Options

Tron: FINISH THE GAME

• Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Oh and regarding the conversation a few pages back on Qquora (sp?) at the ending:
    Him taking her on his bike to go watch a sunrise is very implying of romantic undertones. But it's kinda realistic, as in "hey, now that we're not all running for our lives or to save the world, wanna sit and chat a bit under a sunrise?" and not "oh hey, badguy's dead, wanna bone?" that most movies take. Adventure or no, they only met a little while ago.

But yeah, IF the plotline was continued in another movie for whatever reason I'd be incredibly suprised if they didn't end up together. I really don't see a need for that though, since as I said earlier everything is kind of tied up neatly, and what isn't well use your damn imagination.

OMG almost forgot:
    When Tron is falling into death, as his lines switched back to blue, I had to choke back tears. Such a goddamn nerd, but it's one of those 'hero in the end' moments.

Astale on
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Astale wrote: »
    OMG almost forgot:
    When Tron is falling into death, as his lines switched back to blue, I had to choke back tears. Such a goddamn nerd, but it's one of those 'hero in the end' moments.
    I Fight For The Users!

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    AV Club's review:
    There are wordless stretches in Tron: Legacy, the sequel to Disney’s 1982 debacle-turned-nostalgia-piece Tron, where electronic circuits light up like streets on a city grid, and Daft Punk’s score pulses on the soundtrack, all to suggest a cool world where technology and human life have become pleasingly integrated. This was the forward-thinking philosophy that drove Jeff Bridges’ hippie visionary to invent a laser that turned real objects and people into computer code. Tron: Legacy makes the mistake of taking this idea far too gravely. It tries to create a mythology around “The Grid” that’s similar to that of The Matrix, but goes about it like the worst parts of Reloaded and Revolutions—explaining everything, clarifying nothing. Disney has once again constructed a digital environment out of cutting-edge special effects, only this time, it isn’t merely silly; it’s as dry and talky as a PBS panel show.

Via flashback to 1989, with Bridges appearing in a younger CG form that’s conspicuously odd and creepy, Tron: Legacy establishes that Bridges has been gone for 20 years, leaving his son with a large share of ENCOM International, now a Microsoft-like software giant. Much like his father, the son (played as an adult by Garrett Hedlund) grows up with a healthy disdain for authority and rebels against ENCOM by releasing their latest operating system for free. When Bridges pages his old partner (Bruce Boxleitner) from his now-abandoned arcade, Hedlund goes to investigate and winds up getting sucked into “The Grid,” where father and son reunite to battle the totalitarian forces led by Bridges’ nefarious hacker duplicate, CLU 2.

The purpose of CLU 2’s existence, the various competing factions in conflict, the rules that govern “The Grid” on the whole: All these things (and more) require some exposition, but Tron: Legacy makes a movie out of it. The original Tron was by no means perfect—it was barely adequate, for that matter—but it nonetheless had a sense of fun and adventure, turning on the adolescent fantasy of arcade junkies being inside the games they play. Director Joseph Kosinski teases the audience with updated light-cycle and discus-game showdowns, but it’s only an homage; his Tron pretends to greatness in ways that snuff out any flickers of joy. Because really, a movie set within the circuitry of an arcade game must be taken with the utmost seriousness.

I'm just not getting this
    Did all these people see a completely different movie from the one I watched?

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    HOPE

RIDES

ALONE

Antimatter on
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Apparently if you enjoyed Tron: Legacy. I thought it was terrible with nothing but boring exposition, a few limp-wristed action sequences and a deep regret for paying for 3d when there was nothing worthwhile.

Oh look, a train that'll take us slowly to our destination! Surprise!

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Antimatter wrote: »
    HOPE

RIDES

ALONE

That's what I want to see!

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    AV Club's review:

Given that writeup, he probably saw the same first fifteen minutes, then decided writing that up was good enough for a review.

Since the review is, well, basically "here is what happens in the first fifteen minutes".

Astale on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    fun fact, my dad said he saw ads for "that protomen movie" when he was referring to Tron Legacy :P

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Astale wrote: »
    AV Club's review:

Given that writeup, he probably saw the same first fifteen minutes, then decided writing that up was good enough for a review.

Since the review is, well, basically "here is what happens in the first fifteen minutes".

I normally really dig AV Club's writeups of things so it's particularly disappointing for me

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Antimatter wrote: »
    fun fact, my dad said he saw ads for "that protomen movie" when he was referring to Tron Legacy :P

Hahahaha this is fantastic

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    THERE IS A CITY THAT THIS DARKNESS CAN'T HIDE

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So there's apparently a theory about the ending that has some pretty horrific implications
    The reason Quorra gets a physical body is that the laser builds it out of Kevin's stored organic material

D:

Green on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Green wrote: »
    So there's apparently a theory about the ending that has some pretty horrific implications
    The reason Quorra gets a physical body is that the laser builds it out of Kevin's stored organic material

D:
    I just assumed the laser converted mass to energy and vice versa.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    The matter would be rearranged in such a radically different fashion as to be a meaningless issue

Think of the matter that went into making the people you've fucked

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    fuuuuuck me the game is hard

that or I haven't gotten the hang of it yet

You also haven't gotten the big explosion upgrade for the bomb disc yet, which royally fucks up anything that gets in your path.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The matter would be rearranged in such a radically different fashion as to be a meaningless issue

Every girl you've ever fucked is like fucking her parents and grandparents ad infinitum

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    BusterK wrote: »

Every girl you've ever fucked is like fucking her parents and grandparents ad infinitum

And stars, and possibly weird alien creatures or plants

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Also all the water you drink is poop water
    All of it
    Always

BusterK on
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Kinda cool that Cillian Murphy is uncredited
    I was expecting him or an evil program he built to appear later in the movie, but I didn't realize we never saw him again until I was driving home.

I guess they were just setting him up to be a sequel villain, as corny as the whole idea is.

I may not have been paying close enough attention, but did their suits not glow brighter when they drank the glowy grid water like in the first?

That is one of my favorite scenes in the original, makes me so thirsty

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    BusterK wrote: »

And that's how I like it

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Cillian Murphy is cool and all
    But he's no David Warner

BusterK on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    hey did anyone stay thru the credits, if so did anything happen?

Barcardi on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    so finally got around to watching the original Tron

they

they kinda just jump right into the story dont they

like almost zero exposition

otherwise, pretty neat

Joolander on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Barcardi wrote: »

Nothing happened.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    kdrudy wrote: »
    Green wrote: »

D:
    I just assumed the laser converted mass to energy and vice versa.

Yeah, at first
    I wondered if Quorra was going to inhabit Kevin Flynn's stored body but apparently the laser can create a human body no-problem. You'd think THAT would be a marketable product.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Barcardi wrote: »

Olivia Wilde got her tits out

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Crashmo wrote: »
    Kinda cool that Cillian Murphy is uncredited
    I was expecting him or an evil program he built to appear later in the movie, but I didn't realize we never saw him again until I was driving home.

I guess they were just setting him up to be a sequel villain, as corny as the whole idea is.

I may not have been paying close enough attention, but did their suits not glow brighter when they drank the glowy grid water like in the first?

That is one of my favorite scenes in the original, makes me so thirsty

They are drinking Frost Glacier Freeze Gatorade.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Blue Sky Disney's review of the film is pretty close to my own feelings
    28 years, 161 days later, Tron's legacy lives on. Joe Kosinski's understated long-awaited sequel to Steven Lisberger's game changing electronic mythos is a visual triumph, a world unlike anything we've ever seen before, transforming the iconography of its predecessor into an awesome 3D spectacle, but it is an imperfect world, its breathtaking three dimensions propped upon the two dimensional pillars of its problematic plot and one that would be looked upon with the consternations of its biggest adversary who, ironically, is the one who nearly completely undermines and very nearly derezzes it… Clu.

The film's biggest special effect is also its biggest failure. The technology that I had hoped would be the promise of taking Tron once again to a new revolutionary cinematic level and breaking new technical ground in much the same way as the original film had ushered in a new era at the dawn of the digital film making frontier cannot raise the bar set by its own ambition and demonstrates that we still have quite a ways to go before digital actors can convincingly look indistinguishable from real human performers. The CGI animation used to make Jeff Bridges look 20 years younger metaphorically resemble the poor prosthetic makeup of a cheap rubber mask and rendered like cut-scenes from its video game counterpart Tron: Evolution. Having watched numerous films starring Bridges throughout his career I can tell you that he did not look at all like his poorly rendered doppelganger at that age. The eyes, the brows, the cheekbones, and the mouth have an unconvincing artificiality about them that betrays the illusion and takes us out of this fantastic visual world and Bridges raspy aged voice also betrays the effect. In a creepy sort of way it almost works for the character within the context of the story because he is supposed to be an artificial construct and we can almost buy that he doesn't look quite like a real human being, but during the film's opening scenes when we see Bridges in flashback playing younger Kevin Flynn telling bedtime stories to his son, Sam, it robs the moment between a father and his son of its already forced sincerity and dehumanizes it in a cold and unsettling way.

The plot is almost video-game like in its objective as the competing faction of Clu's militaristic forces must obtain elder Flynn's identity disc which is a master key to unlock the door to our world so that he and his army can take it over. It is never explained how exactly virtual programs existing in the digital world can somehow manifest themselves into tangible living matter in our physical world just as it does not attempt to explain why a User like Sam can bleed in its digital realm other than the fact he is simply a User and "he's different," nor does it attempt to explain how Kevin Flynn has aged 20 years trapped in his digital confinement when theoretically he shouldn't have physically aged at all as a digital avatar of himself. Narratively it misses the opportunity to explore such philosophical questions and complex idioms of science fiction as it so masterfully eluded to in the film's promising test trailer shown at Comic Con and either completely ignores or avoids those questions it raises and is the other major disappointment of the film. The original Tron explored such intriguing philosophical ideas around the religious beliefs of its programs and their creators but Tron Legacy's most astonishing revelation delivered by Alan when he tells Sam that his father was about to change science, medicine and religion in such a profound way is simply thrown away in a single line of expository dialogue. We never learn the real reason why Flynn created this world in the first place other than the fact that it was far out biodigital jazz, man.

Once again Jeff Bridges is the cement that holds the foundations of the Troniverse together solely with his strength and conviction of his performance as zen guru cyber-Jesus Flynn to his Judas megalomaniacal alter-ego Clu in some sort of virtual yin and yang. Garret Hedlund is surprisingly likeable as his son, Sam. Thankfully, he's no wooden Hayden Christiansen (although he would have made a much better Anakin Skywalker) and plays the cliched angst-ridden rebellious youth with convincingly noble admiration. Reciprocally, Olivia Wilde plays the character of Quorra with a truthful childlike innocence and wonder that demonstrates she has more to offer as an actress than just luscious fanboy eyecandy. Michael Sheen livens the film with his jestly rendition of David Bowie circa glam rock era Ziggy Stardust. And once again Bruce Boxleitner returns as Alan Bradley aka Tron… sort of. After all it's called TRON Legacy, right? Though, like the first film, the story is centered around Flynn's character and his legacy of which Tron is merely incidental to. The enigmatic character of Rinzler is Clu's badass henchman, one part Darth Maul wielding two discs, and one part Boba Fett as a mysterious tracker whose helmeted identity is concealed and it doesn't take half a nerd to figure out who he is.

As a 3D film Tron Legacy works perfectly in most part because its illuminated electronic visuals naturally lends itself to creating brightly rendered 3D images which has been the downfall of all other 3D films. Tron Legacy is by far the real Avatar. It makes the world of Pandora look like a cartoon by comparison. It's a place I would want to visit again because it is unlike anything seen in our world or any other. The brilliantly 3D rendered Disney logo showcasing the Magic Kingdom "Tronified" is appropriately memorable for setting the tone of the film which is then 2D until Sam is transported into Tron's colorful three dimensional illuminated world like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz. As a first-time director Joe Kosinski proves that he has the technical prowess to design a fully immersive world much like Ridley Scott did with Alien and Blade Runner but his weakness is marshaling a cohesive script equally as interesting to support it, but then again the original Tron, to be fair, didn't have a strong script to support it either so in that sense they are both equal in that they are both great visual spectacles but lack any real cohesive structure and substance. The numerous homages to the original film are carefully and cleverly handled, however the cascade of homages to other sci-fi films like 2001, Blade Runner and Star Wars seem almost out of place in Tron's world. I could have done without the banal Lucasian dialogue of the Light Jet sequence with lines like "Here they come" and "I got him!" without expecting the next line to deliver a "Great kid! Don't get cocky!"

As a fan of the original Tron I am torn. Part of me is protective of its mythos and at the same time heartbroken that what was once a unique, groundbreaking film has now been rendered obsolete by its own sequel that has taken the technology and improved upon it in nearly every visual way. The Lighcycle and Disc Wars sequences, for example, are spectacularly exhilarating and render the graphics in the original film relics of the Atari age by comparison and why Disney has wisely kept the original film hidden away in its vaults and not releasing it on Blu-Ray yet. Fortunately as a sequel it delivers without the bitter disappointment of something like Star Wars or Indiana Jones. It's no Phantom Menace or Crystal Skull, thank God, but it's not the potentially epic masterpiece it could have been either but rather just another tent-pole blockbuster special effects film. If it performs well there will no doubt be more Tron films that confident Disney has stated they already have in development along with an animated TV show but as a film Tron Legacy can stand on its own without them but should there be would require the participation of Jeff Bridges and Bruce Boxleitner to make them work if they have any chance at all of succeeding. Without them, it wouldn't be a Tron film at all. Tron lives. He fights for the Users.

DrIanMalcolm on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    shit was cool, man

can't wait to see it again

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Kinda sucks that all of Daft Punk's music is spread out over various releases

Special Edition has five extra tracks, iTunes has two, Amazon has one, and Nokia Ovi has one

DrIanMalcolm on
  • Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    edited December 2010
    So I finally made it to the TRON Legacy store here in LA on Friday, ended up buying the soundtrack and one of these neato controllers.
    804201b.jpg

Then saw the movie in 3D later that evening. :)

Bogey on
    Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Aw yeah, fistbumps Bogey : D

I was gonna get the controllers but my tv is too far away from my bed for a wired one. Gonna go to walmart before christmas and buy the hell out of some toys though :3

Kochikens on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Will likely buy one of the Wii Remotes if I come across one, but they're really sparse as far as I can tell.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    edited December 2010
    Kochikens wrote: »
    Aw yeah, fistbumps Bogey : D

I was gonna get the controllers but my tv is too far away from my bed for a wired one. Gonna go to walmart before christmas and buy the hell out of some toys though :3
    I'll have the same problem and will have to move a chair in front of the tv.

Haha, I also planned on hitting up Toys R Us the day after Christmas, need to get as many TRON toys as I can! :P

Bogey on
    Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    kinda want the tron mouse because it has everything I want in a mouse

except a low price

Shabooty on
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I want the keyboard

but man that is an expensive keyboard

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    that movie was nicey mediocre
    Fun to watch but I won't remember anything about it next month

Franko on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I'll be honest, I never actually saw the original Tron from start to finish until a few months ago, and then I could appreciate how big it was, technologically, at the time

But this movie was way more fun and I'd much sooner rewatch it than the original

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    They did a crazy amount of work to get the glowing costumes to look as they did on the original film...makes the new film's effect seem lazy by comparison.

I really need to rewatch the making of featurette again. Amazing stuff.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    they hand-painted the effect onto every cel in the original, didn't they?

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif