As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SYSTEMS ADMINS & IT MONKEYS] TrackPoint is trademarked. Call it a clit mouse instead.

• Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    So, something in my server rack is beeping about every 5 minutes. Visually, I see no fault lights or anything out of the ordinary. I've looked at every machine remotely and there seems to be no errors.

So.... I dunno.

Edit: Just found it. Apparently the last time our ISP came out to upgrade the router they plugged it into their own little UPS tucked in behind the rack, and it claims it needs a new battery.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Woot427 wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    Anyone aware of an app that can find all IPs on my network and figure out what OS they're using? I'm trying to track down a rogue server in the rackmount and I'm not really wanting to rip it out to get a monitor attached to it.

I know it's an ubuntu system, and there's only 3 of them, so it would help me greatly save time and effort doing it.

I've used nmap before. You can pass it an IP address range and it should try to guess the OS. There may be a better tool, but I've used this and it is pretty decent. The scan could take awhile depending on how many hosts on the network though.

http://nmap.org/download.html

Note that I've had it turns up unknowns often dependent on the firewall settings of the machine, but I haven't seen it be a problem with linux boxes. It usually gets those right, even to the kernel version.

Wow this tool is really cool.

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    I should take a picture of our server room and one of the spots we've got a switch for the up-stairs portion of the office.

I bet you guys would either laugh so hard you cried, or you'd just cry.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    You should see our wiring... the company that did this oh my god I'm not even sure why he paid them.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Mine's pretty bad too. I'm actually in the server room right now. It's about 10ft by 5ft, and half is used up by cubicle walls and desk parts. The other half is me sitting at a desk that has the most uncomfortable chair ever... And cables thrown about.

• Options
    Yeah I can see why nmap can be dangerous.

• Options
    I'll put up a picture soon of it... oh my god is it ever terrible... and I've actually cleaned it up from what it was.

I actually got it to the point now where I can roll out the rackmount because it doesn't have 400 wires pouring out of it (just two power cables and a cross over cable to the main switch).

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    urahonky wrote: »

teehee... I'm like 90% sure you can even wire it up to run scripts in, like, metasploit. It's quite neat and very useful when poking about a new, undocumented network.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    redx wrote: »

teehee... I'm like 90% sure you can even wire it up to run scripts in, like, metasploit. It's quite neat and very useful when poking about a new, undocumented network.

That's EXACTLY what I thought it could be used for.

urahonky on
  • Options
    On the plus side I found that server.

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Them at 3:30 PM: "The Voip phone at our remote location is down."
    Me at 3:30 PM: "Okay." <insert checking things here.>
    Me at 3:30 PM: "When did it go down?"
    Them: "When they got in this morning."

Me: .......

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    Google Apps + Outlook 2010 just don't get along. My manager is having an issue that is rather annoying. He's had 8 years of emails saved up. So it's well over the 50GB limit that Outlook handles... So when he sends/receives his emails it has to sync all 50+GBs worth of data. I want to just move all that email to a PST and start over but there's no easy way other than copy/paste everything into a new PST file and then delete everything else.

• Options
    We've decided to just create a new PST file, and right click-> move every folder he has into this new PST file and be done with it.

• Options
    Who the hell keeps 50 gigs of emails. Hell I squig at 1 gig. Shit's not a file storage.

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Who the hell keeps 50 gigs of emails. Hell I squig at 1 gig. Shit's not a file storage.
    Lots of people treat it that way. Users think email is much easier than it actually is.

Office Live lets you do 25 GB. Which is waaaaaayyyy more than you should ever need. But means that you never have to worry about some idiot blowing up your Exchange server by getting sent a million vacation photos from his wife or something.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Yeah, there's a lot of users in my org that keep all their email from forever for forever. Some as CYA, some because they are too lazy to move things to a PST file. I just dump anything older than 6 months ago into a PST every once in a while, and call it good.

• Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Lots of people treat it that way. Users think email is much easier than it actually is.

Office Live lets you do 25 GB. Which is waaaaaayyyy more than you should ever need. But means that you never have to worry about some idiot blowing up your Exchange server by getting sent a million vacation photos from his wife or something.

Which is stupid when you think about how much of a footprint that would take up in a robust backup system. That's a bigger issue to me at least.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Ugh, nothing is more irritating than going from enterprise support systems where I can tell a company tech support person what part I need shipped to a personal computing tech support person who has to go through his script and won't just send you the part you want but needs you to send in your whole laptop for repair....

I'm half considering just buying my own parts, but supposedly HP uses a "whitelist" BIOS which won't boot parts that aren't supposed to be installed. WORST. IDEA. EVER.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    mrt144 wrote: »

Which is stupid when you think about how much of a footprint that would take up in a robust backup system. That's a bigger issue to me at least.

We use Google App's with Exchange 2010 and I had one user with something like 20,000+ emails...oh yeah and we have a ummm..."silly goose" DSL line, we implemented Google App's about 4 months ago and I'm pretty sure her email is STILL doing the initial sync!!!!

signature.png
  • Options

Project Manager who gets about 13 emails a day with .xl/ppt/doc attachments. This has been going on for 8 years.

• Options
    Institute a policy that blocks incoming and outgoing email if it breaches 900 megs. Show the manager how to create a folder on their desktop to save these attachments.

Worst thing about exchange is it encourages these silly geese like behaviors in people.

• Options
    Institute a policy that blocks incoming and outgoing email if it breaches 900 megs. Show the manager how to create a folder on their desktop to save these attachments.

Worst thing about exchange is it encourages these silly geese like behaviors in people.

We use Google apps at our place. I'm not even sure if I have the ability to do this.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Looking at a client’s laptop; it had some issues that led us to format it. Before doing so, I ran the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard.

Now, with the newly-rebuilt XP install, restoring from the wizard doesn’t seem to do anything. I downloaded a Microsoft-recommended-but-not-supported tool called Fastconv that’s supposed to be able to unpack these archives (I have this USMT folder with 7 ~2GB .DAT files), but it just tells me “source store is invalid.”

Anyone have any ideas, or am I out of luck on this one?

• Options
    AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    Anyone have any experience with ethernet extenders? I've got a site with a remote building that has 900' of cat5 running to it from the main building. I was able to get them a phone with an AT adapter, but that's it (not unexpected, since it's 3x over the spec). It would be nice to get network access out there. I've got some 1" conduit for the 900' run, so I could run other cables that would fit. There is no way to break up the run, so it has to be 900', I can't do it in segments.

I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • Options
    Jesus you would need like... 6 repeaters for that wouldn't you?

• Options
    AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's ridiculous. I'm looking at something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833114042

33-114-042-TS?$S300W$

I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • Options
    6 repeaters to keep 1 Gbit/sec proper to it, those look like you'd get 75 MBit/sec at the distance you're going. Not bad. So long as it's just internet you won't notice a difference, but if it's file transfers you'll notice the slow down.

I'm assuming it's a 10/100 network right, and not gigabit? Even better, you'll barely notice the difference me thinks if this is the case.

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular

And then I spend all my time listening to people bitch about the email limits (which was happening constantly).

Especially in a smaller office, it's just more worthwhile to outsource it to Microsoft, and not give a shit what they keep in their inbox. Plus, then we don't have to pay to do the backup; Microsoft takes care of it.

• Options
    punkpunk Professional Network Nerd Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    AtomBomb wrote: »
    Anyone have any experience with ethernet extenders? I've got a site with a remote building that has 900' of cat5 running to it from the main building. I was able to get them a phone with an AT adapter, but that's it (not unexpected, since it's 3x over the spec). It would be nice to get network access out there. I've got some 1" conduit for the 900' run, so I could run other cables that would fit. There is no way to break up the run, so it has to be 900', I can't do it in segments.

Run multimode fiber and put a copper to fiber transceiver at each end, like one of these. You could also use a directional wireless bridge.

Edited to add: it would be idea to run the fiber and terminate it to an LIU at each end, but you're starting to look at an expensive job for a professional cable company at that point.

punk on
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    I assume your switch gear doesn't have GBIC or mini-GBIC port(s) for a fiber run? If you're happy with just 70 Mbps, then those modules you showed are fine without needing to pull new cable. If not and you do need gigabit speeds, newegg has similar style stand alone fiber converters, just make sure they're the actual gigabit ones: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833114014 But the 300m of 2xSC multimode fiber isn't cheap either ($200-350).

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options

And then I spend all my time listening to people bitch about the email limits (which was happening constantly).

Especially in a smaller office, it's just more worthwhile to outsource it to Microsoft, and not give a shit what they keep in their inbox. Plus, then we don't have to pay to do the backup; Microsoft takes care of it.

I just matter-of-factly tell them that these are the limits and there's no way to change it. Deal with it the proper way, saving files and critical emails you need to hard drive and deleting the rest.

I mean, it's not like we let people store packages and mail in their post office box for later, same thing should apply to email.

• Options
    Plus it makes backing up the actual important stuff that much harder.

• Options
    Have you guys been keeping up with the Flame malware? Apparently it spoofed the Windows Update and tricked computers that were on the same network as the malware into thinking there was a new update available, and this update was Flame. (Note: This is a severely dumbed down explanation of what it did)

If you haven't already I'd suggest looking to see if you have the Windows Update from around 6/3/2012 it should be KB2718704 and 2677070. This should be for Windows Vista and above.

• Options
    If you're not on the same network as the Iranian Nuclear Program in question your chance of getting infected was about 0.

• Options
    If you're not on the same network as the Iranian Nuclear Program in question your chance of getting infected was about 0.

Agreed. Except the concern, now, is that there will be copycats.

• Options
    Eh, what kind of people keep bluetooth + cameras + microphones hooked up to their computer (LET ALONE NUCLEAR PROGRAM COMPUTERS WHAT THE FUCK?) that this would be an issue? ;)

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular

Project Manager who gets about 13 emails a day with .xl/ppt/doc attachments. This has been going on for 8 years.

You need a document management system rather than sending documents via email. That's cray cray.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    For a moment I thought you were at my old job, but their run was actually shorter than that. Though if you can get them on fiber, cause we had a lightning storm there that wrecked both ends of that connection, and even after the cable and repeater, and the switch were replaced, it was awful after that.

More awful than it had been.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

Agreed. Except the concern, now, is that there will be copycats.

Hasn't MS revoked the SSL certificate though? It's a pretty unique line of attack because it depends on having a Windows update private key file.

• Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's ridiculous. I'm looking at something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833114042

33-114-042-TS?$S300W$

Wouldn't it be better to switch to another cable type /system alltogether like Optical fiber to bridge this distance? (Unless the network infrastructure is in place already)

This discussion has been closed.