As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[INTERNET DATING] It's like video games, except not

• Options
    LeCausticLeCaustic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Few years ago, put an ad on a Craiglist-like site. Got a reply from a Malaysian woman. It was moderately-sarcastic if I remember right.

You had success on Craiglist? I tried it once, once, and I only got responses from spammers/scammers. :whistle:

LeCaustic on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Slider wrote: »
    So, for a few months I've been communicating with a couple of high school girls that I met on Stickam. I can see many ways of this ending very badly and very few ways of it ending well.

So.....stop?

Pellaeon on
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So, for a few months I've been communicating with a couple of high school girls that I met on Stickam. I can see many ways of this ending very badly and very few ways of it ending well.
    It can only end well (and legally) if you're below the age of consent (or they're above).

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    edited September 2010
    Pellaeon wrote: »

So.....stop?

Hahaha. Especially if they're not legal!

LeCaustic on
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    LearnedHandLearnedHand Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    LeCaustic wrote: »
    You had success on Craiglist? I tried it once, once, and I only got responses from spammers/scammers. :whistle:

Well, not Craiglist but like the UK version of Craiglist.

I think success (i.e. replies from human females interested in meeting up) very much depends where you're from with these ad sites. Major cities should be popular enough to get replies. New York, Chicago, Boston, Los Angeles...those should certainly get enough traffic. But I'm not so sure with even moderately-sized cities. Las Vegas, Seattle, Detroit...that sort of place, I can't vouch for such places. And small towns, forget it.

I just checked the New York section out. "Women seeking Men" is a good barometer. Looks like a fair few scams and sex ads but there's surely some real ones in there. This was the same with this Craiglist-like site I used.

Although, this does look less popular than the site I used. So if even New York doesn't have many ads, what chance the rest of the cities?

Let me see Chicago. Yeah, fewer than New York but some of these ads are definitely real. "Tall, bbw seeks you", "AVERAGE FEMALE LOOKING FOR A AVERAGE MAN", "Curvy, Voluptuous, BBW= ME", and a lot of chicks looking for nerdy guys (nerd seeks same, effectively). Those are real. Only a few sex ads and scams, actually.

So yeah, if you're in a big city it's worth a try. It's free, after all. Don't reply to the ads, though. Those women get hundreds of replies and it's just not worth your time.
    I like your stories LH, they are amusing.

Thanks. I know there's a silent majority who enjoys them. It's just the few loud detractors who try to spoil the fun.

LearnedHand on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Thanks. I know there's a silent majority who enjoys them. It's just the few loud detractors who try to spoil the fun.
    Oh they're amusing. Comments still stand though.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    LH stories are like episodes of Dharma and Greg

Joolander on
  • Options
    DracoGriffinDracoGriffin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Forar wrote: »
    Isn't there a famous quote to the effect of "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different outcome"?

Why?

No reason. Just curious.

2+2=4. Damn it.

2+2=4. Shhii...

2+2=4. WHAT OH COME ON.

2+2=4. This is just stupid!

2+2=4. I swear, eventually...

2+2=4...

Think it's best to use it properly rather than on openly variating situations.

It's not 'insane' to go out and ask every female you come across to "mate with you" but I'm sure eventually you'll find one willing. It's just 'crazy'. Although that could just be semantics...

DracoGriffin on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    Spacemilk wrote: »
    Speaking of sex and dating and relationships, what "milestones" do you guys typically expect things to happen?

I know this is an OKC question too, I think I currently have "6+ dates til sex" on mine. That's mainly because it depends on what you mean by "date" - I guess if I meet someone I really like, I don't want to be going on overly formal dates over and over before we decide to date. Ideally, I'd meet someone, go on one or two dates, then we'd start hanging out more casually. So when I say "6+ dates til sex" I mean, we need to hang out 6 or more times. And I definitely want to have had some kind of "relationship" talk (the whole "so what are we?!" question needs to be answered) before we have sex. I'm cool with seeing a guy who is going on dates with other people, but once we start to get really physical, I want things to be pretty exclusive.

yeah so uh how'd you guys answer that question and why?! I really want to hear a guy's point of view on this...

edit: also nocren, GOOD LUCK! :)

i guess i do things sort of opposite-y from you.

i am fine getting physical on the first or second date... but then i want to move to exclusivity. i am not okay having sex with someone who is having sex with someone else the next day. if i find out they're not the exclusive type, i'll probably not continue with them.

maybe that's an unreasonable method, i don't know- but sex is a natural part of attraction, for me.

i don't really mention that on the sites, though, because i guess it's hard to express that i'm not looking for a fuckbuddy or casual relationship.

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I always go by the "if you have to ask yourself if you should, then you shouldn't". But that's my OWN personal experience because others are completely oblivious. I had an instance with a girl where we hugged goodbye and as I'm turning our hands are still holding to the tips - I didn't kiss her there, mind you, because I just needed to know she did want to and that's definitely a sign. So, next day, I ask her out and park my car on the top floor of the parking garage overlooking the city and meet her at X place. As we're leaving, I exclaim "Oh, I forgot I got you something! It's in my car, I can drop you off at your car." Walk over, tell her to close her eyes and the rest couldn't of gone smoother.

I have to admit I would've swooned and I like to think myself pretty heterosexual.

[tiny]I'm not exactly sure why I was imagining myself to be the woman though.[/tiny]

DracoGriffin on
  • Options
    WyzerWyzer Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

They always remind me of Morris Wanchuk character in SlapShot.

Wyzer on
  • Options
    SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I just got a girl in my quiver that lists her location as near me but in her profile she says she's currently at school elsewhere, and reminds the reader several times. Ie: "Remember, I'm in <college town>, so don't message me unless you're near here."

Why not just change your location in your profile? Any guys looking around where you go to school won't find you and the guys that do find you are way the hell away.

I have seen this multiple times. It makes less and less sense each time.

Sevorak on
    steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Women, am I right, guys? Right? <elbow jab, jab> Ahaha.. ha... ha?

DracoGriffin on
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Over the past month:

So far, my success rate on the internet with people I dated in person: 0 for 3.
    So far my success rate in asking friends of friends and people in bars out for dates: 6 for 8.

Women especially can afford to be too picky on things that don't matter enough on the internet, and begin to feel entitled to the attention - because they're showered in it. Seek the real world, friends.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    retrovmretrovm Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    well that fell flat on it's face. lol

retrovm on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    kaliyama wrote: »
    Over the past month:

So far my success rate in asking friends of friends and people in bars out for dates: 6 for 8.

Women especially can afford to be too picky on things that don't matter enough on the internet, and begin to feel entitled to the attention - because they're showered in it. Seek the real world, friends.

I think it's more of the whole 'more fish in the sea' sort of thing. It's somewhat difficult to perceive when you're just doing your own thing and don't get too many snags.

Then you go on the internet and tons of dudes from all over message you then it's like, "Oh yeah, I can choose whoever I want!"

But yes, real life will always trend to higher successes. Easier to make a better first impression with a smile and wit and such instead of a cold, sterile picture and generic descriptor words.

DracoGriffin on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    kaliyama wrote: »
    Over the past month:

I agree. I've had much better success in real life vs internets and I can see why. If I'm 1 out of 100000 messaging a girl, what are my chances she'll reply/remember to reply? Whereas in real life, not every one of those guys (maybe 5/100000) are going to ask the girl.

LeCaustic on
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Sevorak wrote: »
    I just got a girl in my quiver that lists her location as near me but in her profile she says she's currently at school elsewhere, and reminds the reader several times. Ie: "Remember, I'm in <college town>, so don't message me unless you're near here."

Why not just change your location in your profile? Any guys looking around where you go to school won't find you and the guys that do find you are way the hell away.

I have seen this multiple times. It makes less and less sense each time.

Why not just message her and say that? Or "edit" her info. I agree..it's stupidly annoying.

Another annoyance? Girls that don't know their own age.... I've seen 3 profiles where they say they're "x" years old but the profile says "y". And it's not a 1 year difference, it's 3. And they do visit their site.

LeCaustic on
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Why is it easier to analyze other people's situations than your own?

I'm pretty sure this lady is putting out feelers but I'm completely stumped.
    For Halloween, she isn't going to be dressing up with her kids but 'would consider it if there were plans afterwards'. I mean... what?

Then she asks me for a picture... show her an old crappy one (no good recent ones :( ) and says nice picture. Followed by 'strange taking pictures of myself but always up for trying new things'.

I feel like I need to turn my mancard in. Reading too much into it?

Edit:
    We haven't even really talked that much or anything. Just seems really fish so soon.

DracoGriffin on
  • Options
    SpacemilkSpacemilk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Isn't there a famous quote to the effect of "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different outcome"?

Why?

No reason. Just curious.
    Except I did get a different outcome - so you might need either a new definition or a new word...

Spacemilk on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    retrovm wrote: »
    well that fell flat on it's face. lol

what did? bad date?

Joolander on
  • Options
    LucidLucid Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    How do you know, if it's a 'silent' majority?

Lucid on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Why?

No reason. Just curious.
    Except I did get a different outcome - so you might need either a new definition or a new word...

I don't think you were the reason, err, not reason he brought up that quote.

Pellaeon on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    So uh, wow. Totally different lady and she just gave me her number. First time talking to her.

Is this one of those women that the previous thread warned about on OKC?

DracoGriffin on
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So uh, wow. Totally different lady and she just gave me her number. First time talking to her.

Is this one of those women that the previous thread warned about on OKC?

From what I hear, some people don't mind doing the "getting to know you" on the actual date.

Zenitram on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, but usually you can weed out the stalkers and generally crazy in real life.

They can trick you online!

DracoGriffin on
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ahahaha. Sounds like something kids do in highschool
    Pretty much. Basically, if you're on a date and you're thinking to yourself "Should I do this?" and then you think "this is something that highschoolers would do" do not do it. Unless you are a highschooler. Then feel free to be as awkward as possible!

I always go by the "if you have to ask yourself if you should, then you shouldn't". But that's my OWN personal experience because others are completely oblivious. I had an instance with a girl where we hugged goodbye and as I'm turning our hands are still holding to the tips - I didn't kiss her there, mind you, because I just needed to know she did want to and that's definitely a sign. So, next day, I ask her out and park my car on the top floor of the parking garage overlooking the city and meet her at X place. As we're leaving, I exclaim "Oh, I forgot I got you something! It's in my car, I can drop you off at your car." Walk over, tell her to close her eyes and the rest couldn't of gone smoother.

Yeah if on an actual date you should just go with the flow. Unless you're totally awkward the opportunity will come. The only times I've really thought whether kissing a girl was a good idea was while I was being drunk in a bar chatting up a girl.

It's pretty fucked up actually. I can flirt with a girl and when on a date make out with a girl but the line between flirting and asking on a date is hard to cross. It's crazy, I know when a girl likes me but I still manage to fuck it up completely.

Julius on
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So I seem to be striking out constantly since I started back on Okcupid. I write a cute message, send it to a girl, she checks my profile and I get bubkiss back.

You think someone could give me profile a looksee again to see if there's any glaring problems?

I'll be in your debt forever!

Jokerman on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    those two pics of you in front of that postered wall are your worst pics

make one of your other ones the primary

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Organichu wrote: »

Really? They killed all the other ones in my best face.

Hmmmm...

Jokerman on
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah you look like a serial killer in that second pic. Delete it and replace with a different one where you don't have sunglasses on.

Zenitram on
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

If you're over the age of 20, you are fucking creepy and I don't even know what to say about this other than that's fucking creepy.

Otherwise, carry on.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

If you're over the age of 20, you are fucking creepy and I don't even know what to say about this other than that's fucking creepy.

Otherwise, carry on.

Yeah

to-catch-a-predator-240x300.jpg

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    edited September 2010
    Zenitram wrote: »
    Yeah you look like a serial killer in that second pic. Delete it and replace with a different one where you don't have sunglasses on.

ok, picture replaced.

I'll take some new ones once my shoulder heals up.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Jokerman wrote: »

Hmmmm...

those two make you look like you have goiter, dude

i'd recommend nixing 'em

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    yeah, the current main pic with the red shades is nice

Organichu on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So i'm going to be meeting that same girl I talked about a while back sometime next week.

It's very bizarre, because every time we meet up things go extremely well; she's very into me, has made that clear and she tells me time goes by so fast when she's around me, but she's also dating someone else and seems pretty content with it as well. She's been dating this dude on and off for a while. She did say that the guy wants to settle down more and she doesn't want any of that right now, so there's also that.

I don't want to be the rebound guy or anything, but man this would be a lot of fun if it worked out. I guess I shouldn't expect too much, just be myself and stop trying to control things. Whatever happens happens.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Hmmmm...

those two make you look like you have goiter, dude

i'd recommend nixing 'em

I'm going to photoshop my head onto godfathers body.

Edit: Holy fuck, I took your suggestion 'Nichu and I immediatly got a view by the most amazing woman evah.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Zenitram wrote: »

ok, picture replaced.

I'll take some new ones once my shoulder heals up.

Hey now, I've heard serial killers can be very sexy, it was on some showtime documentary recently.

Pellaeon on
  • Options
    SpacemilkSpacemilk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Godfather wrote: »
    So i'm going to be meeting that same girl I talked about a while back sometime next week.

It's very bizarre, because every time we meet up things go extremely well; she's very into me, has made that clear and she tells me time goes by so fast when she's around me, but she's also dating someone else and seems pretty content with it as well. She's been dating this dude on and off for a while. She did say that the guy wants to settle down more and she doesn't want any of that right now, so there's also that.

I don't want to be the rebound guy or anything, but man this would be a lot of fun if it worked out. I guess I shouldn't expect too much, just be myself and stop trying to control things. Whatever happens happens.
    It's not so bad to be the rebound, as long as both of you know you're the rebound and neither of you take it too seriously. But if you know you aren't interested in that, then you should probably shoot this girl down now. It's not worth it to let it go to long and end up with one of you (probably you, since you don't want to be a rebound) getting hurt.

Also Joker, I literally just opened your profile and I noticed the first sentence says "I like to life life" when I think you mean "live". I'll try to do a better review later when I have more time.

Spacemilk on
This discussion has been closed.