me.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I need to figure out a way for him to say "Man" capitalized though

When he says the line we're looking through the viewpoint of a terminator/machine and it transcribes the things he's saying into text on its heads up display

So It Goes on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I propose bringing up rape in the chat should be an infractable offense

seriously STFU already

nexuscrawler on
This discussion has been closed.