As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Berserk Series!

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Agh I love Berserk, can't wait. Hopefully they don't change anything. Silver Hawks arc was pure excellence

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So... i've read a bunch of Berserk but I stopped reading sometime after the middle eastern-like guy who posseses animals. Has it picked up since then? Would it be worth gorging on Berserk in one go to make it easier to get through that arc?

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The outtakes on the DVDs sealed the deal on this show always being up there on "the list" for me.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    So... i've read a bunch of Berserk but I stopped reading sometime after the middle eastern-like guy who posseses animals. Has it picked up since then? Would it be worth gorging on Berserk in one go to make it easier to get through that arc?

I'm assuming you're referring to Ganishka, who had taken over the Kingdom of Whateverthefuck.

That has ended, but it hasn't advanced much beyond it.

metaghost on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I still dont get if old griffith that is now a demon is the same as the new griffith who is now jesus or something? Are they the same? Are they different? Did he meld with the aborted demon baby?

Barcardi on
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Barcardi wrote: »
    I still dont get if old griffith that is now a demon is the same as the new griffith who is now jesus or something? Are they the same? Are they different? Did he meld with the aborted demon baby?

it was a special once every millennium type thing, I believe, where a member of godhand gets to take on a human form and actually be on the human plane

part of that involved melding with aborted demon baby I think

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm hoping things will get more focused when they finally get to Elfhelm and Casca (hopefully) gets to be her old self again. It's a better read if you follow it in large sized chunks, but the Japanese readers are probably burned out a bit by now with all the meandering story and delays.

"2 months of waiting and all we get is 7 pages of Guts killing demonic Jack Sparrow knock-offs?"

Also, is it just me, or did the quality of the drawing go down a bit?

OldSlacker on
  • Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've only watched the anime, but it was GD amazing. I remember renting all 6 volumes and watching them over the course of one or two days. I was so disappointed at the end that I had to look up which volumes I missed, then was even more disappointed when I found out I didn't miss any. The prospect of moving that story along has got me drooling.

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You didn't like Wyald? Get the fuck out of my thread. :x

He's a rapist monkey-man, for crying out loud (man, there really are a lot of rapists in Berserk)! And his whole storyline is basically filler. That said, I would not object to him being included in the new anime for accuracy's sake, but I think they did well in excluding him in the original, as it wouldn't have made much sense.

Although I was initially down on the series gradually introducing more and more supernatural elements, I think they're done really well for the most part. Stylistically, it has more in common with ancient folklore and mythology than all-out fantasy, and it works well with the series' horror roots.

Generally I think the manga has been excellent, even the entire Millennium Falcon arc. Though the whole inquisition storyline is probably the coolest part, since it has...

THIS FUCKING GUY

c6.jpg

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I need to read Berserk. It seems like a Demon's Souls manga, multiplied by Vinland Saga. I watched around five episodes of the anime and then got distracted and never picked it back up again.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I am pretty happy.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    manjimanji Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    mrdobalina wrote: »
    Wasn't this a Dreamcast game?

A pretty damn good, and underrated Dreamcast game yes. I still have my copy. Also there was another even better PS2 game released that I would give my left testicle for a US release. I actually even WENT up to the publisher at E3 the year it came out and BEGGED them for localization. No dice. ;(
    sidhaethe wrote: »
    Is this a do-over of the first in the vein of Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, or more of a "later on in the timeline"/sequel sort of thing?
    Don't know yet, I'm betting even money on do-over. If it wasn't a do-over they couldn't just slap Puck into it like you see in one of those screens, because he was oddly cut from the original series, along with the Skull Knight.

yeah, the DC game is really good. you have fists, a rapid fire hand crossbow and a comically oversized sword. you're forced to fight tactically into the cities, luring mobs into areas wide enough for you to be able to swing the damn thing without it bouncing off walls...

manji on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I played the PS2 game, and it is a LOT better than Sword of the Berserk. That said, the game was still remarkably well-produced, despite the shaky graphics/animation. It felt like a new volume, almost. Really cool story, great voice acting (with Cam Clarke as Puck and Michael Bell as Guts!), and another stunning Susumi Hirasawa soundtrack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWXIQN7b9hw

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So, I just gotta pop the question

Will there be animated horse dicks?

On a more serious note. I can't wait to see Guts bereserk rage in his armor animated.

C2B on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Tarranon wrote: »
    Barcardi wrote: »

it was a special once every millennium type thing, I believe, where a member of godhand gets to take on a human form and actually be on the human plane

part of that involved melding with aborted demon baby I think

Although as the end of the fight against Ganishika shows, no matter what he looks like on the outside, he is still completely God Hand Griffith.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    LucidLucid Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This is great news. I'm looking forward to seeing Serpico animated(my personal favorite character).

Lucid on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    metaghost wrote: »
    Nappuccino wrote: »

I'm assuming you're referring to Ganishka, who had taken over the Kingdom of Whateverthefuck.

That has ended, but it hasn't advanced much beyond it.

That sounds right... my main problem with it was the lack of variety in the animals- they all had the same teeth and mouth where as previously there were tons of bat-shit crazy designs that made almost everything Guts fight unique and iconic (i guess the "fairies" were similar but those things were legitimately terrifying).

If they're back on track with some interesting stuff (even if its filler) i would love to pick it back up. But that whole arc just bored me.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I love Berserk so much. It's the essential dark fantasy.

That said, I remember getting burned out a bit on the manga (stopped around volume 29ish?). If the story got back to its root arc I think it'll be really beneficial. The wandering nature of the plot lines made a lot of the original thrust of the series lose its significance.

EDIT:

Also, Judeau:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUFeBqe9Hu0

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    But Guts has to kill everyone

Nappuccino on

• Options
    LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Berserk is, to this day, the only anime that has made me pick up the manga.

The thing I dig the most about Berserk is the grounding in reality that the first part of the manga (and the series) has. Not only does it give a pretty reasonable explanation for why he uses anime sword of bigness, he also shows what an anime sword of bigness would do to actual people (less the cutting through that occurs in later stories, but actually crushing people to death with it). It's a shame it's been years and years of, essentially, filler in the managa. I wonder if Berserk's author understands what he has on his hands.

LibrarianThorne on
  • Options
    JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Saw this thread dated Sep 27, 2010 that explains why the rumours are percolating.

http://www.mania.com/new-berserk-anime-project-underway_article_125389.html

Supposedly
    the latest volume of the Berserk manga by Kentaro Miura in Japan has a wraparound/obi on it that indicates that a new anime project is in the offing for the property.

If Duke Nukem Forever can finally get released, then this too shall pass.

Jakarrd on
    Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

The thing I dig the most about Berserk is the grounding in reality that the first part of the manga (and the series) has. Not only does it give a pretty reasonable explanation for why he uses anime sword of bigness, he also shows what an anime sword of bigness would do to actual people (less the cutting through that occurs in later stories, but actually crushing people to death with it). It's a shame it's been years and years of, essentially, filler in the managa. I wonder if Berserk's author understands what he has on his hands.

What? I mean how is that Filler. Yes, it extremly slow but most of it has been plot relevant in several ways. Hell,one of the main plotpoints of the series started fairly late when Guts got the Berserk armor.

C2B on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Bad ass! Though I wonder just how far they'll go what with all the rape, mutilation and other shit that's in the manga.

Still, bad ass!

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    YESSS

Finally a reason to start watching Anime again.

Also
    Berserk is my goreahol

This.

I'm not into gory stuff, but Berserk is the special exception for me. The first time I cracked open one of the mangas at Borders all I could think was 'Holy shit what is wrong with Kentarō Miura?' And by the time I got to the Retribution Arc all I could think was 'Holy shit this is awesome. What is wrong with me?'

Havelock on
  • Options
    ZealotZealot Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Zealot on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Filler? What was filler?

The recent stuff with the pirates... kinda, I guess. I could see how that would be maddening if you're reading it one chapter every 3 months or whatever, but reading it all at once it's fine. It seems like he's been putting out chapters more often lately, so hopefully he can get back to a more regular schedule.

Once a month is probably too much to hope for, but maybe bi-monthly?

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    Music wasn't my cup of tea, but that was a really nice montage.

Echo on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Some Guy wrote:
    I'd be interested in checking out the anime, but I've seen the manga, and it looks like the artist drew it with his asscheeks.
    You are absolutely high, the Manga is masterfully drawn.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Watching Berserk with friends was a great experience.

I HAVE TO KEEP KILLING UNTIL THE VOICES STOP!

The bloopers, oh god, the bloopers!

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    NO WAI

THEY ARE FINALLY GOING TO FINISH IT

goddamit yesss

Shurakai on
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Some Guy wrote:
    I'd be interested in checking out the anime, but I've seen the manga, and it looks like the artist drew it with his asscheeks.
    And strangely enough the anime was animated like ass most of the time.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Some Guy wrote:

Could you possibly think of any reason he would say that?

Also I'll be updating the thread with the new videos as they come. That's right, for those of you that don't know, 3 more mini trailers are going to be released.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Well, in the first couple of volumes, some of the art looks a bit weird and awkward compared to later on (the cover of vol. 3 for instance), but even then calling it bad is something of a stretch. There's still a lot of magnificent art in there.

Cherrn on
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Some Guy wrote:

The anime was very low budget, niche market and all.

It's a testament to the story that people love it as much as they do despite this.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    BandableBandable Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, the anime's quality was par at best. I wince sometimes when I am watching it with a friend... of course I am grinning with glee at the same time because of the story, so it is a funny contradiction.

Bandable on
  • Options
    HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Going from the hyper-detailed scenes of battle of the manga to the "I chopped fives dudes in half and there's a ton of red everywhere" of the anime was a bit jarring, but yeah the story more than made up for it.

Also, question regarding the anime: I've only seen the version with subbed english. Is the voice acting for the english dub decent? Cowboy BeBop set the bar for my 'dub' standards really high, so I'm kind of a snob about it.

Havelock on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So I started reading the manga last night, and I'm on volume 4 now. Holy shit this thing is gory.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Havelock wrote: »
    Going from the hyper-detailed scenes of battle of the manga to the "I chopped fives dudes in half and there's a ton of red everywhere" of the anime was a bit jarring, but yeah the story more than made up for it.

Also, question regarding the anime: I've only seen the version with subbed english. Is the voice acting for the english dub decent? Cowboy BeBop set the bar for my 'dub' standards really high, so I'm kind of a snob about it.

The dub is good enough and even if it wasn't, at the very least it's responsible for the excellent outtakes so anyone who hates it is a terrible person.

Slicer on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So I started reading the manga last night, and I'm on volume 4 now. Holy shit this thing is gory.

yeah, it gets gorier. If the monsters aren't bad enough with the rape and mutilation, the inquisition then shows up and kicks things up a notch.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    DanHibiki wrote: »

yeah, it gets gorier. If the monsters aren't bad enough with the rape and mutilation, the inquisition then shows up and kicks things up a notch.

The rape at this point has been entirely male (human) on boy.

Though the orgy worship that the count stumbles on caught me off guard.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg