Options

MINECRAFT: Of supercities and flammable hobbits. RAPTURE video in 2nd post.

• Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Obsidian really is just unnecessary time wasting, and portals just make it worse. It shouldn't take over 3 minutes of holding down a mouse to take down a portal.

jackal on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    I'd like a lantern that when carried in your tool inventory (the one you can scroll through) it lights up the radius around you so you don't have to keep planting torches if you're just digging around.
    Yes please. Someone send this to Notch.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    So I heard that armor is basically broken right now (i.e. provides no damage reduction), is that true?

Yeah, that's correct.

Rius on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Rius wrote: »
    So I heard that armor is basically broken right now (i.e. provides no damage reduction), is that true?

Yeah, that's correct.

*sigh* I guess I crafted all that diamond armor for nothing :P Oh well, in the chest it goes...

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    and then the patch that fixes armor also introduces a bug that deletes anything stored in a chest

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Rius wrote: »

Yeah, that's correct.

*sigh* I guess I crafted all that diamond armor for nothing :P Oh well, in the chest it goes...
    I was wondering about this. I had iron armor on and I died so quick and then I was still able to pick it up when I came back.

anoffday on
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Tamin wrote: »
    I'd like to see Nether treated as a way to avoid the long nights. At sunset, you jump into Nether. 5 minutes later, you pop out just as dawn is rising.

Please explain how this would work in multiplayer! :P

Isn't Ein's server set so that the sun never fully sets? I don't recall seeing night on my (admittedly short) excursions.

Otherwise, it would by necessity be a singleplayer only feature.

No, a mod just changes it back to daylight. If there's no mod on then you have to deal with night.

That's pretty pathetic, especially when there's not even any mobs to deal with.

Maybe the next project for Ein's server should be to recreate all the Carebears.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    anoffday wrote: »
    I'd like a lantern that when carried in your tool inventory (the one you can scroll through) it lights up the radius around you so you don't have to keep planting torches if you're just digging around.

Why? A halo of light wouldnt protect you from the monsters spawning in the dark just outside the edge of the glow....

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Jubal77 wrote: »

Why? A halo of light wouldnt protect you from the monsters spawning in the dark just outside the edge of the glow....

That is not the point, the point is seeing the stone wall in front of you while you are digging/cave exploring.

Vic on
  • Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    kdrudy wrote: »
    Jaunty wrote: »
    Do iron picks not work on obsidian or does mining it just take this long? I keep giving up.

Only diamond picks work on obsidian but it takes a long time either way

To clarify - mining a block of Obsidian takes 15 seconds with a diamond pick. It takes 50 seconds with an iron pick, and just destroys the block, rather than giving you any obsidian.

'Casting' portals from lava sources seems to be the way to go, but doesn't give you a good way of getting rid of the extra ones that have been placed.

Bioptic on
  • Options
    DedianDedian Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    ENEMIES EVERYWHERE

YOU ARE ON FIRE, FUCKERS, DIE.

A-hem

sorry. I just wanted to harvest some lightstone. Instead I've spent the last 15 minutes being raped by pig-men.

Haha, well, Notch agrees with you (on the monster spawns being crazy):

And from playtesting, I agree that the monster spawning brightness torch thing stuff now totally sucks

Dedian on
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Kris_xK wrote: »
    I'd like to see Nether treated as a way to avoid the long nights. At sunset, you jump into Nether. 5 minutes later, you pop out just as dawn is rising.

Please explain how this would work in multiplayer! :P

Isn't Ein's server set so that the sun never fully sets? I don't recall seeing night on my (admittedly short) excursions.

Otherwise, it would by necessity be a singleplayer only feature.

No, a mod just changes it back to daylight. If there's no mod on then you have to deal with night.

That's pretty pathetic, especially when there's not even any mobs to deal with.

Maybe the next project for Ein's server should be to recreate all the Carebears.

I'm pretty sure they aren't referring to the fact that there may be mobs, considering A) They aren't turned on and B) they don't do damage even if they are.

They probably just want to be able to build in daylight since you know....It's easier to see and having the build slow down just because it is night would be slightly irritating when you are trying to build something extravagant like....Rapture.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    wait.... more monsters and armor does not work?

really?

vacation earned?

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Vic wrote: »

That is not the point, the point is seeing the stone wall in front of you while you are digging/cave exploring.
    Exactly.
    mojojoeo wrote: »

really?

vacation earned?
    Yeah. Don't get me wrong. I love Minecraft, but I feel like I was way more excited for this update than I should have been.

anoffday on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

really?

vacation earned?

But....BIOMES!!!1
    I agree, the update turned out to be less than stellar. Then again, the ONLY thing I care about is Survival Multiplayer actually being feature complete and working with nary a hitch.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    LodsiekLodsiek Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    CarbonFire wrote: »

really?

vacation earned?

But....BIOMES!!!1
    I agree, the update turned out to be less than stellar. Then again, the ONLY thing I care about is Survival Multiplayer actually being feature complete and working with nary a hitch.

Yeah, all I wanted was health and enemies working in SMP. Didn't get it. And it would have been nice to know in advance that portals weren't going to work in MP. We had all our portals set up and ready to go. Kind of a letdown.

Oh well. It's an alpha, right? :P

Lodsiek on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Lodsiek wrote: »

really?

vacation earned?

But....BIOMES!!!1

Yeah, all I wanted was health and enemies working in SMP. Didn't get it. And it would have been nice to know in advance that portals weren't going to work in MP. We had all our portals set up and ready to go. Kind of a letdown.

To be fair he was trying to get portals to work in SMP up until the day before the update and realized there were issues with having both maps loaded up at the same time in multi so he backed off of making them work in favor of finishing up other things.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

really?

vacation earned?

But....BIOMES!!!1

To be fair he was trying to get portals to work in SMP up until the day before the update and realized there were issues with having both maps loaded up at the same time in multi so he backed off of making them work in favor of finishing up other things.

Like making sure mine carts wor... wait.

At least he got those pumpkin helmets working. There would have been hell to pay if he hadn't.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

really?

vacation earned?

But....BIOMES!!!1

Like making sure mine carts wor... wait.

At least he got those pumpkin helmets working. There would have been hell to pay if he hadn't.

I guess I don't see where he ever said minecarts would now work in multi

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It was a joke.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    A silly goose joke

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Guys, I would appreciate the following.

Right now, the old Col/Rap map doesn't work at all. Newly generated maps seem to be working fine for the moment, albeit a little laggier than before. I've tried importing things from the old maps into the new maps, and they suffer from the same crippling server lag once anyone gets within loading range of them.

Best I can figure right now is that this is attributable to Notch's 'lighting bug' that he's mentioned on Twitter, but I'm not sure. The weird thing is that only about half of the SMP servers seem to be affected. For example, SE++'s server kept going post-patch without too much trouble. Looking at the official SMP support forums, there's a couple topics mentioning problems, but it's clear that not every server is affected (i.e. ones without notable construction or buildings on such a large scale as we produce seem to be okay).

I would much rather not lose Columbia and Rapture just yet, mostly because Columbia was just a couple days away from being in a filmable state and it would have been amazing.

Those of you who have an interest in it, I'd appreciate it if you contacted Notch by whatever means you feel suits you (e-mail, twitter, whatever) and just bring his attention to this issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD527FvFMlk

The only reason I'm asking that you guys do this is because, as I mentioned earlier, the problem isn't on every SMP server, just some, so I'm concerned that if we're not vocal now he won't fix whatever's causing these issues and we'll lose thousands of hours of community work.

Ein on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited November 2010
    Please to not be arguing entitlement issues in one direction or the other. Or I'll need a new deck of cards.

Echo on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

really?

vacation earned?

But....BIOMES!!!1

In all honesty he's programming it wrong. There should be no distinction between single player and multiplayer so that when he releases an update, it should work. This would be the same mechanic I think free civ uses. Single player launches it's own little multiplayer server.

He probably didn't plan far enough ahead for it, or, didn't think it'd be that big of a deal.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    bowen wrote: »

really?

vacation earned?

But....BIOMES!!!1

In all honesty he's programming it wrong. There should be no distinction between single player and multiplayer so that when he releases an update, it should work. This would be the same mechanic I think free civ uses. Single player launches it's own little multiplayer server.

He probably didn't plan far enough ahead for it, or, didn't think it'd be that big of a deal.

Well the game started as a single-player affair, then he bolted multiplayer onto it. So yeah, it seems like he didn't plan that far in advance. It also appears that he's looking to bring parity between SP and MP now that he got Biomes out of his system. Let's hope he means it.

I really want to fight the monster horde in Underdark with you all :?

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    bowen wrote: »

really?

vacation earned?

But....BIOMES!!!1

Well the game started as a single-player affair, then he bolted multiplayer onto it. So yeah, it seems like he didn't plan that far in advance. It also appears that he's looking to bring parity between SP and MP now that he got Biomes out of his system. Let's hope he means it.

I really want to fight the monster horde in Underdark with you all :?

I'm imagining a server where the admin spawns a world that has no surface, only blocks from bedrock to ceiling, and a 10 block cubed obsidian starting location at bedrock, and you have to survive. Death kicks you from the server and you lose everything on your person. The only thing you have infinite of is wood (cause no trees) to make starting weapons/tools.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm imagining a server where the admin spawns a world that has no surface, only blocks from bedrock to ceiling, and a 10 block cubed obsidian starting location at bedrock, and you have to survive. Death kicks you from the server and you lose everything on your person. The only thing you have infinite of is wood (cause no trees) to make starting weapons/tools.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=62939

Ein on
  • Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Vic wrote: »

Also, you have a 24 block zone around you where monsters can't spawn. Even if you're in absolutely darkness, monsters can't spawn on top of you. That said, torches only give off enough light to cover a 7 or 8 block area for preventing monster spawns, IIRC. So a mining helmet wouldn't give you an extra help to prevent monsters around you, but it would at least give you the chance to see them before it's too late. And without having to drop a lot of torches.

El Guaco on
  • Options
    KileakKileak Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    zomgcylinders.jpg

Zehbrahs was mentioning them...

Kileak on
  • Options
    slugabedslugabed Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    From what I've read, the lighting right now is mostly pre-calculated. That means moving light sources are a much bigger pain to implement.

I noticed last night that a skeleton on fire shoots arrows that are also on fire. Since I was running away at the time, I didn't notice if the arrow was emitting any light as it traveled. If it did, and it also works in multiplayer, then it might be possible for Notch to add.

slugabed on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It occurs to me that Creepers are a vertical half block.

8) "rotate option for the half blocks"

Tamin on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So in my world that I have a nice bedrock mine setup, I thought that since I have now gathered enough obsidian and made short trips to hell I should start actually work on landscaping and building my house. Step #1: place waterfalls. I trudge along east to the nearest ocean coast...

...To behold a gigantic pile of redish rocks surrounded by sand, with another pile off in the distance on another coast.

I can finally make bricks! :D

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Aegis wrote: »
    So in my world that I have a nice bedrock mine setup, I thought that since I have now gathered enough obsidian and made short trips to hell I should start actually work on landscaping and building my house. Step #1: place waterfalls. I trudge along east to the nearest ocean coast...

...To behold a gigantic pile of redish rocks surrounded by sand, with another pile off in the distance on another coast.

You might be looking at red mushrooms.

I think you need clay to make bricks, which is not red at all, just gray.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Aegis wrote: »

You might be looking at red mushrooms.

I think you need clay to make bricks, which is not red at all, just gray.

Painterly's clay blocks are redish, which give it a nice contrast to the surrounding white/yellow sand.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Xaviar wrote: »
    Hey kids, it's been beaten to death, but I guess it wasn't enough:
    My branch mine near bedrock is generating like.. No iron. Do iron rates drop off deeper? Should I have a shallower mine?

[edit]
    OMG, I love the sun rising in the middle.

The absolute best way to find iron is finding an underground cave. On a single run you will easily get 50+ iron ore.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    My branch mine near bedrock is generating like.. No iron. Do iron rates drop off deeper? Should I have a shallower mine?

[edit]

The absolute best way to find iron is finding an underground cave. On a single run you will easily get 50+ iron ore.

Which has never worked for me, where mining near the bottom middle of the earth in strips like has been mentioned numerous times before has actually gotten me some iron. So ymmv.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Yeah I do get iron in there, however it takes so much more time. This cave was a little bit above the diamond/redstone layer, and it was HUGE, but it had iron everywhere. You gotta use a lot of torches though, since with the dark you might miss a lot of iron that's on the ceiling.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Satsumomo wrote: »

[edit]

I explored a massive complex of caves one time that had 2 iron in it total. No diamond at all. When I entered it, the first cave I found was about 10 meters/blocks above bedrock, but other branches went up and down. I found waterfalls, and lava falls... more redstone than I could ever use. But nothing actually useful. My deep strip/branch mining efforts have produced little iron as well, but I've got stacks upon stacks of coal, which is supposed to be rare so far down, right? I think maybe my world is inverted or something. I found iron on the side of a mountain.

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Yeah I think the farther down you go, iron does indeed become more rare. I'm gonna fire Minutor up and see what it says about my world.

Welp, looking at the map in minutor, Iron is just as abundant at almost any level below it's starting point, but redstone just gets in the way all the time lower down.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    How is multiplayer working right now? I am a bit bored, and if there is enough interest I might host an exploring session on one of the now abandoned earlier versions of the Third Underdark.

Vic on
This discussion has been closed.