As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tron: FINISH THE GAME

• Options
    thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    i mostly wanted to share the interesting parts of the interview

because it was quite illuminating to me

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    u63ru63r Jon "Bad Wasabi" Wood Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Only part i thought they missed the mark on was
    Tron should have had a better sacrifice. I mean he ends up not even stopping Clu from getting to the portal first, and do any of the other characters even see it? No one ever even mentions him again. He also just randomly decides to be good again, he should have "turned" either when he was fighting Quorra/Sam or at the portal so at least there would be some reason for him to change back.
    Watch closely now.
    When he fights Sam, he stops as soon as he realizes Sam's a User, not a Program. The entire film, he never directly harms Sam after the fight, or Kevin. Remember, he has not seen a user for centuries. After all, he fights for them. Quorra, even as an ISO, is just a program.

u63r on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Speaking of Quorra
    I wonder if part of the reason she was an Iso, spontaneously generated by the Grid itself, was so that there wasn't a "wait a minute if Kevin made her that kind of makes her his sister" moment

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    whoops tron is pretty cool

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    thorgot wrote: »
    They did a crazy amount of work to get the glowing costumes to look as they did on the original film...makes the new film's effect seem lazy by comparison.

I really need to rewatch the making of featurette again. Amazing stuff.

the guy in charge of costumes and light cycles and probably other stuff was on NPR yesterday.

he said all the lights on the costumes were actual lights on the costumes, not added afterwards, since they wanted to get the added effect of lights showing up on other people too. (I'm sure there was a lot of post-processing there, though).

he also said he went through all the sketch books of the original light cycle designer and discovered the way they had wanted to do things (with an open cockpit), but didn't have the technology, so he worked off of the guy's original design.

your assumption (and my assumption) that almost everything was CGI was unfounded. "People would be surprised at how much of the movie was real."

so no, they were not lazy. they were the opposite of lazy.

Lazy only in comparison to the fact that they had to essentially treat every frame of film by hand for the original Tron. It was handled like a cel animated film...frame by frame. I mean hell it's right there in the making of feature "Due to its difficulty and cost, this process would never be repeated for another feature film."

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Crazed LlamaCrazed Llama Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    u63r wrote: »
    Tron should have had a better sacrifice. I mean he ends up not even stopping Clu from getting to the portal first, and do any of the other characters even see it? No one ever even mentions him again. He also just randomly decides to be good again, he should have "turned" either when he was fighting Quorra/Sam or at the portal so at least there would be some reason for him to change back.
    Watch closely now.
    When he fights Sam, he stops as soon as he realizes Sam's a User, not a Program. The entire film, he never directly harms Sam after the fight, or Kevin. Remember, he has not seen a user for centuries. After all, he fights for them. Quorra, even as an ISO, is just a program.

I figured he stopped during the disk battle because Clu's plan was to bring someone through the portal (which is why he sent the fax).

The only real reason I can see for his realization was he finally had a definite kill shot on the Flynn's and couldn't make himself do it, but for the titular character I was hoping it would be a bigger part of the ending.

I guess I was also hoping for the Tron lead program revolution.

Crazed Llama on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Watch closely now.

I figured he stopped during the disk battle because Clu's plan was to bring someone through the portal (which is why he sent the fax).

The only real reason I can see for his realization was he finally had a definite kill shot on the Flynn's and couldn't make himself do it, but for the titular character I was hoping it would be a bigger part of the ending.

They're saving that for the sequel, TRON: REVOLUTIONS

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I saw this yesterday.

I want to go see it again in IMAX 3D.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
  • Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Went to see this in 3D tonight. In the last 20 minutes the voice track just cut out completely. They couldn't fix it, but the sound effects and music worked just fine.

It was pretty frustrating.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    FirmSkater wrote: »
    Went to see this in 3D tonight. In the last 20 minutes the voice track just cut out completely. They couldn't fix it, but the sound effects and music worked just fine.

It was pretty frustrating.

Usually this scores you a free ticket to go back.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, please tell me they offered you compensation. If not, I hope you kept your stub so you can go back and talk to a manager.

They're probably already prepared to give you a free ticket.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Watch closely now.

When Tron sees Flynn in the plane I'm pretty sure he has sort of a flashback that breaks him out of Clu's control. It's probably the first time he sees him in to what amounts to hundreds of years.

But yeah, the way he's handled at the end is weird. I'm really surprised that they didn't take his damn mask off once the characters find out who he is. Maybe more virtual young Boxlitner face would have broken the budget? I dunno.

But anyway this move is radical as all hell. Hope to see it again in IMAX soon.

august on
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Does Clu control Rinzler? Or how is their relationship meant to be interpreted, given his transformation later?

Horowitz: [Clu] repurposed Tron into Rinzler, and that's the key difference between Clu and Kevin Flynn - Kevin Flynn could create, Clu could repurpose. All Clu can do is destroy or repurpose, and what he did with Rinzler was, he took Tron and repurposed him. Can he completely control him? No. But I think the idea for us was that the way we wanted to play it is he forgot who he was. It's almost like amnesia. But there was a core to his programming so deep that when he first sees the blood trickle and he says, "User," that's like the first step of like that really core program reawakening.

Kitsis: But when he gets face-to-face with Kevin Flynn is when it slowly starts to come back. So because Kevin was off the Grid and he was hiding for so many cycles, as we say, he never had the opportunity.

Kochikens on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm a little surprised that the grid wasn't connected to the Internet. I mean in the first one the master control program seemed to be jacking programs from every where but in legacy it seemed like it was a closed system.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Why would Flynn connect his creation to the internet? That'd not only pollute the system with outside influence and potentially open up and reveal his world to his corporate enemies but also would allow escape paths for his creations in case any of them went rogue like the MCP.

He'd probably want to avoid another issue like what happened in Encom's network.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    It was a completely closed system.

Kochikens on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    If the Grid was attached to the internet all the programs would be sick of us and want to kill us (more) and it would probably turn into a David Lynch movie or something.

august on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It just seemed that the first first movie was an open network. And i assumed that legacy was in the same place.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Well Flynn does explicitly state that he created a whole new system, and brought Tron over from the old one.

august on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Blake T wrote: »
    It just seemed that the first first movie was an open network. And i assumed that legacy was in the same place.

The internet really wasn't a thing at all when the first movie came out. The only contact they had with real life with through "IO towers

Kochikens on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Oh really? I must have forgotten that part.

Was Olivia Wilde on screen at the time?

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Kochikens wrote: »

The internet really wasn't a thing at all when the first movie came out. The only contact they had with real life with through "IO towers

Just with the fact that the old grid had banking programs and gaming programs I was under the impression at the very least it was part of a reasonable sized network.

Plus wasn't Tron originally uploaded remotely?

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Blake I think

I think this means you need to rewatch both movies and then play the game.

Kochikens on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Just with the fact that the old grid had banking programs and gaming programs I was under the impression at the very least it was part of a reasonable sized network.

It all took place within the massive data network of the ENCOM software company and Tron was probably uploaded into the system through terminal at the building.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Kochi if you buy me the game I will play it.

I think I am going to finish mass effect 2 again first.

Blake T on
  • Options
    oddbilloddbill Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    As a long time technical support person, this one line made me laugh when no one else did:

Clu: (being mean, hating on the users)
    Quorra: You're wrong! I've seen what users are capable of! You don't belong with them!

Me: Honey, I've seen what they're capable of too. Maybe that's not your strongest argument.

Srsly - I know why the programs hate us.

oddbill on
  • Options
    u63ru63r Jon "Bad Wasabi" Wood Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Edcrab wrote: »
    BusterK wrote: »
    I thought Olivia Wilde did a good job and any romantic subplot would have been really, really out of place
    "We have eight hours to save the world
    Let's bone"
    Yeah I was actually kinda impressed that they didn't end up kissing at the very end, having magically fallen madly in love after having known each other for about one night
    If it was "madly", they would probably have had sex. Or at least kissed. This seems more like just regular old love. And people do tend to form closer attachments when exposed to stressful situations together, whether romantically or bromatically, especially if they've saved each other's lives.

/srsbsns

u63r on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm so glad the writers/filmmakers avoided the idea of the internet. So glad.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Solar wrote: »
    DHS Odium wrote: »
    After the movie my wife said that Olivia Wilde would make an awesome Major if they did a live action Ghost in the Shell. I could see that.
    YES

Oh yeah that would be great

Holy shit am I glad i stumbled two pages back.

THIS MUST BE DONE!

WMain00 on
  • Options
    VestyVesty Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    re:internet

Don't forget Flynn got trapped inside the system in '89. The internet wasn't much of anything at the time. Not surprising at all he wouldn't be connected to it.

Vesty on
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Vesty wrote: »

Don't forget Flynn got trapped inside the system in '89. The internet wasn't much of anything at the time. Not surprising at all he wouldn't be connected to it.

That's pretty much my thoughts. That and he, Tron, and Clu2 were still building the system (at least finishing it) when Clu2 staged his coup. I wouldn't doubt that once Flynn got the system running, the ISOs helping, and everything done he's open the Grid up to the rest of the world. Espcially to tout his discoveries, but he was in the R&D phase of development.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

Tron was originally loaded from a local machine

But before Flynn and company actually broke into Encom in the first movie, I thought that he had been hacking into Encom's system from an outside source, attempting to recover the proof that Dillinger had ripped him off

So at least in the original movie, I thought it was implied that it wasn't a completely closed network, even if that wasn't intentional...

Vargas Prime on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

But before Flynn and company actually broke into Encom in the first movie, I thought that he had been hacking into Encom's system from an outside source, attempting to recover the proof that Dillinger had ripped him off

So at least in the original movie, I thought it was implied that it wasn't a completely closed network, even if that wasn't intentional...

nah he was in encom when he did it, that's how the laser was shot at him

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Mysst wrote: »

nah he was in encom when he did it, that's how the laser was shot at him

Yeah, that was when they broke in so he could forge them new access clearance.

At the beginning of the movie, though, he's hacking his way in from outside I believe, which is why Dillinger cuts off everyone's clearance in the first place.

Vargas Prime on
  • Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    TankHammer wrote: »
    Yeah, please tell me they offered you compensation. If not, I hope you kept your stub so you can go back and talk to a manager.

They're probably already prepared to give you a free ticket.

Yeah they handed out free tickets to everyone. I should have mentioned that sorry.

I will probably use it to see True Grit.

Honestly I wasn't all that excited to see the movie. I was way more into hearing the soundtrack in a movie theater sound system. Which i did.

The parts of the movie I did see weren't bad though.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    so can we all agree the best part of the movie was the bop on the head

Squall on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    The best part of the movie was
    "FLYNN! AM I STILL SUPPOSED TO CREATE THE PERFECT SYSTEM?"

"... yeah?"

and also Oliva Wilde's everything.

august on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Vesty wrote: »

That's pretty much my thoughts. That and he, Tron, and Clu2 were still building the system (at least finishing it) when Clu2 staged his coup. I wouldn't doubt that once Flynn got the system running, the ISOs helping, and everything done he's open the Grid up to the rest of the world. Espcially to tout his discoveries, but he was in the R&D phase of development.

Yeah, this guy's got it right.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Her eyes and her smile and her inappropriate little laugh and oh my goodness

Grey Ghost on