As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Link's Awakening Appreciation Thread

• Options
    GunstarGunstar Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    My favorite Zelda game. Too bad i lost my first cartridge and my DX one is glitched so it won't save. I have beat it in one sitting though, i was down to the line on battery but i did it.

Gunstar on
    greencall.gifredfist.gif
    Xbox : gunst4r
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Gunstar wrote:
    I have beat it in one sitting though, i was down to the line on battery but i did it.

I want to post a pic. Something Majora's Mask? Or I should go 24?

But seriously, that's pretty damn cool. :^:

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Fantastic game. One of my favorites out of the series. MM got a lot of flack from me at first because it was such an obvious replica (at the time) of OoT that I didn't like it. I was hoping for something more. I of course, prejudged the game and once I started playing it I quite enjoyed it.

I need to buy a new N64 and get all those old games again.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    To quote IGN's review of Twilight Princess:

"This is THE best Zelda, period."

Links Awakening is still my number one from the franchise, and therefore holds what might be my number one of all time.

Finding the text on the wall of the Eastern Temple is still one of my favourite gaming moments, ever.
    Quick question about that giant ass world map: why exactly, is the one of the sprites for the final boss (black circle with evil eyes) hanging out on the world map? He's off to the left of the wind fish egg a bit, and it makes no sense to me.

any ideas?
    That's not the boss, that's just a standard death mountain enemy. There are more on the map.
    The moldorms? Yeah, those were standard enemies (and a boss) in ALttP too.

Ah, no, the boss "evil eyes" are hanging out death mountain in that pic. Look near the Like Like in the middle of that rocky/maze area, it's the freaking nightmare in its transition or "I'ma rush at you and you slap me in the face with the fire rod" sprite. That aint no Moldorm.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    What was the special ending?

Blake T on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Probably my first and favorite Zelda.

Music was great. What more could you ask for?

Proof that graphics =/= gameplay. I like the monochromatic thing it had going, since it was GB.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Blaket wrote:
    What was the special ending?

I think it's when [spoiler:64aa197ea9] Marin becomes the bird so she can fly away, like she's always wanted to. YOu get this if you never die in the game.[/spoiler:64aa197ea9]

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited January 2007
    BTP wrote:
    Hey, now that this got brought up, what the heck was up with those crazy signs? I'll spoiler them just in case, but I really have no idea what they're meant for. These are the only ones I could find (I wrote them down as I played hoping to figure it out.)

[spoiler:1b6f3273a8]"The Wind Fish in name only, for it is neither"
    "Music. The Fish stirs in the egg. You are there..."
    "The Wind Fish slumbers long...The Hero's life gone..."[/spoiler:1b6f3273a8]

well, did you beat the game?

[spoiler:1b6f3273a8]It's not wind, nor a fish. It's a whale with wings.
    Music wakes the windfish. These instruments are what you get after beating each boss.
    The whole island is a dream that the windfish is having. When he wakes up, the island disappears. Though not The Hero, which is you. You just wake up in the water on a plank, or something. But you get the point.[/spoiler:1b6f3273a8]

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    CymoroCymoro Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Aydr wrote:
    bruin wrote:
    My third favorite Zelda game behind TP and OOT. Definitely the best 2D one in my eyes. It feels pretty different from other Zelda games for me, I don't really know why. It's probably the most odd in general.

Also: I would kill and die for a remake in 3D. Anyone with me?

No.

Sorry, to me this game was perfect in it's 2D, black and white glory.

Holy christ, I thought I was the only person that thought this. The DX version irks me, I always have to play it in black and white.

Cymoro on
    i am perpetual, i make the country clean
  • Options
    BlackDog85BlackDog85 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Christ, I had this game years ago, but, since I was playing it when I was about 8, I didn't give it the full appreciation it deserved.

I'm sure I still have it laying around somewhere, I really need to fire it up.

Otherwise, I'm with whoever said that Nintendo needs to make a Zelda handheld compilation. The Collector's Disc for GameCube really saved my ass, and I've got Wind Waker, LttP, and Twilight Princess all for their proper consoles (which reminds me, I need a new N64 so I can play my copies of OoT and MM properly again), but with my copy of Link's Awakening not handy, and only having Oracle of Seasons beyond that...I could really go for a handy comp on LA, the Oracles, and Minish Cap.

Of my past experiences, I know full well that LA certainly had the most quirky feel to it of any Zelda I've experienced. Compared to the other ones, something always seemed just a wee bit off, but it still worked very well as part of the Zelda universe. Can't wait to dig it out and give it a legit go.

BlackDog85 on
    KeithBeKnives.png
    Wii Code: 5700 4466 3616 6981 (PM if y'all add me)
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Best. Zelda. Ever.

Of course, I could be majorly nostalgic, since it was my first Zelda ever as well.

I can still remember that creepy feeling I got when I first beat the boss of the Face Shrine.

And, yes, I too think that beating the game without losing a life gives you a beautiful little coda.

Also: It's a crocodile eating dog food! The madness!

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    Vangu VegroVangu Vegro Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Yeah, I really love this game. Probably my third favorite game ever (after FFVI and LttP). What impresssed me most about it is the sound - getting the old GB sound chip to crank out something even remotely resembling music should be nigh-impossible, but not only did they manage fine, they also produced the masterpiece Ballad of the Wind Fish, one of the most memorable pieces of game music I've ever heard.

One thing I don't like about it though: It's so depressing to think of how old this game is, how much hardware has advanced, and how despite that, it's all gone downhill from here for Zelda.

Vangu Vegro on
    In my PC: Ryzom, Diablo III, Naruto Shippuden UNSR, The Old Republic
    In my 3DS: Super Smash Bros, AC New Leaf
    Last game completed: Steamworld Dig
  • Options
    malerikmalerik Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    First gameboy game I had. My parents have shockingly good taste in games. I love this game to death. Dammit, might have to go back and play it again now.

Marin with wings!

malerik on
  • Options
    core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I always had to steal the bow until I found the secret rupy room in the color dungeon.

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    While I liked LA quite a bit, and should play it again, I also found it harder to navigate than other 2-D Zeldas for some reason...

...never did find all those seashells, either. I beat the game with the regular sword. :P

It'd be nice if they re-released this, maybe the two Oracles on a DS pack or something, though. Especially as I never played the Oracle games...

On a related note, I do have this really cool remix of the Tal Tal Heights song which I listen to a lot...
    Glorfindel wrote:
    See I find the development history of games, especially ones that get chopped and changed around so much, absolutely fascinating.

Same.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    malerikmalerik Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I always had to steal the bow until I found the secret rupy room in the color dungeon.

Dude, first time through i bought the bow and i dont even have DX. no colour dungeon.
    You just gotta be REALLY keen on the shovel. Personally i love it. i dig shit up all the time.

malerik on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I ran round that field just south of the shot for hours for that bow. On average I think you got about 15 rupees once you cut all the grass then dub the place up.

It's better than being called THEIF.

Edit, also if you bought the bow then imediatly left and saved as quickly as possible you wouldn't loose all your rupees just the amount you saved at.

Blake T on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I don't remember any problems getting enough rupees for the bow. Then again, I didn't really need it.
    Blaket wrote:
    Edit, also if you bought the bow then imediatly left and saved as quickly as possible you wouldn't loose all your rupees just the amount you saved at.
    Haha. That was a neat trick.

t thieves: shame on you

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    CullenCullen Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Chen wrote:
    I don't remember any problems getting enough rupees for the bow. Then again, I didn't really need it.
    Blaket wrote:
    Haha. That was a neat trick.

t thieves: shame on you

So stealings bad but cancelling the bank transfer to the shop keepers account halfway through is okay? Tut, tut. Also you didn't really need the bow? Wasn't it required to complete the game?

LA is my second favourite Zelda game. I think if it had been on the SNES with LttP graphics and scrolling areas it would be the best. But given the limitations of the hardware it is on its damn amazing.

Am I the only one who gets a hard-on over the map? Grid-style maps are the best. Look at how every single square has something in it. The maps, and how the areas link together, in most of the 3D Zelda games are crap. TP's is better than Ocarina's (which world layout is frankly shocking - everything branches off one area) but still leaves a lot to be desired. The only exception is Wind Waker, which, you guessed it, had a grid map. My heart leapt with joy when I saw that. Shame the vast ocean only has about 5 islands of any great size or interest, which we see within the first 5 hours of play.

I long for a 3D Zelda with Wind Waker's map but it's all land (with the odd lake).

Cullen on
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Cymoro wrote:
    Aydr wrote:
    bruin wrote:
    My third favorite Zelda game behind TP and OOT. Definitely the best 2D one in my eyes. It feels pretty different from other Zelda games for me, I don't really know why. It's probably the most odd in general.

Also: I would kill and die for a remake in 3D. Anyone with me?

No.

Sorry, to me this game was perfect in it's 2D, black and white glory.

Holy christ, I thought I was the only person that thought this. The DX version irks me, I always have to play it in black and white.
    One of the reasons I like the monochrome version better as well is because you can skip the dialog of the piece of power and the acorn by pressing B. You can't do that in DX and it's very annoying.

RockinX on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Cullen wrote:
    So stealings bad but cancelling the bank transfer to the shop keepers account halfway through is okay?
    Hell yes. ;)

Come on, that guy is running a monopoly and asking an outrageous price.
    Cullen wrote:
    Also you didn't really need the bow? Wasn't it required to complete the game?
    Well, I didn't really need it in the first few dungeons, which should be plenty of time to save up.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    ReignerReigner Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Definately the second best Zelda game ever behind LttP. And it gets my nod for best overworld theme. Theres not a week goes by that I don't find myself humming that at some point.

Reigner on
    Exodus Server: Venstra Rei
    FFBE: 838,975,107
    Dokkan: 1668363315
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Guys.

Tal Tal Heights.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    12gauge12gauge Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    [spoiler:896d2b2453]Bombs and Bow equipped and then both buttons pressed at once = rockets. The final boss never knew what hit him[/spoiler:896d2b2453]

12gauge on
    davidoc0.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    12gauge wrote:
    [spoiler:e524194e2b]Bombs and Bow equipped and then both buttons pressed at once = rockets. The final boss never knew what hit him[/spoiler:e524194e2b]

That's not in DX, is it?

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • Options
    12gauge12gauge Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    BTP wrote:
    12gauge wrote:
    [spoiler:f15706090d]Bombs and Bow equipped and then both buttons pressed at once = rockets. The final boss never knew what hit him[/spoiler:f15706090d]

That's not in DX, is it?

Never played dx, so I have no clue.

12gauge on
    davidoc0.jpg
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    BTP wrote:
    12gauge wrote:
    [spoiler:0fc5ba797a]Bombs and Bow equipped and then both buttons pressed at once = rockets. The final boss never knew what hit him[/spoiler:0fc5ba797a]

That's not in DX, is it?

It is.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    BTP wrote:
    12gauge wrote:
    [spoiler:1e0556fe3a]Bombs and Bow equipped and then both buttons pressed at once = rockets. The final boss never knew what hit him[/spoiler:1e0556fe3a]

That's not in DX, is it?

It is.

I must try this when I get home! I thought it was only in the original. But then I didn't think of pressing both buttons at the same time.

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Chen wrote:
    Yeah. For me, if I didn't buy the bow I'd always have way to many rupees. This is not fun, as Twilight Princess can attest. :wink:

Elendil on
  • Options
    BlakoutBlakout Lordran's SpookylandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Ahh nostalgia. Looking at that map makes me all warm and fuzzy. This was the first Zelda I actually beat, and it's still my favorite. This thread has me very tempted to get out the old brick GameBoy.

Blakout on
  • Options
    cubelovercubelover Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I thought this was pretty good, and interesting:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MVvvR7EkZXg

cubelover on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "The expanding media is a system pacifying and distracting consumers from the oppressive drudgery of their lives" - Digital Play
  • Options
    androo87androo87 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    Since this game has so much nostalgic value for me I'd hate to see a direct remake of the game, HOWEVER, it'd probably be cool if they made a newer Link go the island in a 3d world. So.. it'd kinda be a remake... but not really. I guess Majora's Mask was pretty odd compared to the other Zelda games. It def. reminded me of Link's Awakening at times.

androo87 on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    What impresssed me most about it is the sound - getting the old GB sound chip to crank out something even remotely resembling music should be nigh-impossible, but not only did they manage fine, they also produced the masterpiece Ballad of the Wind Fish, one of the most memorable pieces of game music I've ever heard.

bruin on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Best Zelda. Probably the best GB game. So awesome.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Great game, quite possibly the best Zelda I've played. That's all I had to say.

RichardTauber on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I remember waaaaay back in the day, when I was young and stupid, the strangest thing happened. Being naive as I was, I thought it would be a cool idea to turn on my Game Boy and THEN jam in my Link's Awakening cartridge (if you remember, the original brick GB had a little piece of plastic that jutted out when you turned the power on, keeping the cartridge in place). By doing this, it erased my data and gave me three new save slots. Each one started off with me already having the tail key, and the world was inhabited by ghost sprites that I could walk through. Did anyone else ever experience anything like this? It was utterly BIZARRE, and I only wish I hadn't gotten rid of the files years ago.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Bombarrows=ownage on a stick.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    AydrAydr Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I remember when I first found out that you could steal things.

I noticed that the shopkeeper would watch you, so I figured I'd give it a shot. I didn't think it would actually work.

Then I felt bad, so I reset. I don't think that I even found out that he'll kill you and other people will call you THEIF until a friend I told about it who had less integrity than I did it and told me about it. It's a good thing, though, because I would have hated it if Marin called me THIEF the whole game.

On an unrelated note, I was so angry when I played the Ballad of the Wind Fish in Majora's Mask. Giving it that name, but having it be a completely different song, disappointed me so much.

Aydr on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    12gauge wrote:
    [spoiler:a083631c60]Bombs and Bow equipped and then both buttons pressed at once = rockets. The final boss never knew what hit him[/spoiler:a083631c60]

Dude, that's the hard way of killing the final boss.

[spoiler:a083631c60]The fucking boomerang man that wasted him in one shot[/spoiler:a083631c60]

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    anyone mention THIEF yet?

you THIEF?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png