As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[macOS] Sierra is Online. "Hey Siri, I need to get rid of a body."

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Vann if you need some recs on assorted utilities and apps lemme know

As a new Mac user I've already found a bunch of handy ones.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    So it occurred to me today that I'm missing out on years of iTunes receipts because my AppleID's e-mail is listed as "mjallemand@mac.com", which is also the AppleID itself.

And you can't change your "primary e-mail address" when they match.

Fuck. >:(

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    So it occurred to me today that I'm missing out on years of iTunes receipts because my AppleID's e-mail is listed as "mjallemand@mac.com", which is also the AppleID itself.

Yes you can. I did exactly that. You just can't change your actual sign-in name.

My apple id is first.last@mac.com. A few years back I changed the primary email to first.last@gmail.com when I let my .Mac run out. I still have to sign in with first.last@mac.com though. That can't be changed.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular

Yes you can. I did exactly that. You just can't change your actual sign-in name.

My apple id is first.last@mac.com. A few years back I changed the primary email to first.last@gmail.com when I let my .Mac run out. I still have to sign in with first.last@mac.com though. That can't be changed.

this actually also isn't true

i did it maybe like two weeks ago

moved it off my old gmail, now i sign in with my current email

• Options
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    Vann if you need some recs on assorted utilities and apps lemme know

As a new Mac user I've already found a bunch of handy ones.

oh and yes this i will most definitely ask about apps once i have the thing. i'm gonna go a few weeks at first with no additions though to feel out the OS and see what i really feel like i need though. gotta break the habit of just installing all kinds of shit that recommended to me regardless of if I use it or not

• Options
    Vann Diras wrote: »

this actually also isn't true

i did it maybe like two weeks ago

moved it off my old gmail, now i sign in with my current email

No, what I said is true.

To clarify, if your apple id is the same as your .mac or MobileMe email address, you can not change your actual sign in username. It will always be your .mac/MobileMe name, even if you no longer subscribe to either service. It's a stupid pain in the ass, and even emailing apple support won't get them to allow a change. For that matter, being an employee and contacting them directly as such didn't even do it.

However, if your apple id is anything else (like a gmail or yahoo email address), you can change it any time.

• Options
    Oh okay I misread, thought you were saying it straight couldn't be changed. My bad!

• Options
    Oh okay I misread, thought you were saying it straight couldn't be changed. My bad!

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Well double posts are fun.

emp123 on
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Ugh, so I need to buy a new battery (78% health, the thing tells me to check the battery) but Im pretty sure thats the least of my worries - Ive noticed that my fans dont spin up past their idle speed (roughly 2k rpm) when my laptop gets hot. Ive seen the CPU hit 77c while the fans are just chilling at 2000rpm.

Worst part is I think my 3 year AppleCare plan just expired or is just about to expire, but I dont really have time to hit up an Apple store until August.

Either way Im out like $125 for the battery alone.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    If AppleCare hasn't expired yet then at least call the tech support people, maybe if you establish that the problem started within the warranty then they'll still cover it even if you can't get to an Apple store yet.

• Options
    Vann Diras wrote: »

No worries. it's a totally bizarre stipulation that no one has ever been able to actually explain the reasoning behind to me.

• Options

How? There's no "edit" link next to "user id and primary email"

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited July 2012

How? There's no "edit" link next to "user id and primary email"

Nope. Not for Apple IDs where the ID is the same as a .Mac or MobileMe email address.

minor incident on
  • Options
    As discussed:

Screen%20Shot%202012-07-22%20at%201.47.16%20PM.png

• Options
    So then I can't change my primary e-mail, and any receipts from iTunes, the App Store, and other Apple purchases go to an e-mail that's no longer in service.

BRILLIANT, Apple!

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    So then I can't change my primary e-mail, and any receipts from iTunes, the App Store, and other Apple purchases go to an e-mail that's no longer in service.

BRILLIANT, Apple!
    no, you can't change you LOGIN name.

you can totally change the location the emails go to, however.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    I have no issue with the login name staying the same, but I need to know how to change the primary e-mail.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I have no issue with the login name staying the same, but I need to know how to change the primary e-mail.

https://appleid.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MyAppleId.woa/

go here, manage my account, go to the screen minorincident took up there.

Take a screenshot.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    I'm gonna bet you need to click the "Add Email Address" at the bottom of the "Manage your account" page. Then set the e-mail address you just added to be the primary.

Is there not an "Add Email Address" link? Can you not set the new address you've just added to be the primary? ... ... Just asking questions here.

• Options
    ScHS9.png

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    Would love the help if anyone can offer it.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    fortisfortis OhioRegistered User regular
    Can you change it through iTunes? If you're on a Mac you can go to Store > View My Account. Then the Edit button next to your Apple ID. Or does that Edit button not exist for you?

• Options
    Oh well, I give up. Guess I'm stuck with it. Hope I'm not missing anything important from that's going to that e-mail address.

I really need to start deleting some of the spam e-mail I've amassed over the last few years. With Mountain Lion on the way I don't look forward to seeing notifications every 10 seconds of some new spam showing up.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    In a chat with an Apple support gal at the moment, seeing if it does any good.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    Mountain Lion is out right now, download and install, people!

That said, I am going to whip up a more informative OP over the next day or so, and would love suggestions from people for the "all star" list of apps and utilities, just to make sure I don't miss anything crucial.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Well, an Apple tech was able to separate my AppleID and primary e-mail, but I can't seem to get the AppleID Account Manage page to send me the e-mail verification e-mail...urgh.

I'll deal with it later, my head hurts.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    syndalis wrote: »
    Mountain Lion is out right now, download and install, people!

That said, I am going to whip up a more informative OP over the next day or so, and would love suggestions from people for the "all star" list of apps and utilities, just to make sure I don't miss anything crucial.

stuff i like:

caffiene
    daisy disk (dev site version - the app store version doesn't let you see/delete certain hidden files)
    makemkv
    handbrake
    vlc
    plex (and preen skin manager)

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    I've started liking Movist more than VLC. It seems less crashy, with a much better interface, and it still plays anything you can throw at it. Both are great and all, but I've just never cared much for VLC's whole interface.

• Options
    Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    Downloading now. Got about another hour and half left. I should try to find my Time Machine to make a backup before I install. Haven't done that since I moved.

• Options
    I am doing a full clean install, and reinstalling only the apps and games I use all the time.

I want my system to be nimble and lean.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Well, I ended up doing a clean install, because my SSD shit the bed last night. It'd been a couple of weeks since my last backup, so I spent last night and this morning scavenging a few things off the drive to bring my backup up to date.

Liking it so far. Love the new tab view in Safari. Really like the new look of the dock. A small, but welcome, new feature of the dock: Dragging icons (accidentally) just off the dock doesn't remove them from it. You have to drag them a few inches up from the dock for the "remove from dock" puff of smoke thing to kick in. Which is handy, since I used to accidentally remove things from the dock all the time.

Also, I really like Notification Center. Much more so than Growl, since it's all kind of nicely centralized and integrated.

• Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    So guys, this is my first forum post from my brand new Macbook Retina. It is pretty cool but there is one huge glaring fucking thing- I had a friend make up an Apple ID for me and it was an @me.com email or whatever it was. What happened now is that I try and login and the password is fucked and he is trying, but failing on getting my password back... what are my options?

• Options
    So guys, this is my first forum post from my brand new Macbook Retina. It is pretty cool but there is one huge glaring fucking thing- I had a friend make up an Apple ID for me and it was an @me.com email or whatever it was. What happened now is that I try and login and the password is fucked and he is trying, but failing on getting my password back... what are my options?

iforgot.apple.com

And also, don't let other people set up important accounts for you in the future.

• Options
    floobiefloobie Registered User regular
    Just installed it. Didn't do a new install, so we'll see if I'm satisfied with the performance. Save for a rather slow startup, things have been really snappy so far. Hopefully the startup times will improve.

- Notification Centre strikes a nice balance between, well, notifying me about stuff, but generally staying out of the way. I was never really able to strike that balance to my satisfaction with Growl.

- The new dock looks good. I like the status lights.

- Having updates/apps all in the App Store is way better.

- Amazingly enough, I haven't run into any problems with apps not working. Logic (and all my plugins), Adobe CS5, Office... no issues at all. I'm damn impressed on that front. I was expecting at least a few hiccups on launch day.

- Safari is excellent. Soooo fast. Unified search bar is a long time coming, and I appreciate it. Tab sharing doesn't seem to be working. I had a bunch of tabs open on my iPad, but they don't show up on the computer. Am I the only one? Does iOS need to be updated before that works?

- I really like the Notes app, oddly enough. It syncs perfectly between my devices, and the ability to have folders is awesome. It has effectively replaced Evernote for me now. I never really used the more advanced features... mainly just used it to organize and sync simple notes. This serves the exact same purpose.

- The searchable Launchpad is nice. Not sure if I'll use it instead of Spotlight, but it's nice to have the option.

- The improved interfaces in contacts and calendar are nice. But, they have effectively just back-pedaled to what it was like in Snow Leopard, save for the skin. I missed those sidebars.

I'll add more impressions as I come across them.

Lucky Cynic: How are you liking that screen? Since getting an iPad... Hell, since getting an iPhone, these retina displays are sort of ruining me for other displays. Even my 1680x1050 Macbook Pro looks a bit pixly to me now...

• Options
    The tab syncing is sorta working for me. I can see my iPhone's tabs, but not my iPad's. the iPhone is running the iOS 6 beta, while the iPad is on iOS 5.

I've also been using the Safari beta, which had the unified address/search bar, so I'd almost forgotten how great that is to have for people just getting the new Safari.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    iOS6 is needed for shared tabs between iOS and desktops.

My Macbook air and my iMax are sharing all the time, and it is great.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    did an inplace upgrade on my Macbook Air at work this afternoon, took about 20 minutes, everything was super smooth. Sadly I bought my air exactly 1 month before they started the whole "we'll give you mountain lion for free" thing so I shelled out the 20 bones but luckily my work is going to reimburse me since it's a work machine. aww ya :D

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Gonna have to look up to see what I'm missing because I dunno what's new exactly. lol

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    New firmware for 2011 MacBook Airs dropped, allowing for use of Power Nap.

Squeeeeeeee!!!!

SW-4158-3990-6116