As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo Sept. 29 Conference Thread: 3DS in Feb./March 2011, Gameboy VC, and more!

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I just noticed the ring around Snake in the 3DS pic. Isn't that from 4? Maybe it wont be just a straight port.

You're serious?

You're really serious.

I mean like everything about the graphics has been reworked. Everything.

But yes, as far as I know there will be gameplay additions from the forth/two portables and the story will have some additions as well.

C2B on
  • Options
    Jelly JigglerJelly Jiggler Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    C2B wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Isn't Snake Eater pretty much just a strait port though? I suppose I haven't been following it, so maybe not.

Snake Eater has the most differences of all of them:
    1276659917486.png

I just noticed the ring around Snake in the 3DS pic. Isn't that from 4? Maybe it wont be just a straight port.

I believe it was in 4 but it seems more similar to the one on peace walker which if I'm not mistaken the peace walker team is making mgs 3ds

Jelly Jiggler on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/10/01/3ds_software/
    Nintendo and its third parties shared names and details for a number of 3DS games at the Nintendo Conference 2010 press briefing earlier this week, but not a single game was listed with a price. So how much will we have to pay for these newfangled 3D games?

CEO Satoru Iwata addressed this issue during a Q&A session at a recent investors briefing. Said Iwata, "We don't believe that the world is in a state where high priced software will sell well, so we don't believe it will be in a price range too far off from current DS software."

This comes despite Iwata's expectations that 3DS software could span a whole range of development budgets, from the same cost as current DS games to extremely rich software that costs far greater than DS games. Nintendo does believe that because of this "dynamic range" of software development budgets, there could be some variance in software costs.

So $40, which is pretty much what everyone was expecting

I don't really see how you're getting that. It seems like even a bigger leap than automagically assuming that the hardware will be $300 despite nintendo's history of charging more in japan

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Schwhat wrote: »
    I made some better RE:TM vs RE5 comparison shots, because IGN is super lazy since The_Spaniard left IGN.

Very nice work.

P.S. I worked very hard when I was there.. :oops:

Fixed. Feel happy now?

After looking at the screenies and that game release date. I'm getting a sense of WKC deja vu all over again. I will be strong and wait for the cool games to come out before thinking of purchasing a 3DS.

Yes, considering I was the one in the office every day at 7AM, an hour before everybody else, and then at times would stay till midnight by myself working on shit for the site, before being let go for.. "Not working hard enough." Or were you just mocking me?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/10/01/3ds_software/
    Nintendo and its third parties shared names and details for a number of 3DS games at the Nintendo Conference 2010 press briefing earlier this week, but not a single game was listed with a price. So how much will we have to pay for these newfangled 3D games?

CEO Satoru Iwata addressed this issue during a Q&A session at a recent investors briefing. Said Iwata, "We don't believe that the world is in a state where high priced software will sell well, so we don't believe it will be in a price range too far off from current DS software."

This comes despite Iwata's expectations that 3DS software could span a whole range of development budgets, from the same cost as current DS games to extremely rich software that costs far greater than DS games. Nintendo does believe that because of this "dynamic range" of software development budgets, there could be some variance in software costs.

So $40, which is pretty much what everyone was expecting

I don't really see how you're getting that. It seems like even a bigger leap than automagically assuming that the hardware will be $300 despite nintendo's history of charging more in japan

See bolded quote. DS games are $35.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    DS games run between twenty and forty dollars.

Most Nintendo releases are $35. If they have a pack in they are $40.

Most Square Enix games are $40.

Most Atlus games are $30.

Lots of budget titles are twenty to thirty, and most aren't even worth that.

$20 is pretty rare for a new game. I couldn't say if $35 or $30 is the most common. I'd probably lean towards $35 though.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    DS games run between twenty and forty dollars.

Most Nintendo releases are $35. If they have a pack in they are $40.

Most Square Enix games are $40.

Most Atlus games are $30.

Lots of budget titles are twenty to thirty, and most aren't even worth that.

$20 is pretty rare for a new game. I couldn't say if $35 or $30 is the most common. I'd probably lean towards $35 though.

Right, I was refering to the majority of them being $35 :P And obviously when I say "$40" for 3DS I'm refering to the average as well (god knows Square-Enix will probably charge $50 or something)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    $35 is definitely the average price of most games you'd actually want to play.

$30 might be the most common price point though.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Marvelous Would Like To Bring Muramasa: The Demon Blade To Nintendo 3DS
    In a recent interview with Marvelous Entertainment, Siliconera touched upon a range of subjects, from the company’s future to its Nintendo 3DS line-up in the coming years.

During the interview, we asked Group Manager of Marvelous Entertainment Inc., Tomio Kanazawa, what he thought of a Nintendo 3DS re-release of Muramasa: The Demon Blade, pointing out that the game could benefit from the system’s stereoscopic 3D effect.

“That’s a pretty good idea! That is one of the many things we think our fans want, and we want to provide to them,” he replied. “We at Marvelous Entertainment want to continue to meet and exceed the expectations from our fans as we continue to bring them new experiences.”

Additionally, Marvelous also confirmed to us that they are presently working on “several” Nintendo 3DS titles. Two of these are Animal Resort and a new Harvest Moon game.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You just reminded me that i have to get Muramasa.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Marvelous Would Like To Bring Muramasa: The Demon Blade To Nintendo 3DS
    In a recent interview with Marvelous Entertainment, Siliconera touched upon a range of subjects, from the company’s future to its Nintendo 3DS line-up in the coming years.

During the interview, we asked Group Manager of Marvelous Entertainment Inc., Tomio Kanazawa, what he thought of a Nintendo 3DS re-release of Muramasa: The Demon Blade, pointing out that the game could benefit from the system’s stereoscopic 3D effect.

“That’s a pretty good idea! That is one of the many things we think our fans want, and we want to provide to them,” he replied. “We at Marvelous Entertainment want to continue to meet and exceed the expectations from our fans as we continue to bring them new experiences.”

Oh please god let this be true, Muramasa is awesome incarnate.

Road Block on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    the majority of Nintendo's "Touch Generation" titles start at 20.00.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Stand, Killer QueenStand, Killer Queen Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    C2B wrote: »
    Isn't Snake Eater pretty much just a strait port though? I suppose I haven't been following it, so maybe not.

Snake Eater has the most differences of all of them:
    1276659917486.png

Holy shit.

First purchase for 3DS. Right here. Second will be RE5 as I love me some RE and 5 portable? Crazy. If you tried to convince me RE5 would get put on a portable with comparable performance, I would have call you retarded and possibly smacked you in the mouth.

I hate how expensive this thing is going to be. But I'll still look for a way. Nintendo keeps making fantastic decisions. Make great on console sales, continue to dominate handheld market. Throw the console a few bones (let's face it they could stop making games for it and still come out like kings) focus on destroying the handheld market before cheap, shitty flash games really take off on smartphones. I don't even care if these are mostly ports. Strong port line up to introduce, great original substance following behind within a year. Feels good.

Stand, Killer Queen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Neither of the two announced RE games are RE 5.

One is based off of mercenaries from RE4 and RE5.

The other just kinda looks like RE5 and looks to take place on a boat.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    Stand, Killer QueenStand, Killer Queen Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Well... I haven't done the research. But that's... actually good news. It won't be an exact replica, but something similar and giving a similar experience. Perfect for the portable market. I imagine, in that case, it's shorter. But hey, Looks worth it to me. Then again I'll make excuses for even the most terrible RE games. (except Outbreak)

Stand, Killer Queen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    A game not being RE 5 is definitely good news.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    A game not being RE 5 is definitely good news.

Frownin' at you from over here

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    What sucks about the RE games is I'm not sure if I want either of them.

Revelations looks great, but after RE5, I really just want it to have co-op, which they haven't announced yet as far as I know. What we've seen so far doesn't make me optimistic-- it looks like you either switch between characters at certain points, or pick one and play through like in the older games. If it's good enough maybe this won't matter, but I think I'll miss playing two player no matter what from now on.

The Mercenaries has co-op, but I don't think a score attack game alone is enough to warrant a purchase from me, so if there's no story mode then I'm not really interested in that either.

Both of them will depend on the amount of content, I guess. Extra content like finding the medallions and unlocking costumes (and achievements) made RE5's single player for me, so if there's a lot of things like that I might not be able to resist.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Gonna make another post here.

I think MGS3D looks bad. Technically, it is very impressive. The model and environment detail seem quite a bit higher than the original, and RE: Revelations even, and I think the game will work really well in 3D.

But they sure did ruin the art direction. I hope it's just because they threw it together quickly, but Snake Eater was a much prettier game than the MGS3D trailer. Even though it's one of my favorite games (which I happily bought twice), I'm not interested in buying a new version if it's just going to look bland and have worse controls. Even if it is in 3D.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Revelations looks great, but after RE5, I really just want it to have co-op, which they haven't announced yet as far as I know. What we've seen so far doesn't make me optimistic-- it looks like you either switch between characters at certain points, or pick one and play through like in the older games. If it's good enough maybe this won't matter, but I think I'll miss playing two player no matter what from now on.

I'm the opposite. RE5's co-op was fun, but I much prefer the single player REs.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Gonna make another post here.

I think MGS3D looks bad. Technically, it is very impressive. The model and environment detail seem quite a bit higher than the original, and RE: Revelations even, and I think the game will work really well in 3D.

But they sure did ruin the art direction. I hope it's just because they threw it together quickly, but Snake Eater was a much prettier game than the MGS3D trailer. Even though it's one of my favorite games (which I happily bought twice), I'm not interested in buying a new version if it's just going to look bland and have worse controls. Even if it is in 3D.

It looks pretty much the same to me? Other than the lack of a Vaseline filter

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    From what I can tell of the screen, MGS3DS looks far worse than the PS2 game. I'm not up on all the fancy technical stuff, and I know it's gonna be all 3D and shit, but in my opinion the PS2 screen looks better.

Sangheili91 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

I'm the opposite. RE5's co-op was fun, but I much prefer the single player REs.

The thing for me is, I almost always play RE games with other people anyway. I've never been too interested in them when playing alone, but they're always super entertaining to play with other people. But it was always just taking turns and helping each other solve puzzles and whatever. So for me, co-op was a step forward, and I don't want to go back.

I do think the design would benefit from being more like the old games in terms of puzzles and horror. The Lost in Nightmares DLC was exactly what I wanted from a RE game, only it needed to be 20 times longer and have more than one enemy type.

They seem to be claiming Revelations is going to be more horror than action, which makes me want co-op that much more!!

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    RE4 just had the horrible luck to be released way too early.

Just think how much more awesome things would be right now if we were waiting for RE4 on 3DS and Leon in in MvC3.

The Mercenaries game doesn't look enough like 4 to count. I'd only be interested in it if that changes.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    From what I can tell of the screen, MGS3DS looks far worse than the PS2 game. I'm not up on all the fancy technical stuff, and I know it's gonna be all 3D and shit, but in my opinion the PS2 screen looks better.

How so?

Like, does it look too pixellated or something? Because that's probably at least partially because yer computer screen is bigger than the screen on the 3DS.

I initially thought that the visuals for Kid Icarus Uprising were of low quality, until I saw it at a properly small size.

Enlong on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hmm. Slightly above PS2 graphics from what I can tell (though that RE:Merc game looks really good). Though these are just first gen games and we know that by the end it'll look better, but I hope we get some really good looking games. The DS's 3D is just plain UGLY. I don't know if I can take another 4 years of that. :P

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I like the DS's 3D!

It's got a certain primitive charm to it that reminds me of my days on an N64

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Reynolds wrote: »
    RE4 just had the horrible luck to be released way too early.

Just think how much more awesome things would be right now if we were waiting for RE4 on 3DS and Leon in in MvC3.

The Mercenaries game doesn't look enough like 4 to count. I'd only be interested in it if that changes.

5 was a let down in pretty much every way unless you were expecting an evolution into a Generic shooter.

I would enjoy a return to form even if it's a mercanaries style challenge game at heart.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You see you'd be wrong then. I've seen it in person and it doesn't translate well to basic screenshots, it is meant to run in 3D and looks crisper in 3D in person, but jaggy in screens. When it is in 3D that jaggyness is smoothed up. Besides when looking at the right images you can easily tell.

ps2vs3dscopy.jpg

The 3DS version has more advanced lighting, custom shaders, bump/real mapping, sharper textures, and higher polygon counts on characters.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The character model definitely looks better, but I think that's partly because it was lifted from Peace Walker. The environments looked a little more sparse in the trailer, but not enough to alarm me. I will not be the least bit disappointed if the best-looking game on PS2 looks a bit worse on a handheld. (The only thing in the trailer that bothered me was the lack of camouflage. To me, MGS3 Snake was all about camo. The fact that they had him in a generic sneaking suit was strange.)

I'm also hoping that RE: Revelations is a classic-style RE. Good old tank controls, an inventory box, wooden dialogue delivered in an awkward manner, and slow, plodding zombies. Fuck yeah. I doubt we'll get one, but...

Rex Dart on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Rex Dart wrote: »
    The character model definitely looks better, but I think that's partly because it was lifted from Peace Walker. The environments looked a little more sparse in the trailer, but not enough to alarm me. I will not be the least bit disappointed if the best-looking game on PS2 looks a bit worse on a handheld. (The only thing in the trailer that bothered me was the lack of camouflage. To me, MGS3 Snake was all about camo. The fact that they had him in a generic sneaking suit was strange.)

I'm also hoping that RE: Revelations is a classic-style RE. Good old tank controls, an inventory box, wooden dialogue delivered in an awkward manner, and slow, plodding zombies. Fuck yeah. I doubt we'll get one, but...
    Lifted from Peace Walker? Think again.

MetalGearPortableComparison.jpg
    The base model may have been, but that clearly shows that the 3DS Snake looks a fair bit better. Trust me in person it looked phenomenal. Just try looking at it in motion at least on any of the youtube videos.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I hate the new snake model. He looks like his face was chiseled out of plastic.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Rex Dart wrote: »

No, they weren't. Peace Walker models were far more low poly. They were even worse than the PS2 version. Just look at any screenshot.

Also the enviroment looks BETTER by far. Maybe not at all points but you can't tell me that in this screenshot
    1276659917486.png

The enviroment doesn't look better than the PS2 version. Just because of the effects and also because the bridge itself looks far more detailed.

NINJA'D

Damnit

C2B on
  • Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that 3DS Snake = PW Snake. I meant that 3DS Snake uses PW Snake as a base, rather than MGS3 Snake. Snake Snake Snake.

And yeah, those screen shots demonstrate it pretty clearly. Snake's wrinkles, beard growth and bandana creases are all exactly the same (although, granted, with better lighting and shading, and in 3D).

This wasn't a criticism. Game looks great. I'm just eager to see more MGS3 elements.

Rex Dart on
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I just want a fucking awesome Animal Crossing.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »
    I like the DS's 3D!

The N64 days were TERRIBLE days of 3D graphics. Even when I was a kid I knew that.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    urahonky wrote: »
    I like the DS's 3D!

The N64 days were TERRIBLE days of 3D graphics. Even when I was a kid I knew that.

Playstation was way worse though. Playing Banjo Tooie on my 360 is actually pretty enjoyable.

C2B on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    urahonky wrote: »
    I like the DS's 3D!

Yeah, I know

But it's a nostalgia thing

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I just want a fucking awesome Animal Crossing.

I just want one that isn't basically a port.

Couscous on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I want Jagged Alliance 3 on 3ds. Out of left field I know, but I would actually like to see some more strategy games(RTS, Tactical Strategy), The stylus is almost the same as a mouse, and the fact that they could use the analog nub to move the camera and the d-pad to give specific orders. Face buttons with D-pad giving specific orders rather than moving could open up 3ds for more genres such as Tactical Strategy games, Rts genre games, even tactical squad shooters like Rainbow six. Honestly the DS right now is better for shooter and strategy games more than PSP could ever be, but I think the hardware isn't good enough.

Kadoken on