As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MINECRAFT - Build to the sky, Dig to the depths. Join the masses.

• Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ein wrote: »
    So the Columbia site is the biggest pain in the ass to create on this new map. A flat field's simple enough, sure, but I'm trying to blend the edges of that field into the surrounding terrain now so it's not just a "LOL HERE IS A SQUARE PIT" type thing.

Just makes sure to obscure all straight lines before anything else. Dig into the hillside in weird patterns. Make sure that no one could draw out the path you took. After that, just lop off the tops of the hills until it is a normal-looking slope.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So the Columbia site is the biggest pain in the ass to create on this new map. A flat field's simple enough, sure, but I'm trying to blend the edges of that field into the surrounding terrain now so it's not just a "LOL HERE IS A SQUARE PIT" type thing.

Just make everything around it flat as well.

Have you been to Kansas? It's ALL flat. Of course it's not the most exciting either
    (but then again that's why you have Columbia there ;-))

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    100 square wide void top to bottom (so anyone who falls, falls and dies) with a wall of bedrock along the terrain to keep people from digging through the existing landmass into the void.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sipex wrote: »
    You can also destroy the bridge behind you and nobody would be the wiser.

Provided the admin doesn't teleport himself to every player regularly to check where they are.

Depends. With the tool he has is he able to view the map from above at any time? If so the path of generated terrain outside the border would be a bit of a hint.

That doesn't tell you who to ban though, just that it's happening.

I hope eventually there is a tool to look at players' data stored on your server, so that even people who log off out of bounds would still be viewable and bannable.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    SkyCaptain wrote: »
    100 square wide void top to bottom (so anyone who falls, falls and dies) with a wall of bedrock along the terrain to keep people from digging through the existing landmass into the void.

Skylands used to have a floor of lava. He removed it and replaced it with the abyss. It works well. When you fall, you die. In the lava floored one, I could ride water down and harvest obsidian and more. I even made a glass house over the lava floor.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    iamthepiemaniamthepieman Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I hope we can play in the chasm, just not on the other side of it.

I want to create an outcast city in the chasm. We will be the chaff of Colrapture, living on the scraps of the burgeoning city.

iamthepieman on
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I hope we can play in the chasm, just not on the other side of it.

I want to create an outcast city in the chasm. We will be the chaff of Colrapture, living on the scraps of the burgeoning city.

I'd be more interested in building a city on the side of the cliff overlooking the abyss.

Sipex on
  • Options
    CoolTrainerCoolTrainer Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Since nobody has ever really seen it and Ein is getting ready to switch up the server, I decided to take a quick screen shot of my master creation: Scrooge McDuck
    MinecraftArt-1.jpg?t=1285618931

I know it's not super impressive, but I just used sand, dirt, cobble and glass to make it, because I didn't want to waste anybody elses valuable resources. That being said, I'm happy with how it turned out.

CoolTrainer on
    League of Legends ID: Cloogr

3DS / Pokemon XY: 0774-5590-9276
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Thank god I didn't even try to farm obsidian for the pyramid. Regular rocks will have to do.

Couscous on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'd love to believe that if you told people not to go past the chasm then they just wouldn't as to not be giant assholes.

Winky on
  • Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    While the thought of just punching straight through the map and hanging Columbia over the abyss is awesome, I feel like Tim's fields below have become such a fixture for the damn city that I can't bear to remove them like that.

As-is, I have left a giant dent in the map with the floor about 43 above the bottom of the world, and about 20 below global water level, where I'm putting the columbia site in now. If I've guessed right, which I hope I have, there'll be a little more room for Columbia here.

Edit: I think we'll be gaining something like 15-20 blocks of vertical space when I'm done.

Ein on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Winky wrote: »
    I'd love to believe that if you told people not to go past the chasm then they just wouldn't as to not be giant assholes.

It is only human nature to press the big red button with "do not touch" all around it.

Couscous on
  • Options
    BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I think the point of the chasm would be to warn people who normally respect the rules that they have reached the end of where they should explore. It's not really to stop people who would willingly break the rules.

That being said, it doesn't really matter how deep or wide it is, or what it's made out of as long as it's obvious.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Actually, just checking, it looks like Columbia would gain 13 blocks - either to position itself higher above the field, or lower below the ceiling.

Is that enough? Do we need more?

Edit: I'm increasing it to 20 blocks of gained height. Do we want columbia higher in the air, to save Tim's farm and be more dramatic? Or lower with more headroom for building?

Ein on
  • Options
    samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Couscous wrote: »

It is only human nature to press the big red button with "do not touch" all around it.

Why would you have a do not touch sign around a button? It's counterproductive.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sipex wrote: »
    You can also destroy the bridge behind you and nobody would be the wiser.

Provided the admin doesn't teleport himself to every player regularly to check where they are.

Depends. With the tool he has is he able to view the map from above at any time? If so the path of generated terrain outside the border would be a bit of a hint.

Or even better, use an automated tool to count the .dat files in the world directory. (Not .dat_old though.) If someone has been exploring and causing new terrain to generate, more of those files will be created.

Apparently what I stated earlier about subdirectories was wrong. Each chunk is 16x16 and chunks rotate among 64 directories, so every time you travel 1024 blocks horizontally you'll be in a chunk in the same subdirectory as where you started. BUT you can still ease your backup woes while still letting people explore, by making a script that just backs up specific level files. You'd have to dump a list of all of the files into a text file, use a tool to generate a separate single-file copy command from each, and then run that several-hundred-line script every time you wanted to back up. But it would ONLY back up the chunks you care about.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ein! will the hills around the field be gentle enough for me to farm over? I want to have rolling fields of wheat.

Also I vote for moving Columbia higher. It would look better all over.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    edited September 2010
    Tim, the ground will be pretty level and regular right up until you hit the walls of the giant-ass boundary for columbia, at which point it will turn pretty sharply into mountain.

Ein on
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Couscous wrote: »

Why would you have a do not touch sign around a button? It's counterproductive.

The same reason you see doors with signs that read "Leave door closed at all times."

mrflippy on
  • Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Barrabas wrote: »
    I think the point of the chasm would be to warn people who normally respect the rules that they have reached the end of where they should explore. It's not really to stop people who would willingly break the rules.

That being said, it doesn't really matter how deep or wide it is, or what it's made out of as long as it's obvious.

This.

I want to know when I've reached the limit. I'm OCD enough to start digging a tunnel and not realize how far I've gone, a feat I've repeated numerous times in my own game. Give me a noticeable boundary and I'm set. Plus, I have to admit I want to see people's cities in/overlooking the abyss. Sounds pretty awesome.

AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    EnclaveEnclave Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Will Tim be allowed to throw some soil down to create rolling hills? If so, I'm sure there are people here who would be happy to help sculpt it in-game.

Enclave on
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ein I don't know if ya want to, but could you save that castle I started? I just got into it and would like to finish it!

its the one with a courtyard and 3 arches.

Thank ya darlin.

wakkawa on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Tim, the ground will be pretty level and regular right up until you hit the walls of the giant-ass boundary for columbia, at which point it will turn pretty sharply into mountain.

Good. If you only save the farm house and barn I'm okay. That will give me the chance to redesign the layout since I didn't do a very good job last time. I did two halves of farm seperatly and thus they didn't meet well when I got there.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Notch just did a Q&A with Reddit about the game. Link.

Interesting things out of this interview- Italics are questions
    IXISIXI- Are there plans to introduce epic monsters that might live deep underground?
    Yes. They will not be fair.

Rhkdmbd- Can you please add the ability to craft some kind of watch so I know when it is day/night?

Coming soon(tm)!

Unitconversion- Will we be able to build upon the boat to make massive ships?
    Maybe! I'm considering a craftable super entity made up of 16x16x16 blocks. The idea would be that you can use this to make huge doors, or boats, or elevators, or whatever else you can think of. I don't know if I'll be able to solve all the technical issues with it, but hopefully!

6. ToggleOff was curious what your ultimate direction for Minecraft is, Survival Single Player and and Multiplayer. Sombersunday had a follow up- Is it different then your original goal for MineCraft?
    The game seems to be staying somewhat close to the original vision. I'm going to spend time making single player and multiplayer even more integrated, to the point of you being able to invite friends directly into your single player game. I'm also most likely going to add some kind of narrative to the game so that the player has an actual goal. It might not be easy to accomplish this goal, but at least it will add some sense of direction. One aspect that's kind of evolved over the time, and still isn't in place, is the idea of competitive multiplayer with game modes like Capture The Flag or Team Furnace. These will appear when I add the modding support sometime during beta. I will implement one or two game modes as open source reference implementations, then we might possibly approach mod makers to include their mods into the official game.

Interesting stuff.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Inviting friends into your single player game is a great feature

Then I can show my friends all my kickass shit

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    6. ToggleOff was curious what your ultimate direction for Minecraft is, Survival Single Player and and Multiplayer. Sombersunday had a follow up- Is it different then your original goal for MineCraft?
    The game seems to be staying somewhat close to the original vision. I'm going to spend time making single player and multiplayer even more integrated, to the point of you being able to invite friends directly into your single player game. I'm also most likely going to add some kind of narrative to the game so that the player has an actual goal. It might not be easy to accomplish this goal, but at least it will add some sense of direction. One aspect that's kind of evolved over the time, and still isn't in place, is the idea of competitive multiplayer with game modes like Capture The Flag or Team Furnace. These will appear when I add the modding support sometime during beta. I will implement one or two game modes as open source reference implementations, then we might possibly approach mod makers to include their mods into the official game.

Interesting stuff.

Today, I was just thinking about a sort of capture the flag mode where players can try to break into the enemy's fort or try to dig through it, and you of course try to fight them off, capture their flag, and plug up holes.

Another idea I had was a lava race; each team has a wooden tower in the middle of their base. There's a big ol' volcano in the middle of the map. The goal is to be the first team to lava the other team's tower.

piL on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Blending the edges of a giant field with the surrounding terrain is like pounding nails into your dick with these editors. Jesus christ.

Ein on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Blending the edges of a giant field with the surrounding terrain is like pounding nails into your dick with these editors. Jesus christ.

Honestly, why don't you just leave the edges rough and let the players do what the like with them?

Winky on
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    piL wrote: »

Interesting stuff.

Today, I was just thinking about a sort of capture the flag mode where players can try to break into the enemy's fort or try to dig through it, and you of course try to fight them off, capture their flag, and plug up holes.

Another idea I had was a lava race; each team has a wooden tower in the middle of their base. There's a big ol' volcano in the middle of the map. The goal is to be the first team to lava the other team's tower.

Forts in these sorts of games always seemed a bit difficult to implement. It seems almost too easy to break into a fort if all you need is a pick. A few seconds later, there's a hole in the wall.

Unless the fort is preconstructed out of obsidian or something maybe.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

So stop. Let the players in game blend the surrounding terrain.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    UbuRoiAAUbuRoiAA Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm sorry, can you guys help me understand how do I join one of your cool server? Me and my friend, we want to buy the game and help you guys build epic stuff. But we kinda wish to be sure we're welcome somewhere beforehand. So, how does it work? Do I have to get one of those Steam account? Must I search past threads to find the IP? Do I just pray for an invitation in PM? Help me out!

UbuRoiAA on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    UbuRoiAA wrote: »
    I'm sorry, can you guys help me understand how do I join one of your cool server? Me and my friend, we want to buy the game and help you guys build epic stuff. But we kinda wish to be sure we're welcome somewhere beforehand. So, how does it work? Do I have to get one of those Steam account? Must I search past threads to find the IP? Do I just pray for an invitation in PM? Help me out!

You have to PM someone to ask for permission.

Winky on
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    mrflippy wrote: »
    piL wrote: »

Interesting stuff.

Forts in these sorts of games always seemed a bit difficult to implement. It seems almost too easy to break into a fort if all you need is a pick. A few seconds later, there's a hole in the wall.

Unless the fort is preconstructed out of obsidian or something maybe.

Yeah, definitely, but I think this is ok for the lava idea, since it's about getting stuff in the right place.

The idea I had to rectify that in a more long term would be a "cementing" ability, where players could make a limited number of blocks more permanent and much more difficult to break down. This might be a time consuming process, however.

piL on
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Keep in mind there are also traps. Water + torches + sand blocks == trap where a small input causes a LOT of sand to fall.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    newmap4.jpg

Tim's got a lot of farming to do.

Ein on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Here's what I was thinking for the platform

floatingcont.png

Delzhand on
  • Options
    EnclaveEnclave Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Ein, got to say you do good work.

Enclave on
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    *hugeimage*

I've already downloaded that map to my computer and am planning where to build.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    Ash-HousewaresAsh-Housewares TARDIS Hunter Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Since nobody has ever really seen it and Ein is getting ready to switch up the server, I decided to take a quick screen shot of my master creation: Scrooge McDuck
    MinecraftArt-1.jpg?t=1285618931

I know it's not super impressive, but I just used sand, dirt, cobble and glass to make it, because I didn't want to waste anybody elses valuable resources. That being said, I'm happy with how it turned out.

I still think you should have had Scrooge over the chest in pouncing cane pose. This still looks good. Now If I can figure out what to do with my tower.

Ash-Housewares on
  • Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    BRIDGES! I could build so many glorious roads and bridges!

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
This discussion has been closed.