As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Link's Awakening Appreciation Thread

13»

• Options
    core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Boomerang plus flying rooster is the best combo ever.

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Boomerang plus flying rooster is the best combo ever.

My god I completely forgot about that.

FLYING DEATH FEET!

Blake T on
  • Options
    tendoboy101tendoboy101 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsJ7xtHWcLk

No LA discussion is complete without it. I remember being a kid and seeing that. Classic. Just classic.

I loved the warp glitch, and realizing all caves are basically one large connected map and exploring, then coming out the stairs of the mermaid statue with the statue still in place and saving and quitting...Yeah I was pretty bummed to find I'd have to start all over. I promptly ruined my second LA attempt in the same manner. I wasn't very bright.

tendoboy101 on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

No LA discussion is complete without it. I remember being a kid and seeing that. Classic. Just classic.

I loved the warp glitch, and realizing all caves are basically one large connected map and exploring, then coming out the stairs of the mermaid statue with the statue still in place and saving and quitting...Yeah I was pretty bummed to find I'd have to start all over. I promptly ruined my second LA attempt in the same manner. I wasn't very bright.
    This one's better - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNtuK4CU3ko

bruin on
  • Options
    RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    bruin wrote:

This one's better - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNtuK4CU3ko

To be fair though, that one's even more hilarious with the youtube-comments.

RichardTauber on
  • Options
    GlorfindelGlorfindel Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    bruin wrote:
    What impresssed me most about it is the sound - getting the old GB sound chip to crank out something even remotely resembling music should be nigh-impossible, but not only did they manage fine, they also produced the masterpiece Ballad of the Wind Fish, one of the most memorable pieces of game music I've ever heard.

Yes! The Ballad of the Windfish was fantastic. Sometimes I would fire my file (which I saved just before [spoiler:d902673cd4]I opened the Egg[/spoiler:d902673cd4]) to listen to that song.

Also I do not like liming. :P

Glorfindel on
  • Options
    HazzHazz Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

No LA discussion is complete without it. I remember being a kid and seeing that. Classic. Just classic..

That's good. This is better. If you're British, anyway...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su3kMZ7sEm8

Hazz on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Hazz wrote:

No LA discussion is complete without it. I remember being a kid and seeing that. Classic. Just classic..

That's good. This is better. If you're British, anyway...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su3kMZ7sEm8
    That's brilliant.

NOE 1 - NOA 0

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    InitialDKInitialDK Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I have like 6 PS2 and 360 games I've yet to finish and this thread has me playing a GameBoy game....curse you.

InitialDK on
    "I'd happily trade your life for knowledge of my powers."
    -Louis C.K.
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Aydr wrote:
    On an unrelated note, I was so angry when I played the Ballad of the Wind Fish in Majora's Mask. Giving it that name, but having it be a completely different song, disappointed me so much.

When was this?

Also that Rik Mayall advert is fantastic. Especially compared to the other one. I really don't remember it though.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    MikeRyu wrote:
    Aydr wrote:
    On an unrelated note, I was so angry when I played the Ballad of the Wind Fish in Majora's Mask. Giving it that name, but having it be a completely different song, disappointed me so much.

When was this?
    I think it was used in the milk bar, when you played all the different instruments one at a time. Or it's the song played by the Zora band at the end of dungeon 3. Either way, it's rather hard to recognize. I think it's used in Twilight Princess too, at least it sounds like it.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I think I've owned at least 3 copies of LA, 2 for GB and 1 DX version. I always lost my GB games :oops:
    Still, it was the first GB game I owned and it was absolutely perfect. It doesn't get better than this.

Dr. Phibbs McAthey on
  • Options
    StriderEdgeStriderEdge Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Link's Awakening is the best Zelda game. Still... the Japanese commercial with the dancing puppets scares the crap out of me.

StriderEdge on
  • Options
    Blitz RawketBlitz Rawket Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    More of this game's music should be rearranged. Maybe even orchestrated. The soundtrack's so good and I'm pretty sure Koji Kondo actually didn't have a part in it (save for the songs he wrote previously that got rearranged for LA). I've sadly never owned this game, though... Only borrowed and beat DX. And even after knowing the jist of all the plot developments, playing it was still a marvelous experience. Definitely in my top 3 of the series (which otherwise includes Twilight Princess and A Link to the Past--I have no idea where to arrange them from there though).

Blitz Rawket on
  • Options
    ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Probably the second Game Boy game I ever finished (after Super Mario Land 2), and also one of my favorite games of all time.

Ballad of the Wind Fish, anyone? That has to be one of the best Zelda songs of all time. I got all psyched when I heard it was in Majora's Mask, but that was a completely different song...

Toldo on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Toldo wrote:
    I got all psyched when I heard it was in Majora's Mask, but that was a completely different song...
    Yeah, those bastards. That was one of Majora's Mask's biggest failings. They have this marvelous opportunity to share Ballad of the Wind Fish with the world once again and then they don't.

They're perfectly content to recycle/remix lots of other songs, but not that one?

It's just not right.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Spoil the no-deaths secret ending for me?

Marty81 on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Marty81 wrote:
    [realspoiler:2f149006e4]Whatshername is reincarnated as a bird, I think.[/realspoiler:2f149006e4]

Couscous on
  • Options
    ZampanoZampano Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Marty81 wrote:

[spoiler:6059aaf65f]Marin flies through the The End screen with wings, singing her song. It's the fulfillment of her wish to fly like a seagull[/spoiler:6059aaf65f]

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    PoochPooch Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    titmouse wrote:
    Marty81 wrote:
    [realspoiler:55772f470f]Whatshername is reincarnated as a bird, I think.[/realspoiler:55772f470f]
    From Wikipedia:

[realspoiler:55772f470f]In the original version, if you finish the game on a save file with no deaths (if you die, you may not save), Marin will fly across the screen in the very last screen of the credits. In the DX version, a close-up image of Marin will appear instead.[/realspoiler:55772f470f]

Pooch on
  • Options
    MakMak Registered User new member
    edited January 2007
    I've listened to the Ballad of the Wind Fish in Majora's Mask many times, and didn't hear it originally, but I believe it does follow the melody of the original, its just very jazzed up and arranged.

There is an orchestrated version of the credits from Link's Awakening in one of the Orchestral Game soundtracks.

Aryll, Link's sister in The Wind Waker, is sort of a reference to Marin. It's the reason the seagulls follow her around, and her dress also has Marin's flower. They were originally going to call her something close to "Marin" from what I remember of what was said in the Zelda Box guide book.

Malon and Talon are of course based on Marin and Tarin from Link's Awakening.

Here's another Smash Bros. pic of Marin

marin2.jpg

Mak on