As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat] you, George Lucas!

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Equality is a sham! We would all be happier if society mirrored Brave New World's!

emnmnme on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    I just had some reese peeses for lunch, I guess it doesn't have the same impact as when its for breakfast.

Off brand candy is never quite as good.

Thomamelas on
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    holy shit.

That guy in minecraft managed to build a supercomputer out of red dust and it make stormfront and [chat] merge into one entity.

Ludious on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sunny out today, weather in this area is kind of going crazy town. I guess I shouldn't have killed that gypsies daughter while getting a beej, and here I hoped I'd lose some weight.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    so are the bio-social-cognitive modellers who emphasize the biological/ genetic underpinnings of poor IQ test performance of black people then doing a racist thing?

Yes, in no small part because they would be emphasizing a thing that has no evidence for its existence.

If it did exist, then maybe, depending on the context.

That's veering a little to close to "some things are not allowed to be researched" for my comfort. I don't hold with the idea that anything is out of bounds to legitimate research.

Some things aren't allowed to be researched. You can't research a hypothesis that high doses of arsenic will cure autism in children, for instance, partly because arsenic is dangerous, and partly because we know what arsenic does and does not do.

That's a major function of review boards, to look at research and ask "do the possible rewards of this research outweigh the risks?"

If you had a legitimate reason to suspect that a dangerous drug could cure a lethal disease in children, you could potentially research that, which is exactly how we find new chemotherapies for cancer. But in those cases a big question that a review board will ask is, "Why do you think this chemotherapy will work?"

In the case of race and intelligence, if you have a legitimate reason to believe that there's a gene for intelligence that correlates with skin color, you could potentially perform that research. The idea that there's some kind of institutional reactionary bias against controversial research is largely a lay myth. Review boards love controversial research, because that's how you get your institution's name in journals and grants.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You guys are one instance of name calling away from me posting cat pictures.

Is that what you want? Do you want the kitten pile again?

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Daxon wrote: »
    But one could argue that dark skin is a marker for a genetic trait of lower IQ if one has found that those with darker skin do poorly on IQ tests given the same education/whatnot as a lighter skinned individual.

Though any such research would be retarded.

It would also beg the question as to why there are plenty of people with dark skin who are quite intelligent and people with white skin who are idiots and why these things tend to happen along class lines.

If genetics is a factor, clearly it is not as large factor as environment.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    God dammit Daxon I just explained the sickle cell thing, and if you extend the metaphor to women you will see the point I am trying to make.

Also raised estrogen levels can correspond not only to genetics, but also to environmental interference in regulatory regions that increase production of estrogen even in males.

Yeah but how are those environments created? May it perchance be some genetic factors being turn on and off at appropriate times resulting in this?

Nah, it's probably magic.

You do realize the importance of cis-regulation and epigenetic control of genetic expression right? Or do you want to keep twisting my words? environment can also mean extra organismal influence which lead to an increase in estrogen production in both sexes. Oh wait, maaagiccc
    I know you didn't say woman can't do math. Because it would make no sense to assume that because a certain population is genetically predisposed to be shorter, they would also be genetically predisposed to be poor at math. The former has nothing to do with the latter.

It would make equally little sense to assume that because a certain population has darker skin, they are also genetically predisposed to have lower IQs.

But one could argue that dark skin is a marker for a genetic trait of lower IQ if one has found that those with darker skin do poorly on IQ tests given the same education/whatnot as a lighter skinned individual.

Though any such research would be retarded.[/QUOTE]
    [/quote]

Just because there is a physiologically identifiable marker does not mean that there is a genetic correlation.

That is retarded, you are right. It is also slightly racist, given the classical association of skin color and race.

Arch on
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ludious wrote: »
    holy shit.

That guy in minecraft managed to build a supercomputer out of red dust and it make stormfront and [chat] merge into one entity.

this is a fantastic post.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Witchdr wrote: »
    So Will more Halos tonight?

that is my plan!

cuntmonkey i was on yesterday and none of my friends were

note, my friends includes YOUUUU

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
    edited September 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    I just had some reese peeses for lunch, I guess it doesn't have the same impact as when its for breakfast.

I know, but after the settlement I've had to go to generic. Charm brand toilet paper does not wipe as much ass goo away as charmin let me tell you.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited September 2010
    Witchdr wrote: »
    So Will more Halos tonight?

that is my plan!

cuntmonkey i was on yesterday and none of my friends were

note, my friends includes YOUUUU

Will prefers the term "Floppymucousholemonkey" its much less sexist.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited September 2010
    Elldren wrote: »
    epigenetics and environmental differences: magic

I literally just posted that

high five

I guess this cements our relationship as BFFs now

brb getting your name tattooed on my thigh

Arch on
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    God dammit Daxon I just explained the sickle cell thing, and if you extend the metaphor to women you will see the point I am trying to make.

Also raised estrogen levels can correspond not only to genetics, but also to environmental interference in regulatory regions that increase production of estrogen even in males.

Yeah but how are those environments created? May it perchance be some genetic factors being turn on and off at appropriate times resulting in this?

only sometimes

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Except when it is a canadian off-brand version of a US candy bar that uses sugar instead of HFCS.

It's actually probably for the best that they don't sell a snickers without HFCS around here. I would get the beetus' so hard.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I wish someone would remake Fallout 1 and 2 with Baldur's Gate combat so that they would be good games

Ludious on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Something to keep in mind about any test involving humans and innate characteristics without alteration due to history; they are nigh-impossible and incredibly unethical.

There is also no functional definition for "intelligence." Testing for a vague concept doesn't really work.

Incenjucar on
  • GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

They come in piles?

Gim on
    edited September 2010
    speaking of unethical, I wish we could just all hold our noses for a few decades and do some seriously nefarious research on death row inmates so we could do a rocket advancement in medicine.

Ludious on
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

You do realize the importance of cis-regulation and epigenetic control of genetic expression right? Or do you want to keep twisting my words? environment can also mean extra organismal influence which lead to an increase in estrogen production in both sexes. Oh wait, maaagiccc

What extra organismal influences?

Daxon on
    edited September 2010

Except when it is a canadian off-brand version of a US candy bar that uses sugar instead of HFCS.

It's actually probably for the best that they don't sell a snickers without HFCS around here. I would get the beetus' so hard.

If I ever want a smile I imagine wilford brimley with a fire axe attacking a candy factory. "Don't you understand that sugar wants to be us!!!"

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    speaking of unethical, I wish we could just all hold our noses for a few decades and do some seriously nefarious research on death row inmates so we could do a rocket advancement in medicine.

I guess we need another world war with concentration camps so the US can buy some research in return for the scientist's freedom. It's for science!

Echo on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    You are missing the point in some cases- Sickle cell for instance corresponds not to "classical groupings" but more to geographical location. Which also correlates to "race".

In north america, for instance, sickle cell is slowly being selected out of the population as it confers no advantage.

The fact that sickle cell corresponds with being african american is not because they are african american, but because they came from an area where having sickle cell was a favorable trait.

Do you get the point I am making? I don't think it is very clear, but I don't know how else to phrase it.

well sure

but ultimately, what's the difference?

a lack of melanin confers an environmental benefit in terms of vitamin D processing to people who live in un-sunny climates. people who evolved to live in such climates also benefited from a tendency to store layers of body fat and have relatively large statures. possibly harsh environments might be reflected in higher levels of fecundity.

which tendencies, then, you might see reflected in scandinavians specifically or to a lesser degree in "white" people broadly.

I don't really know what genetic differences the average swede and the average bedouin would have. But it seems silly that hundreds of generations living in extremely distinct environments wouldn't yield measurable physical differences or possibly behavioral tendencies.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited September 2010

Sure Deathwalker, the vorlons will be by shortly to sort our your payment.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dwfb7HSqWkU

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh man, melanin? I'll just sit over here and cry, thanks.

Silas Brown on
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Problem with that is that it sets a precedent and becomes all slippery slope after that. Not to mention it may quite horrible and severe, lasting cultural damage that could takes a very long time to repair.

In other news, House is nowhere close to as fun to watch when you've seen real doctors in action.

edit: also really handy to be around doctors all day so that if you have a health problem (got this strange lump, probably a lymph node, under the right side of my jaw) you can just ask and get it done with instead of having to go see one specifically.

Daxon on
    edited September 2010
    Elldren wrote: »
    epigenetics and environmental differences: magic

I literally just posted that

high five

I guess this cements our relationship as BFFs now

brb getting your name tattooed on my thigh

weet

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010

why use death row inmates when there are all these perfectly healthy bankers sitting around

Rust on
    edited September 2010

Sounds like something you ate

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    Will I don't think I ever proposed a model of "Your product, only free."

I was simply wondering why, in this age of instant information transfer, it takes so long for legitimate copies of translated media to appear.

You have really ascribed a sinister motive (piracy) to my wonderings! I don't want to pirate things, I have money! I would buy them if they were released in a format that more engenders itself to the speed at which I consume media (i.e. very quickly, and impatiently)

no, i didn't mean to say that you are pirating this stuff.

but what you're asking is why they can't keep up with the pirated fansubs

and i guess my answer was "business concerns and also why try to compete directly against something that is your product but free?"

And my answer is that a lot of other services basically do this, with large success. You dismissed this because you feel the target market isn't a desirable one.

I don't know if this is true.

outside of the russian dubs, what other services do this?

i can't really think of a reasonable analog for comparison.

marvel comics puts their comics up for download on ipad, i guess, but that's not really the same thing.

video games are pirated routinely, but it's not to my knowledge claimed to be because of cross-national marketing.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Someone come over and get food with me :(

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Meh. I doubt it would actually result in much advancement that the slightly less nefarious research on other primapes wouldn't do.

Couscous on
    edited September 2010
    Rust wrote: »

why use death row inmates when there are all these perfectly healthy bankers sitting around

ok

I'm just saying that I'd push the button if there were one

Ludious on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I've been just completely ignoring it because really at this point it's basically it's own thread :P

HappylilElf on
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010

but it's, like, 1000 miles away

Nerdgasmic on
  • GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Someone experimented a lot with how the human body deals with freezing temperatures up to the point of death, but I can't remember who. I don't think it was Mengele. Does anybody know?

Gim on
    edited September 2010

You realize that you are implying that hormone levels in the average human female are not subject to any sort of outside influences in either up or down regulation correct?

Arch on
    edited September 2010

I've been just completely ignoring it because really at this point it's basically it's own thread :P

H5 oblivious brothers!

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited September 2010
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »

but it's, like, 1000 miles away

if it weren't i'd be so there

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
This discussion has been closed.