Options

New Berserk Series!

The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupinesIrvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
edited January 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
I know for ages there have been rumors floating around about a new Berserk series in the works. They have always been rebuffed and people in the know saying, "Oh we'd love to make a new series, but we can't just yet." Well it seems like we just might have it now, and very soon!

The rumors all began when a small handful of images were leaked to the internet. They could not be confirmed and official sources either claimed them to be high quality fakes, or no comment. Here are the images.

NewBerserk.jpg

newberserkanime2.jpg

23hwtci.jpg

21b3vhj.jpg

Pretty good looking right? Well a bit of time has passed and now we have something a little more substantial to work with. Can you really deny this?

CLICK THIS DAMN LINK!

I am positively moist...

Berserk is one of the greatest mangas and animes of all time. I could wax endlessly about each of them, like how the Manga has been going since before many of you were born and is a highpoint among Japanese comics, or how how the less amazing, but still awesome series was a fantastic yet painful cock-tease, but I think it would be best to just link to the Wiki and let anybody interested do some reading. Just be warned both the manga and the anime are some of the most violent animated things to come out of Japan. The anime was so violent that it was only allowed to air at a super late night time slot in Japan, and the manga is TEN TIMES as violent as that. I'm a total goreaholic and Berserk is my goreahol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berserk_%28manga%29

So come one come all and let's discuss the awesomeness that is Berserk! Feel free to discuss the new series or the old/manga if you like. As long as it is about Berserk, it's all good.

Let's cap things off with a nice Berserk AMV. Warning massive spoilers, but if you don't mind it is a good introduction to the series and how violent it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDXRZY6v2fM

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
The_Spaniard on

• Options
    mrdobalinamrdobalina Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wasn't this a Dreamcast game?

mrdobalina on
  • Options
    sidhaethesidhaethe Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Is this a do-over of the first in the vein of Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, or more of a "later on in the timeline"/sequel sort of thing?

sidhaethe on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    mrdobalina wrote: »
    Wasn't this a Dreamcast game?

A pretty damn good, and underrated Dreamcast game yes. I still have my copy. Also there was another even better PS2 game released that I would give my left testicle for a US release. I actually even WENT up to the publisher at E3 the year it came out and BEGGED them for localization. No dice. ;(
    sidhaethe wrote: »
    Is this a do-over of the first in the vein of Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, or more of a "later on in the timeline"/sequel sort of thing?
    Don't know yet, I'm betting even money on do-over. If it wasn't a do-over they couldn't just slap Puck into it like you see in one of those screens, because he was oddly cut from the original series, along with the Skull Knight.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    I've never been much for manga or anime, but I loved the shit out of Berserk. The art is just amazing.
    berserk.jpg

Echo on
  • Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sounds like it might actually happen.
    Director Hiroyuki Kitakubo wrote in his Twitter account on Tuesday that he heard that 4[blank]C is making Berserk as a full-CG anime
    source: ANN article

skettios on
  • Options
    KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I read up on this a while back to see if I should have a go at it

then I saw the protagonist gets raped or something
    then his girlfriend gets raped
    there's probably some other rape in there, not to mention all the gore

I was like "Naw I'm good on that dawg thanks though"

Kazaka on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2010
    New chapter in a few weeks, too. That'll make 7 this year! He may finish sometime in the next thirty years at this rate.

A duck! on
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    A duck! wrote: »
    New chapter in a few weeks, too. That'll make 7 this year! He may finish sometime in the next thirty years at this rate.

Is he still busy playing videogames for girls?

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    There had better be some Forces!

[vidurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3k1Vvb0ROA&NR=1]Forces (Godhand mix)[/vidurl]

edit: linked it for very tame nakedness.

Echo on
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    I've never been much for manga or anime, but I loved the shit out of Berserk. The art is just amazing.

His Hieronymous Bosch-meets-H.R. Geiger monsters are some of the creepiest crawlies ever scribbled.

I'd link a picture, but they always seem to be raping someone...

metaghost on
  • Options
    The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

There is a non-zero chance that I will be dead before it finishes.

The Fourth Estate on
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I have always thought that if Demon's Souls was an anime it would be just like Berserk. I am really looking forward to this!

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Tarranon wrote: »

Is he still busy playing videogames for girls?

Last I heard yeah.

I like to think it's the only thing that is stopping him from going insane while drawing demon rape.

Slicer on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Kazaka wrote: »
    I read up on this a while back to see if I should have a go at it

then I saw the protagonist gets raped or something
    then his girlfriend gets raped
    there's probably some other rape in there, not to mention all the gore

I was like "Naw I'm good on that dawg thanks though"
    There is a fair bit of rape in the series yes, but it's all part of the very dark story. It isn't overdone and very thematically reliant. You would be doing yourself a disservice by not at least checking it out. If you don't like gore though, run, run far far away this is not for you.
    metaghost wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »

His Hieronymous Bosch-meets-H.R. Geiger monsters are some of the creepiest crawlies ever scribbled.

I'd link a picture, but they always seem to be raping someone...
    Go nuts link tons of pictures, the Apostles are great. You are right though, all of his monsters are so friggen amazing looking.

Edit: This is from my personal stash, my favorite pic of Gatts/Guts/Gutts.
    Berserk_v25c211p10120copy.jpg
    Should I toss this into the Op?

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited September 2010
    This series holds a special place in my heart.

I cannot wait for the new anime. They better bring it stateside waaaay faster thanmthey did the last one; I really don't want to have to rely on fan subs.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Zod 4 lyfe

Zodd.jpg?t=1285716257

roar.jpg?t=1285716255

special mention: Guts
    smile.jpg?t=1285716254

and while I'm doing the fan thing, just gonna link this here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSKMqKHQrh8

(some spoilers in that thing)

The only game I've ever imported from Japan, and I only slightly regret it!

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Where is a good place I can get the manga online?

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Who here has any of the toys?

I have the huge Gutts figure with metal throwing knives and dagger, the box says ages 14 and up. I also have one of him as a young mercenary, and a bunch of the mini figures. Gatts, Human Zodd, Troll, Demon Zodd bust, and Skull Knight.

I also have 2 copies of the Anime, one original, one remastered. I only have the first 4 hard issues of the manga though.

You can get an actual Dragon Slayer for around 100 bucks, I'm tempted, but I'm not that big of a nerd.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Amazon's probably your best bet.

Slicer on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Berserk turned me into a man, and I am ecstatic about a new series. I just hope they don't cut corners and go all out with every story arc.

This reminds me I should get up to speed with the manga. I think I'm 10 volumes behind or so.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    nstfnstf __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    The idea of more berserk gives me wood, this is good.

nstf on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2010

Nowhere and don't ask.

My favorite picture is one that I can't post, but I think you guys will know it:
    it's from when Casca is kidnapped (after amnesia) and is brought down to the orgy with Baphomet. Guts swoops in and clears out a large group of mutated cultists. Just him walking towards Casca with a wall of bisected bodies flying away from him. A great 2-page spread.

EDIT - Oh, yeah, you can get it legally, too. Probably Amazon.

A duck! on
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh HELL yes!

I watched the series/ read (most) of the manga in college. I got up to the part with the trolls and the "new" additions to Guts' group like the female knight and the witch. How much farther along are they in the story now? Did it ever end?

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Oh HELL yes!

I watched the series/ read (most) of the manga in college. I got up to the part with the trolls and the "new" additions to Guts' group like the female knight and the witch. How much farther along are they in the story now? Did it ever end?

There's quite a bit more than that, though I haven't gotten that far yet myself. There are 34 volumes in English (35 is the one that just came out in Japan), and as I recall, the original arc from the anime goes up to about volume 13, not including 1-3, which are set sometime after shit goes down.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Man I never read the Manga but the anime was awesome. Probably the best anime I've ever watch. It was such a cocktease to stop after a few episodes with the last thing we see being Gatts seeing blondie boy ( forgot his name) raping his girlfriend in hell.

I think I need to watch this again in a format better than poor quality 90's internet downloads.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It gets worse for Guts after the end of the anime.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Zod 4 lyfe

Zodd.jpg?t=1285716257

roar.jpg?t=1285716255

special mention: Guts
    smile.jpg?t=1285716254

and while I'm doing the fan thing, just gonna link this here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSKMqKHQrh8

(some spoilers in that thing)

The only game I've ever imported from Japan, and I only slightly regret it!

If you are going to link that trailer you have to link this one that includes some in depth boss battle footage, where he pulls off some orgasm inducingly awesome moves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt0q63FPgjg

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I know the anime takes a lot of guff for continuity issues and not being as brutal as the manga, but I still consider that whole arc to be exceptionally well done - I never particularly cared for stuff like Wyald, anyway.

The soundtrack really makes it for me. Susumi Hirasawa is fucking talented.

Cherrn on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Conan the Barbarian 4 lyfe.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Cherrn wrote: »

I've spent the last hour listening to OST stuff on youtube. :P

Echo on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    On top of nicely adapting the action, the anime really hit on what was the heart and soul of that arc anyway; the characters and their development and relationships.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I know the anime takes a lot of guff for continuity issues and not being as brutal as the manga, but I still consider that whole arc to be exceptionally well done - I never particularly cared for stuff like Wyald, anyway.

You didn't like Wyald? Get the fuck out of my thread. :x

Everyone, I've just heard that there are 3 more of those short little clips going to be released over the next few days. I am now being scraped to death by my zipper.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    A NEW BERSERK SERIES?!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy8BCulyOeU

I remember watching the first one way back when and I was completely blown away with the themes, character development, and down right crazy grim dark action. It's a shame there was never any closure for that anime, and the Dreamcast game was freaking amazing!

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

You didn't like Wyald? Get the fuck out of my thread. :x

Everyone, I've just heard that there are 3 more of those short little clips going to be released over the next few days. I am now being scraped to death by my zipper.

The anime does a fine job of fettling the manga and giving us more Guts/Griffith ultimate bromance.

The Fourth Estate on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Fireflash wrote: »
    Man I never read the Manga but the anime was awesome. Probably the best anime I've ever watch. It was such a cocktease to stop after a few episodes with the last thing we see being Gatts seeing blondie boy ( forgot his name) raping his girlfriend in hell.

I think I need to watch this again in a format better than poor quality 90's internet downloads.

I really enjoyed the series, but I recall wishing I'd never bothered buying the last DVD, and just rewatched the first instead.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Berzerk is the only manga i follow because its the only one that hasn't ended, and damn is it slow. Also it appears to be going nowhere.

Barcardi on
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    On top of nicely adapting the action, the anime really hit on what was the heart and soul of that arc anyway; the characters and their development and relationships.

This! When you review the anime series as a whole, it's interesting how little there is in the way of supernatural stuff. It mostly caps the beginning and end of the series with few references to it otherwise. The series really focused on character development, relationships, politics, strategies, and battles, and it's beautifully done.

I really need to read the manga, badly.

Dalboz on
  • Options
    JMilesJMiles Registered User new member
    edited September 2010
    hey all.. in case any of you would like to catch up on the series, or if you haven't read it at all, spectrum nexus is where I've found all of them to read for free.. most of them have nice high res images.. apart from a few wonky pictures as well as a few strange translations, the series is really solid right up to chapter 315.. enjoy peeps

JMiles on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Dalboz wrote: »

This! When you review the anime series as a whole, it's interesting how little there is in the way of supernatural stuff. It mostly caps the beginning and end of the series with few references to it otherwise. The series really focused on character development, relationships, politics, strategies, and battles, and it's beautifully done.

I really need to read the manga, badly.

The manga pretty much veers into full out supernatural.

Barcardi on
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm really curious how this could turn out, because the sad thing about Berserk is that after the material that is covered with the original show, Miura sort of lost focus on having any real pressure to the story, choosing to dwell on Guts' nihilism within the context of a world in which supernatural elements are slowly bleeding in. For years it was just Guts traveling around, killing crazy shit, and tugging Caska around. The insanely detailed art manages to make all the violence compelling in its own way, but the lead-up to the Millenium Falcon arc (vol. 15 - 20ish) is honestly boring as all get out.

And even still, 15 volumes later, the reader has almost no fucking clue who Skull Knight is, what God Hand is trying to achieve, or why Miura decided Guts needed to fight a legion of Cthulu-Pirate people.

So while I'm excited at the prospects, my excitement is certainly tempered by the fact that they might just have to simply re-do the original series, this time with art that isn't predominantly panning over watercolor stills.

metaghost on