Options

Street Fighter: Oh no! [Main] is the worst now! I'm switching to [buffed alt]!

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I don't see why there wouldn't be at the very least lots of SSFIV in the freeplay area at pax like we had last year.

Dunno if they plan to do another tourney for it, or do MvC3 instead or what. We'll have to wait and see

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    inlemurinlemur Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So as someone who never played any of the SF Alpha games, what distinguishes Evil Ryu from the rest of the cast?

If I try and imagine a moveset for an Evil Ryu I basically just think of Akuma.

On a similar note, what distinguishes Oni Akuma from Shin Akuma? Or is that the same thing?

In CvS2 (most recent version of him I think), Evil Ryu had a horizontal aerial tatsu, like Gouken. He also had the denjin hadoken (Gouken's U2), except it was unblockable when fully charged and could be charged much faster.

Otherwise, he played largely like Akuma, low stamina and all. No air fireball. No demon flip. He could do Akuma's juggle combos off lk tatsu, had a teleport, and a demon rush.

Basically everything he does is already in SSF4 somewhere.

inlemur on
    XBL - remura
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Pancake wrote: »
    So as someone who never played any of the SF Alpha games, what distinguishes Evil Ryu from the rest of the cast?

On a similar note, what distinguishes Oni Akuma from Shin Akuma? Or is that the same thing?

Okay, well, Oni Akuma has a blue and white color scheme and Evil Ryu grits his teeth more.

I think they'll be a pretty exciting addition to the cast.

New OP:
    Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition: This time with teeth gritting!

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    ValiantheartValiantheart Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    In CvS2 normal Ryu was stronger than Evil Ryu. Less badass factor i suppose.

Valiantheart on
    PSN: Valiant_heart PC: Valiantheart99
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Shoryuken FADC raging demon

mark my words

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

mark my words

Trade Shoryuken to Raging Demon.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    ValiantheartValiantheart Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

mark my words

I do have to admit being excited to see Misogi again. The tazmanian devil ultra is ridiculous.

Valiantheart on
    PSN: Valiant_heart PC: Valiantheart99
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

mark my words

I do have to admit being excited to see Misogi again. The tazmanian devil ultra is ridiculous.

I'm still praying for a PC release. Then Akuma will truly have a Tazmanian Devil Ultra :D

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

I'm sure this is old, but I couldn't stop laughing.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

All I know about SFA3 Evil Ryu is that he's basically Ryu with the Raging Demon, teleport, and Shoryureppa-like uppercut super.

One SFA3 tier list I saw put him a couple notches below standard Ryu so I'd have to think that there's some kind of drawback like Akuma-like health or something.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Ryu with a teleport would have to trade off health, yeah. He's already incredibly dangerous on wakeup as soon as he gets meter. Also Akuma's teleport is the one I find hardest to punish.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Parappa confirmed in AE.

fRAWRst on
    J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    the tourney last night made me want to learn dudley again. and viper.

i doubt this will last long.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    SivrajSivraj Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Dudley? Sure!

Viper? Good luck with that...

Sivraj on
    XBL - Degami | Steam - Degami | Battle.net - Degami #1837 | PSN - Degojin
  • Options
    LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hey guys, the latest episode of my podcast, Sure You Can Fight!, is up at, predictably, www.sureyoucanfight.com We talk about tournament pressure and our local tournament season that's been going on, as well as reacting to some comments made on SRK and our own site about episode 6.

Besides that, you guys may want to bookmark the site. Our local arcade is getting Arcade Edition on the 18th or the 20th. We'll be working to aggregate the changes and post them on the site as we get them, so it'll be a source for all the new stuff in AE.

LibrarianThorne on
  • Options
    rabblerouserrabblerouser Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    How do you feel about those Hitbox controllers? After months of failing to feel comfortable on stick I'm thinking about it.

rabblerouser on
  • Options
    RaakamRaakam Too many years... CanadalandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    GoodOmens wrote: »
    So I'm trying to convince my non-gamer wife to try Street Fighter. She's never played a fighting game before and doesn't have much general video gaming experience. I'm trying to figure out which character to recommend she try.

My initial thought is, of course, Ryu or Ken. She might have trouble with the circle movements, though, especially because this is with a gamepad, not a stick. Maybe Guile? Chun-Li? Ideas?

Join the club; though it's not exactly the same situation, it's pretty darn close.

Anyhow, I really think we might end up with a charge character. We'll see how it plays out! I'll record the session and see!

Raakam on
    My padherder
    they don't it be like it is but it do
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    ChaosHat wrote: »

This is really funny since the first time I went to the local ranbats I played this Ryu who kept throwing bad hadokens and getting hosenka'd. I later overheard him saying "Man, I lost to two people who I shouldn't have lost to." "No, you should have lost to me." "Dude you picked ultra 1 who does that?" "Um...smart people?"
    I need to play Chun Li's more :(. I need to play more, period.

What did he say when you said "Um....smart people?"

Is there a SF thing at Pax East?

Like blackbeard said, there was a tourney last year. Justin Wong won. The guy just walked away after I said it. SAAAAALT.

And yeah, hit me up and we can play sometime.

Edit: DeeJay, Guile, Hakan, and Seth changes.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I think I'm going to start using U1 for Bison more and more. I chipped this Boxer out twice in one match with it (including the very last tic getting the kill, resulting in slow mo purple torpedo death) and got yelled at "Gamerbee chip!", and that's all sorts of invigorating.

That and it's hardly used anymore, so people forget it.

I was so shocked the first time you hit me with U1 last night. I never even bother checking your ultra anymore.

solsovly on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

This is really funny since the first time I went to the local ranbats I played this Ryu who kept throwing bad hadokens and getting hosenka'd. I later overheard him saying "Man, I lost to two people who I shouldn't have lost to." "No, you should have lost to me." "Dude you picked ultra 1 who does that?" "Um...smart people?"
    I need to play Chun Li's more :(. I need to play more, period.

What did he say when you said "Um....smart people?"

Is there a SF thing at Pax East?

Like blackbeard said, there was a tourney last year. Justin Wong won. The guy just walked away after I said it. SAAAAALT.

And yeah, hit me up and we can play sometime.

Edit: DeeJay, Guile, Hakan, and Seth changes.

That's a lot of buffs for Dee Jay. I especially like:

• Light Jacknife Maximum (Up Kicks) damage was increased, and is completely invincible until active frames end.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Crazy amount of Seth nerfs for such a mediocre character :[

aBlank on
  • Options
    RaakamRaakam Too many years... CanadalandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Poongko destroys with Seth... he's kinda scary to deal with, honestly. Whenever I run into a Seth online, they're either terrible or amazingly difficult to block.

Raakam on
    My padherder
    they don't it be like it is but it do
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    With those deejay changes I will probably put him into my character rotation.

Light attacks comboing into light sobat is huuuuge, as is the monstrous upkick invincibility buff. This means he's got a reliable bnb that does chip and knocks down, along with his vicious crossup and perfect jump arc for pressure. He will be like bison + guile. At least, I think sobat is safe on block.

Edit: haha wow it's really not. -6 on block. So that's a hitconfirm combo, not a block string, which is probably for the best. If it were safe on block he'd be so hard to deal with.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    aBlank wrote: »
    Crazy amount of Seth nerfs for such a mediocre character :[

Makes me wonder what they're balancing to, the tournament crowd or the casuals who rage at Seth shenanigans.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

Light attacks comboing into light sobat is huuuuge, as is the monstrous upkick invincibility buff. This means he's got a reliable bnb that does chip and knocks down, along with his vicious crossup and perfect jump arc for pressure. He will be like bison + guile. At least, I think sobat is safe on block.

Edit: haha wow it's really not. -6 on block. So that's a hitconfirm combo, not a block string, which is probably for the best. If it were safe on block he'd be so hard to deal with.

The bigger news appears to be the increased hit stun on the two hit sobats, so you can maybe FADC out of them into something good (maybe u1? I dunno if the leniency would let you get away with that motion).

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

The bigger news appears to be the increased hit stun on the two hit sobats, so you can maybe FADC out of them into something good (maybe u1? I dunno if the leniency would let you get away with that motion).

Once you use your charge for the first sobat and then FADC it, where would the charge for the Ultra come from?

Maybe FADC into machine gun upper into Ultra 2 (in a corner), but that sounds more complicated that its worth.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I love the new costumes for the cast but hate that they cost so much, even as a bundle. Another thing that irks me is that you have to be connected to XBL/PSN to use them. That is lame and completely unneeded.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I love the new costumes for the cast but hate that they cost so much, even as a bundle. Another thing that irks me is that you have to be connected to XBL/PSN to use them. That is lame and completely unneeded.

I am not coming at you negatively, because I agree somewhat. The cost is a bit ridiculous in terms of what we get.

How often are you not connected online these days, though, with the PS3 or the 360? The PS3 especially as it has built-in wireless?

Bizazedo on
  • Options
    House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hmm, I didn't realize you had to be connected online to use them. The only drawback I see to that is I would imagine most tournament consoles are not connected, so we won't see them in tourneys.

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

I am not coming at you negatively, because I agree somewhat. The cost is a bit ridiculous in terms of what we get.

How often are you not connected online these days, though, with the PS3 or the 360? The PS3 especially as it has built-in wireless?

Well, I'm mostly always connected online, it's just when I want to set up a tournament or something that I can't use them. Happened at PAX EAST last year. I was all :( town.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Well, I'm mostly always connected online, it's just when I want to set up a tournament or something that I can't use them. Happened at PAX EAST last year. I was all :( town.

Last year...that's weird, I swear we had the alt costumes at NEC XI. Not the new ones, but some of the PS3's had the alt costumes and I'm fairly certain we were not online.

Bizazedo on
  • Options
    SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Are you sure you can't use them offline? That sort of stuff only happens to me when I try to play something on a machine other than the one it was originally downloaded on.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Are you sure you can't use them offline? That sort of stuff only happens to me when I try to play something on a machine other than the one it was originally downloaded on.

Downloads are attached to the machine they were downloaded on originally. The only way you would have to be online is if the hardrive on the Xbox was moved from one to another. If it is a permanent move you can get Microsoft to move things for you or you can delete the item and redownload it on the new machine.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Downloads are attached to the machine they were downloaded on originally. The only way you would have to be online is if the hardrive on the Xbox was moved from one to another. If it is a permanent move you can get Microsoft to move things for you or you can delete the item and redownload it on the new machine.

Ah, that must be what happened. I brought my HD to PAX East and plugged it in. The more you know and all that jazz.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I don't see what deejay could fadc into from the first hit of a sobat

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    it'll probably be like Bison scissor FADC combos (IE, pointless except to maximize stun/show off). In theory, you'd probably be able to FADC into some jabs XX EX MGU -> ultra 2, but then scaling is going to eat you alive so meh.

aBlank on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    aBlank wrote: »
    it'll probably be like Bison scissor FADC combos (IE, pointless except to maximize stun/show off). In theory, you'd probably be able to FADC into some jabs XX EX MGU -> ultra 2, but then scaling is going to eat you alive so meh.

Three bars and ultra for minimal damage?

Pass.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    That was my reaction

more excited about easy hit confirms into lk dread and invincible up kick.

In other news, a friend of mine really wants to level up his chun. Would anyone have any advice for him on dealing with the following issues:

-best way to deal with meaty crossups
    -best way to stop or escape crossups done in the middle of block strings
    -when to backdash in block strings
    -general anti air strategy
    -footsie uses of hk vs mp vs hp etc.

He knows some of this already, I'm sure, but I want to cover all the bases he mentioned.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    That was my reaction

more excited about easy hit confirms into lk dread and invincible up kick.

In other news, a friend of mine really wants to level up his chun. Would anyone have any advice for him on dealing with the following issues:

-best way to deal with meaty crossups
    -best way to stop or escape crossups done in the middle of block strings
    -when to backdash in block strings
    -general anti air strategy
    -footsie uses of hk vs mp vs hp etc.

He knows some of this already, I'm sure, but I want to cover all the bases he mentioned.

I think I can help out with some of this. First off, IRT Footsies, he should read Maj's Footsie Handbook over on sonichurricane. It's incredibly useful.

Good anti-air Chun strats involve knowing spacing really well. Standing HK and standing HP are both solid options against jump-ins at different angles. Obviously when you've got meter you've go EX SBK to stop crossup shenanigans. Air to air normals, it seems like j.MK is pretty good too, though it will lose to some options (Bison's headstomp beats it clean, I think).

LibrarianThorne on