As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SYSTEMS ADMINS & IT MONKEYS] TrackPoint is trademarked. Call it a clit mouse instead.

19596979899101»

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Jesus... Excel work on an iPad? That sounds awful and a complete waste of productivity...

Do you work for my company?

*sigh*

We have a remote location that a mechanic type now needs to edit an excel spreadsheet and then print it off/email it off every day. So someone had the bright idea of getting the guy an Ipad and letting them do their thing on that. Oh wait, I can view Excel but not edit it at all so let's call the sys admin and see what he says after spending the money for the Ipad.

The real annoyance is that there is a desktop there that has Excel/internet access to do all this but someone above my pay grade wanted to give the mechanic freedom to roam around the location instead of just walking to the desktop.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I'll take the ipad off your hands.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Can he remote into that desktop and edit it from the iPad?

• Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    http://site.cloudon.com/ works surprisingly well for getting Office on the iPad.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    Can he remote into that desktop and edit it from the iPad?

:rotate:

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I didn't say it was a terrible idea but if he doesn't have any other options that might be the only way... Which is funny because now that he can move around he's still tethered to that desktop.

• Options
    I told them about Numbers so they are currently testing it out now. And yes, he could remote into the desktop and do it through that which would be so amusing.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    I told them about Numbers so they are currently testing it out now. And yes, he could remote into the desktop and do it through that which would be so amusing.

You misspelled amazing(ly hilarious).

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Alright, I'm now in the enviable position of having to set up an SFTP client on a Windows server. Apparently they were using FTPS but something changed on with one of their vendors or customers or something and now it needs to be changed and of course the timeframe is yesterday.

Anyone want to recommend an application to host this? I imagine finding a solid free one might be out of the question.

• Options
    Wait do you need a server or a client @TL DR. There are plenty of freeware clients.

• Options
    bowen wrote: »
    lwt1973 wrote: »

You misspelled amazing(ly hilarious).

Which is now what they are thinking of doing as I found out they need Word editing too.

• Options
    Did they not realize that no, an ipad is not windows compatible?

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Wait do you need a server or a client @TL DR. There are plenty of freeware clients.

Server.

• Options
    Any SSH server should be able to support a SCP (SFTP?) transfer? If you're in linux any of the SSHds work fine for that I thought.

I guess I should question your architecture there. What kind of server/OS/Firewall? Windows makes this a bit more tricksy.

• Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    yeah, he's running windows

I thought there was a proper openssh port to windows, but all I came up with my 30 seconds of searching is the cygwin version (including a stripped down packaged cygwin version). This might be sufficient, I don't know.

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    Jesus...

Ubuntu image running on a really stripped down virtual box VM, providing access to a shared folder through VM which routes to the folders in question.

That is probably the least convoluted way to get this working on windows without spending money.

• Options

After they spent the money, talked to me, and are trying it out, they found that to be true.

Them: "Yeah, I think we got ahead of ourselves on this one."

And now they are talking about using the desktop there and another traveling mechanic using the ipad as a bigger screen iphone and camera.

• Options
    lolwut

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    I need to setup a proxy server (forward proxy) that will break communications between our client and the server. Can any of you guys point me to resources that would help me setup a non-transparent proxy?

• Options
    Like a socks proxy or something?

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    ipad for a camera :rotate:

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    @Bowen good question. The thing is we seem to work fine on the few proxy types I've been involved in testing with (WPAD, ISA web proxy, some SOCKS proxies), but a big partner does something different (as does a handful of other large organizations we deal with). And they're cagey as fuck when I ask for more info on how exactly communications are proxied outbound. Best I've been able to suss out is "it's a script that's run" and such script sends you to different proxies based on what subnet or VLAN you're on; to which I'm thinking "WTF are you talking about?". We're fine with most "transparent" proxies evidently.

When working with these types of clients there's only so far I feel I can push for info before I think I've viewed as an irritant, so at this point I think I've exhausted getting more info out of them and I just need to setup a proxy and start changing stuff till I break client-server comms. Not sure where to start since I've only really used ISA and appliances in depth. What I was hoping for was a recommended distribution plus a primer/doc, cause I can take it from there. I there anything like that or am I going to have to just into configuring Apache as a forward proxy from scratch?

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    ipad for a camera :rotate:

On my honeymoon a few weeks ago we took a trip out to Alcatraz. Some idiot couple were taking photos on the boat, leaning over the edge with an iPad.

Never more than then did I wish for choppy water.

• Options
    Saw someone recording a wedding using an iPad. That made me guffaw every time I looked at them.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    If I go somewhere and see someone using the iPad as a camera, that instantly becomes the most intriguing thing there, and I can't help but take pictures of that person as they take pictures. I find myself wondering what horrible things might have happened in their life to lead up to this moment, where they appear to be using a device that is sized like an A4 sheet of paper to take a photograph.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Djeet wrote: »
    @Bowen good question. The thing is we seem to work fine on the few proxy types I've been involved in testing with (WPAD, ISA web proxy, some SOCKS proxies), but a big partner does something different (as does a handful of other large organizations we deal with). And they're cagey as fuck when I ask for more info on how exactly communications are proxied outbound. Best I've been able to suss out is "it's a script that's run" and such script sends you to different proxies based on what subnet or VLAN you're on; to which I'm thinking "WTF are you talking about?". We're fine with most "transparent" proxies evidently.

When working with these types of clients there's only so far I feel I can push for info before I think I've viewed as an irritant, so at this point I think I've exhausted getting more info out of them and I just need to setup a proxy and start changing stuff till I break client-server comms. Not sure where to start since I've only really used ISA and appliances in depth. What I was hoping for was a recommended distribution plus a primer/doc, cause I can take it from there. I there anything like that or am I going to have to just into configuring Apache as a forward proxy from scratch?

Sounds like they're using iproute2 and squid or something to me.

Their transparent proxy is likely to override your non-transparent proxy though. You'll need to tunnel through an unaffected PC/server at the other end with an unaffected service, like SSH.

• Options
    If I go somewhere and see someone using the iPad as a camera, that instantly becomes the most intriguing thing there, and I can't help but take pictures of that person as they take pictures. I find myself wondering what horrible things might have happened in their life to lead up to this moment, where they appear to be using a device that is sized like an A4 sheet of paper to take a photograph.

It my appear to be terrible, but really really handy to get a nice shot of something that an iphone looks shitty at.

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited November 2012

It my appear to be terrible, but really really handy to get a nice shot of something that an iphone looks shitty at.

This, basically. The lens on the back of my iPhone is (somehow) scratched to hell, so when I care about a picture and I don't have a "real" camera around, iPad it is because it takes great friggin' photos.'

Alternate response: I HATE YOU ALL QUIT MAKING FUN OF ME IM GOING TO GO CRY IN THE BATHROOM WITH MOANING MYRTLE AND ESCAPE INTO A MAGICAL WIZARDING WORLD ABLOOBLOOBLOOBLOO!

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    I can only hope by the time my ipad gets here people won't guffaw at me as I hipster-capture images with it.

• Options
    JibbaJibba Registered User regular
    You can do it through Splashtop but controlling a desktop environment on an iPad is not fun. You can probably learn it though.

I do it on my Transformer Prime though, because it has the keyboard/touchpad. I'm not sure what mouse/keyboard accessories are available for an iPad but there might be something that you can carry around for it. If not, just learn all the Splashtop gestures. Once you're in Excel/Word, there's not that much mouse manipulation.

• Options
    Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    You can do Citrix sessions too if you've got the infrastructure. My of my team members when he's on-call and needs to keep an eye on things, has his iPad controlling his PC in the office.

• Options
    Any SSH server should be able to support a SCP (SFTP?) transfer? If you're in linux any of the SSHds work fine for that I thought.

I guess I should question your architecture there. What kind of server/OS/Firewall? Windows makes this a bit more tricksy.
    Windows Server 2008 behind a SonicWALL, I think.
    Jesus...

Ubuntu image running on a really stripped down virtual box VM, providing access to a shared folder through VM which routes to the folders in question.

That is probably the least convoluted way to get this working on windows without spending money.
    Thanks, I'll look into it. I think previously they were using CrushFTP on the Windows box, but it would either not start as a service or if it did the whole app would sometimes lock up and have to be restarted anyway.

• Options
    Firezilla is out of the picture there? That's my goto FTP server.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Should we start a new thread? We're at 101 already.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    Firezilla is out of the picture there? That's my goto FTP server.

Do you mean FileZilla? I use that also.

• Options
    Yeah filezilla, I am sleepy ignore my fuckups.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Robot Santa, we have too many monkeys in here. Close the thread, they can find a new home.

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Echo. Closing thread...

This discussion has been closed.