As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ROCK BAND: Old thread.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oh for god's sake. That's utter crap, and I'm not usually the type to get annoyed at reviews. "Why don't you stop playing Madden and play some real football!" "Why don't you stop playing MW2 and join the Marines?"
    As far as the pre-order DLC is concerned, nobody knows when it will actually become available for anybody. If you're talking about The Doors stuff, then unless you're prepared to miss out on the GameStop DLC and get the game or bundle elsewhere, I'd suggest that you borrow a copy of RB3 from somebody so you can quickly get the free Doors stuff. (Depending on what the process is for that...)

From what I've read, the process is 1) go to the in-game store, and 2) snork 'em up.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I hate that line, but I especially hate that THEY'RE DOING THAT. THAT THING YOU WANT THEM TO DO, THEY'RE DOING IT. YOU JUST FUCKING SAID THEY'RE DOING THAT, TOO. WHAT ARE YOU BITCHING ABOUT.

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Reading the article, it seems they're talking about the Mustang. But poor writing muddies the issue.
    But, ultimately, the Pro Guitar is kind of dumb. If you're going to pay this much for a fake guitar with buttons that make it hard to slide your fingers on, why not spend a little more and buy the real thing? You're just upgrading from one guitar with plastic buttons to another guitar with way more plastic buttons.

A full-stringed guitar is in the works but won't be available at launch. Though Pro Guitar totally changes how you play Rock Band 3, and is brilliant in its implementation, buying it isn't going to get you groupies (why else would you learn guitar?). Get the real deal at this point. Stop living your rock fantasies through cheap plastic toys.

I know it's IGN and all, but selective quoting is the bane of free information. You really have to provide context.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I guess they don't know that it's also a real guitar?

Even if it is the Mustang, it can still be used as a real instrument.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I just realized:

I own a 360 now.

I have a Guitar I bought last year for RB2 so I could play with my friends, despite not owning the game...

And I have a decent chunk of money I haven't spent from this paycheck.

.. Fuck me.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Arikado wrote: »
    I guess they don't know that it's also a real guitar?

Even if it is the Mustang, it can still be used as a real instrument.

They're not reviewing it that way. As well they shouldn't. It's poorly worded, but hardly the inflammatory statement people want to believe.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Reading the article, it seems they're talking about the Mustang. But poor writing muddies the issue.
    But, ultimately, the Pro Guitar is kind of dumb. If you're going to pay this much for a fake guitar with buttons that make it hard to slide your fingers on, why not spend a little more and buy the real thing? You're just upgrading from one guitar with plastic buttons to another guitar with way more plastic buttons.

A full-stringed guitar is in the works but won't be available at launch. Though Pro Guitar totally changes how you play Rock Band 3, and is brilliant in its implementation, buying it isn't going to get you groupies (why else would you learn guitar?). Get the real deal at this point. Stop living your rock fantasies through cheap plastic toys.

I know it's IGN and all, but selective quoting is the bane of free information. You really have to provide context.

That's still pretty whiny. You can criticize something better than "it's kind of dumb."

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    shutzshutz Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Results of my own research, re: keytars in Canada: Futureshop.ca is not listing them, Amazon.ca is not listing the bundle, and I didn't see the keytar either... and bizarrely, Gamestop.ca is listing the bundle, but only for Wii, otherwise it's game only.

Guess I'm getting the game by itself tomorrow, then.

shutz on
    Creativity begets criticism.
    Check out my new blog: http://50wordstories.ca
    Also check out my old game design blog: http://stealmygamedesigns.blogspot.com
  • Options
    XenoScholarXenoScholar Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    For most people who want to play pro guitar, it's a learning tool. Even if it doesn't teach you guitar in the "best" way (like maybe guitar lessons would), it's stupid to criticize the guitar because you could go out there and buy a real one.

Learning to play a real guitar is much more time consuming than learning to play RB3 pro guitar (I would imagine), and it takes a long time before you can start playing songs from your favorite bands. I'm insulted by the "stop living out your fantasies and buy a real guitar" line. It shows he misses the point entirely. But I expect nothing less from IGN, which has one of the most ignorant writing teams of any gaming website on the internet.

XenoScholar on
    Check out my demonstration of the Street Fighter 4 hard trial combos, showing hands on the joystick, on my Youtube channel!
    Current characters done: Ryu, Dan, C. Viper
    Xbox Live: Infilament
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    That's still pretty whiny. You can criticize something better than "it's kind of dumb."

Hey, IGN is still IGN: Fucking terrible as a source of games information.

But what they are not specifically saying in this case is 'Get a real guitar you feebs!' They're saying 'Get a real guitar because this Mustang is for feebs!'

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Wait, did Hilary write the review?

Dude's been a tool for over a decade so far, and I've said as much to his (virtual) face.

Yup. Hilary.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I better get that gamestop email tonight - I wanted to open my rock band 3 career with burning down the house!

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    That IGN review is really irritating.

Anyway, looks like I'm ordering the keyboard separately from the US Amazon store. I'll get it here in 1-3 days for about $110 US including shipping. $60 for the game and it comes out to $170 or so. The Canadian dollar is about on par with the US right now, and the bundle would be sold in Canada for $169. So I guess I'll pay roughly the same amount and get the keyboard before the weekend, and maybe as early as Wednesday. Could be worse, I guess. I'll go in and buy the software only tomorrow and play drums for a few days or something.

To other Canadians, I was told the keyboard bundle is delayed by a week only. So it will "probably" be in stores by next Tuesday. Good luck with that, though. You might be better off doing my method if you don't want to wait for a week or more.

XenoScholar on
    Check out my demonstration of the Street Fighter 4 hard trial combos, showing hands on the joystick, on my Youtube channel!
  • Options
    JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    mxmarks wrote: »
    I better get that gamestop email tonight - I wanted to open my rock band 3 career with burning down the house!

You think this is all day-one free stuff from Gamestop? Have they even said anything to back that assumption up?

I only ask because I was completely expecting it to be along the lines of the free DLC they offered with The Beatles. "Hey, these songs are going to come out at some point, and when they do - you won't have to pay for them."

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    JC of DI wrote: »

You think this is all day-one free stuff from Gamestop? Have they even said anything to back that assumption up?

That's possible, but I have at least received the code already.

JonBob on
    jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    JonBob wrote: »
    JC of DI wrote: »

That's possible, but I have at least received the code already.

Yeah my assumption comes from people starting to get the codes.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Athenor wrote: »

Dude's been a tool for over a decade so far, and I've said as much to his (virtual) face.

Yup. Hilary.

I've always had a problem with Goldstien's reviews. Like how he criticized Forza 2 for not being like an arcade racer and being slow and dull, then years later wrote a glowing review for Forza 3. I know people can change their minds, but really.

I also think he's a godawful writer. I mean this...if you can call it a paragraph:
    You know how this works. You and your buddies are part of a band. Someone sings. Someone plays guitar. You've got a drummer. Everyone hits the right notes at the right time, you score points, you become rock Gods. No big.

Yeah, sentence fragments are the bomg-diggity, yo!

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The most irritating thing is just terrible inconsistencies in the score.

I remember a few years ago when Myst IV came out. They wrote the most glowing review for the game's graphics (and having played the game when it first came out, it was just jaw-dropping). They said it might be the most beautiful graphics in any game in the history of the medium. Then they give it a 9.0 for graphics, with the caption saying "the most beautiful game ever created" or something similar. I mean... what does 10 exist for, if not for that? A friend of mine and I still joke about that; 9 is the new 10 for IGN reviews.

So it irritates me when stuff like RB3 gets 8.0 for replayability. It's probably one of THE most replayable game available in the entire industry right now. And there's no explanation for any of it.

Couple that with (as was mentioned) godawful writing and just general holier-than-thou tone, and it's understandable why IGN is one of the worst gaming sites on the net.

XenoScholar on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Omeks wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »

Yup. Hilary.

I've always had a problem with Goldstien's reviews. Like how he criticized Forza 2 for not being like an arcade racer and being slow and dull, then years later wrote a glowing review for Forza 3. I know people can change their minds, but really.

I also think he's a godawful writer. I mean this...if you can call it a paragraph:
    You know how this works. You and your buddies are part of a band. Someone sings. Someone plays guitar. You've got a drummer. Everyone hits the right notes at the right time, you score points, you become rock Gods. No big.

Yeah, sentence fragments are the bomg-diggity, yo!

Not to go too goosey on the man, but he really thinks he is the center of the universe. Not as bad as Cassamassia, but he has that same kind of smug "I have connections so I know everything" vibe about him. His DVD reviews are atrocious, but he was a -big- reason why I hated everything to do with the Xbox back in the early part of the decade.

Athenor on
  • Options
    gameworkergameworker Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Can't wait to pick this up tonight! Quick, possibly dumb question- The keyboard looks cool but if I get it it would be mostly to try and learn some real life piano skills. Since it's only half a keyboard is that possible? Should I just buy a "real" keyboard and get the midi adapter when it comes out? In other words will half a keyboard translate to a full-sized one when put into real life practice?

gameworker on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yes, it's possible, since most notes are played with your right hand anyway. It'll give you the basic skills, anyway.

*edit* FWIW, my store didn't get any PS3 keyboards in, so it may not just be Gamestop nonsense.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    someone mentioned the RB2 export info being made available today

has that become true?

MrDelish on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    "Thanks to all for your patience waiting for export info. Looks like all the info will be coming out tomorrow. Yep, at launch." - HMXHenry"

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    In line. Midnight launches are...weird.

mxmarks on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    "Thanks to all for your patience waiting for export info. Looks like all the info will be coming out tomorrow. Yep, at launch." - HMXHenry"

Where the hell did that come from?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm guessing Twitter.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So, anyone have it yet???
    LOL

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Posted two hours ago, apparently.

Midnight's come and gone on the east coast, and still no new rockband.com. It might not be up till the morning.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    just got it

ASK FOR YOUR 3 SONG CODE AT GAMESTOP. It was on a separate sticker ha had to scan. I wouldn't have gotten it if I didn't ask

mxmarks on
  • Options
    GarethMagisGarethMagis Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    /sigh Damn not being on the east coast :( i have another 3 hour and 1 till i go hang out at gamestop

GarethMagis on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I just saw an ad for this. Admittedly, it looked cheesy, but hey, it also looked fun. And I didn't know Bohemian Rhapsody was in the game -- interesting to compare to Guitar Hero.

Athenor on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Posted two hours ago, apparently.

Midnight's come and gone on the east coast, and still no new rockband.com. It might not be up till the morning.

This is why I hate social networking... I'm looking at the Rock Band Twitter page linked directly by the placeholder page and I don't see that post.

I'm certainly not one to claim that HMX doesn't communicate with the public, but there are certainly times when they don't communicate well.

Meh.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That's because they all have their own Twitter accounts.

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I have Rock Band 3 + Keyboards! :D

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ok, I don't know if it's available yet, but when the Doors DLC goes up, I'm dying for someone with a capture card to PLEASE post a video of expert pro keys for Riders on the Storm.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The download code will work IN Rock Band 3 - NOT the XBox Marketplace.

The Rock Band music store now apparently has its own separate codes...

The game is installing to the HDD now!

mxmarks on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oh my god I want to play the keyboard now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgGnlEh2J2k

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Junior YankJunior Yank Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My Gamestop code (for PS3) isn't working so far, but that could be because the store usually doesn't update until Tuesday evening. And no sign of the free Doors songs either.

I can't complain, given how excited I am for the on-disc setlist.

Junior Yank on
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    anyone know if the pre-order code is a one time code, or if it might be used on multiple copies? Or anyone not want their code?

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Website Down. :(
    No Export Information. :(
    Preorder Code Not Working Yet. :(

I want my Deftones. D:

The game also get's trapped on a "Loading" if you go into the RB3 In-Game store right now.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //