As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SYSTEMS ADMINS & IT MONKEYS] TrackPoint is trademarked. Call it a clit mouse instead.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    If your service doesn't use a dedicated on-site device/server to proxy your SIP traffic, every SIP phone will need to be configured separately. Each phone will need a static IP and it's own SIP and RTP ports, just number them sequentially. Then you'll need to port forward every one of those ports to their respective phone IP's. You'd have to set the ports each phone is using in the PBX config.

Of course, you'll need to get this working for one phone first.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Is there a better way to view .psts than opening them up in Outlook and browsing through them that way? Ideally, some sort of program that would go through all of the emails in whatever order (probably date order) with their attachments and turn them into a single .pdf?

Failing that, is there a .pst viewer that makes it easier to look through them digitally?

• Options
    PriestPriest Registered User regular
    Hey, quick question for you sysops!

I'm creating a bootable 64GB Drive using YUMI, and so far I am planning to load:

Windows AIK / PE
    Mac OS X Lion Installer
    Kaspersky
    MemTest86
    Derek's Boot & Nuke

I would like to load a live, working Linux install on there too, so I have an OS-on-a-stick. Do you guys have any recommendations along that line for prebuilts? I think Ubuntu has something going? Maybe Fedora?

Do you guys recommend any other bootable utilities I should put on there?

Also, is Windows AIK / PE reverse compatible? The website implies that you can only deploy Win7 builds with it, and we still have XP machines in use that get re-imaged from time to time.

Thanks!

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Looks like the AIK is able to service copies of WinXP with SP2 and hotfix KB926044, but I have no clue about fresh deployment.

• Options
    Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    Cross posting from the Programming thread:

Does anyone here work from home / remotely? I may be getting a chance to do it full-time and I was wondering what I can try to get my company to pay for / tax deduct. I'd be remoting in, so I'd need a PC/internet/etc and while I do have those now, since they are not 100% for work use, do I deduct a percentage? Just try to get them to bump my pay a little as not using company resources?

Or am I just hoping too much?

Note: In Canada.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    If your service doesn't use a dedicated on-site device/server to proxy your SIP traffic, every SIP phone will need to be configured separately. Each phone will need a static IP and it's own SIP and RTP ports, just number them sequentially. Then you'll need to port forward every one of those ports to their respective phone IP's. You'd have to set the ports each phone is using in the PBX config.

Of course, you'll need to get this working for one phone first.

So, in theory I could/would put an asterisk box in the middle, perhaps?

I would prefer to minimize the amount of port forwarding and so forth required.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Is there a better way to view .psts than opening them up in Outlook and browsing through them that way? Ideally, some sort of program that would go through all of the emails in whatever order (probably date order) with their attachments and turn them into a single .pdf?

Failing that, is there a .pst viewer that makes it easier to look through them digitally?

I can't speak to how well this works or not, since I haven't used this before, but this looks like something right up your alley, at least for a way to view a .pst file w/out using Outlook:

http://www.nucleustechnologies.com/pst-viewer.html

signature.png
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Does anyone know why explorer starts acting completely stupid in Windows 7?

I've a few machines in the office with rather expansive stats - 7200RPM Sata drives (minimum), i7 processors, 8+GB ram.

But for some reason Explorer goes funny sometimes, most usually in the Users\<user>\Download directory, but occasionally the C:\temp directory.

Most often it manifests itself in the address bar slowly filling up as a progress bar, during which time the explorer window is partially responding (until the bar fills completely, which it rarely does, it just sits with <2 mm of bar to fill and waits) - you can scroll up and down or use the keys to instantly jump to files, but search doesn't work, sorting files by a field (such as date) doesn't work, right clicking files results in the wait cursor the context menu doesn't show, deleting a file shows "Preparing to recycle/delete".

Is this an indexing function? Is it something weird with the hard drives refusing to respond because of the drop protection going haywire? Microsoft security essentials ruining my life? Something else?

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Hmm, given the locations you listed and the progress bar thing I'm going to guess you're on the right track with the indexing. Possibly something is interfering with it as it does it, cause it should be able to finish. Are there like, a hojillion tiny files in there?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    One thousand at most. A few zip files though.

• Options
    That might be it then. It could be indexing the contents of the zips as well. And I think for folders like that that it doesn't monitor constantly (unlike your documents or whatever) it will redo it every so often when you open it. You might try adding those locations to the list that it all always indexes and see if that changes.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So...

the IBM technician assigned to my case doesn't know what the IBM ServerGuide Scripting Toolkit is. Didn't believe me that it was an IBM supplied tool. Asked me to link him to the download link.

I am worried.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    So here's a fun issue. Every computer in my building (and domain) supposedly is rebooting on Friday night at 8:00 PM.
    I have the following in my Event Log:
    EventID: 1074
    Source: USER32
    User: NT Authority\System
    Description: The process winlogon.exe has initiated the restart of COMPUTER for the following reason: No title for this reason could be found
    Minor Reason: 0xff
    Shutdown Type: reboot

It sounds like Automatic Updates, right? Except according to domain policy, they are scheduled daily at 3:00 AM and are set to not reboot or install updates that require reboot if a user is logged on. This event is shutting down on all of my users during the worst time possible. I checked places like EventID.net and it didn't really have anything that seemed similar.

Any ideas?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    So...

the IBM technician assigned to my case doesn't know what the IBM ServerGuide Scripting Toolkit is. Didn't believe me that it was an IBM supplied tool. Asked me to link him to the download link.

I am worried.

Ouch...Can you go up the ladder?

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    Urgh.

If it isn't connected to the network does it shut down?
    If you set the time on a computer to 7.58 does it shutdown once 8 rolls around?
    If it's on the network but you enable a firewall to block everything incoming (but not outgoing) does it happen?
    Can you run wireshark on the machine for the 5 minutes before shutdown to see if you can at least figure out where the command is coming from (assuming it's coming from a network machine/remote command )?
    If you join a new machine to the domain does it happen? If you join a new machine but prevent it from inheriting group policy?
    Could some joker have scripted whatever the non-interactive equivalent of shutdown -i, select everything in the domain, restart?

Obviously by "it" I mean a specific computer on which you are running tests.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Urgh.

If it isn't connected to the network does it shut down?
    If you set the time on a computer to 7.58 does it shutdown once 8 rolls around?
    If it's on the network but you enable a firewall to block everything incoming (but not outgoing) does it happen?
    Can you run wireshark on the machine for the 5 minutes before shutdown to see if you can at least figure out where the command is coming from (assuming it's coming from a network machine/remote command )?
    If you join a new machine to the domain does it happen? If you join a new machine but prevent it from inheriting group policy?
    Could some joker have scripted whatever the non-interactive equivalent of shutdown -i, select everything in the domain, restart?

Obviously by "it" I mean a specific computer on which you are running tests.

Yeah, These are all the steps I need to get through today and tomorrow before the end of day.

It will not be fun.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    So... what the fuck is a sharepoint server? It appears to just be a file/information sharing web server?

• Options
    FrysdiskenFrysdisken Registered User regular
    So... what the fuck is a sharepoint server? It appears to just be a file/information sharing web server?

Sharepoint Foundation Server? ECM system, that most of the time is used a intranet portal, atleast where I'm from.

• Options
    punkpunk Professional Network Nerd Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    0b0dce26c6d011e19ab222000a1e8819_7.jpg

*sob*

This is only three of six cabinets that I removed from our data center today. It's so much worse under the floor. If you've ever wondered what 20 years of ancient network/telecom gear and shitty, lazy techs gets you: ta-da!

punk on
  • Options

It can be lots of things.

Wiki, document management server, collaboration tool, document library, replacement for public folders, other stuff.

But yes, at its base it is a file/information management web server - it does other things with that information, it can intelligently react to changes based on what you tell it to do, it can perform automated functions, it has a clever indexer and search service and no end of other things.

It is also 10 million times more complicated than it sounds from just the description of its capabilities.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Does anyone know why explorer starts acting completely stupid in Windows 7?

I've a few machines in the office with rather expansive stats - 7200RPM Sata drives (minimum), i7 processors, 8+GB ram.

But for some reason Explorer goes funny sometimes, most usually in the Users\<user>\Download directory, but occasionally the C:\temp directory.

Most often it manifests itself in the address bar slowly filling up as a progress bar, during which time the explorer window is partially responding (until the bar fills completely, which it rarely does, it just sits with <2 mm of bar to fill and waits) - you can scroll up and down or use the keys to instantly jump to files, but search doesn't work, sorting files by a field (such as date) doesn't work, right clicking files results in the wait cursor the context menu doesn't show, deleting a file shows "Preparing to recycle/delete".

Is this an indexing function? Is it something weird with the hard drives refusing to respond because of the drop protection going haywire? Microsoft security essentials ruining my life? Something else?

It could be antivirus software going nuts for whatever reason. Another a good candidate is SuperFetch, which has probably decided that it needs to fill that 8 gb of RAM with a lot of the files you're about to use - even though it assigns background priority to the task, it still ends up hanging everything else because you spend a lot of time waiting for the disk to respond.

As far as I can tell the only solution is to get an SSD.

EDIT: Just noticed you said MSE. Basically what I think happens is that indexing opens all the files to index them, then MSE scans all those files, and then superfetch decides that all this activity on these files means they should be moved into RAM, and then everything dies because the hard disk is doing a bazillion little file accesses.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    So, this DCWG thing has been all over the news. Maybe I've been playing too much of The Secret World, but I'm hesitant to hit the site.

If I were real big into conspiracy theories, this one would be right at the top of my list.

"You may have gotten a virus on your computer that will make your computer stop working next week because we "caught" the "hackers" that created their virus and took over their servers. Just hit up our website to "fix" your computer's DNS entries and all be right with the world"

Where's my tinfoil hat?

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I thought the same thing tbh. So into chrome incognito mode I went.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Windows XP question:

When running this SATA HDD the OS was initially installed with AHCI enabled. Now I want to run this HDD in IDE mode, which means I need to find a way to disable AHCI. If I don't, when I switch to IDE mode, I get a blue screen. I can't seem to find any information on DISABLING ACHI, but a ton of information on how to enable it. Any tips?

I found the AHCI registry key (iaStore.sys) and I set the "Start" DWORD to 0, which I thought would disable it.

urahonky on
  • Options
    AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    Anyone got a favorite router for doing public wifi setups? I've been using the ASUS RT-N12 with DD-
    WRT, but I've had a few fail recently so I'm thinking about a change. The people that put these in are concerned about teens finding boobs on the internet, so I've been using OpenDNS. DD-WRT is nice because you can block DNS requests if they try to get around it.

Also, some of the buildings I've put these in are huge and the wiring isn't that great ("100' of wall? No need to put power anywhere on this!"). I'm also looking for some AP's, and I'm thinking that PoE might be nice. That way after I run my network cables (which I'd have to do anyway) I don't have to try to find power. Anyone have a favorite?

I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • Options
    WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Any AIX wizards here?

I'm trying to clone 1 new machine to an older one we have. I did a mksysb to tape, booted up the old machine from the tape and just when it starts to install I get

"load volume #2 and hit enter" (there is only the 1 tape so I try hitting enter here)

Then i get a system out of memory malloc() failed.

ideas?

Weretaco on
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    Beltaine wrote: »
    So, this DCWG thing has been all over the news. Maybe I've been playing too much of The Secret World, but I'm hesitant to hit the site.

If I were real big into conspiracy theories, this one would be right at the top of my list.

"You may have gotten a virus on your computer that will make your computer stop working next week because we "caught" the "hackers" that created their virus and took over their servers. Just hit up our website to "fix" your computer's DNS entries and all be right with the world"

Where's my tinfoil hat?

The only bits I've heard about it have been from a birther relative that is reposting news from Glenn Beck's site. Yeah, fuck that, if that guy is advocating it, then it's evil in some way.

• Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    Can anybody recommend a good vacuum/blower to clean computers/servers internals with?

Unfortunately the "temporary" location the consultant decided on last year for our brand new server rack became permanent since the cost to move it to our proper server room is $12k+. The temporary location is just an electrical closet with no temperature control, and no air filtering of any kind (the rack is just coated in dust D: .)

I had our engineering department rig in a filter of some kind, but the dust is already there, and I will have to power down every unit in the rack and clean it out (the tape drive/loader has already failed twice in about a year due to the dust.) Almost everything is fully redundant in the rack (except the two SANs which will have to be blown out through any vents they have I guess.)

So yeah... now that i'm done venting. Vacuum ideas?

• Options
    I hate that users refuse to read.

Everyone sends every NDR to me with "Are we having email issues?"

You can read "Mailbox storage quota exceeded" just as well as I can!

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

Yeah, but it's nestled within a bunch of scary stuff and after the first line with the acronyms and numbers it hits that "computer problem" filter in the user's brain and they sigh contentedly, free of having to apply any more reasoning as then forward it to you.

• Options
    TL DR wrote: »

Yeah, but it's nestled within a bunch of scary stuff and after the first line with the acronyms and numbers it hits that "computer problem" filter in the user's brain and they sigh contentedly, free of having to apply any more reasoning as then forward it to you.
    Yeah, its like, as soon something because even remotely computer related, they completely forget English. Everything suddenly becomes computer jargon, especially 'hard' words like 'quota'.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    Windows XP question:

When running this SATA HDD the OS was initially installed with AHCI enabled. Now I want to run this HDD in IDE mode, which means I need to find a way to disable AHCI. If I don't, when I switch to IDE mode, I get a blue screen. I can't seem to find any information on DISABLING ACHI, but a ton of information on how to enable it. Any tips?

I found the AHCI registry key (iaStore.sys) and I set the "Start" DWORD to 0, which I thought would disable it.

Generally a repair will fix it.

However try this page:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/269592-32-switch-ahci-format-install

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Madpoet wrote: »
    Beltaine wrote: »

Where's my tinfoil hat?

The only bits I've heard about it have been from a birther relative that is reposting news from Glenn Beck's site. Yeah, fuck that, if that guy is advocating it, then it's evil in some way.
    Is it this thing? I couldn't see DCWG in there anywhere, but the story sounds the same. If it's on Ars, you can trust it.
    http://arstechnica.com/security/2012/07/still-infected-300000-pcs-to-lose-internet-access-july-9/

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    Windows XP question:

Generally a repair will fix it.

However try this page:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/269592-32-switch-ahci-format-install

The registry keys he mentions don't exist in Windows XP. :(

• Options
    Try a repair with the windows disk. Anything other than that usually a reformat is your only solution.

• Options
    Try a repair with the windows disk. Anything other than that usually a reformat is your only solution.

Trying the repair now....

Annnd it just blue screened. Got through the beginning (blue screen that loads all the drivers)... Then 0x7E error on pci.sys. Sigh...

• Options
    Can anyone point me in the right direction as to why the "Repair" option isn't showing up in Windows XP? Some places are saying that it's a corrupted Registry Hive, and others are telling me to run a Live Linux distro and do a partition repair. I have been spending all damn day JUST to get this stupid thing to repair and nothing has worked so far.

Please can anyone help me?

• Options
    Why not reinstall then. It usually pops up right when the CD runs up. "Hit F3 to run repair" or whatever.

If you're spending 8 hours trying to repair, chances are it's better to spend 2 to reformat.

• Options
    Why not reinstall then. It usually pops up right when the CD runs up. "Hit F3 to run repair" or whatever.

If you're spending 8 hours trying to repair, chances are it's better to spend 2 to reformat.

The thing is that this computer also holds one of our production software. So I'd rather not just wipe it... at least not without talking to the guy who is working on this machine (who happens to be out today). I think I'm going to look around for a used HDD that we're not using and just put it on there because this is just fucking stupid.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    In case anyone wants to point and laugh at me: Apparently the OS that was on the HDD was Home Edition and I was using Pro. I didn't even think businesses actually BOUGHT Windows XP Home Edition. My fault, I guess, for assuming.

urahonky on
This discussion has been closed.