As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SYSTEMS ADMINS & IT MONKEYS] TrackPoint is trademarked. Call it a clit mouse instead.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Fffffffffffuuuuuuu

Client gave me his old PC, said it was junk.

Called a few days later, says "OMG my hard drive has crucial data!"

I say 8-) "Sure, I'll send it to you"

At some point, the plastic backing to the data connector broke off and is missing, leaving exposed pins.

TL DR on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Fffffffffffuuuuuuu

Client gave me his old PC, said it was junk.

Called a few days later, says "OMG my hard drive has crucial data!"

I say 8-) "Sure, I'll send it to you"

At some point, the plastic backing to the data connector broke off and is missing, leaving exposed pins.

Urgh, i've had that. The plastic breaking off.. a real pita. Thankfully you don't really get that on SAS and SATA drives. The old loads of pins connector types need to diaf, i've had the connector breaking off with all sorts and with others i've had some of the pins literally break off.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It's a SATA drive

TL DR on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Well, this could be more fun.

We have a web designer contractor and a web app developer. They both had full access to our live website because of a range of idiosynratic demands from the web developer.

This has lead to repeated clobbering of the app developer's updates and fixes by contractor. We use a garbage CMS, against my recommendation. We will be moving to drupal, but that takes time. In the meantime I am kludging together a subversion mechanism for synchronisation.

Things should not be this hard, but I have no time, everything is super time sensitive and I am doing an integration across the other side of the country for all of next week. As the senior technical person everyone is looking to me to fix it.

*grumble* People make decisions without me, without my counsel, then when they go wrong, I have to fix it.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Going back to the printers thing:

Was just chatting to a user about why she was printing a 200 page document to a little HP Laserjet. Apparently she doesn't like the big Ricoh. I ask why.

She says it's so slow that nobody uses it for A4, and when they need A3 they print A4 on the HP and then blow it up on the photocopier. That's how bad it is.

So, err, avoid Ricohs like the fucking plague.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The thought of the sheer amount of paper and toner waste is making me feel just a little queasy...

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The thought of the sheer amount of paper and toner waste is making me feel just a little queasy...

That's just the cancer from the toner particles. It'll pass.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    My firm is about to partner with a printer support company. We'll refer them our printer issues, and they're sending us the businesses they encounter that need managed services. 8-)

TL DR on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Sheep wrote: »
    I have a user unable to RDP into her desktop machine. I have learned that the shortcut she's using is pointed to the WAN address (router has a port forwarding rule) and the laptop she's trying to connect from is on the same network.

I imagine it's a conflict of some sort at the firewall, trying to pass traffic out and back in on the same address/port? Perhaps a second shortcut with her workstation's LAN address would be the way to go here.

I don't think it would be a firewall issue unless there were access control lists setup to prohibit RDP'ing from machines within the same network.

I wonder what the issue is then? I tested it from outside with the WAN address and it works fine. The user seems satisfied with the dual shortcut solution, luckily.

What port is being forwarded? You may have to change the RDP listening port on the destination PC.

It's a simple setup on a small domain; the router forwards traffic on port 3389 to her workstation, and 3389 is the default listening port for RDP.

Yeah, it's pretty common for cheap NAT routers to flake on translating NAT to external addresses from within the network.

If the network has a DNS server, set up the external domain on the local DNS server. So set up a new zone for company.com. Then set up an A record on their external DNS host and on the local DNS server for the RDP workstation like remote1.domain.com. The only difference is that the external DNS host's A record points to the external IP and the internal A record points to the internal IP. Then change the user's RDP client to connect in to the domain name rather than the IP address.

(Note that you will have to replicate their entire DNS structure on the DNS zone on the internal DNS server, but that shouldn't be difficult for a small business.)

Side benefit: if they ever change ISPs, you won't have to fuck around with the client again. You can just change the A record on the external DNS host.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    My firm is about to partner with a printer support company. We'll refer them our printer issues, and they're sending us the businesses they encounter that need managed services. 8-)

That sounds like the sweetest deal ever, between getting business referrals and never having to do printer support yourself again.

JHunz on
    bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I am still utterly at a loss as to why anyone bothers to print half the stuff they do out.

It drives me fucking mental. When I go into the bosses office, having sent an email explaining various things, the first thing he does is ask if I've printed it out. There's a huge 30" monitor RIGHT THERE.

The orders processing team prints out every invoice they get, then reenter it into the accounting system.

The sales manager prints out every brochure, datasheet or whitepaper we get.

The is why god invented email. Argh!

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    I am still utterly at a loss as to why anyone bothers to print half the stuff they do out.

It drives me fucking mental. When I go into the bosses office, having sent an email explaining various things, the first thing he does is ask if I've printed it out. There's a huge 30" monitor RIGHT THERE.

The orders processing team prints out every invoice they get, then reenter it into the accounting system.

This is why tablets are the future, just not in the form people think. What we need are things which cost like, $10 and are bought in stacks of 10.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    My housemate works at a relatively large credit union.

They don't give email accounts to their loan department or tellers. Memos are still distributed by paper.

TL DR on
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

People don't like to go to multiple windows for data as they want to see it next to them in paper form.

I tried to tell people to just use their email but they NEED to print it.

lwt1973 on
    "He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Trend admins: If you're running a WFBS server, you may have noticed your life being in shambles lately. Trend just released a patch that seems to free up a metric fuckton of system resources and improves the quality of your life immeasurably.

TL DR on
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    *grumble* People make decisions without me, without my counsel, then when they go wrong, I have to fix it.

hahahaha

this is my everyday

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ok, here's a weird one.
    A computer in the machine shop (running Windows ME :( ) was on a couple weeks ago when someone tripped a breaker. When he brought the computer back up, it starting doing something funny. It works fine, maps the network drive like it's supposed to, but when he tries to log into the VS system using the client, the Dial-Up Networking box pops up and starts acting like it's going to dial into something. You cancel out of it, and it works fine. The thing isn't even hooked up to a phone line.

So I go into the settings menu, and there's no Network Connections option. The only thing there is Dial-Up Networking, which lists My Connection(the one it's trying to dial in to) as the only option. Create New Connection can only create new dialup connections. ipconfig lists 2 ethernet adapters, one of which does have the right IP address settings, they're both listed in the device manager, I just can't seem to access it anywhere from the GUI.
    If I just delete that connection in Dial-Up Networking you think it would break anything?

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    That's what I would try.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    LuqLuq Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Worst I could see happening is that you break dial up networking. You should be fine. If you totally screw up you'll have to replace the ME box. It's win/win.

Luq on
    FFRK:jWwH RW:Onion Knight's Sage USB
  • Options
    Loki_HKDLoki_HKD Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Trend admins: If you're running a WFBS server, you may have noticed your life being in shambles lately. Trend just released a patch that seems to free up a metric fuckton of system resources and improves the quality of your life immeasurably.

Man i need to rebuild my Trend server soon. Ours is on a POS 5+yr old box.

Loki_HKD on
    Photos: Flickr
    XBox: Loki HKD
    PSN: Loki_HKD
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Luq wrote: »
    Worst I could see happening is that you break dial up networking. You should be fine. If you totally screw up you'll have to replace the ME box. It's win/win.

I'm not gonna lie, that's an attractive possibility.
    I even have this nice Win 2k in storage that could go there...

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Booo all deleting it did was fix the problem.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Blackberry Enterprise Server may be the most useless thing. Supposedly a single server can support up to 1500 accounts. Once our first server started shitting itself daily we brought another online, and have about 500 on each. Beginning last week we had daily instances of calendars desynching, email no longer being delivered, and users not being able to activate new/replacement phones. Cue this week, where we've begun rebooting the servers only to encounter problems two hours later. Our Exchange admin has been on the line with Blackberry all day, and we're prepping another two servers to bring our total load to around 275 per box. It'd be nice if that would end the problems, but I can't imagine having a third of the advertised load would cause issues.

IronKnuckle's Ghost on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Wow... that seems extraordinarily low. Or. Wow... their server must suck a lot of bandwidth and processing power.

bowen on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Blackberry Enterprise Server may be the most useless thing. Supposedly a single server can support up to 1500 accounts. Once our first server started shitting itself daily we brought another online, and have about 500 on each. Beginning last week we had daily instances of calendars desynching, email no longer being delivered, and users not being able to activate new/replacement phones. Cue this week, where we've begun rebooting the servers only to encounter problems two hours later. Our Exchange admin has been on the line with Blackberry all day, and we're prepping another two servers to bring our total load to around 275 per box. It'd be nice if that would end the problems, but I can't imagine having a third of the advertised load would cause issues.

What version of BES are you running. We are currently on 5.1 and have a good 700+ users on it, We are also on a BES/BAS system. Only big issues we have had is that we sometimes forget to purge our logs.

Who set up your BES? What carrier are you guys using?

Loki_HKD on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    We're running BAS 5.0. Another team is going to roll a service pack tonight, which I'm assuming will bump us to 5.1. We use multiple carriers: predominantly AT&T, but some of our offices are serviced by US Cellular.

IronKnuckle's Ghost on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I only asked about the carriers because, we ended up "asking" AT&T to help us with our BES/BAS install. I will admit it needs to be rebuilt, but we didn't have to do it on our own like the first 2 installs of the BES we had. I really don't know what else can be used though, especially with BB.

Loki_HKD on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I'd love for reporting to be turned on for these servers. Last year when we used Groupwise we had another farm and ran BAS 4.8 or so, and we got nice email reports whenever a service stopped running or users failed to initialize. It was nice to know when a box was having a problem and fix it within a couple of minutes before the users started having issues. Now though, we have no idea until we get entire offices unable to send mail from their phones.

IronKnuckle's Ghost on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So anyone here know about Labtech any? We're currently running Kaseya, but Labtech -really- impressed my boss, and now we're doing a comparison to see if it will work out better for our needs.

Also, I completely broke Vipre and I have no clue how. I fail as an IT. :(

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Does anyone here have any experience with Palo Alto firewalls? We're debating a switch to some proper hardware, and they seem like a decent deal.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Windows 2008 R2's DHCP implementation doesn't let you assign reservations outside the main scope anymore. This is somewhat painful as it doesn't let you do the old trick of having a group of floating IPs and static IPs within a single Class C.

Or at least, I can't figure out the best way to do it. Is Microsoft protecting me from myself? Should I not do this for reasons of best practice that I am forgetting?

EDIT: Exclusion ranges. Deeerrrrr.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Exclusion ranges

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010

And apparently Enterprise Server can crash Blackberry Curves. My department has gone through three and five months.

Sheep on
  • Options
    bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Sheep wrote: »

And apparently Enterprise Server can crash Blackberry Curves. My department has gone through three and five months.

We had a problem of threads locking up and having to recycle services at least once a day. Then I went and verified mapi versions on the BES servers, they need to match (or exceed) your Exchange environment (dont know about lotus/etc), which ours didnt. If you are using Exchange 2007 (like we are), you'll need to install "Microsoft Exchange Server MAPI Client and Collaboration Data Objects"

We currently have almost 900 users on 3 servers.

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    We just added a client with a BES. It's only 50ish users, but I really am not looking forward to being the "Holy shit the email needs to be back up now" guy with regards to anything RIM.

TL DR on
  • Options
    bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    We just added a client with a BES. It's only 50ish users, but I really am not looking forward to being the "Holy shit the email needs to be back up now" guy with regards to anything RIM.

We will be almost tripling our users over the next few months. While I am the go to guy, I stay as far away as fucking possible from anything BB/BES related. Like smart card readers for them, fuck that.

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • Options
    Dgeorge318Dgeorge318 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    BES isn't that much of a pain in the ass. Just don't hide the BES account in Exchange (it doesn't like that). Make sure that whatever DC it marries itself to doesn't go down (it doesn't like that either). I run the handheldcleanup utility every once in awhile. But really don't have many problems at all. We've got 550 users on one server w/ BES4.1.7 and Exchange 2007 SP1 RU6. I'm told BES5 has some nice features, but you lose reporting. I haven't looked into the BES Xpress, the concept is nice. Hosted BES with no license fees, you only have 75 IT policies, but really, who users 500 IT policies anyway.

Dgeorge318 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Ok, so at the moment, whenever anyone connects to our VPN (provided by Windows 2008's NPS) from a Windows Machine, all traffic is forwarded through the VPN tunnel. Which is not ideal.

Any ideas on where the issue lies?

Is it the DNS that the VPN Clients are assigned? Should we reduce the scope of the addresses it will resolve?
    Is it something on the clients themselves? Is there something you can fix in the Network profile/settings?
    Is there something in how the VPN is set up?

This is an embarassing question, my networking knowledge has failed me.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ok, so at the moment, whenever anyone connects to our VPN (provided by Windows 2008's NPS) from a Windows Machine, all traffic is forwarded through the VPN tunnel. Which is not ideal.

Any ideas on where the issue lies?

Is it the DNS that the VPN Clients are assigned? Should we reduce the scope of the addresses it will resolve?
    Is it something on the clients themselves? Is there something you can fix in the Network profile/settings?
    Is there something in how the VPN is set up?

This is an embarassing question, my networking knowledge has failed me.

It's on the clients themselves. In TCP/IP properties for the VPN connection, there's an option to "use default gateway on remote network."

Edit: this setting is enabled by default for a reason. It means any perimeter security (web filters, firewalls, etc.) you have in place in your company network are moot. The client is now effectively circumventing them. This means that the system could potentially be compromised, and compromise your network in turn. Most small businesses, though, don't really care.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    edited November 2010

BES works fine as long as you have your prerequisites straight. That means make sure you have a healthy Active Directory / DNS foundation, make sure your version of BES is compatible with your version of Exchange, set up the BESAdmin account with the correct AD and Exchange permissions, install the correct CDO/MAPI, make sure your global address list is properly replicating, etc.

The official administrator's documentation from RIM is your bible. If you try to figure it out on the fly, you'll get confused. If you actually read the docs, you'll do fine.

A lot of nerds don't RTFM.

Feral on

This discussion has been closed.