Options

ROCK BAND: Old thread.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    JonBob wrote: »
    On the topic of last week's DLC: I didn't see any new goals pop up for the Bon Jovi content. I wonder if DLC can add to them after the fact (like the Tour Challenges in RB2), or if there can only be DLC goals for tracks released prior to the RB3 debut?

This is a good question. I think what it's supposed to do is different than what we'd become used to. I'm not sure the goals system is particularly dynamic. When people figure that out, there'll be some top quality (read: not at all top quality) bitching to go around.

Maybe they'll use title updates to add some. I don't know about the PS3, but the 360 does allow for some updating without an official 'patch'. Not sure if Rock Band can use it, though.

Either way, there aren't too many DLC goals as far as I can see. Certainly nothing that takes much advantage of what I have.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    Joe DizzyJoe Dizzy taking the day offRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    A friend of mine is in Montreal right now. Is there any place where one can get the RB3 Pro Cymbals there?

Joe Dizzy on
  • Options
    george-xgeorge-x New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Speaking of downloading DLC - has PSN been down for the past 2 days??

george-x on
    roster.gif
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    a register biscuit at Best Buy told me and a friend that RB3 drums don't exist because they're not on BB's website.

went to Gamestop and bought their $120 B:RB bundle instead and will get cymbals later

MrDelish on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    george-x wrote: »
    Speaking of downloading DLC - has PSN been down for the past 2 days??

I think people have been complaining about it, but unless you can't get anything else, it's probably an issue with Rock Band Central. And there have been issues off and on since release.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    MrDelish wrote: »
    a register biscuit at Best Buy told me and a friend that RB3 drums don't exist because they're not on BB's website.

went to Gamestop and bought their $120 B:RB bundle instead and will get cymbals later

Err, I bought a pro RB3 drumkit for $120. They do exist.

MalReynolds on
    "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Before RB3 was released, I recall some rumors about a jukebox mode. Did that ever happen, or was that just a passing rumor?

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I would like to replace my RB1 drum kit for the PS3 eventually, but shelling out $120 for the new drum kit + cymbals seems a little excessive.

If I have to go with a) trying to find a RB2 drum kit and or bundle or b) get a B:RB bundle, what's the better option thread? I can live with paying $120 for those bundles since I'd get a second guitar out of the deal, but will probably never be good enough to do pro mode and use the drum cymbals.

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    templewulf wrote: »
    Before RB3 was released, I recall some rumors about a jukebox mode. Did that ever happen, or was that just a passing rumor?

It's probably just the same as it was before. Turn on Performance Mode and No-Fail. Not sure if you still have to pick the vocals as your instrument, though, since I've seen a few RB3 videos of a one-man-band but playing only two instruments. The audio still sounded fine even with nobody playing, though it could've been an audio replacement video.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Naphtali wrote: »
    I would like to replace my RB1 drum kit for the PS3 eventually, but shelling out $120 for the new drum kit + cymbals seems a little excessive.

If I have to go with a) trying to find a RB2 drum kit and or bundle or b) get a B:RB bundle, what's the better option thread? I can live with paying $120 for those bundles since I'd get a second guitar out of the deal, but will probably never be good enough to do pro mode and use the drum cymbals.

B:RB drums are considered slightly better than regular RB2 drums. But if you go that route, make sure you're getting the special edition with the Beatles gear and not the value edition with the RB1 stuff.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

B:RB drums are considered slightly better than regular RB2 drums. But if you go that route, make sure you're getting the special edition with the Beatles gear and not the value edition with the RB1 stuff.

Ah, I wasn't aware there were two different bundles. Thanks, I'll keep an eye out.

Is the Beatles Bass Guitar any good, or just passable?

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Ah, I wasn't aware there were two different bundles. Thanks, I'll keep an eye out.

It's a slightly longer neck version of a RB2 guitar. Nothing special about it other than the shape.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

I bought RB3 and B:RB for the instruments, and I quite like the Limited Edition bass. It's wireless and a bit larger than any of the other guitars I had used. I don't think I have the delay set quite right in B:RB yet, but it feels much nicer than my RB1 and GH2 guitars.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    MrDelish wrote: »

Err, I bought a pro RB3 drumkit for $120. They do exist.

I meant the guy was dumb so I bought the B:RB bundle because it's ten bucks cheaper and I get a mic/stand/guitar as well as new drums. I know the RB3 drums exist :P

MrDelish on
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Anyone else with RB3 Pro Cymbals find that the green cymbal is exceedingly sensitive and constantly breaking combo? It's really annoying, because any time I do a fast fill across the toms/pads that ends in a required crash = combo break. Playing a fast song with regular crash? Combo break. Trying to activate overdrive with the crash? Combo break.

I have to tap it ever so slightly to not (presumably) double hit. Whereas the other two just take a beating and shrug it off.

metaghost on
  • Options
    JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Between three recent sets of Rock Band 3 cymbals that my friends and I have gotten, 2 out of the 9 total cymbals double hit. Going to contact MadCatz about it sometime this week to get it sorted out.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So they haven't figured that out yet huh? I'm gonna hold on the cymbals purchase for now then. I miss my green (it doesn't even register when it's plugged in right now) but I don't want to purchase more plastic stuff than necessary.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Maybe the cymbal is not secure enough/is too tight.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Welllll, I'll experiment some more. There is that design-flaw, however, that makes it so the cymbals are only angled if you leave it loose.

metaghost on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    I think that's intentional.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I think that's intentional.

Does that make it not a flaw if leaving it loose also makes it more susceptible to double hits?

Do you think it's somehow an attempt at simulating real cymbals? (It's not.)

metaghost on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    It shouldn't be double hitting when it's angled.. that's bad piezo sensitivity, which are reacting to the actual hit of the sticks and not the movement of the plastic.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    KelbaenorKelbaenor Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    metaghost wrote: »

Welllll, I'll experiment some more. There is that design-flaw, however, that makes it so the cymbals are only angled if you leave it loose.

I have this exact same problem. It's really annoying too, especially when you get to a big crash and you want to hit the cymbal hard and you know it'll inevitably result in a double hit. If you figure out how to fix it it'd be great to hear how.

On a different note, I recently had to replace my PS3 (YLOD that didn't respond to normal fixes even after multiple reflows). I backed up my data, but my RB songs didn't transfer. Is there an easy way to download all the ones I've previously bought at once, or do I need to hunt through the 2k songs in the store and individually download the 300 I bought?

Kelbaenor on
    PSN: Kelbaenor
  • Options
    Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    JC of DI wrote: »
    Sure enough, the sensitivity setting is in Beatles. Fyre was right in that the controller mapping no longer including it, but if you check the audio/video settings, "Adjust Mic Sensitivity" was in there, leading to a screen with a slider for each of three mics with indicators showing how much volume each is registering.

While I was in there, I figured I'd try something. If you don't give a shit about which music game mics are loudest/quietest or mic-sensitivity talk then I'll spoiler this for your sake.
    I have so many mics around here anyway I set up a regular RB2-era Logitech USB mic that came with my Rock Band 2 bundle, one of my Lips mics that I got bundled super cheap with that game, and the Rock Band 3 microphone that has been released just recently.

I left the sensitivity at the default values for each mic while starting out. The RB3 mic, it turns out, is noticeably quieter than the other two. Both the RB2 mic and the Lips mic were both red-lining at a volume that was registering at about 3/5 of the bar for the RB3 mic. I then turned down the sensitivity to the minimum on those two and tried it again, and noticed that in cases where you're not putting your mouth almost directly onto the mic, the Rock Band 2 mic actually is more sensitive than the Lips mic, with even being a few inches away showing about a 1/5 of the bar difference in volume. However, when singing right next to the mic (as I am wont to do), it does coincide with what I had been saying regarding my experience with it, that it is indeed more sensitive than the Rock Band 2 mic. Phrases I sang that registered around 3/5-4/5 of the bar on the RB2 mic would frequently max the bar out on the Lips mic.

The fun part of this experiment then is that when I then loaded up Rock Band 3 to just double check for any options hidden away and to test the "Mic Volume" = "Sensitivity" possibility, the Rock Band 3 mic instantly hit the top of the bar when I begin singing a little verse. It was the same one I had been singing in the Beatles menu when it only registered 3/5 of the bar.

Better yet, my Lips mic, which was a good couple feet off to the side, in the same place it had been for the Beatles testing, also registered about 1/6th of a bar of volume. With the default sensitivity in the Beatles menu, it hadn't picked up anything.

So either the Beatles menu was specially designed to just cut out some volume from the get-go that's now being included and displayed in RB3 (I can't imagine why), or they've jacked up the sensitivity well past the previous "default" level and removed the option to change it (I also can't imagine why).

Great analysis. And yeah, the volume setting is basically orthogonal to the sensitivity setting in function, so collapsing them into a single setting makes no sense whatsoever.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Which is why Guitar Hero probably did it then.

Also it should be noted that Beatles does NOT save the mic sensitivity settings on that screen, ever.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Also it should be noted that Beatles does NOT save the mic sensitivity settings on that screen, ever.

I went back into Beatles after reading this just to verify that I saw correctly last night, and you're right. Though it does feature a prominent message stating exactly that, that the settings won't be saved for future sessions.

I also went into a song with harmonies just to verify the recollection of the controller mapping.

The individual mic settings are actually the sensitivity settings themselves (which were still set to what I had put at that main menu screen during this session), with the A button just being a global "Mic Volume" button.

Regarding the cymbal "issues" mentioned so far - the Rock Band 3 cymbals are actually designed to have a 10-degree tilt to them at all times while securely tightened. There should have been spacers included with the packaging that allow for the slant. Unless you want a more extreme angle and that's what you're trying for.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    flammiebcflammiebc Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It shouldn't be double hitting when it's angled.. that's bad piezo sensitivity, which are reacting to the actual hit of the sticks and not the movement of the plastic.

The mad catz cymbal packs released after RB2 had the same problem, fwiw. Not angled, but I couldn't trust them to reliably register anything needing speed and/or precision. Did the cymbals on the ION kit have any reliability issues?

flammiebc on
    Switch: SW-7753-7176-1119
    PSN: LucidStar_BC
  • Options
    edited November 2010

I went back into Beatles after reading this just to verify that I saw correctly last night, and you're right. Though it does feature a prominent message stating exactly that, that the settings won't be saved for future sessions.

I also went into a song with harmonies just to verify the recollection of the controller mapping.

The individual mic settings are actually the sensitivity settings themselves (which were still set to what I had put at that main menu screen during this session), with the A button just being a global "Mic Volume" button.

It's just kind of one of those things where you wonder why they left it out in the first place. Removing World Tour? Sucks, but they tried to incorporate some of it in other ways (YMMV). Removing Solo Tour (and thus, stars) from RB2? Sucks (YMMV), but then the World Tour was expanded for single player. Removing mic sensitivity? Uh...why?

More than a few design choices in RB3 stand out. Like why you can't save a default filter.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    Doak22Doak22 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Since you guys are talking mics, and I cannot register on the RB forum:

Is anyone else having problems with the Mad Catz 'Rock Band 3' microphone? I'm playing on 360, and my console does not register the damn thing. The mic uses a wired USB connection.

When I plug the mic into the console, the connection feels a little loose. Do I need to buy a hub? Everything in the mic's packaging and instructions just says plug it into the console. I've been using a mic that came with the RB2 box set plugged in directly, and it works great.

Is my mic defective? Is the thrill gone?

Doak22 on
    Brawl: 1246.8412.5352
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Does it work when you plug it into your PC?

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Are you playing solo (or fewer than four people)? Still have to have a controller for it.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, if it's not working when you plug it into the same port that your RB2 mic works on it sounds like you've just picked up a dud mic.

MadCatz support may have some more theories as to why or how to get it to register, but it should be just as plug-and-play as any other wired mic for the system.

Regarding the "wonder why" sentiment echoed earlier, I do feel a bit more of a sting regarding the sensitivity stuff. That's the only significant backwards step that I know of that actually hampers the core gameplay. World Tour redesigns and missing star-tracking and all that are certainly not unimportant to some people, but once you are in the game portion playing the song that stuff doesn't matter.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Regarding the "wonder why" sentiment echoed earlier, I do feel a bit more of a sting regarding the sensitivity stuff. That's the only significant backwards step that I know of that actually hampers the core gameplay. World Tour redesigns and missing star-tracking and all that are certainly not unimportant to some people, but once you are in the game portion playing the song that stuff doesn't matter.

True. But let me just say that giving the fans what they wanted and increasing the opportunity for music video shoots?

I'm currently working through the keys difficulties playing whole difficulty sets at a time. So nine songs. The absolute last fucking thing I want is a nine song repeat of images that don't even fit the music, let along move in time to the beat.

I think it only works out for people who play one song and then shift to another (which seems to be a large factor in the Loading Ramp Bug), but I got used to playing the five song RAWK-AID set in RB2. I hate the music videos now. (Not to mention the bright and flashing lights in the normal venues.)

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Kelbaenor wrote: »
    metaghost wrote: »

I have this exact same problem. It's really annoying too, especially when you get to a big crash and you want to hit the cymbal hard and you know it'll inevitably result in a double hit. If you figure out how to fix it it'd be great to hear how.

Using "Maps" to test, the green cymbal final started to consistently hold combo when it was so loose that it rattles like a tambourine. I then played faster songs and it was definitely a lot better, but still broke combo if I hit too hard during things like "Colony of Birchmen" where you do the quick 32nd note rolls into the green cymbal.

The rattling is irritating, but oh well.

metaghost on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I checked the OP and didn't see anything about missing RB1 tracks...where the hell is "Brainpower"?

I find it hard to believe they couldn't work out something with Freezepop

Maybe a free download later on a la the missing nine RB2 tracks?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    It should work.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Did you do the 'trick' with PS3 exporting?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    What's the "trick"?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Apparently not...

The trick is that during the RB1 export process, you eject the disc during a song you don't want. Then you restart the process over and it 'skips' that song because it reads was is probably a corrupted tag for the file and thinks it exists. You'd keep doing this for all the songs you didn't want.

However, unlike the 360, there's no way to get them back if you change your mind without deleting the file and starting all over. From what I've heard, the delete song function was specifically created for PS3 users. Which makes sense because it's near useless for everybody else.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    The delete song function is dumb anyways, as it will get rid of the whole pack

Wish there was an option to just say "Hey, make this particular song never show up anymore"

But yeah, I didn't do that. "Brainpower" worked just fine in RB2, and other RB1 songs are working in RB3 (I played "Flirtin' With Disaster" yesterday)

UnbreakableVow on