Options

[PA Tourney] Blood Bowl: Matches resume January 1st.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Are you able to catch your own kick-off after a blitz, if you walk into the right spot?

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    kedinik wrote: »
    Are you able to catch your own kick-off after a blitz, if you walk into the right spot?

Yes. It's so good.

Edit: Although most of the time your ball carrier will be with insufficient defense around him. So there is a little danger there.

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Danger, but when it works it is hilarious. My old skaven team made that something of a specialty.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Skaven are probably the only team with the MA necessary to form a fragile cage around a Gutter Runner during the kick off, and immediately dodge/run it in for a TD.

It is, however, contingent upon you forming a cage without being in base contact with any of their players, so that they only have the one blitz to use on trying to dodge into three tackle zones and then also hit your runner hard enough to dislodge the ball.

EDIT: Speaking of Skaven, I see a weird starting roster being suggested.

2 Stormvermin
    4 Gutter Runner
    1 Thrower
    4 Linerats
    3 Reroll
    1 Apothecary

I've seen this roster pop up in a few places, and it seems like starting with that many Gutter Runners is just begging for tragedy.

Normally I run with something closer to,
    2 Stormvermin
    2 Gutter Runner
    1 Thrower
    6 Linerat
    4 Reroll
    1 Apothecary (Or I would consider tempting fate and buying 2-3 Fan Factor, buying the Apothecary after the first match)

Maddoc on
  • Options
    npc.EXEnpc.EXE Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Gutter runners? Let me TELL you about Gutter Runners. I hate, HATE, those smug bastards.

Played skaven just the other day and a single gutter runner that was prone got up, dodged out then dodged into three tackle zones, picked up the ball in said tackle zones and then completed two more dodges to make a touchdown.

Gutter Runners are silly geese of the worst kind.

npc.EXE on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    It's stories like that, that make me love Skaven.

Also they have access to Mutations, albeit via doubles, and I love me some mutations.

I'm still sort of hoping we'll get Chaos Dwarves.

Those, at least, seem slightly more likely for Cyanide to add in than Slann, Underworld, and Chaos Pact. (Also I'm not really a big fan of the LRB6 teams, aside from the Slann they add very little to the game)

Maddoc on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Maddoc, I agree with that alternate roster. 4 Gutter Runners is kind of overkill, the Rerolls are useful because you'll be dodging your non-GR guys a lot. You also want the Linerats to get a chance at some SPP's, to grab some Block or Wrestle or Fend; the Gutter Runners will skill up fast enough as it is.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Wait, what? Chaos Dwarves aren't in? I honestly hadn't checked yet, but they were a team I wanted to try out as I had a lot of fun with them on FUMBBL.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    npc.EXE wrote: »
    Quick checkin... cruc and blitz is that 0-0 game valid?

I validate 3-0 in encores favor and I'll check again tomorrow morning.

Yes, although I forgot to take a screen of the final results.

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Kay wrote: »
    Wait, what? Chaos Dwarves aren't in? I honestly hadn't checked yet, but they were a team I wanted to try out as I had a lot of fun with them on FUMBBL.

And they are in the competition rules that Steam displays when right-clicking for the manual. I bet some players are getting confused that it's an unlockable team. :lol:

enc0re on
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    IS anyone waiting on me to play? I've been online but I haven't actually done the match yet.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm down for some open league games later tonight (6pm+ est). I'll check back in here when I get home. My coach name is krylon666 - I added all the coaches from the spreadsheet to my friend list.

krylon666 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I was unable to sub out my secret weapon players for standard goblins in a game.

I know that I have 4 extra goblins in my line up but there were no substitutions available.

kedinik on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    enc0re wrote: »
    Kay wrote: »

And they are in the competition rules that Steam displays when right-clicking for the manual. I bet some players are getting confused that it's an unlockable team. :lol:

They pretty much just pulled the LRB6 straight from the GW site without any alteration, which is why the Chaos Dwarves are still on there.

That said, according to Cyanide, the Chaos Dwarves exclusion was due to a "misunderstanding" between them and GW, so there is still a chance that they'll be patched in at a later date a la Dark Elves.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I hate it when they give MVP to the dead guy. Only blemish on an otherwise perfect game.

EDIT: Also, if your opponent disconnects, wait out the countdown. If you don't, it goes down as a loss. :/

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    so how would i go about tracking you guys down online >? I found the Dark Elf Edition at my local gamestop for 10 bucks, and havent' had a chance to play anyone online.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    edited November 2010
    Anyone up for a free league game?
    Draeven wrote: »
    so how would i go about tracking you guys down online >? I found the Dark Elf Edition at my local gamestop for 10 bucks, and havent' had a chance to play anyone online.

I think everyone has more or less switched over to legendary, but I know some people, at the very least those participating in the initial tournament, still own the Dark Elf edition, so it may be worthwhile trying to get ahold of them to play some games and see how you like it.

If you like it enough to spend more money on it, I believe you'll be able to get the 33% off discount for owning the DElf edition, http://shop.bloodbowl-game.com/promo/725185/840/

Which technically means that by finding the Dark Elf Edition for $10 you would have saved a few bucks over just buying the LE straight out.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Draeven wrote: »

They made the new edition and the Dark Elf one incompatible (even though they're running on the same servers!), so you might have trouble finding people to play with.

What do you guys think of Piling On before Mighty Blow on a Norse Berserker?

I think I'm leaning toward Mighty Blow despite the Jump Up.

Lykouragh on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Eh...I'm not thrilled about Piling On given that it removes your tacklezones since you're sitting on the ground.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Oh well thats poopy, i should look inot that 30% discount though the cyinide website.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    edited November 2010
    Aegis wrote: »
    Eh...I'm not thrilled about Piling On given that it removes your tacklezones since you're sitting on the ground.

being on the ground tends to be safer than standing for Norse Berserkers, since they have Frenzy, doubly so because they have Jump Up.

Piling On with Frenzy is absolutely wonderful, since it means the only thing they have to really fear is fouling, which won't happen too often especially at lower TV, and it involves another risk of turnover for the opponent.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Aegis wrote: »

being on the ground tends to be safer than standing for Norse Berserkers, since they have Frenzy, doubly so because they have Jump Up.

Piling On with Frenzy is absolutely wonderful, since it means the only thing they have to really fear is fouling, which won't happen too often especially at lower TV, and it involves another risk of turnover for the opponent.

Also gangfouling, on your best positional who has AV 7.

Also the Jump Up roll failing.

Obviously Piling On is very good on the Berserker, though.... I think I might try it PO first on one and MB first ont he other and see what happens.

Lykouragh on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I would actually probably take MB first anyway, but PO would absolutely be my second skill choice. No questions asked.

Despite the threat of gang fouls, being on the ground still limits the damage they can do to him, especially since he's forced to follow up on every block due to Frenzy. And at least if they need to foul him instead of blocking, not only is it once per turn but it's a risk of their player getting benched and causing a turnover as well.

Just basically don't let him frenzy too far off on his own so that you can't support him with your other players to prevent too much gang fouling.

EDIT: Actually, I suppose if I got a double then I would probably take Dodge asap because every little bit helps when you're rocking 7 AV.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Anyone around for a free league match?

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I'm up for a match

Maddoc on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I'm so bad at this game. Feels like there's just so much to learn about the different races.

Like, I'll be playing orcs and feeling pretty good until a norse team that has block on everyone stomps my combat-centric team.

kedinik on
  • Options
    Lionel-RichieLionel-Richie Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I would definitely read the player-made "steam" manual in addition to the one in the folder...cause the game gives you like no inkling of mechanics.

I learned so much after being critiqued on things I had no clue about.

Lionel-Richie on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I would definitely read the player-made "steam" manual in addition to the one in the folder...cause the game gives you like no inkling of mechanics.

I learned so much after being critiqued on things I had no clue about.

Where's the player made manual?

kedinik on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Er...I know it's in the steam store.

Lionel-Richie on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Not very familiar with Steam, had no idea where to look.

I think I found it, thanks.

e: I'm playing a guy who keeps re-rolling blocks, with 0 rerolls left.

Bad enough to get stomped when they're not breaking the game.

kedinik on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Is cheating that rampant? Ooorf.

Lionel-Richie on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I have almost 100% avoided matchmaking for that reason.

I've played fewer games, but I've also played fewer terrible games. :P

Maddoc on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Anyone want to play an open league game? I haven't played online yet, hopefully I'll survive :)

krylon666 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    krylon666 wrote: »
    Anyone want to play an open league game? I haven't played online yet, hopefully I'll survive :)

I'll play. Go ahead and challenge any of my PA teams.

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Anyone up for a PA open league game?

kedinik on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Me and Ketar have finished our Main League game. Well played, it was a damn chess-match, which is amusing given Ketar's choice of team logo for humans.

1-0 victory barely squeaked out given the ball's absolute refusal to bounce in a square that I would like. That and that stupid rock that injured my player off the kickoff :( Oh well, no permanent injuries.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Good game, krylon. Norsewolves aren't supposed to be able to pick up the ball every time they try, and getting two blitzes in a game is really lucky/unlucky. So don't expect most matches to go as unlucky for you as they did.

On the bright side, enjoy Karl the zombie. He was once an ancestor of a great peasant race.

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Is cheating that rampant? Ooorf.

I've got 90-some games played online, the vast majority through matchmaking, and I have yet to encounter a cheater...

Ketar on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Yeah man, good game - it was fun. I shouldn't have over extended myself. I didn't expect the norse to be as nimble as they were. I think I could have easily tied the game if I would've slowed down my offensive push. Oh well, good times - you won but paid for it in blood!

I don't think I had the option to get your guy as a zombie though, unless I missed it :(

krylon666 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    The whole raising mechanic is weird and iffy. Believe it's functioning by popping up a box after a game showing you a 'buy zombie', but ending up charging you nothing for it.

Aegis on
    Characters