Options

MINECRAFT - Build to the sky, Dig to the depths. Join the masses.

• Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Just as an aside, I am hugely impressed with MCEdit's ability to edit 50+ million blocks at a time.

Ein on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Question:

How do i fill buckets with fluids. Clicking doesn't appear to do anything =\

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Seeks wrote: »
    Noisymunk wrote: »
    Have you forgotten?

Half the fun of Legos is breaking your creation down to rubble to build newer and grander designs.

I'm looking forward to a fresh start. Currently, you can barely move in the hills around rapture/columbia without falling into someone's poorly marked and poorly excavated hole to the center of the earth.

That hole is fucking awesome.

Not that one, the other one.

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ein wrote: »
    Just as an aside, I am hugely impressed with MCEdit's ability to edit 50+ million blocks at a time.

Tell me about it. Doing some of the early prototyping for Vic's Underdark, I was able to copy / paste 77 million blocks without nary a hitch (and only took a couple of minutes).

Lighting....well that took a while longer :P

I just wish it was a little easier to use in certain spots.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    WitchdrWitchdr Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    Huh, I ran out of rock that I have mined and stuck into chests. I probably should have calculated how much stones a 30X30 pyramid would take to build. Or even that it was possible.

assuming you use a full layer for each step of the pyramid and you dont make it hollow it would be 9454
    blocks of stone (if you made the pyramid by doing 30x30 29x29 etc and it would stop at 2x2 assuming you want a square top)

Witchdr on
    "Look, all I know is that this cord was plugged into my house and your house was glowing like the freakin' sun. So, I put two and two together there and decided that you're pissing me off." -Carl Brutananadilewski

In regards to the advocates of his former empire: “I was going to have them all executed… the Royal Advocate talked me out of it.” -Shadowthrone (Emperor Kellanved)

Handles: LoL-Emerging, BF4/Hardline-Whiskeyjack227, Steam-Fragglerock, HOTS/Blizzard-Whiskeyjack#1333, Life-Jason
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Question:

How do i fill buckets with fluids. Clicking doesn't appear to do anything =\

Step 1: Make sure you're clicking with the right button, not left. Much like hoes.
    Step 2: Find the source block of water/lava. Flowing blocks that aren't the source will just disappear/refill without you getting any fluid. Source blocks are usually the non-moving tiles of liquid (for open bodies of water), or close to the exit point (for aquifers).

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    DiannoChong's server is apparently down.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Aegis wrote: »
    Oh god, why did I just get the idea that:

gamecus.jpg

Is something that needs to be built out of obsidian, complete with surrounding city-scape terrain.

IT'S A GAME CUBE! D:

rayofash on
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    DekuStick wrote: »
    Start from the bottom and fill up each block with water.

The easiest way I've found to fill a vertical rectangular volume is by filling the top layer and then digging out the floor under it. The game treats it as a waterfall, though, so anything that isn't straight down from the upper layer won't fill.

You could use a modified version of that approach on a sphere by cutting the top half off and filling the uppermost layer of the largest radius, then deleting the partition below it so that the fall will fill the lower half sphere. The best way to fill the top half will depend on the geometry of the sphere, but probably making a rectangular volume the height of the sphere radius and with an upper surface area the size of the sphere cap. The rest of the top half you'd have to fill a slice at a time. Let's see if I can illustrate this in ASCII side-view...
    VVVVVXXXVVVVV
    VVVXXXXXXXVVV
    VVXXXXXXXXXVV
    VXXXXXXXXXXXV
    VXXXXXXXXXXXV
    XXXXXXXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXXXXXXX   <=== spherical cross-section
    XXXXXXXXXXXXX
    VXXXXXXXXXXXV
    VXXXXXXXXXXXV
    VVXXXXXXXXXVV
    VVVXXXXXXXVVV
    VVVVVXXXVVVVV 

X___________X <- first layer filled with water/lava
    VXXXXXXXXXXXV <- second layer solid
    VXVVVVVVVVVXV
    VVXVVVVVVVXVV <=== lower half-sphere
    VVVXXVVVXXVVV
    VVVVVXXXVVVVV

Cut out the solid layer and you get a filled lower half sphere

VVVX_____XVVV <- cap filled
    VVXVXXXXXVXVV <- solid layer
    VXVVVVVVVVVXV
    VXVVVVVVVVVXV <=== upper half-sphere
    X___________X <- bottom half already full

Cut out the solid layer again and you get
    VVVX_____XVVV
    VVXV_____VXVV 
    VXVV_____VVXV 
    VXVV_____VVXV
    X___________X

Then repeat..ish

VVVX_____XVVV
    VVVV_____VVVV <- blocks removed to allow bucketing from above
    VX_________XV <- lava bucketed into a two-block-wide ring
    VXXXVVVVVXXXV <- block layer.  remove this after bucketing the ring into place to cascade into this level
    X___________X

The last step will be weird and complicated for a 3d sphere, but this method should save you a good bit more than 50% of the lava required to fill a full sphere one block at a time and I'm fairly sure it will work. I know it works for water but the weird lava physics may or may not screw it up. I'm not sure if a lava source block will fall into a void or create a vertical lava fall.

CptHamilton on
    PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Huh, I ran out of rock that I have mined and stuck into chests. I probably should have calculated how much stones a 30X30 pyramid would take to build. Or even that it was possible.

Assuming that you're doing a step pyramid, and if my calculations are correct (I made up a spreadsheet) then a 31x31 pyramid should take 5456 blocks if you fill it up entirely. That comes out to 86 stacks of of stone if you're doing layers that are 1 block high.

Edit: my calculations assume odd numbers, which let you have a 1 block top layer.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    your math is wrong.

1802 would be the 31x31 + 29X29. (31x31)+(30X30)=1802.

my math sucks too, but I get over 10k blocks for 31x31.

belligerent on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    mrflippy wrote: »

Assuming that you're doing a step pyramid, and if my calculations are correct (I made up a spreadsheet) then a 31x31 pyramid should take 1802 blocks if you fill it up entirely. That comes out to 29 stacks of of stone if you're doing layers that are 1 block high.

Bah i did forget that it would shrink by 2 per dimension when going up but still, howd you get 1800? if the first 2 layers are 30x30 and 28x28 then they would be 900 and 784

it should be 4960 i believe

Edit fixed for forgetting to delete old numbers

Witchdr on
    "Look, all I know is that this cord was plugged into my house and your house was glowing like the freakin' sun. So, I put two and two together there and decided that you're pissing me off." -Carl Brutananadilewski

In regards to the advocates of his former empire: “I was going to have them all executed… the Royal Advocate talked me out of it.” -Shadowthrone (Emperor Kellanved)

Handles: LoL-Emerging, BF4/Hardline-Whiskeyjack227, Steam-Fragglerock, HOTS/Blizzard-Whiskeyjack#1333, Life-Jason
  • Options
    iamthepiemaniamthepieman Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    There's no need to fill it up. You really just need 30x4+28x8+26x8 etc

iamthepieman on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Okay dudes. Decision time.

Leave the map shape as it is, without a boundary?

or cut it back, and draw in a 20-block wide Adminium chasm around all sides, so that when you hit the edge of the world you just fall into a giant bedrock pit.

Edit: With snow continent, now.

newmap3.jpg

Ein on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    now if you cheat and make it hollow and I assume you use 2 layers after the first as a stepping stone like the following:

.......[ ][ ]
    ....[ ][ ]
    [ ][ ]

Then 1800 even for a 30 base.

Witchdr on

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm filling it up. Pyramids are mostly solid stone with a few rooms.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    It was wrong because my spreadsheet didn't autofill the calculations correctly so it was only adding the previous volume rather than the total volume.

I'm getting 5456 for 31 with the new calculations.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

great minds think alike

Witchdr on

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

or cut it back, and draw in a 20-block wide Adminium chasm around all sides, so that when you hit the edge of the world you just fall into a giant bedrock pit.

Couldn't someone feasible build their way to the other side?

I say go for it though. It'll help keep size from getting bad.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Making a chasm is just telling me to build a bridge. I'm sure others feel the same way. Just saying that expansion will happen.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Witchdr wrote: »

great minds think alike

A solid pyramid is way more epic though.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

You should definitely put in gravel traps so it falls on people when they try to break in.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

You should definitely put in gravel traps so it falls on people when they try to break in.

conversely, I vote 'Fill it with lava'

Sipex on
  • Options
    iamthepiemaniamthepieman Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    trap some spiders in a dark chamber under the pyramid.

iamthepieman on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Kris_xK wrote: »
    Making a chasm is just telling me to build a bridge. I'm sure others feel the same way. Just saying that expansion will happen.

Except for the good of the server, it can't happen.

Having some sort of "end of the world" boundary in this case makes sense. It certainly won't stop those that are insistent on breaking the rules, but those people can always be "dealt" with 8-)

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I prefer a chasm, because as long as people understand that it's meant to be the boundery, most people will respect it. If somone fucks around it can be cleared easily. But try the gap first. there aren't many silly geese on any of the servers as far as I can tell.

belligerent on
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Thanks for the advice. I'll keep it in mind for future endeavors. I can't seem to get it to pan out for this one, though. I was trying to do something similar to what CptHamilton was describing. I don't think I had source blocks, though, unless the ones in the foundry in Columbia are source blocks. I'm not sure where I'd find enough of them to do what I need. If anyone wants to take a crack at it, feel free to do so. It's located in the giant cube-like structure I'm working on on the cliffside. After you jump off the blimp into the waterpool, it's to the back and left corner. Finally managed to snag a pic.

ball.png

Maybe I'll just fill it with ice or obsidian or something if it's still in its current state tomorrow.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I prefer a chasm, because as long as people understand that it's meant to be the boundery, most people will respect it. If somone fucks around it can be cleared easily. But try the gap first. there aren't many silly geese on any of the servers as far as I can tell.

Is there a standard spawn point for new players? If so, where? You can simply place signs around so people understand the rules.

Sipex on
  • Options
    EnclaveEnclave Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I think you know my vote. Make the chasm. It'll keep the view nice and be a very clear indicator saying "do not pass".

edit:

Also to the people saying to fill it with lava? No thanks. That's just begging for people to build obsidian factories at the edge.

Enclave on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Hmmm, maybe I will change it to a Mesoamerican pyramid with a tiny room at the top. That will probably add to the number of blocks required because there would be steps on both sides. I will probably have them four steps wide on each side.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    CarbonFire wrote: »

Except for the good of the server, it can't happen.

Having some sort of "end of the world" boundary in this case makes sense. It certainly won't stop those that are insistent on breaking the rules, but those people can always be "dealt" with 8-)

At least with a chasm, its pretty fucking obvious if someone has been exploring.

Too bad crouching making bridge building trivial now.

Kris_xK on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Put lava at the bottom of the chasm too, you need to stamp out anyone who attempts to pass through. If you fall down and are okay you think "Well, now that I'm down here I might as well build my way out on the other side." unless you are burnt to a crisp.

Sipex on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Don't use Lava at the bottom. Don't even put bedrock. Just leave it as the open space. Anybody who falls would die for sure.

Kris_xK on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You can also destroy the bridge behind you and nobody would be the wiser.

Provided the admin doesn't teleport himself to every player regularly to check where they are.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    You can also destroy the bridge behind you and nobody would be the wiser.

Provided the admin doesn't teleport himself to every player regularly to check where they are.

Depends. With the tool he has is he able to view the map from above at any time? If so the path of generated terrain outside the border would be a bit of a hint.

Sipex on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

I haven't built traps yet. Could I make it so that a pressure plate released the gravel from above? I will also need to find a way to get ingredients for TNT.

http://minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Traps
    This should be fun.

Couscous on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I hate this game so much. Now I want to take my idea of the game-cube bisecting a city and then build inside the obsidian game-cube a radically different environment than the surrounding city, and have a tiny artificial entryway for people to enter-exit.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Lava isn't hard to deal with. You just need to be cautious and ready to use stone to block off the source.

I don't think you fully apprehend the scope of the source.

lavaland.jpg

BLOCK THAT OFF, BITCH.

This looks like a nice place to build a summer home. And the view is wonderful. Wide open range for the dog to run around in. And the neighbors seem really nice.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    So the Columbia site is the biggest pain in the ass to create on this new map. A flat field's simple enough, sure, but I'm trying to blend the edges of that field into the surrounding terrain now so it's not just a "LOL HERE IS A SQUARE PIT" type thing.

Ein on
  • Options
    EnclaveEnclave Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Don't use Lava at the bottom. Don't even put bedrock. Just leave it as the open space. Anybody who falls would die for sure.

Agreed, if you put lava down there, again, people will use it for obsidian, least that's what I think would happen.

Enclave on
This discussion has been closed.