As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Alcohol] - THE FINAL DRUNKENING

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Magell wrote: »
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    $5 says its the Chimay Grand Reserve

A winner is you. I went back and that's the one it is. I just hope it's good.

I'm kind of planning on it being it's own trip to the bar for the most part, but if it's not that good I can always drink more.

Shocked.

Shocked!

That "expensive Belgium trappist" means "Chimay"

:)

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Someone teach me how to drink Gin. I have come into ownership with a gallon of Tanqueray with several cans of tonic.

Gin and Tonic, I think?

With lime?

Maybe?

Teach me how to drink Gin, D&D.

experiment with different amounts of tonic - I think the best I had was 3 parts gin to 2 parts tonic

or maybe it was 3 parts tonic to 2 parts gin

either way fresh lime juice is an important part, and it's a great drink to make a pitcher of.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    TomeWyrmTomeWyrm A Limited Liability Partnership Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Someone teach me how to drink Gin. I have come into ownership with a gallon of Tanqueray with several cans of tonic.

Gin and Tonic, I think?

With lime?

Maybe?

Teach me how to drink Gin, D&D.

experiment with different amounts of tonic - I think the best I had was 3 parts gin to 2 parts tonic

or maybe it was 3 parts tonic to 2 parts gin

either way fresh lime juice is an important part, and it's a great drink to make a pitcher of.

I think you're probably right with the second ratio. A lot of places tend to do a 1/3 gin to 2/3 tonic ratio, but that tends to be too weak for my tastes. I say 2 parts gin to 3 tonic should make a solid drink...packs enough punch but is also really refreshing.

TomeWyrm on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I think you're way overestimating the amount of Gin in your G&T. The last bit you pour has much more "part" to it than the first, since the last bit does not have the ice to take up space.

If your G&T is half/half then it should not taste like a G&T it will taste like Gin.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Goumindong wrote: »
    I think you're way overestimating the amount of Gin in your G&T. The last bit you pour has much more "part" to it than the first, since the last bit does not have the ice to take up space.

If your G&T is half/half then it should not taste like a G&T it will taste like Gin.

depends on the gin you use. I think the last G+T I made with bombay sapphire was 3 gin : 2 tonic with plenty of fresh lime and it was like a pitcher of a limeade.

experiment! find the right ratio for you. I made a pitcher of 3:2:1 margarita today and I added some lemonade, lemon juice, and extra triple sec because I suspected my audience wouldn't be interesting in a boozy margarita (which is usually what I like.) The result was balanced without being too sweet.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011

depends on the gin you use. I think the last G+T I made with bombay sapphire was 3 gin : 2 tonic with plenty of fresh lime and it was like a pitcher of a limeade.

experiment! find the right ratio for you. I made a pitcher of 3:2:1 margarita today and I added some lemonade, lemon juice, and extra triple sec because I suspected my audience wouldn't be interesting in a boozy margarita (which is usually what I like.) The result was balanced without being too sweet.

I wonder how grinding quinine bark into the glass like mint leaves would work out.

Bagginses on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

I use Bombay Saphire and either your tastebuds are wonky, you're using an entire lime, or the ratio you're think you're using is not the ratio you're actually using.

I say this as someone who drinks Churchill martini's with Bombay.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I tried to order 2 cement mixers for me and my friend yesterday and the bar didn't have lime juice. What kind of bar doesn't have lime juice!?!

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited June 2011
    JebusUD wrote: »
    I tried to order 2 cement mixers for me and my friend yesterday and the bar didn't have lime juice. What kind of bar doesn't have lime juice!?!

The kind if bar where people aren't embarrassed to order cement mixers obv.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Can anyone recommend a port that
    a) isn't super sweet
    b) is around $20 a bottle?

This is what I picked up over the weekend and its ok, but a little too sweet for my tastes.
    http://www.binnys.com/wine/Sandeman_Founder_s_Reserve_331581.html

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Madpanda wrote: »
    a) isn't super sweet

This is what I picked up over the weekend and its ok, but a little too sweet for my tastes.

I thought port was supposed to be disgustingly sweet.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    It is. A "dry port" is an oxymoron.

If you're looking for a desert wine that is not sweet like a port, consider a full bodied sweet wine of normal variety.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Malkor wrote: »
    a) isn't super sweet

I thought port was supposed to be disgustingly sweet.

There's vintage port, and the NYT did a feature on pairing port with meals, but yeah, it's not like sherry's cream problem where one type has given the entire drink a bad reputation.

Bagginses on
  • Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm looking for something winey tasting with a higher alcohol content than normal wine.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm looking for something winey tasting with a higher alcohol content than normal wine.
    ....brandy?

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Trader Joe's Port was OK for being Trader Joe's Port.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    local flavor policelocal flavor police Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I love this thread. I learn so damn much.

Somtimes I'm reading through all of this alcohol that I can't get around here and it makes me sad. One good thing is access to good local beer. Breckenridge in every liquor store in town all year round. No more flying dog since they moved to the east coast though :?

local flavor police on
    Steam: LocalFlavorPolice
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Last night Casual Eddy and I went to a rum tasting featuring a distillery whose rums have only recently become available in the US: St. Lucia Distillers Group. Three of their premium rums were given, along with a couple of new cocktails whipped up by the bartenders at the Rum House in NYC (pretty great place, by the way).

The first rum was Chairman's Reserve, which is a blended variety. This stuff drinks like a decent bourbon, fairly sweet and good enough with just the glass to hold it. Definitely worth picking up to try for any bourbon or whiskey fans. Second was the TOZ White Gold, another blend but this one is charcoal filtered to remove its color and in the process add a little extra flavor. Definite hints of chocolate are present in it, as well as vanilla and citrus...a good Daiquiri rum. Third came the Chairman's Reserve Spiced, which as the name suggests is a spiced rum. And wow is it spiced! It tastes like Christmas, with really strong cinnamon and allspice flavors coming through right in your nose.

Overall the selection was REALLY good, and is totally worth checking out if you're in a rum mood.

TomeWyrm on
  • Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ah, thanks for the news. I tried to get some of St. Lucia's spiced rum two years back but they weren't exporting. I'll be putting in an order shortly!

lazegamer on
    I would download a car.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Are any of these any good? Please tell me they're good.

Bagginses on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Bagginses wrote: »

I dunno if a wine named after a baseball player is going to be any good

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I wouldn't see using that spiced rum outside of things like spiked eggnog. Although it would be delicious for that.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Bagginses wrote: »

I dunno if a wine named after a baseball player is going to be any good

Relevant: http://newyork.grubstreet.com/2011/06/sloshed_maybe_we_should_be_jud.html
    (the 'clever' section)

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Drinking single estate mezcal. Shit's soooooo good.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Tried the Sierra Nevada Beer Camp Russian Imperial Stout this weekend. From what I understand it's one you can usually only find at the Sierra Nevada brewery in Chico, CA, but my friend works as a rep for the company so I guess one of his perks is being able to nab a bottle here.

It was a pretty great stout. Very chocolatey and malty, with a strong coffee finish. If you can get your hands on a bottle of it it's well worth a try!

TomeWyrm on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    TomeWyrm wrote: »
    Tried the Sierra Nevada Beer Camp Russian Imperial Stout this weekend. From what I understand it's one you can usually only find at the Sierra Nevada brewery in Chico, CA, but my friend works as a rep for the company so I guess one of his perks is being able to nab a bottle here.

It was a pretty great stout. Very chocolatey and malty, with a strong coffee finish. If you can get your hands on a bottle of it it's well worth a try!

Sierra has been killing it lately. The tumbler is one of my favorite beers.

schuss on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    What do you limeys usually put in a pitcher of pimm's?

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So, I've got some elderflower concentrate and I want to make some sort of summery party beverage. Any ideas?

I was thinking either homemade "Absolut Boston" which is elderflower, black tea, and vodka. Or an elderflower flavored mint julep.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

Pimms, Lemonade, mint, fruit and cucumber. My cousin usually puts in slices of orange, apple, and strawberries.

EDIT: Given the conversation in the chat thread that's this kind of lemonade:

284v9.jpg

Not the cloudy stuff.

japan on
  • Options
    TrynantTrynant Maniac Brawler Rank 20.100 and full WildRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Whee! For this weekend I got two growlers: Coast 32/50 Kolsch and Westbrook White Thai, a four bottles: Bell's Pale Ale, Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA, North Coast Old Stock and Sierra Nevada Bigfoot.

Currently sipping on the White Thai (it's like Hoegaarden with a little more character) and am definitely enjoying summer (and summer beers).

EDIT: It's so great to have a store entirely devoted to craft beer that's a 5 minute drive away. They guys there apparently partner up with a gourmet food/butcherblock/restaurant at the end of every month to do a four course meal with each course paired with a different beer that they store owner's gives a talk on. I'm definitely interested in this after hearing that it's a casual affair.

Trynant on
  • Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Bigfoot is one of my favorite American Barleywines. It's got a few months on it now so it won't be as hugely hoppy but it should still be really good. It straddles the line of hoppy without being hugely bitter and still barleywine-ish. Should be an interesting comparison between that and Old Stock.

shadowane on
  • Options
    Dyrwen66Dyrwen66 the other's insane Denver CORegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I picked up some "Alimony Ale" from Buffalo Bill's Brewery in CA. It's really subtle stuff for an IPA, comes on kind of strong and bitter, but has a good round flavor by the end of it.

Dyrwen66 on
    Just an ancient PA person who doesn't leave the house much.
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Tawny port?

mrt144 on
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    japan wrote: »

Pimms, Lemonade, mint, fruit and cucumber. My cousin usually puts in slices of orange, apple, and strawberries.

EDIT: Given the conversation in the chat thread that's this kind of lemonade:

284v9.jpg

Not the cloudy stuff.

We're having pimms tomorrow. Doing cucumber vodka lemonade, pimms, thai basil, and maybe somehting else.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Trynant wrote: »
    Whee! For this weekend I got two growlers: Coast 32/50 Kolsch and Westbrook White Thai, a four bottles: Bell's Pale Ale, Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA, North Coast Old Stock and Sierra Nevada Bigfoot.

Currently sipping on the White Thai (it's like Hoegaarden with a little more character) and am definitely enjoying summer (and summer beers).

EDIT: It's so great to have a store entirely devoted to craft beer that's a 5 minute drive away. They guys there apparently partner up with a gourmet food/butcherblock/restaurant at the end of every month to do a four course meal with each course paired with a different beer that they store owner's gives a talk on. I'm definitely interested in this after hearing that it's a casual affair.
    Pretty good beer list. Bell's needs to get a distributor hooked up for Oregon - I miss their lineup.

Bottle shops within five minutes are one of life's little (totally awesome) pleasures.

The Judge on
    Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So, how much to drink in a week is too much to drink?

I'm not drinking til I pass out or drinking every day or anything like that, but there's this one guy I know who's always saying to me "man, you're gonna get cirrhosis", and he's kinda getting to me (of course, he's kind of an ass and also gives me a hard time for drinking diet sodas).

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The study I've seen had the indicator at more than 30 grams of ethanol a day. Which is around 3-ish drinks or so. And that's over 10-15 years. At that's only a pre-indicator, with a small fraction of those "at risk" developing liver damage.

So if you're not crushing a 6-pack every night or going through a fifth every couple of days, it's a pretty low chance you'll get liver damage.
    Results—Multivariate analysis showed that the risk threshold for developing either cirrhosis or non-cirrhotic liver damage (NCLD) was ingestion of more than 30 g alcohol per day in both sexes. Using this definition, 1349 individuals (21% of the population studied) were at risk. Of these, only 74 (5.5% of the individuals at risk) showed signs of liver damage. The prevalence of “pure” alcoholic cirrhosis was 0.43% (30 of 6917), representing 2.2% of the individuals at risk, with a ratio of men to women of 9:1, while 44 (3.3% of the individuals at risk) showed persistent signs of NCLD. After 50 years of age, the cumulative risk of developing both NCLD and cirrhosis was significantly higher (p<0.0001) for those individuals who regularly drank alcohol both with and without food than for those who drank only at mealtimes.

Conclusions—Our data show that in an open population the risk threshold for developing cirrhosis and NCLD is 30 g ethanol/day, and this risk increases with increasing daily intake. Drinking alcohol outside mealtimes and drinking multiple different alcoholic beverages both increase the risk of developing alcohol induced liver damage.

http://gut.bmj.com/content/41/6/845.abstract

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    AstraphobiaAstraphobia Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt! Root! Sleep! Death!Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Just had a lady in the hospital this week who had been drinking for 30 years. In her 50's. Died of sepsis secondary to cirrhosis and varices. Her husband, also an alcoholic, then came in today in withdrawl after developing seizures.

Then I came home today and had a few beers cause shit that was depressing.

Astraphobia on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I'm gonna make some lavender infused vodka for my mom's 50th birthday. she loves lavender stuff, but I need to think of some drinks I can make with it. I think a lavender vodka tonic might good, maybe a cosmo since she likes those anyway. Any other ideas?

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    Went to a whiskey tasting last night that featured a couple of different brands and quite the range of styles. Cooley Distillery was the star of the evening, showcasing six different bottles of their fine wares.

Greenore - single-grain whiskey aged at a range of years. As the gentleman described it last night, it's a "whiskey drinker's whiskey," and totally good to just sit and sip. He had two different bottles, the 8-year (good) and the 15-year (blew my mind amazing), but the 15 is soon being cycled out so if you find a bottle jump on it!

Kilbeggen - Cooley's blended for the evening, this is basically what you think of when you think of an Irish whiskey. Incredibly affordable (less than $20 for a bottle) and really good, this might replace Jameson as my go-to Irish.

Tyrconnell - a single-malt whiskey made in honor of a 19th century racehorse, it has a clean taste with overtones of bread and even a hint of citrus in there. Very good stuff.

Connemara - this guy is peat-smoked and single-malt, so it leaves you thinking of Scotch. The host had two versions of this (a standard and a 12 year), but since I'm not really a peat fan this was sadly my least favorite of the evening.

Another vendor from Russell's Reserve was there as well with a couple selections.

Wild Turkey 81 - the newest bourbon in the Wild Turkey line, this one is very mixable but still maintains the sweetness and kick of the brand.

Russell's Reserve 10 Year - a solid bourbon with a little more burn on it than the Turkey, this is a beautifully colored drink with nice sweet finishes and hints of cinnamon and a certain nuttiness.

Overall a really good selection last night, and enough to get my head fuzzy and not worry about the rain outside! For those in/around NYC, Ward III holds weekly whiskey tastings on Mondays, so you should totally check it out sometime!