Options

Video Game Industry Thread: done for September, use the next thread

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    I wonder how much of WoW's success has to do with landing in an era of video games where playing video games is seen as acceptable.

I think WoW's success was half timing and half design. Everquest was getting old, so I think that crowd was ready for a new MMO. And nothing else was really out at the time (Star Wars Galaxies came a bit after WoW, but it was kind of a mess). And WoW was, in general, designed to be pretty user-friendly when such a thing didn't exist in current MMOs. That sucked a lot of new players into the genre, which in turn ballooned their sales tremendously.

It probably also helped that Everquest 2 was crap :P

WoW was released November 23, 2004 in NA and a few months later in Europe. FFXI was released October 28, 2003 in NA and September 17, 2004 in Europe. It had both time to establish and grow itself in NA and to compete on equal footing in Europe. It managed to sell decently.
    For the April–September 2004 financial period, Square Enix saw online gaming, particularly Final Fantasy XI, sales increase by 101 percent and operating profit increase by 230.9 percent.[79] Revenues held steady from subscription services in the summer of 2006; in the fall, however, Square acknowledged that online subscription revenues were "unsatisfactory", despite the steady performance of Final Fantasy XI.[80][81]

In December 2003, Square Enix president Yoichi Wada announced that there were over 200,000 subscribers to Final Fantasy XI, allowing the company to break even and start making a profit.[82] There were between 200,000 and 300,000 active players daily in 2006.[83] As of August 14, 2006 the Xbox 360 version was the sixth most played game on Xbox Live.[84]
    Being extremely newbie unfriendly didn't exactly help.

Meanwhile, EVE Online has over 300k players and was first released in May 2003.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    I wonder how much of WoW's success has to do with landing in an era of video games where playing video games is seen as something people who are obsessed and willing to pay to spend hours on end doing work.

Fixed

The Sims broke that door down long before WoW ever existed.

Nah. The Sims proved people love playing with virtual dolls and torturing said dolls.

Couscous on
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    A price of 250 dollars isn't an unreasonable guess.

Launch price of the Wii, in US dollars: $249.99
    Launch price of the Wii, in yen: ¥25,000
    Launch price of the 3DS, in yen: ¥25,000

gtrmp on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I wonder how much of WoW's success has to do with landing in an era of video games where playing video games is seen as something people who are obsessed and willing to pay to spend hours on end doing work.

Fixed

The Sims broke that door down long before WoW ever existed.

Nah. The Sims proved people love playing with virtual dolls and torturing said dolls.

You didn't take phone calls from people on the verge of tears because their saves were corrupted. This shit was work, son.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    gtrmp wrote: »

That addresses the question I asked earlier. That makes me feel better.

Henroid on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I still think the 3DS will be $250 in the US.

Nintendo very well could ship it at $300 and do just fine if only because they have no serious competition, and I'd eat my own cock if Sony busted out the PSP2 all of a sudden and undercut the price of the 3DS, I just don't think they'll go that high.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Sheep wrote: »
    I still have no idea how Dark Void failed.

Airtight made those Crimson Skies games. Shit. All they had to do was reskin the damn things and they'd have another hit.

I just finished it the other day (got it for NZ$20 a few weeks back) and I'd say it failed because it was a really mediocre, unpolished game. How it got to that stage, I don't know. Like you implied, the people at Airtight games have pretty damn good resumes. But what I'm guessing happened is that they were too ambitious (trying to be Uncharted + Crimson Skies) and just didn't have much direction. Hence why the story jumps all over the place, the jetpack-less levels are crap and even the flying missions are pretty dull.
    I'm not sure if FFX-2 is a counter to that argument. I've never seen people who were middle of the road with that game; they either fucking love it or fucking hate it.

Edit - What I'm saying is UV may or may not be fabulous.

That's because most of the people that hate it are all pissed there's no angsty melodramatic story. It's just a light hearted, fun game that's surprisingly non-linear.
    The Idle Thumbs guys had a great discussion on this, talking about surprise reward or unexpected acknowledgement being way better than just having a list of things to do presented to you up front (there's talk of studies done to support this as well). It all made sense. If achievements were hidden things and actually special & unique, nobody would complain. The current implementation of them in the industry is total shit. Regardless, some people like shit.

You realise developers can already do that, right? They can create hidden trophies/achievements on both the 360 and PS3. But there's absolutely no point in doing so, not when anyone can find the full list after a 2 second google search. And how exactly would Microsoft/Sony police that system anyway? Going through each game and approving them one at a time? That idea is completely unrealistic.

A far better idea is just to give achievements/trophies an actual purpose. Put items (like dynamic themes on the PS3 or avatar items on the 360) up on the respective stores that people can buy using x amount of trophies/achievement points. That's the one thing I like about Ubisoft's uPlay system.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

This is misleading. The Wii in America had Wii Sports packed in while in Japan it was just the Wii by itself. ¥25,000 back then converted to like $210 whereas now it's $300. Nintendo can't afford to price it at $300 in America though, $250's the upper limit (and that's only because the PSPGo exists, I'd say $200 was the upper limit if that was never released) but since they've implied they've inflated the cost due to demand, I doubt they'll be losing money at that price.

Opty on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Opty wrote: »

This is misleading. The Wii in America had Wii Sports packed in while in Japan it was just the Wii by itself. ¥25,000 back then converted to like $210 whereas now it's $300. Nintendo can't afford to price it at $300 in America though, $250's the upper limit (and that's only because the PSPGo exists, I'd say $200 was the upper limit if that was never released) but since they've implied they've inflated the cost due to demand, I doubt they'll be losing money at that price.

Just want to mention again that their most recent system, the DSi XL right now is ¥18,000 but $170USD. $300USD for ¥25,000 is never going to happen

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Spoit wrote: »

Just want to mention again that their most recent system, the DSi XL right now is ¥18,000 but $170USD. $300USD for ¥25,000 is never going to happen

I'm a little worried for the UK, myself. When the Wii launched, it was £180 here vs $250. Under the current exchange rate (and with our whopping 17.5% sales tax added) $250 does indeed roughly equal £180. But back then the $:£ ratio was 2:1 - now it's 1:1.6. The DSi XL also launched at £160, and if it was $170 in the US we can expect to see a £240-250 pricepoint for the 3DS. That makes me a little queasy, and could seriously damage the console's early success here - especially since a very large proportion of DS owners here exclusively play 'casual' games and have little interest in the 3D.

Bioptic on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'd be very surprised if it is sub £200 at release.

LewieP on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

If they've got their fingers on the pulse enough to inflate the price due to demand, then they could just as easily deflate the price due to the widespread backlash (along with every english site and forum hoping and begging for $250).

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Which was probably part of the goal all along. If they had just announced $250USD at the same time as the Japanese price, people would be complaining about the price, but if they announce it now, there'll still be gripping, but a lot of people will be relieved it's not $300

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ginguskahnginguskahn Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Bioptic wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »

I'm a little worried for the UK, myself. When the Wii launched, it was £180 here vs $250. Under the current exchange rate (and with our whopping 17.5% sales tax added) $250 does indeed roughly equal £180. But back then the $:£ ratio was 2:1 - now it's 1:1.6. The DSi XL also launched at £160, and if it was $170 in the US we can expect to see a £240-250 pricepoint for the 3DS. That makes me a little queasy, and could seriously damage the console's early success here - especially since a very large proportion of DS owners here exclusively play 'casual' games and have little interest in the 3D.

Bad news, sales tax will be 20% by the time its released :p

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I think WoW's success was half timing and half design. Everquest was getting old, so I think that crowd was ready for a new MMO. And nothing else was really out at the time (Star Wars Galaxies came a bit after WoW, but it was kind of a mess). And WoW was, in general, designed to be pretty user-friendly when such a thing didn't exist in current MMOs. That sucked a lot of new players into the genre, which in turn ballooned their sales tremendously.

I think Dark Age Of Camelot must get a lot of credit for this. They had a lot of innovations like quest items dropping for all etc. But WoW was a far better all rounder.

Mc zany on
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Mc zany wrote: »

I think Dark Age Of Camelot must get a lot of credit for this. They had a lot of innovations like quest items dropping for all etc. But WoW was a far better all rounder.

Not to mention all the PvP innovations it made. People forget about DAOC, which is too bad. It was a good step between EQ1 and WoW, and definitely helped pave the way for its successors.

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Rent wrote: »
    Well it's a good thing making a sequel to Alpha Protocol isn't financially justifiable but exploiting Sonic's back catalog is.

Considering how absolutely awesome AP was, yes, yes this is a bad thing

fixed :mrgreen:

But seriously, as stated by an ex employee the Alpha Protocol IP lies by Obsidian. So, SEGA was talking out of their asses. Naturally it will still be hard to get another publisher for such a project but its still on Obsidians side.

Though, they already stated that they are working on a "spirituel successor" so there probably isn't any AP sequel planned for the near future

C2B on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    http://kotaku.com/5661479/ea-cancels-steven-spielberg-game

For years now, Electronic Arts and Steven Spielberg were supposed to have been working on a project called "LMNO" (pronounced "elemental"). We'd long thought it was dead. Now EA has finally confirmed it.

Jake Kazdal, a former EA developer who worked on the game, told the 8-4 podcast "I don't know exactly what was the thing that made it fall apart. I'm sure anybody you ask is gonna tell you something a little bit different, but it didn't end up ever taking off."

"There was some rival game stuff that may or may not have come out of EA that was basically the same thing minus some of the stuff we were doing. There was just a lot of politics."

Electronic Arts then confirmed the game's shutdown to Joystiq, though stressed that the mega-publisher "maintains its relationship with Steven Spielberg".
    Spielberg Wii games: 1
    Spielberg 360/PS3 games: 0

I had forgotten about that.

Me too. And I'm a little amazed that EA let something with Spielberg's name on it get canned due (possibly) to internal politics, especially after Boom Blox did pretty well.
    I've heard arguments that The Sims was actually unironically important to video games.

Yeah, I can agree that the series helped awaken the casual audience.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Now for your "what the hell?" of the day:
    We thought Dr. Deepak Chopra had done it all, bringing his brand of spirituality and wellness to the world with a shelf-full of best-selling books, and in newspapers, magazines, and on TV. Turns out we were wrong. Dr. Chopra doesn't have a videogame -- and that's an unacceptable problem THQ plans to remedy.

THQ, Chopra, and Curious Pictures announced today a multi-year licensing agreement that gives THQ the exclusive worldwide rights to develop and publish videogames based on the teachings of Dr. Chopra.

"We look forward to translating Dr. Chopra's teachings and practices into a video game that provides gamers with a truly unique and rewarding experience," said Martin Good, executive VP at THQ Kids, Family, Casual Games, and Global Online Services. "THQ continues to expand its casual games portfolio and has grand plans to invigorate the lifestyle category with this game."

Exactly how THQ plans to translate Chopra's message of expelling negative emotions and connecting the mind, body, and spirit remains to be seen -- but the publisher will do so on the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and Nintendo Wii.

"We are excited to take the Deepak Chopra properties to innovative platforms that appeal to a mass market audience," said Curious Pictures Exec Producer Lewis Kofsky. "We are confident THQ will introduce and bring his work to life in ways that will engage his followers and gamers alike in a whole new way."

http://www.gamespy.com/articles/112/1127346p1.html

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Aaaaaaargh. Don't tell my mom! She loved the Taboo for NES (a Tarot Card player.)

So many publishers are full of stupid this month.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    On the topic of MMOs, it seems like the #1 recipe for success with MMORPGs right now is "being old". The older you are, the more forgiving people were with your bullshit back in the age of slim pickings, the more time you've had to polish your formerly bullshit shit, the harder it is for newer MMORPGs to compete with your five or more years of content and polish, etc etc

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Cantido wrote: »
    So many publishers are full of stupid.

Fixed that for you.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    C2B wrote: »
    Rent wrote: »
    Well it's a good thing making a sequel to Alpha Protocol isn't financially justifiable but exploiting Sonic's back catalog is.

Considering how absolutely awesome AP was, yes, yes this is a bad thing

fixed :mrgreen:

But seriously, as stated by an ex employee the Alpha Protocol IP lies by Obsidian. So, SEGA was talking out of their asses. Naturally it will still be hard to get another publisher for such a project but its still on Obsidians side.

Though, they already stated that they are working on a "spirituel successor" so there probably isn't any AP sequel planned for the near future

That ex employee is either completely wrong or referring to something else (like Obsidian retaining all the games assets) because this is stated quite openly on the official website:
    © SEGA. SEGA, the SEGA logo and Alpha Protocol are registered trade marks or trade marks of SEGA Corporation.

That doesn't stop them from making the rumoured spiritual sequel though.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Have we seen this yet?

According to GAF, NPD has said they will no longer release monthly numbers.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=409972

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Have we seen this yet?

FKDSUI adgufevnrehjkjwretbhjrev4wjkahjklfjbgkn

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I want to see if the Kinect makes it's 3m prediction. :(

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Have we seen this yet?

Looks like cloudeagle was premature about the 'What the HELL' of the day, then.

... Fuck you, NPD.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Show's over, people. See you around the other PA threads.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    On the bright side, maybe the companies will still do monthly bragging.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

As if this thread couldn't be sustained by constant sniping over something.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Have we seen this yet?

- removal of monthly hardware unit sales figures
    - a shift in the Top 10 software from sku level with unit sales for the Top 5, to Top 10 software at the title level with no unit sales

Whee. Now the console makers have plenty of room to thump their chests even if their hardware is a big floperoo.

Goddammit.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

As if this thread couldn't be sustained by constant sniping over something.
    It means I can now pretend all SEGA games sold a million times more copies than Halo and there's absolutely no way to prove me wrong. MUAHAHAHAHA

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Looks like it's a good thing this was turned into an industry thread rather than just a sales thread.

I generally come here to find out the stuff that we normally don't make seperate threads for anyways.

Still, we may still get number leaks/gloating companies/and generally all the stuff we're used to anyways.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    TalkcTalkc Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My prediction? Kinect will sell 500 million.

PROVE ME WRONG

Talkc on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Why can't we get the top 40 like the UK and their charting company?

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    GAF's making a good point... this means that people will have no choice but to turn to VG Chartzzz and their made-up numbers.

Edit: I'm guessing this move was made because of pressure from the big three. Especially since in the same move we're going from SKU-specific to all-format figures.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    GAF's making a good point... this means that people will have no choice but to turn to VG Chartzzz and their made-up numbers.

VG Chartzzzz: "The Kinect sold a million kajillion units!"

Drevil_million_dollars.jpg

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That ex employee is either completely wrong or referring to something else (like Obsidian retaining all the games assets) because this is stated quite openly on the official website:
    © SEGA. SEGA, the SEGA logo and Alpha Protocol are registered trade marks or trade marks of SEGA Corporation.

That doesn't stop them from making the rumoured spiritual sequel though.

No he pretty clearly referred to the IP
    It was really douchey of sega to announce that there wouldn't be a sequel to AP since the rights don't belong to them.

Not to mention he was backed as a ex developer shortly after that by J.E Sawyer who holds a fairly high position in the company.

So if anything didn't massivly change from the time he left to when it came out. Well..

At the moment its probably too unclear to say anything.

C2B on
  • Options
    galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    NPD did this once before, didn't they? Said that they'd no longer be releasing results? And didn't they renege like a week later due to the outcry?

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Sega flat out owns the trademark.

Owner (REGISTRANT) Kabushiki Kaisha Sega DBA Sega Corporation CORPORATION JAPAN 1-2-12 Haneda, Ohta-Ku Tokyo JAPAN 144-8521

As Unco said it doesn't mean they can't release a sequel under a different name, but there won't be Alpha Protocol 2 sitting on the shelves unless Sega OKs it.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
This discussion has been closed.