Options

Video Game Industry Thread: done for September, use the next thread

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I will never understand why IGN is still considered a respectable games website. They long stopped being worth visiting. And Game Informer is just a cheap cash-in to sell more shit at GameStop.

They're actually fairly respected in the games industry as one of the top gaming sites out there.

While I don't think they're the pile of shit a lot of people make them out to be, their standards are still a little loose. I used to think Gamespot was a shining example of actually good gaming journalism, but then the Kane and Lynch thing happened. But still, they're also respected in the industry even today.

Gaming journalism still has a bit more growing up to do.

Edit: Who's the anti-Nintendo fanboy running the Wii section? I haven't really seen it.

Daemon Hatfield (he may not actually "run" it, but he does the majority of the reviews). He is constantly bitching about how much Nintendo sucks. Two e3s ago he refused to even discuss their lineup (you know, Galaxy 2, NSMB Wii, Team Ninja Metroid, etc) because Wii was for babies. I think he was also the only one who came out of this e3 saying 3DS looked like crap.

It's not just him though. All the sections are really a disgrace. They post flame-bait articles all the time. I think there was a video they did about how Final Fantasy XIII coming to 360 was the worst thing ever.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ah, I had forgotten about that. Though to his credit, any dislike he has for the system hasn't really been reflected in the Wii section since he took it over.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Spicy_RevSpicy_Rev Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    In thinking about Alpha Protocol and Fallout: New Vegas, it is just assumed that Obsidian doesn't put out polished games or was AP a fluke? I loved AP, but it had its problems.

I think many Fallout 3 players still think about how unpolished the game started and how each DLC had some cluster associated with it. I am worried that another unpolished game in the series by a group with a recent black mark could be problematic.

Spicy_Rev on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Spicy_Rev wrote: »
    In thinking about Alpha Protocol and Fallout: New Vegas, it is just assumed that Obsidian doesn't put out polished games or was AP a fluke? I loved AP, but it had its problems.

I think many Fallout 3 players still think about how unpolished the game started and how each DLC had some cluster associated with it. I am worried that another unpolished game in the series by a group with a recent black mark could be problematic.

Obsidian has never really released a "polished game"

I have personally enjoyed all of their games, but they've all had some serious issues.

The way I hear it, they were shipping off people wholesale from other teams to work on New Vegas though, to the degree that even while they were actively working on Alpha Protocol, people were being pulled off Alpha Protocol to work on New Vegas. It has been their primary project for quite awhile now and I remain optimistic that it will at the very least have fewer of the issues that plagued their previous projects.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Turkey wrote: »
    My favorite way to learn about a game is through GiantBomb's Quick Looks. Even when I don't agree with their opinion, they tend to give me a good idea of what to expect with the game.

really? from the few I have watched, the person playing is absolutely terrible at the game. Like, attract-mode terrible. Often they don't even bother to familiarize themselves with controls or anything. Therefore when they play like shit, the game becomes less appealing.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    TelMarine wrote: »
    Turkey wrote: »
    My favorite way to learn about a game is through GiantBomb's Quick Looks. Even when I don't agree with their opinion, they tend to give me a good idea of what to expect with the game.

really? from the few I have watched, the person playing is absolutely terrible at the game. Like, attract-mode terrible. Often they don't even bother to familiarize themselves with controls or anything. Therefore when they play like shit, the game becomes less appealing.

I've noticed that on some too. Brad seems to be really awful at games in general (the others it depends on the person, but most of them are not fantastic players). The Deadly Premonition endurance run he did was just painful to watch because he was *so* bad at the game.

They are all entertaining to listen to though :)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I find it sad that due to it being by title, we won't be able to see Mario Kart DS beat out many new games.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I don't even know what to say about this:
    http://www.1up.com/news/rocky-horror-picture-show-dlc-guitar-hero
    Activision Blizzard outlined the next two weeks of DLC for Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock this morning. The remaining music downloads for the month of October will include, among other things, choice hits from the Rocky Horror Picture Show soundtrack and a pack of free songs for Xbox Live Gold subscribers.

First up is the Rocktober Track Pack, set to debut exclusively on the Xbox Live Marketplace beginning October 19. The three-pack of songs features contributions from My Chemical Romance, Disturbed, and Muse. Xbox Live Gold users will be able to download the bundle absolutely free of charge for one week, at which point it will become available to all Xbox 360 users for $5.49 (440 Microsoft points).

The following week is scheduled to split up Soundgarden's Telephantasm album into downloadable singles. Fans should be able to purchase individual tracks from that album starting Tuesday, October 26. Also arriving that week will be the Rocky Horror Picture Show Track Pack, which will run the usual $5.49 (440 Microsoft points; 550 Wii Points). Individually purchased songs from each of this month's track packs are priced at $1.99 (160 Microsoft points; 200 Wii Points) apiece.
    What a completely random DLC choice.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    No more sales numbers? Fabulous, we can finally enter the fact-free existence I've been enjoying since 2006.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Meh, it's perfectly acceptible as a halloween themed dlc pack.

It's still not enough for me to buy Manbearpig Hero.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Someone needs to post a video of uggo monster Judy Nails singing Sweet Transvestite as soon as humanly possible and force Santa to watch it.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Threepio wrote: »
    No more sales numbers? Fabulous, we can finally enter the fact-free existence I've been enjoying since 2006.

We still get the numberless top 10 list by title rather than SKU.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Someone needs to post a video of uggo monster Judy Nails singing Sweet Transvestite as soon as humanly possible and force Santa to watch it.

Heh, that's just mean. :lol:

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Oh wow: http://www.joystiq.com/2010/10/12/npd-changes-monthly-reporting-removes-hardware-and-software-uni/

So they won't even seperate software sales by platform anymore? Which means multi-platform games instantly shoot to the top of the list. That seems a little dumb.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Oh wow: http://www.joystiq.com/2010/10/12/npd-changes-monthly-reporting-removes-hardware-and-software-uni/

So they won't even seperate software sales by platform anymore? Which means multi-platform games instantly shoot to the top of the list. That seems a little dumb.

It also means exclusive medium titles will probably never be there. PSP exclusive games will hopefully never chart again.

Couscous on
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    Threepio wrote: »

We still get the numberless top 10 list by title rather than SKU.

What did I just say about facts? Out with ye, and don't come back!

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Yep. NPD's really bending over backwards to please (choose one)

1. Microsoft, so they can hide the hideous failure of Kinect.
    2. Sony, so they can hide the fact that the PS3 is mired in third place.
    3. Nintendo, so they can hide the massive sales drop of the Wii.
    4. Bobby Kotick, so he can ensure all of his games seem like gigantic best-sellers.
    5. Michael Pachter, so he is no longer forced to look at those pesky "fact" thingies.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    I used to think Gamespot was a shining example of actually good gaming journalism, but then the Kane and Lynch thing happened. But still, they're also respected in the industry even today.

I don't see the problem. Either way you split the hair, Gmespot got rid of a terrible employee.

Eidos weren't pissed that Kane and Lynch got a meh review. They were pissed that the review was terrible and whiney and just loaded with bullshit.

"I don't like this game, which is a gritty crime drama, because they curse too much."

That's one of the things he harped on.

Really? Cursing? Really?

Sheep on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    I dunno what NPD is trying to do, but I'm assuming it's an attempt to get back to the time when NPD numbers and information was wildly leaked.

If they're doing it to help with PR, then it's not gonna help.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'm not sure where I stand on that, because for one, Gamespot sucks and I absolutely believe they were selling reviews. On the other, Gerstmann's reviews tend to suck too, even on Giant Bomb. :P

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Unbroken!

Sorry guys.

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Did the lack of NPDs here on out break the forums?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    hugs & kisses xoxo

Henroid on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Potentially interesting post from gaf:
    This should be interesting. :)

Yes. Good. I mean, they were doing a thing, NPD told them to stop and tried to compromise, the compromise is over, so unless they've found a way to plug leaks, they'll go back to doing what they were doing.

Yeah, given the nature of GAF, and the fact that NPD went back on their "compromise" so soon (wasn't it less than a year ago?), it could be that we'll wind up with MORE information overall thanks to emboldened leakers.

This excites me, and generally makes me feel better about this whole lack of hardware sales info. Maybe in the wake of info just continually being leaked (fingers crossed) they'll just go back to doing it.

Your ideas on who they are trying to please seem to trigger all three possibilities at once. I think Sony may have been the bigger influence, maybe MS if their confidence in Kinect is weaker than they're poker-facing.

Henroid on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    What's to prevent a starved internet from turning to VGChartz?

Plenty of people already do. Now plenty more will.

Cue lolSquareEnix.

Huh? Why wouldn't square enix use the NPD and the other metrics companies?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Unbroken!

Sorry guys.

Since my post after Warlock82 is now missing and the problem occurred the exact moment I edited it, I assume it was all my fault!

Anyway guys, I have come to bring you a vision of the future:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euNOPKYFbPc&feature=youtu.be

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I was wondering why the hell only this thread was giving errors.

Couscous on
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The no NPD numbers was too much trauma for the forum to handle itself.

So who wants to predict how many leaks we get?!

Maybe we'll go back to the old wild west style where people leak them like the good ol days.

Cade on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I posted this in the on-topic thread and the Steam thread, but I'll post it here too: Valve's "DOTA" project is getting announced tomorrow.

http://www.playdota.com/forums/blogs/icefrog/1406/valve-update/

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Does info about video game based movies belong in this thread? Because Nathan Fillion is tweeting his desire to play Drake in the Uncharted movie.

Ceno on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ceno wrote: »
    Does info about video game based movies belong in this thread? Because Nathan Fillion is tweeting his desire to play Drake in the Uncharted movie.

Well, we have to talk about SOMETHING now that we're not getting NPD's anymore. :D

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oh man that Kinect clip looks so terrible. Is the Playstation Move any better?

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    wirehead26 wrote: »

Much.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You know what'd be a great Kinect shooter? A game that just combined head-tracking (via Kinect) with a regular controller (for shooting, moving, other stuff). Are the technical limitations that constricting?

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Much.

Good, cause I plan on getting a PS3 when I get to Tech training. Although Move will have to be really fun to use for me to get it.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Move is more accurate and has both a stick for movement and buttons to shoot.

[edit] Actually the worry is that twin sticks won't be competitive vs. Move.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah I don't think I'll be using Kinect for FPS games.

Strategy games, on the other hand, sound like they will be completely awesome.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Move is more accurate and has both a stick for movement and buttons to shoot.

[edit] Actually the worry is that twin sticks won't be competitive vs. Move.

Does Kinect seriously use NO buttons at all? What the hell was Microsoft thinking?

Edit: I guess certain game types would work with no buttons but that's still severely limiting for most games.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The Wii, even without being always entirely accurate is already vastly superior when it comes to shooting games. Resident Evil 4: Wii is a sheer pleasure to play. I would not be surprised if move makes games that are compatible with it much better/easier (gives a solid advantage). I wouldn't want to play someone in MP using move for aiming vs. my analogue controller.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Video Game Industry Thread: NPD isn't releasing hardware sales anymore
    Again?

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
This discussion has been closed.